Flipback Friday | Syracusefan.com

Flipback Friday

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
31.gif

26.gif

Where the Stand and Clap Until Syracuse Scores Tradition Started...

Loboland.com - A Blast From The Past--The 1977-78 Lobos--Part 3

Asked about the pending confrontation against Syracuse, Whisenant said, “It just comes down to a matter of philosophy. Syracuse runs a controlled break, with a set offense and a good, strong defense. “We play in a wide-open, end line to end line situation. It should be a hell of a game.”

Non-conference home game: UNM 91 - Syracuse Orangemen 96

In the title game of the 13th Lobo Invitational basketball tournament, number 10 Syracuse dug deep for poise in a game filled with pressure to beat unranked but determined New Mexico 96-91 before 18,644 raucous fans at University Arena.

The contest marked by lead changes in both halves and superb play from individuals on both teams, was a barn-burner from start to finish and had the crowd, second largest in Lobo history, jumping to his feet all the way. Down 78-65, the Lobos reached deep down to find one last rush, a 24-12 tear that pulled them within 90-89 with 2:05 left to go in the game. In the end, Syracuse’s top free throw shooter, Ross Kindle hit two pressure free throws with 10 seconds left to ice the game for the Orangemen, who had won 35 of their last 39 games.

Syracuse needed cool play from 6-11 sophomore center Roosevelt Bouie, 6-11 freshman Dan Schayes, son of former NBA great Dolph Hayes, Dale Shackleford, guards Kindle, Marty Brynes and Hal Cohen, to top the Lobos. New Mexico, playing with character against the best team they faced that season, fell to 7-2 overall, but had six players score in double figures, led by Marvin Johnson with 21, Will Smiley hitting 10, Phil Abney with 11, Russell Saunders with 14, and Michael Cooper, who became a two-time tourney most valuable player with 20.

Cooper matched former New Mexico great Mel Daniels by being named MVP of the tourney for the second consecutive year. The Syracuse coaching staff and team were upset that their player, Marty Brynes, who matched his scoring average by scoring 20 each night, didn’t receive the MVP award. “I won’t say another word about it,” said Orangeman Coach Jim Boeheim, who then proceeded to say a lot about Bryne’s non-award. “This award has go to change. Brynes gets 20 both nights and stops the best player on the other team. Maybe they should make it the most crowd-pleasing award, but the way it is now, it’s not the MVP. Cooper is a great talent. I guess it’s the most talented player award.” In the two games, Cooper scored 49 points, including 22 of 41 from the field, had 13 rebounds and dealt out a dozen assists, including 10 in the championship game.

To show how the game went for New Mexico, it’s coach Norm Ellenberger tried to get something to drink immediately after the game, but the cup had a hole in it and spilled water all over his pants. “We got beat by a good basketball team,” Ellenberger said. “Our comeback was the greatest, but our overall play was spotty. We showed all the character in the world to come back after being down by 13. We had the basketball and we had a chance to go and win it.”

Later on near the end of the 77-78 regular season, Boeheim quipped that the first question that every reporter and fan asked him was “How in the hell did you beat New Mexico?” Unbelievable and phenomenal were words Boeheim used to describe his team’s victory over the Lobos. “I was very surprised we won down there, said Boeheim who had compiled a 44-8 record in his first two seasons at Syracuse. “Looking back at our schedule, if I had to pick out one game I thought we wouldn’t win, New Mexico would be it. Hey, no way. But we did have the strength to hurt ‘em on the boards (Syracuse out-rebounded UNM, 45-36 with Bouie grabbing 13).

“New Mexico is great at the four quick positions. The center is questionable. For them to board, I thought (Will) Smiley would have to come on for them and I hear he’s playing well. (Marvin) Johnson and (Michael) Cooper are just great. Everyone back here asks about them. I really like Cooper. He’s as good and solid a player as I’ve seen. A No. 1 draft choice. He’s the best all-around guard we’ve played against in all the time I’ve been here.

Boeheim said he foresaw New Mexico’s eventual scourge of the WAC. “As soon as they won at Vegas, I knew they’d go down and beat Arizona and ASU, said Boeheim never at a loss for words. “I’ve been predicting they’d win every game in the WAC until they play up at Utah. New Mexico was the best team we’ve played this year. And the game we had with them was the best basketball game I’ve seen in a long time. Well, I didn’t really see it. When you’re coaching, you don’t see anything. You just feel things and hope you’ll survive.”

At season’s end, Boeheim was confident that his team (ranked 16th the previous week by the AP, 19th by the UPI) would be in the NCAA tournament for the sixth straight season. “Rumors have us going out West for the regional. Believe me, in no way do I want to go back to the Pit. We got out of there one time with a victory and I’m smart enough to know not to press the issue.”

I hate to criticize one of Syracuse's few traditions, but I am not a fan of "Stand and Clap Until..." I think it exacerbates the situation when the team gets off to a slow start. It is a nice way to identify Syracuse fans at neutral site games though.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom