For all the Cooney gets | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

For all the Cooney gets

I'm still trying to figure out if I want to call him Cooney, white hot or snappy griller.

If it is true that he is guessed, could it be that he lifted (weights or the fork) a lot more than he ran while he redshirted? We're going to have to have this kid be ready and like most freshmen he'll have his ups and downs so hopefully when SU needs him the most he'll answer the call.

He's gotta earn "white hot". That is what we are waiting for.

I'm not sure why this is a surprise. He's basically been a career 33-34% three point shooter, so he's only a few points down from that. It's not like he's a 42% career shooter shooting 28% this year.

I think people were hoping for a modest improvement. That's not unreasonable.

I think people were hoping for a modest improvement. That's not unreasonable.

Triche is fundamentally not a good shooter. Improvement was very unlikely. Triche can improve if he simply realizes what he can do well and do it and leave the shooting to the shooters.

I think if everyone on the team put forth as much effort on defense as TC, this team's defense would be of epic proportions.

Unfortunately, I think that Xmas & Fair often go significant stretches of the game with a half-hearted effort, and even Triche & MCW take too many plays off. I know the team has a good overall defense, but the fact is, it can still be much better.

It is hard not to see TC as Rautins Jr. The defense, the 3pt shooting, the redshirt. There are many parallels.
Here is hoping he is 2yrs ahead of Rautins' trajectory.

I think if everyone on the team put forth as much effort on defense as TC, this team's defense would be of epic proportions.

Unfortunately, I think that Xmas & Fair often go significant stretches of the game with a half-hearted effort, and even Triche & MCW take too many plays off. I know the team has a good overall defense, but the fact is, it can still be much better.

It is hard not to see TC as Rautins Jr. The defense, the 3pt shooting, the redshirt. There are many parallels.

Ok this is getting a bit ridiculous. Just bc cooney is active and hustles does not make him a great defender. He gets best off the ball consistently, is out of position far too often , and commits stupid fouls. He is not an above average defender at all. Have been saying it since game 1, and even JB has stated this. People are unfairly critical of raks defense bc it doesn't look like he is hustling . GreSt athletes like him sometimes don't look like they are "hustling" bc he isn't spazzing out, when in fact he is the second best defender on the team, right behind mcw. This praising of cooneys defense has caught on just like Syracuse supposed lack of schedule strength

this ^^^ plus cooney is running a lap. those other slackers mentioned are running a mile. of course it's a different pace.

Yeah this is getting crazy! We have one of the top 2 defenses in the country which means everyone is giving maximum effort. TC just has to work harder to try and keep up and playing 30mins is a good deal different than playing 8.

Also Andy was not just a shooter/defender he was a very good passer with a very high basketball IQ. TC is not on that track and I really like the kid. The beating he took from JB during the Nova game is tough for anyone to deal with he took it like man and hit 2 big threes! Good for him! But the reasons for the beating were there too!

Triche is fundamentally not a good shooter. Improvement was very unlikely. Triche can improve if he simply realizes what he can do well and do it and leave the shooting to the shooters.

Actually, I disagree with that. I think Triche's form is generally fine. He has stopped with the habit he used to have of drifting a bit on his jumper. His form is quite good. It's just that the results are inconsistent.

Yeah this is getting crazy! We have one of the top 2 defenses in the country which means everyone is giving maximum effort. TC just has to work harder to try and keep up and playing 30mins is a good deal different than playing 8.

Also Andy was not just a shooter/defender he was a very good passer with a very high basketball IQ. TC is not on that track and I really like the kid. The beating he took from JB during the Nova game is tough for anyone to deal with he took it like man and hit 2 big threes! Good for him! But the reasons for the beating were there too!

Yeah, I'm in the middle on this. I've been pleasantly surprised with cooney's defense. Whether that actually makes him great, above average or average is debatable I guess. But I do think there is something to be said for guys who have a knack for getting their hands on passes -- particularly on a team that plays exclusively zone. GMac, for example, was probably considered a below-average defender but he was dangerous up top b/c he had a nose for the ball.

Anyway, Cooney's been fine and should be a solid part of this rotation next year and a guy that can contribute in spots this year. I stand by my preseason statement that Cooney could steal minutes from Triche if he can hang defensively (I think he's been OK in this regard) and prove to be a true threat to hurt teams from deep (so far, this hasn't been the case).

Yeah, I'm in the middle on this. I've been pleasantly surprised with cooney's defense. Whether that actually makes him great, above average or average is debatable I guess. But I do think there is something to be said for guys who have a knack for getting their hands on passes -- particularly on a team that plays exclusively zone. GMac, for example, was probably considered a below-average defender but he was dangerous up top b/c he had a nose for the ball.

Anyway, Cooney's been fine and should be a solid part of this rotation next year and a guy that can contribute in spots this year. I stand by my preseason statement that Cooney could steal minutes from Triche if he can hang defensively (I think he's been OK in this regard) and prove to be a true threat to hurt teams from deep (so far, this hasn't been the case).

The idea that Cooney takes a second away from BT is crazy to me. Triche is being heavily guarded on the perimeter it's one of the reasons he is driving the ball better. Cooney is not being guarded right now. He is missing wide open shots. If he starts making them (which I hope he does) people will guard him. If he is face guards then what? I don't see him shooting in someones face, and there is no evidence that he can get to the rim as well as Triche. The gap between them is huge in my option.

Right now we need Cooney to make teams pay for not guarding him and that means a 5-6 game from 3 not a 2-6 game. At least if he is face guarded it helps with floor spacing. Then we need to find out what he can do when he is guarded. By then Triche will be getting paid to play basketball.

The idea that Cooney takes a second away from BT is crazy to me. Triche is being heavily guarded on the perimeter it's one of the reasons he is driving the ball better. Cooney is not being guarded right now. He is missing wide open shots. If he starts making them (which I hope he does) people will guard him. If he is face guards then what? I don't see him shooting in someones face, and there is no evidence that he can get to the rim as well as Triche. The gap between them is huge in my option.

Right now we need Cooney to make teams pay for not guarding him and that means a 5-6 game from 3 not a 2-6 game. At least if he is face guarded it helps with floor spacing. Then we need to find out what he can do when he is guarded. By then Triche will be getting paid to play basketball.

Cooney isn't stealing a minute away from Triche. If cooney were knocking down 40% and was pretty consistently making open looks from deep, I think he could. And when I say stealing minutes, I'm not saying Cooney 28 mpg and Triche 20 mpg or something, I simply mean in spots against certain teams and at certain times he could be an asset that Triche will not be. At least, IMO, there is not a team in the league that is going to be constantly trying to take the deep jumper away from Triche. And I'd argue that you are way off in suggesting that teams are trying to take that 3 away from him. There have been a ton of games where teams are just packing their defense in tight and daring him to shoot.

Cooney isn't stealing a minute away from Triche. If cooney were knocking down 40% and was pretty consistently making open looks from deep, I think he could. And when I say stealing minutes, I'm not saying Cooney 28 mpg and Triche 20 mpg or something, I simply mean in spots against certain teams and at certain times he could be an asset that Triche will not be. At least, IMO, there is not a team in the league that is going to be constantly trying to take the deep jumper away from Triche. And I'd argue that you are way off in suggesting that teams are trying to take that 3 away from him. There have been a ton of games where teams are just packing their defense in tight and daring him to shoot.

Zone teams of course are letting BT shoot see Providence, but Rutgers and USF played tight man to man on Triche but not on Cooney. Away IF Cooney hits 40% from three he will play. Let's hope it happens.

The idea that Cooney takes a second away from BT is crazy to me.

Dion - one of the top few players in the country - couldnt start over Triche than we just need to accept that JB is starting him for reasons that have nothing to do with hoops and deal with it.

Hopefully it doesnt cost us a great run in this year's NCAAs.

Actually, I disagree with that. I think Triche's form is generally fine. He has stopped with the habit he used to have of drifting a bit on his jumper. His form is quite good. It's just that the results are inconsistent.

He's just not a good shooter... I think we can all agree on that.

He's just not a good shooter... I think we can all agree on that.

I don't. He hit 5 of 7 just the other night. That's not a bad shooter, that's just a streaky one. It's in his head.

I don't. He hit 5 of 7 just the other night. That's not a bad shooter, that's just a streaky one. It's in his head.

For his career he is 43.9% from the field. He has started 124 games... he's really proven he is nothing more than an average shooter, at best. I agree that it is all in his head...but better men have been brought down by head before. :)

...the whiteness

"...the whiteness"

dunno about that . after about 30 seconds of run triche is whiter than sir redface pantalot .

For his career he is 43.9% from the field. He has started 124 games... he's really proven he is nothing more than an average shooter, at best. I agree that it is all in his head...but better men have been brought down by head before. :)

Yeah, I'll never understand the infatuation with the idea that Triche is somehow a good shooter because every once in awhile he hits a few in a half. I mean, he couldn't even outshoot Scoop from three, and we used to have four threads a game asking Scoop to stop shooting threes because he was so bad behind the arc.

Reading comprehension is not a strong suit of everyone on here. At no time did I ever state anything about the efficacy of TC's defense. I made reference to "effort". It is true that great defenders can make it seem nearly effortless, but that is extremely rare, and I would not put any of the kids playing regularly on SU's team as effortless defenders.

The fact is, TC has an advantage in that respect, as he knows that he will not play the whole game, and that if his defense is lacking, he will find himself on the bench.

Unfortunately, for some, it seems as they become upperclassmen and garner more playing time, their efforts begin to wane. I am not one to complain about JB's methods, but this may well be a product of his substitution style.

cooney is gonna go all kyle kuric on louisville on saturday

This whole thing sucks, I just liked a post and didn't get listed. How does one become a + 10?

Career numbers? anyone can go 5-7 once in a while.

he is not a good shooter. at least not unless he is playing with a superstar who gets all of the attention so that he is then wide open.

The better Cooney plays the more rest Triche and MCW get and that will help make this team better. I like the change of pace when Triche is playing point guard.

Put me in the camp who doesn't think Brandon is a great outside shooter. He's 35% for his career. As a freshmen, when he was often the 4th option on the court, he was able to pick and choose his spots, he shot 40%. Since then, he's gone 33, 35, and he's at 31% this year. He is what he is. 34-35% from 3 is about average, I believe.