football continues to be so stupid | Syracusefan.com

football continues to be so stupid

Millhouse

Living Legend
why would you spike with a minute left on the 40 yard line?

why would you take forever and a day to call plays when you're down 8?

why would you kick deep with under three minutes left and one timeout (because you used two on offense already)? you need a three and out regardless , go onside and then get the three and out if it doesn't work

the bills spend two #1 picks on a WR so of course they'll hire the OC of a team that doesn't throw to WR

why would you spike with a minute left on the 40 yard line?

why would you take forever and a day to call plays when you're down 8?

why would you kick deep with under three minutes left and one timeout (because you used two on offense already)? you need a three and out regardless , go onside and then get the three and out if it doesn't work

the bills spend two #1 picks on a WR so of course they'll hire the OC of a team that doesn't throw to WR
SMH. You would never make it in the NFL.

;)

you should also mention that pitt didnt actually run out the clock they threw the ball twice against convention..

you should also mention that pitt didnt actually run out the clock they threw the ball twice against convention..
tomlin is young, under 400 lbs, and doesn't restrict his facial hair to a moustache

mccarthy did his best to cost them the game by taking the ball away from rodgers when they barely got to field goal range on the first tiebreaking FG

Conventional wisdom is slowly making it's way out... It's just going to take time, regardless of evidence, there are stubborn coaches engrained in a certain way to play the game.

Conventional wisdom is slowly making it's way out... It's just going to take time, regardless of evidence, there are stubborn coaches engrained in a certain way to play the game.
why are these CW changes slower than other sports? i have my theories

why are these CW changes slower than other sports? i have my theories
Other sports are exposed to different styles of play in international competition or by having a worldwide source of players.

Hockey is probably the best example, adopting European elements after the North Americans were dominated by the Russians, and then adding droves of European players. Although the US first responded to the rest of the world catching up in basketball by sending its best players to the Olympics, that was also around the time that significantly more foreign players joined the NBA (I don't watch enough pro hoops to know if that had much impact). Baseball has an international makeup and teams employ a variety of strategies depending on their composition, league, and locational quirks (ballpark design, typical weather, etc.).

By comparison, football is a rather isolated sport where changes to CW typically enjoyed short-term success at best. Either because coaches found strategic counters or due to the fact that NFL careers are short and the combination of talent was more critical than the system. On a micro basis, coaches receive more blame for risky calls that don't work than credit when it does (that goes to the players), so they become increasingly risk-averse.

Other sports are exposed to different styles of play in international competition or by having a worldwide source of players.

Hockey is probably the best example, adopting European elements after the North Americans were dominated by the Russians, and then adding droves of European players. Although the US first responded to the rest of the world catching up in basketball by sending its best players to the Olympics, that was also around the time that significantly more foreign players joined the NBA (I don't watch enough pro hoops to know if that had much impact). Baseball has an international makeup and teams employ a variety of strategies depending on their composition, league, and locational quirks (ballpark design, typical weather, etc.).

By comparison, football is a rather isolated sport where changes to CW typically enjoyed short-term success at best. Either because coaches found strategic counters or due to the fact that NFL careers are short and the combination of talent was more critical than the system. On a micro basis, coaches receive more blame for risky calls that don't work than credit when it does (that goes to the players), so they become increasingly risk-averse.
could be

or

playing the game is a pre-requisite to coaching
playing the game gives you brain damage
coaches have brain damage

The insane catch by Julio Jones last night put the falcons on the patriots 22 yard line with 4:47 to go up 8.

They're in field goal range! Woo! Games over!

They run the ball on 1st and 10 (smart!) for -1 yards.

2nd and 11 they PASS and get sacked for -12 yards.

3rd and 23 from NE35 and they again pass - decent play - except for the holding penalty.

3rd and 33 from the NE45 and they throw an incompletion.

4th and 33 they punt. 3:38 remains on the game clock.

Run the ball 3 straight plays and you just might burn more time off and/or kick a field goal to put you up 11 and win the Super Bowl.

Instead? You blew it.

The insane catch by Julio Jones last night put the falcons on the patriots 22 yard line with 4:47 to go up 8.

3rd and 23 from NE35 and they again pass - decent play - except for the holding penalty.

Run the ball 3 straight plays and you just might burn more time off and/or kick a field goal to put you up 11 and win the Super Bowl.

Instead? You blew it.
they were snapping the ball too fast too

Instead? You blew it.

I texted my buddies after that JJ catch that he just won the Falcons the Super Bowl.

I also noticed that the Falcons were snapping the ball with 15-20 seconds on the play-clock on their last couple drives. Just incomprehensible.

Instead? You blew it.
The real stupidity started when they were up 16 with 8 minuets left and have 3rd and 1 and try to pass the ball and get sacked and fumble. If they run the ball and get it 1st down the game is over. If they don't get it and punt, Pats would have used up most of the time on that drive and would not have that surge of energy. Kyle Shanahan is a goof.

The real stupidity started when they were up 16 with 8 minuets left and have 3rd and 1 and try to pass the ball and get sacked and fumble. If they run the ball and get it 1st down the game is over. If they don't get it and punt, Pats would have used up most of the time on that drive and would not have that surge of energy. Kyle Shanahan is a goof.
Beat me by a second...great minds think a like.

Side note: Some of the craziest catches in SB history come in games with the Pats.

Tyree
Manningham
Jermaine Kearse
Julio Jones
Edelman

I'm sure there's more but that's 5 without even thinking lol

The 3rd and 1 play call when they were up 16 was stupid. That really turned the momentum to the Pats.
Play of the game. Can't fathom why they would pass there, as you both said. Even a poor run, burns clock and forces a punt and a long field for the Pats, who didn't have a quick strike TD all game.

they never even made NE use all their TOs on D and played so poorly on D themselves they didnt need to use them to score either.

they were snapping the ball too fast too

Way way way to fast, I played close attention and on there last two drives they were regularly snapping the ball with 15+ seconds on it. They could have easily taken off a couple of minutes had they drained the play clock the entire fourth quarter. This is basic football 101, couldn't believe they weren't running the clock. insane.

During last night's SuperBowl, the announcer said that New England ran a 2-point conversion play twice during the regular season. Twice. They were 1 out of 2. Last night, 2 for 2. So on the season, they were 3 for 4, and good for 6 points. Compared with 4 points if they just kicked the XP every time. Why aren't these teams going for 2 points 80% of the time?

one thing i loved about last night was that they won despite not recovering an onside kick

a lot of meatheads think that not recovering is a death sentence when it's just field position

Shambolic play calling from Atlanta. Their defense is terrible. Why give NE the ball with so much time.

Aside from Brady's greatness, the biggest factor for Belichick's success in this league is him simply taking advantage of the opposition's stupidity. Like watching the Bills not hand the ball off to Thurman Thomas nearly enough in Super Bowl 25 or exchanging his shitty backup quarterbacks to dumb teams for first rounders. Browns are about to do just that yet again. It seriously never ends.

I'm not a Brady or Pats hater at all. I actually like them.

But you could very easily make the claim that if their opponent in the past two Super Bowls simply ran an off-tackle run instead of trying to throw on one specific play (very end of game against Seahawks, and then either when Ryan fumbled or when he was sacked), then the Pats would have zero rings since 2004.

I'm not a Brady or Pats hater at all. I actually like them.

But you could very easily make the claim that if their opponent in the past two Super Bowls simply ran an off-tackle run instead of trying to throw on one specific play (very end of game against Seahawks, and then either when Ryan fumbled or when he was sacked), then the Pats would have zero rings since 2004.

It's crazy how close they're being (tyree/manningham) to being 7-0 with BB & TB and also how close they are (seahawks blunder, falcons terrible clock management/playcalling) to being 3-4 with BB & TB.

They've won 5 super bowls. Last night was their largest margin of victory (6)

a lot of meatheads think that not recovering is a death sentence when it's just field position

At the risk of being a meathead, it is a death sentence depending on how much time is left and if you have zero timeouts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom