For all the Cooney gets | Syracusefan.com

For all the Cooney gets

NineOneSeven

2018-19 Iggy Hoops Leader Scorer
He's shooting a higher % from 3 than MCW, and only three points behind Brandon, according to su athletics.

This is indicative of how poor our guards have been at long range shooting. Let's end it this weekend.

He's shooting a higher % from 3 than MCW, and only three points behind Brandon, according to su athletics.

This is indicative of how poor our guards have been at long range shooting. Let's end it this weekend.

Triches poor shooting has been quite a surprise. Hopefully he gets it in gear for this stretch run. We'll need him to.

Cooney is going to have a great career here. Not sure if he'll be able to get more consistent this season, but i sure hope so. All of a sudden we could use a pure shooter in the lineup.

I think MCW's % will steadily rise. He's primed to finish strong IMO

The problem as I see it with Trevor is the hype given regarding his outside shooting BEFORE he got on campus. Let the kid come in and play first before the expectations begin the pressure building when he checks into a game.This game is going to be a monumental contest. I hope the Dome is sold out with a new record in orange colored fannies in the seats.There will be some fannies i won't want to see regardless of color.And then there will be a few that pass the color test without regard for the pigment used.:cool:

I've been down on Cooney...until the Nova game where he delivered when he HAD to with Triche in foul trouble and Southerland being a stupid @ss.

Kid is insatiable on D and when he hits one, oh my, his confidence soars.

Gut says he will have his moments this year on occassion, but be a three-year solid contributor thereafter.

I dont know why some people wrote him off already, kid didnt sniff enough playing time yet to get comfortable and confident on the court.Its not if its when he breaks out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think he's had an ample amount of time to show us a glimpse of what he can do. He's made some threes but has also whiffed as well.

I think he's had an ample amount of time to show us a glimpse of what he can do. He's made some threes but has also whiffed as well.
Nope hes not game ready and a few minutes here and there arent enough yet. But his defense has been active and surprisingly good for the most part imo. His offense will come.

I dont know why some people wrote him off already, kid didnt sniff enough playing time yet to get comfortable and confident on the court.Its not if its when he breaks out.

Can't wait

You're right...but to be fair MCW's outside shooting is considered his biggest weakness while it's supposed to be Trevor's biggest strength (the Triche comparison is interesting though).

If Trevor was leading the country in assists we'd hear a lot less complaining about it on the board. It's the main way that he can impact the game at this point so we need him to be shooting much better than both...especially with Dirty out.

Nope hes not game ready and a few minutes here and there arent enough yet. But his defense has been active and surprisingly good for the most part imo. His offense will come.

I anxiously await his multiple five 3 pointer games.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Cali, are you attempting to pull off a syracusefan "retweet" or "calify" of the OP's post? You empty replied his post twice before finally responding on yet another reply...

I like it, you social media wizard you.

Is it just me or does Cooney seem out of shape? He looks a bit bulky and always looking gassed out there. And for the record I like him a lot.

Is it just me or does Cooney seem out of shape? He looks a bit bulky and always looking gassed out there. And for the record I like him a lot.
I think it's just you. If I remember correctly, the coaches call him "muscles" or something like that, because he's big due to being jacked.

And he is pressing right now, that is all. It'll come. One thing I notice is that he's trying to elevate waaaaay too much on his threes. Nothing wrong with elevation, but he seems like he's trying to jump three feet in the air on jumpers.

Actually one of the announcers mentioned during the last game, "Cooney just ran by us and boy is he winded" or something to that extent. With the loss of JS, he has seen alot more PT and this is a fast-paced game.

with Cooney is all about confidence. Once he does one small thing good like making a couple free throws - or making a nice steal (like he did on Saturday), he gets rolling and the 3's start going down -- unfortunately, he hasn't had too many of these moments just yet - but they're coming - you can just feel it.

I'm still trying to figure out if I want to call him Cooney, white hot or snappy griller.

If it is true that he is guessed, could it be that he lifted (weights or the fork) a lot more than he ran while he redshirted? We're going to have to have this kid be ready and like most freshmen he'll have his ups and downs so hopefully when SU needs him the most he'll answer the call.

He looks to be in great shape to me.

Actually one of the announcers mentioned during the last game, "Cooney just ran by us and boy is he winded" or something to that extent.

Next time he gets in, watch him on the court. He never stops moving.

they showed trevor on the bench next to little gerry after he came out and he was gassed! i'm guessing it was a good 3 minutes before his color and breathing stabilized. and don't give me the tonsil bs.

You're right...but to be fair MCW's outside shooting is considered his biggest weakness while it's supposed to be Trevor's biggest strength (the Triche comparison is interesting though).

If Trevor was leading the country in assists we'd hear a lot less complaining about it on the board. It's the main way that he can impact the game at this point so we need him to be shooting much better than both...especially with Dirty out.

He needs to tone down the amount of threes he shoots, especially the ones that seem to be early on in the shotclock,
This is the most concerning part. Again, I've been saying this all year, MCW shoots far too much for a point guard. It's not his strength (as you said). His strength is getting to the rim and either A) drawing the foul B) dishing the ball or C) that 10 foot floater.

He looks to be in great shape to me.

Next time he gets in, watch him on the court. He never stops moving.

This. He is extremely active. I think it might be a contributing factor to his outside shot being off. Sprinting down the court full speed after constantly moving on defense will have an affect on your jumpshot. It's not even close to the same as someone standing under the basket passing basketballs to him as he rolls off curls in practice. As others have claimed, he will adjust. Give it time.

I'm still trying to figure out if I want to call him Cooney, white hot or snappy griller.

If it is true that he is guessed, could it be that he lifted (weights or the fork) a lot more than he ran while he redshirted? We're going to have to have this kid be ready and like most freshmen he'll have his ups and downs so hopefully when SU needs him the most he'll answer the call.

I was wondering this as well. I don't think it's the fork, but maybe he hit the weights too hard during his redshirt year. Hasn't this happened in the past with Dion and Brandon as well?

Also, regardless of how much jogging you do in the offseason, game shape really only comes from playing games.