Five PS sports writers say SU will go 6-6 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Five PS sports writers say SU will go 6-6

Status
Not open for further replies.
RMH if you cant see how ridiculous you sound saying Syracuse "might" have one of the best defenses in all of Div 1 then I dont know what to tell you other then its not 1987. Your comments are the typical over the top Syracuse fan who refuses to take the orange colored glasses off for a second and realize where this team is at and thats the admin/coaches are still trying to build this program back to where it was in the late 80's and 90's.

No surprise that anyone who doesnt agree wth you is somehow unusually combative, like I am somehow posting on the football board everyday trashing the program. The negative comment is also laughable, sorry I dont have Rutgers Al syndrome. Good luck with those in game rants, I have season tickets and dont post during games.
You do realize that SU had a top 20 offense nationally last year despite "where this program is right now"don't you jeremy? Also 3 years a go SU had a top 10 defense nationally. BTW they won 8 games two of the past 3 years, and 6of the last 7. Thats 'where this program is right now" .

You do realize that SU had a top 20 offense nationally last year despite "where this program is right now"don't you jeremy? Also 3 years a go SU had a top 10 defense nationally. BTW they won 8 games two of the past 3 years, and 6of the last 7. Thats 'where this program is right now" .

Syracuse hasnt won 8 games six of the last seven years so no idea what your trying to say there. Your looking at the rankings as if that translates to being an elite program. Syracuse was ranked 17th in total offense. Do you know who was ahead of them? La Tech (#1), Marshall, Nevada, Troy, Houston, Fresno State, North Carolina and WVU. Outside of maybe UNC do you think any of those teams would have beaten Syracuse last year? I think Syracuse was better then all of those teams last year, jsut as I think teams ranked below us like Alabama, FSU, Ohio State, LSU, Nebraska were better teams then Syracuse last year. Alabama was ranked #31 in offense last year, can you honestly sit here and tell me Syracuse had a better offense then Alabama last year? Its the same thing for defense. Syracuse was ranked 48th, Uconn and Rutgers were ranked 9th and tenth. Do you really believe UConn had the 9th best defense in all of Div 1 last year?

Syracuse won 8 games in the Big East including the bowl win. Thats tremendous progress from where this program was just a few years ago and a sign that Syracuse can hopefully string together a period of success like we had in the 80's and 90's. But were still a rebuilding program going up against a new conference with increased competition, FSU/Clemson plus schools like Miami and Va Tech. Lets string together back to back bowl seasons for the first time in a decade plus before we start announcing were back.

No way Northwestern, Clemson or Florida St hangs 40 on this year's defense in a regulation game. If OT happens...then maybe.

The defense was not great last year. I think they can be very good this year, but great, that's a stretch. They need to be stronger against the run, significantly reduce the big yardage plays they give up, and generate more turnovers to be great.

In consecutive weeks they were shredded by SFla(552yds, 36 pts), Cinci (470 yds, 35pts), Louisville (472yds, 26pts), and Missouri (484yds, 27pts). It didn't take USC overtime to post 42.

Hell the week before SFla they gave up 296 yds passsing to UConn and then gave up 369 yds and 263 yds rushing to SFla and Cinci after holding Uconn to -6. And after getting run over they gave up 424 yds and 364 yds to Louisville and Missouri in back to back weeks through the air. Their performance was very inconsistent.

Early in the year USC and Stony Brook went for 258 and 217 respectively.

WVU was a tremendous performance, but it wasn't reflective of how they played most of the year.

The defense was not great last year. I think they can be very good this year, but great, that's a stretch. They need to be stronger against the run, significantly reduce the big yardage plays they give up, and generate more turnovers to be great.

In consecutive weeks they were shredded by SFla(552yds, 36 pts), Cinci (470 yds, 35pts), Louisville (472yds, 26pts), and Missouri (484yds, 27pts). It didn't take USC overtime to post 42.

Hell the week before SFla they gave up 296 yds passsing to UConn and then gave up 369 yds and 263 yds rushing to SFla and Cinci after holding Uconn to -6. And after getting run over they gave up 424 yds and 364 yds to Louisville and Missouri in back to back weeks through the air. Their performance was very inconsistent.

WVU was a tremendous performance, but it wasn't reflective of how they played most of the year.
You must stop. This is neither the time nor the place to make a logical argument that is based in actual statistics.

Thanks for posting the yardage recaps, makes the posts talking about possible best defense in the country look even more idiotic.

Syracuse hasnt won 8 games six of the last seven years so no idea what your trying to say there. Your looking at the rankings as if that translates to being an elite program. Syracuse was ranked 17th in total offense. Do you know who was ahead of them? La Tech (#1), Marshall, Nevada, Troy, Houston, Fresno State, North Carolina and WVU. Outside of maybe UNC do you think any of those teams would have beaten Syracuse last year? I think Syracuse was better then all of those teams last year, jsut as I think teams ranked below us like Alabama, FSU, Ohio State, LSU, Nebraska were better teams then Syracuse last year. Alabama was ranked #31 in offense last year, can you honestly sit here and tell me Syracuse had a better offense then Alabama last year? Its the same thing for defense. Syracuse was ranked 48th, Uconn and Rutgers were ranked 9th and tenth. Do you really believe UConn had the 9th best defense in all of Div 1 last year?

Syracuse won 8 games in the Big East including the bowl win. Thats tremendous progress from where this program was just a few years ago and a sign that Syracuse can hopefully string together a period of success like we had in the 80's and 90's. But were still a rebuilding program going up against a new conference with increased competition, FSU/Clemson plus schools like Miami and Va Tech. Lets string together back to back bowl seasons for the first time in a decade plus before we start announcing were back.
Yes I think SU had a MUCH better offense than Alabama. In fact Alabama had a terrible offense. If you don't think SU was better then you're clueless. If you think the SEC is so great don't forget Louisville lit up Florida in a BCS bowl game.

SU had a VERY tough schedule laat year so I KNOW that everything they did was completely legit and against topnotch competition. The other teams that you mention cant say the same.

No way Northwestern, Clemson or Florida St hangs 40 on this year's defense in a regulation game. If OT happens...then maybe.

Outside of the truly elite defenses like Alabama, I think Clemson will be able to score 40 on just about anyone this year.

FSU is breaking in a redshirt freshman QB, albeit very talented. By then he'll have at least a half year experience under his belt. And if it's an afternoon game in Tallahassee with the sun beating down on only one sideline (great home field advantage trick), then it would surprise me over the course of 60 minutes.

I'd be surprised if Northwestern gets to 40. If they do, I would think it would involve some D and ST TDs or big gainers (like last year).

Thanks for posting the yardage recaps, makes the posts talking about possible best defense in the country look even more idiotic.
If your're going to throw stats around SU was sixth in tackles for loss. If you're going to use individual games didn't they hold Pitt to negatvie rushing yardage last year? Pitt had great backs.

WVU '11, Louisville '12.....Clemson '13! That's our yearly game where a good opponent comes to the Dome and walks into a buzzsaw. They won't know what hit them!

Yes I think SU had a MUCH better offense than Alabama. In fact Alabama had a terrible offense. If you don't think SU was better then you're clueless. If you think the SEC is so great don't forget Louisville lit up Florida in a BCS bowl game.

SU had a VERY tough schedule laat year so I KNOW that everything they did was completely legit and against topnotch competition. The other teams that you mention cant say the same.

The national championship team that beat LSU, Georgia, Notre Dame, Florida etc had a terrible offense. Got it. You might want to take a break from syracusefan.com for a few weeks, the only clueless person is you buddy. Alabama would have put up 50+ on Syracuse we woudl have been lucky to get to 20.

Lville beating Florida has nothing to do with this argument, no idea why you would bring that in. Your last paragraph contradicts your entire argument, you think Syracuse had a tough schedule, what the hell did Alabama have?

If your're going to throw stats around SU was sixth in tackles for loss. If you're going to use individual games didn't they hold Pitt to negatvie rushing yardage last year? Pitt had great backs.

He was giving yardage totals, not end of the year rankings like you were using. You keep quoting that Syracuse had a top 10 defense three years ago, that has zero relevance on this years team, your grasping for straws.

The second half of the year you could argue they had one of the top 5 offenses in the country. From Uconn on they averaged 240 yds rushing, 265 passing, and 36pts per game over the last 7 games. That is elite.

From where they were even the year before it was an incredible leap. A truly corner turning performance.

Last time I checked the game was won by points scored not yardage gained. Alabama scored 8.7 more points per game than us (we were only 56th nationally in points/game) while generating only 31 fewer yards while playing against tougher teams. Their quarterback also had the highest passer rating in the country last year at 175.3. They were very balanced, running for more yards than they threw for. Don't mistake a conservative offensive philosophy that wins national championships for an inferior offense.

He was giving yardage totals, not end of the year rankings like you were using. You keep quoting that Syracuse had a top 10 defense three years ago, that has zero relevance on this years team, your grasping for straws.
You make it sound like Alabama in the NFL last year. Got news for they were'nt! this is where your negativity is so clear. SU had a legit top 20 offense last year. Can you admit that? It wasn't against weak competition.

Last time I checked the game was won by points scored not yardage gained. Alabama scored 8.7 more points per game than us (we were only 56th nationally in points/game) while generating only 31 fewer yards while playing against tougher teams. Their quarterback also had the highest passer rating in the country last year at 175.3. They were very balanced, running for more yards than they threw for. Don't mistake a conservative offensive philosophy that wins national
Last time I checked the game was won by points scored not yardage gained. Alabama scored 8.7 more points per game than us (we were only 56th nationally in points/game) while generating only 31 fewer yards while playing against tougher teams. Their quarterback also had the highest passer rating in the country last year at 175.3. They were very balanced, running for more yards than they threw for. Don't mistake a conservative offensive philosophy that wins national championships for an inferior offense.
Look get away from the Alabama comparison and just give SU credit for being an outstanding offense against top notch competition. Some people like Jeremy make you feel like SU is coming off a weak year and their accomplishments should be followed by an asterix. He's dead wrong just like he was all of last year.

You make it sound like Alabama in the NFL last year. Got news for they were'nt! this is where your negativity is so clear. SU had a legit top 20 offense last year. Can you admit that? It wasn't against weak competition.

No one is saying they played against the MAC or the old school SWAC all year but the competition level was obviously not on the level of an SEC, Big 10 or even an ACC. Syracuse had a great offense the second half of the season as GO noted. They were running the ball with Smith getting starters carries and throwign the ball downfield with Sales and Lemon which opened up Wales and the Backs underneath. They had a great offense but most of those skill players are gone and were replacing a lot especially at WR.

We were also just discussing the Defense, yet you once again changed the topic when you were presented with facts. Syracuse was a good team last year, they werent anywhere close to an elite level team or a top end team that this program aspires to be.

Are you slow? Show me the post where I said Syracuse was coming off a weak year or that there accomplishments should have an asterisk. I praised Lemon and the offense down the strech and for Marrone/Hacket for opening up the intermediate passing game that totally transformed the offense. Everyone on here was happy how Syracuse finished the season and acknowledged we had our best year in a decade.

Should we throw a parade on Salina Street for finishing 8-5 and winning the Pinstripe bowl? Christ almighty.

Now we're idiotic for wanting to believe in our defense this year? Naw...nothing condescending about that remark.

Where was our defense ranked in GRob's last year? Where did Shafer's first defense end-up the very next year? Crazier things have happened than a defense improving from one year to the next...especially since most of the players were in the rotation the previous year.

Now we're idiotic for wanting to believe in our defense this year? Naw...nothing condescending about that remark.

Where was our defense ranked in GRob's last year? Where did Shafer's first defense end-up the very next year? Crazier things have happened than a defense improving from one year to the next...especially since most of the players were in the rotation the previous year.

Big difference in wanting to believe in our defense versus saying they might be one of the top defenses in all of D1A. Can you not see the difference?

Jeremy can't help himself, disaster is always lurking, but at the same time you shouldn't take offense if people are saying some of the expectations are a bit over the top and it might not be a bad idea to pump the brakes a little.

No one is saying they played against the MAC or the old school SWAC all year but the competition level was obviously not on the level of an SEC, Big 10 or even an ACC. Syracuse had a great offense the second half of the season as GO noted. They were running the ball with Smith getting starters carries and throwign the ball downfield with Sales and Lemon which opened up Wales and the Backs underneath. They had a great offense but most of those skill players are gone and were replacing a lot especially at WR.

We were also just discussing the Defense, yet you once again changed the topic when you were presented with facts. Syracuse was a good team last year, they werent anywhere close to an elite level team or a top end team that this program aspires to be.
OMG Jeremy you are so damn wrong that you can't be rationalized with. Wake up man SU had one of the BEST Schedules in the country last year! The BE had some very good defensive teams! SU put up big yards against teams from Big 12, SEC, and Big 10 as well. I've got news for you the ACC proably isn't as good as the BE was. The statistics support that. You discredit everything SU does! You totally validate my argument about how negative and incorrect you are.

we have one of the top defensive minds in college right now as head coach- a team that knows whats expected from them and some returning players with significant field time-

so yes su could be the defensive nightmare of the year-

btw- thompson may just well be a monster at d-end -

Thompson was moved to DE after the spring. All schools change player positions Jeremy. All schools have question marks going in to the season.
I took the move of Thompson to DE to more of a combination of things.
- Confidence in the guys lined up at TE
- A greater emphasis on the role of Broyld taking the place of a TE in lots of sets
- A need at DE

I meant they won 6 of the last 7 that they played. Lastly do you realize Jeremy that last year SU played 2 teams from the Big 10, and one each from the SEC, PAC 12, and Big 12. That's just a sick schedule. I doubt any other BCS level team can say that. SU had a brutal schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.