Fo those who ardently protect the "student-athlete" model: | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Fo those who ardently protect the "student-athlete" model:

So to that point .. what happens if a player has a career ending injury? If he's not a student then he cannot get a degree from that school as he wasn't accepted into a school within the college. He would need to go to a college he could get into and get a degree that way, right?

Crazy thing is - I want them to be paid. It's just going to take a big effort
Yup. And now he/she is going to have to pay money for that degree.

Yup. And now he/she is going to have to pay money for that degree.

And how much are they going to make? A scholarship at Syracuse costs a lot more than it does at a public university. Also a D1 sport scholarship is a way for many kids to afford college. I know it's a business - it's just an ugly one no matter what

And how much are they going to make? A scholarship at Syracuse costs a lot more than it does at a public university. Also a D1 sport scholarship is a way for many kids to afford college. I know it's a business - it's just an ugly one no matter what
I can't argue with what you've said. I would guess that the market would determine the salaries; Bilas didn't say much about how that would work. Under VA state law, all our athletic scholarships must come from private funds. An in-state scholarship costs the fundraisers less than an out-of-state scholarship.

I always advocate that we be real in this type of discussion. Every D-1 school from Harvard on down has places to stash athletes. At UVa, we have the beefiest set of anthropologists in academia. The question each school has to decide for itself is where is the cutoff of who is in a position to be stashed?

I can't argue with what you've said. I would guess that the market would determine the salaries; Bilas didn't say much about how that would work. Under VA state law, all our athletic scholarships must come from private funds. An in-state scholarship costs the fundraisers less than an out-of-state scholarship.

I always advocate that we be real in this type of discussion. Every D-1 school from Harvard on down has places to stash athletes. At UVa, we have the beefiest set of anthropologists in academia. The question each school has to decide for itself is where is the cutoff of who is in a position to be stashed?

For people smarter than I to determine.

I just ask the NCAA handles this situation with honesty and transparency.

LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom