Football dads | Syracusefan.com

Football dads

Lol. It was tough it was like losing a best friend. I got up every morning to workout with him went to all his high school stuff. Then nothing lol. The first few months they call all the time then over time they stop and you have to call or text 5 times to get an answer. They get friends and are super busy so it's really hard for them too. Over time we all adjust and look forward to the trips up there. He is coming home in 7 days and we have already planned out our workouts while he is here. But he is only home till the 26 th then it's a long wait for the summer scrimmage.

how did you handle your son leaving for school ? We move Tommy into his apartment in 2 weeks and I'm having trouble facing that .
Grocery bill going down a good bit helps =D.

But seriously, its a bit riugh for a while. Kept hearing Steven's voice saying wassup? And swore up and down hed just walked in the door.

Anyways, picked up playing the guitar. Helps to have a hobby totally unrelated to sports.

I don't know, when my son was shipped off to Air Force training base, it was one of the happier days of my life. He was now coming into his own, starting his own path, his own life. The pride outweighed any sadness or worry. Plus, it didn't hurt that my food bill plummeted.

My advice is to become a fan of the team. Make it not only about your son and family but embrace our team as a lifelong fan. Lots of good folks to meet in Syracuse and on the road. We love to have you join our legion.

Think of the first time you put him on the bus for kindergarten then multiply times 10.
kindergarten was worse for me with both my son and daughter. there was something about the innocence of that age being thrust into the real world --that was back in the early 80's. i had some excitement about it,but was very pensive and sad as well. i could no longer shield them.
i still have the video of the each of them getting on the bus for the first time. shot in 8mm and later transferred to tapes and then again to discs. still brings a tear to my eye when i think about it, and what life has brought them so far. its all good, with some bumps in the road.

I see my friends kids home all the time from college, but with football its not like that I guess its also the possibility that he never lives home again just cant wrap my head around that . I went to the field last night just to play catch with him and soaked in every second .I am however grateful for his opportunity and I could not be prouder as we all are of our boys . I look forward to him being a part of this team. its 6 am and he is gone already to throw before school which he does 4 days a week , also he maxed squatted 500 for one yesterday , he is 213lbs , conditioned and in mid season form. July 30th cant come soon enough as I for sure will be there to see that first practice . thanks for all the stories, misery loves company lol

I think the hardest part to adjust to is how busy they really are. It's like you said you kinda brace yourself for the 1 week or 2 week a year coming home thing but when you try and talk to them even on the phone or go up and visit and they are running around to practice or meetings or school or tuturing or homework or playbook it's hard to wrap your head around how crazy their life's become over night. Summer camp the first year and first semester is a huge adjustment for them and you

Man, I have an 8 year old and 3 year old and keep thinking when are they going to finally get to college so I can have my social life back?

I'm guessing that will change over time.

Man, I have an 8 year old and 3 year old and keep thinking when are they going to finally get to college so I can have my social life back?

What position are they projecting to

My advice is to become a fan of the team. Make it not only about your son and family but embrace our team as a lifelong fan. Lots of good folks to meet in Syracuse and on the road. We love to have you join our legion.

Legion sounds too Romanesque. I prefer Mongol Horde :)

Hide your women.

you and me both.

but when we get it back, we will both be sitting in a rocking chair on the porch, sipping sweat tea reminiscing about the 80s-00s and how we missed the 10s-20s as the neighbors kid parks his mini-jet with his wheels on our lawn!!

you and me both.

but when we get it back, we will both be sitting in a rocking chair on the porch, sipping sweat tea reminiscing about the 80s-00s and how we missed the 10s-20s as the neighbors kid parks his mini-jet with his wheels on our lawn!!

Circle of life. Can someone help me out of this chair, I have to pee again.

I'd like to think I'll be a fun old man, of the Art Donovan mold.

Circle of life. Can someone help me out of this chair, I have to pee again.

I'd like to think I'll be a fun old man, of the Art Donovan mold.
used to love it when he was on Letterman, never had anything to sell...was just there to tell stories.

sometimes, the same story more than 1x...but it was awesome every time.

you and me both.

Ditto.