Five Plus Years...And Nothing Has Changed. Boheim Needs To Retire. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Five Plus Years...And Nothing Has Changed. Boheim Needs To Retire.

Pretty good JG. If I recall you were saying it’s been time for JB to hang it up for years now.

Its a bit sad but its sadder to see him hang on when the game has changed so much. I actually love our freshman class but they won’t all be here in 3 years when they will finally mature enough to win consistently at this level. The games changed and Jim seemingly doesn’t want to deal with it.

Hope youre doing well. Nice seeing the Mets back in the playoffs.

It was so obvious at the time. So obvious. Anybody that didn’t want to see it just didn’t want to admit it. Now we have to be careful we are starting to get to the point where these 17/18 year old recruits won’t even remember when we were a great program. Just think our last great team was probably the one with Wes in 2012. These recruits were 7 or 8 then. All they’ve seen since they have been teenagers is bad Syracuse basketball.
We made the Final Four in 2013 and 2016. We were the number one team in the country in 2014. But yeah, it’s been a steadily diminishing 5-6 years, as Hak said, and JB kept doing just enough to hold off the pitchforks for a little longer—a surprise Sweet 16 run in 2018, a solid 8 seed in 2019, and another Sweet 16 in 2021. But two losing seasons in a row (if it comes to that)—plus lackadaisical recruiting and bad roster construction—may finally put the fork in him.

Last edited:
After we probably get crushed at ND on Saturday, there might be 7-8,000 people at next Tuesday nights game. That’s the only thing that will get the administrations attention. When they stop getting revenue, JB will be gone.

After we probably get crushed at ND on Saturday, there might be 7-8,000 people at next Tuesday nights game. That’s the only thing that will get the administrations attention. When they stop getting revenue, JB will be gone.
That’s an evenly matched game. They scored 51 against the Bonnies.

If Jim Boeheim wants to come back and next year be his final year, do you think JW has the stones to tell him no?

He had better, or they'll be playing to an empty house.

It’s a personal thing. He hates when I’m right.
jennifer lawrence ok GIF

$$$ it’s the only thing they will listen to

I posted this FIVE YEARS AGO! It aged pretty well, IMO.

Ugh. He'll never step down. And no-one's going to force him out. What a mess.
That’s a fun read. Also to note who said what in support or opposition and where they are now….

It was commendable then, to stand up and face the fire.

I don’t recall seeing any posts from people who now recognize they were wrong.
”Identity” kills intellectual integrity. This isn’t about congratulating ourselves—just a clap back at a lot of moronic accusations and characterizations.

One day—hopefully it doesn’t take five years—we’ll revisit this thread and laugh about how quickly X was able to turn things around. And we’ll be on our way toward saying X is the program and can go out on his own terms….

Its a bit sad but its sadder to see him hang on when the game has changed so much. I actually love our freshman class but they won’t all be here in 3 years when they will finally mature enough to win consistently at this level. The games changed and Jim seemingly doesn’t want to deal with it.

Hope youre doing well. Nice seeing the Mets back in the playoffs.
gives new meaning to the 'compliment', "He's forgotten more basketball than any of us will ever know!"

the old coaching maxim used to be " i'll beat you with my team and then swap and beat you with yours."

the old coaching maxim used to be " i'll beat you with my team and then swap and beat you with yours."
I've never heard that. That's good.

It was so obvious at the time. So obvious. Anybody that didn’t want to see it just didn’t want to admit it. Now we have to be careful we are starting to get to the point where these 17/18 year old recruits won’t even remember when we were a great program. Just think our last great team was probably the one with Wes in 2012. These recruits were 7 or 8 then. All they’ve seen since they have been teenagers is bad Syracuse basketball.
If you're talking about Wes Johnson, that was 2010. 2012 was Waiters, Scoop, Fab Melo, etc. That further illustrates the point though. We've fallen so far even the diehards are mixing up not too distant history.

1670080653329.png

This aged terribly. Gary Williams didn’t have a losing season since the early nineties and the aftermath of the Len Bias disaster. His last years were STILL better than this…product.

Since Williams retired, they endured ten seasons of Mark Turgeon mediocrity (which would actually be an enviable position for us right now) and are now ranked and coming off a win against the team that just raced us by thirty. So keep the hope alive!

5 years ago I was still holding out hope that it was just a down year and he could turn it around and end on a high.

It was the trifecta of the 2018-19 team really disappointing, the terribleness of the 2020 team, and the mismanagement of the 2021 team that really turned me into realizing it’s over and it’s not coming back.

In hindsight, 2018 would’ve been the perfect time to retire. Improbable sweet 16 run? Go out in a blaze of glory and let someone else coach your kid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom