Florida State thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Florida State thoughts

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
Expect we are about a 3 point favorite on Tuesday between two rather evenly matched teams.

Looking at Florida States schedule they really have not beaten anyone of note, but they have beat who they should.

I really like our matchups with them because JB is too smart for Hamilton.

A lot of analysts always brag how Hamilton plays 10-11 guys, but that means he keeps his best players on the bench too long and gives our starters opportunities to do damage against less talented players.

Bottom line is if we win this game(and I expect to) we should finish the week 9-2 and fans need to start thinking about a top 3-4 ACC finish in the regular season.

Expect we are about a 3 point favorite on Tuesday between two rather evenly matched teams.

Looking at Florida States schedule they really have not beaten anyone of note, but they have beat who they should.

A lot of analysts always brag how Hamilton plays 10-11 guys, but that means he keeps his best players on the bench too long and gives our starters opportunities to do damage against less talented players.

Bottom line is if we win this game(and I expect to) we should finish the week 9-2 and fans need to start thinking about a top 3-4 ACC finish in the regular season.

Hamilton must be one of tbone’s favorite coaches?

Agree very much with this. I don't have a high regard for Hamilton on the sidelines to say the least.

I definitely agree with this line of thinking . Bottom feeders or not we are beating the teams we should . We have the momentum on our side and you can see it in the players body language . They are shooting with confidence, and it doesn’t matter who you are playing that’s important . I know it’s still early but this season has a chance to be similar to Virginia’s 2013-14 season . They went into conference play with 4 losses, including a 25 point loss to Tennessee right before the conference season . They also lost to Green Bay Phoenix in the non conference, they went on to be a 1 seed. I would love for that to happen and the odds are not in our favor with the difficulty the last 6 games, but I feel it something worth noting . Point is, seeing this turn around is very impressive and this team is slowly becoming the team I think many of us thought we had at the beginning .

The thing is; the back half of the schedule is brutal. We may be favored in one of our final 7 games, @Wake. Louisville home and @ Clemson will be somewhat close, and I wouldnt be surprised if we are favored against Louisville, but top 3 or 4 gonna be real tough. Would be an incredible accomplishment. Ken Pom projections have us winning 2.68 of the last 7 games, even if you round it up to 3 and assume we go 2-0 this week, that's still "just" 12-6, Va Tech is currently projected to finish fourth with a 13-5.

Obviously a million things can happen, but I'm more saying the schedule is really heavily backloaded and I would be extremely pleased to finish top 6. (a win against FSU would go a long way to making this happen)

It's funny, my goal before the season was basically not to be on the bubble; when you got to the middle of Feb be in a position where we were basically locked into the field, which I think would mean roughly like a top 6 seed (top 24 overall). 6 weeks ago I wouldve said there is no chance of that. Now? i think there is a pretty good chance of that happening

I'm not saying he's Hall of Fame level or anything, but I think Leonard Hamilton is generally an under-appreciated coach nationally.

And I also loved him in the role of Bunny on The Wire.

I'm not saying he's Hall of Fame level or anything, but I think Leonard Hamilton is generally an under-appreciated coach nationally.

One game is just that; one game, but his performance at the end of their tournament game last year, where id didnt even bother to foul down 4 with like 10 seconds left, wasn't exactly great. That said, he has generally been pretty successful

One game is just that; one game, but his performance at the end of their tournament game last year, where id didnt even bother to foul down 4 with like 10 seconds left, wasn't exactly great. That said, he has generally been pretty successful

I generally think Hamilton plays his bench wayyy to much and it hurts his teams overall. Two years ago in the dome he took his starters out in the first half in a close game while we left White, Lydon, Gillon and Battle in the game and that’s when we took control.

He’s always had great talent, but I never thought he’s maximized it as much as some other coaches.

This is going to be a difficult game Tuesday night. FSU has a lot of talent and had Duke knocked off at full strength (right before our game with Duke) until that 3 point buzzer beater by Reddish. They get that W there, and they'd have been solidly in the top 10. I know they laid an egg a few days later in their game at Pitt, but they were still reeling from that Duke heartbreaker.

On Saturday they played GT, a team that plays a lot of zone and a similar type tempo as we do. Therefore, FSU will be prepared and plenty ready for our match up. So, I hope we get a great turnout, especially with this being our first home game in a couple of weeks.

This is going to be a difficult game Tuesday night. FSU has a lot of talent and had Duke knocked off at full strength (right before our game with Duke) until that 3 point buzzer beater by Reddish. They get that W there, and they'd have been solidly in the top 10. I know they laid an egg a few days later in their game at Pitt, but they were still reeling from that Duke heartbreaker.

On Saturday they played GT, a team that plays a lot of zone and a similar type tempo as we do. Therefore, FSU will be prepared and plenty ready for our match up. So, I hope we get a great turnout, especially with this being our first home game in a couple of weeks.

I think Zion missed the entire 2nd half vs FSU

Tough match up for one basic reason. FSU can rebound. We cant give them second and third looks. OB Chewy and MD need to bring it on the glass.

The thing is; the back half of the schedule is brutal. We may be favored in one of our final 7 games, @Wake. Louisville home and @ Clemson will be somewhat close, and I wouldnt be surprised if we are favored against Louisville, but top 3 or 4 gonna be real tough. Would be an incredible accomplishment. Ken Pom projections have us winning 2.68 of the last 7 games, even if you round it up to 3 and assume we go 2-0 this week, that's still "just" 12-6, Va Tech is currently projected to finish fourth with a 13-5.

VaTech is also without it’s best player for an indefinite period, and they didn’t light it up against NCSU without him. They may be in for a tough stretch as well.

We need to attack the basket against FSU and rebound rebound rebound. Cannot afford to give them any confidence in the Dome. Put me in the slightly worried category about this game.

Tough match up for one basic reason. FSU can rebound. We cant give them second and third looks. OB Chewy and MD need to bring it on the glass.
Might not be the worst game to see 20 mins of OBrissy and Marek together.

Yes, all of this. Exactly what I was thinking.

He recruits big athletes, and they generally play good defense.

Sounds kind of familiar, if you think about it.

I think JB is far superior at in game adjustments, though.

Never personally looked forward to playing fsu as of late. They usually seem fairly undisciplined, but I always feel like physically they match up with most teams well. Lots of tall guys like us, except usually a little more thickburger.

I am just hoping they are still in top 25 Tuesday. Another top 25 win will look good on the resume

What matters for the resume is NET ranking, not Top 25.

Also where they rank at the end of the year, not when we play them.

They are 31 right now, would be great if they could end the year in the top 30. Quad 1 win

He’s always had great talent, but I never thought he’s maximized it as much as some other coaches.
I've always felt like he's underachieved. They win a fair amount, but they don't ever seem to win the big games. He's only made 3 sweet 16s in over 30 years.
I consider him one of the better coaches in the mediocre tier. He's perfect for a program like FSU, where they are satisfied with making any postseason tournament.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom