For all the Cooney gets | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

For all the Cooney gets

I was wondering this as well. I don't think it's the fork, but maybe he hit the weights too hard during his redshirt year. Hasn't this happened in the past with Dion and Brandon as well?

Also, regardless of how much jogging you do in the offseason, game shape really only comes from playing games.

Or playing a lot of pickup and doing it correctly and not just standing at/running to the 3 point line...actual moving to get open and playing D.

Brandon played right from the get go but I thought Scoop might have gained a few but thinking about that he may have slimmed down...dang it, I can't remember which it was!

He looks to be in great shape to me.

Next time he gets in, watch him on the court. He never stops moving.

I am not saying he isn't, just repeating what the announcers said.

I was wondering this as well. I don't think it's the fork, but maybe he hit the weights too hard during his redshirt year. Hasn't this happened in the past with Dion and Brandon as well?

Also, regardless of how much jogging you do in the offseason, game shape really only comes from playing games.

^^^^^^
This

This. He is extremely active. I think it might be a contributing factor to his outside shot being off. Sprinting down the court full speed after constantly moving on defense will have an affect on your jumpshot. It's not even close to the same as someone standing under the basket passing basketballs to him as he rolls off curls in practice. As others have claimed, he will adjust. Give it time.

I think this is it speed of game is an issue so he is all out at at times when the other guys are at 80%. Speed of the game could be more mental than physical or more physical than mental, for Cooney I think it is the latter. That doesn't mean he can't make the adjustments needed to be successful, but it does mean his margin for error is smaller. I also don't care for his mechanics, he starts his shot too low (around his waist) which means he will have a hard time shooting when guarded.

I don't think he is ready for Siva or Russ on Saturday and if he plays long minutes we in trouble. Those guys are hard (almost impossible) for anyone to stay in front of but I'm concerned he won't even be able to redirect them. My guess is that unless MCW or BT are in foul trouble both will play close to 40.

I don't buy this, jogging doesn't get you in game shape because it doesn't prepare you for the type of endurance you need to be in "game shape", it prepares you to have endurance at a jog. I don't want our players jogging up and down the court. Playing in games doesn't get you in game shape, it gets you acclimated to the pace of the game, helps you understand how to control your nerves and recognize situations and how to respond properly e.g. can I make that pass without it being stolen, should I go for the steal or play straight up etc.

If you do the proper type of conditioning, you will be in game shape. Now, no matter how much conditioning you do no one can sprint full out indefinitely. So, the question is (i) is he not in shape? unlikely. (ii) is he not properly conditioned for game action? maybe. (iii) is he going so hard consistently that he naturally needs to take break? (iv) does he need to recognize situations where he can slow his pace down during the game and catch a breath, without sacrificing his "good" effort on the court. IMO probably the last two.

I don't buy this, jogging doesn't get you in game shape because it doesn't prepare you for the type of endurance you need to be in "game shape", it prepares you to have endurance at a jog. I don't want our players jogging up and down the court. Playing in games doesn't get you in game shape, it gets you acclimated to the pace of the game, helps you understand how to control your nerves and recognize situations and how to respond properly e.g. can I make that pass without it being stolen, should I go for the steal or play straight up etc.

If you do the proper type of conditioning, you will be in game shape. Now, no matter how much conditioning you do no one can sprint full out indefinitely. So, the question is (i) is he not in shape? unlikely. (ii) is he not properly conditioned for game action? maybe. (iii) is he going so hard consistently that he naturally needs to take break? (iv) does he need to recognize situations where he can slow his pace down during the game and catch a breath, without sacrificing his "good" effort on the court. IMO probably the last two.

I agree with that (the last two comment). I also want to point out that I used the word "jogging" instead of "running" because I didn't want to imply running hoops. I don't think he "jogs" to get in shape, I'm sure they all actually run. But running doesn't do anything for conditioning as it relates to the physical contact that also can wear you out.

I also think there is something to the possibility that his conditioning may be affected by his larger size due to lifting in the offseason. I never saw him in high school but maybe some of the folks who followed him before he came to SU can comment on that aspect. Is he significantly more muscular than he was in high school?

Actually one of the announcers mentioned during the last game, "Cooney just ran by us and boy is he winded" or something to that extent. With the loss of JS, he has seen alot more PT and this is a fast-paced game.

Yeah, but hopefully that comes as he plays more. If i remember correctly, that comment was after he had played like 8 minutes consecutively. I don't remember the last time he played that long in a row in a game situation.

Triches poor shooting has been quite a surprise. Hopefully he gets it in gear for this stretch run. We'll need him to.

Cooney is going to have a great career here. Not sure if he'll be able to get more consistent this season, but i sure hope so. All of a sudden we could use a pure shooter in the lineup.

I think MCW's % will steadily rise. He's primed to finish strong IMO

I'm not sure why this is a surprise. He's basically been a career 33-34% three point shooter, so he's only a few points down from that. It's not like he's a 42% career shooter shooting 28% this year.

I am not saying he isn't, just repeating what the announcers said.

Got it. I don't put much stock in what these guys say. Wenzel has been better this season, but still only occasionally manages a complete sentence. I expect Elmore to be completely insufferable Saturday.

Since Southerland went off against Arkansas, Cooney is actually shooting a higher percentage from 3 than he is; yet Cooney takes way more heat for his poor shooting. Going off memory but Southerland is 15-55 and Cooney is 17-50

Cooney might be the best on ball defender the team has. At times I think he looks gassed to but that might be a product of him actually exerting himself on defense.

cooney is gonna go all kyle kuric on louisville on saturday
Ahhh, Kuric's last game against SU he was 1-7 from 3 pt 3 of 9 overall in 32 minutes. I would hope Cooney would do better. The game before he was 1-6

I know you really mean Kuric's 1st game but couldn't help mentioning this.

I think this is it speed of game is an issue so he is all out at at times when the other guys are at 80%. Speed of the game could be more mental than physical or more physical than mental, for Cooney I think it is the latter. That doesn't mean he can't make the adjustments needed to be successful, but it does mean his margin for error is smaller. I also don't care for his mechanics, he starts his shot too low (around his waist) which means he will have a hard time shooting when guarded.

I don't think he is ready for Siva or Russ on Saturday and if he plays long minutes we in trouble. Those guys are hard (almost impossible) for anyone to stay in front of but I'm concerned he won't even be able to redirect them. My guess is that unless MCW or BT are in foul trouble both will play close to 40.
Siva always seems to have 3 fouls on him, so he gets rest.

Siva always seems to have 3 fouls on him, so he gets rest.

We need to make this happen early. Post up whoever Siva is guarding (assuming they are in man) whether it be Triche or MCW and get him to foul himself into watching the game.

We need to make this happen early. Post up whoever Siva is guarding (assuming they are in man) whether it be Triche or MCW and get him to foul himself into watching the game.
Like last year?

Let the kid come in and play first before the expectations begin the pressure building when he checks into a game.

...said the guy who thinks Laray Smith will win five Heismans.

Triches poor shooting has been quite a surprise. Hopefully he gets it in gear for this stretch run. We'll need him to...Cooney is going to have a great career here.

Why have you been surprised by Triche's shooting? he is not a good shooter. Even his FT shooting shouldnt shock you. he had one year above 80%.

As for cooney, I truly have no idea if he is going to be good or not. I am curious why you are convinced he is going to have a "great career."

...said the guy who thinks Laray Smith will win five Heismans.
OK buddy I have NEVER SUGGESTED that Laray Smith would win any Heismans. I have insisted that his speed would be a big factor for the team. I don't care if you want to knock me but get the facts right. I expect better from you "Frozen".Speed is the key factor about Laray Smith. We need more of that on both sides of the ball.:confused:

He's shooting a higher % from 3 than MCW, and only three points behind Brandon, according to su athletics.

This is indicative of how poor our guards have been at long range shooting. Let's end it this weekend.

Ya, but you also have to consider that Brandon, and MCW bring a whole lot more to the table then Trevor. TC is a one trick pony, and the trick hasn't been anything to write home about. this is all he can do, and if his numbers are around the other 2 guards, that just shows how bad of shape we are in. it was definitely good to finally see him get a couple shots to drop though. all i want from him is 1 or 2 threes a game, and don't hurt the team when your in. take away those 20 seconds last game, and it was another troubling performance.

OK buddy I have NEVER SUGGESTED that Laray Smith would win any Heismans. I have insisted that his speed would be a big factor for the team. I don't care if you want to knock me but get the facts right. I expect better from you "Frozen".Speed is the key factor about Laray Smith. We need more of that on both sides of the ball.:confused:

CaliCuse said:
Let the kid come in and play first before the expectations begin the pressure building when he checks into a game.

Ya, but you also have to consider that Brandon, and MCW bring a whole lot more to the table then Trevor. TC is a one trick pony, and the trick hasn't been anything to write home about. this is all he can do, and if his numbers are around the other 2 guards, that just shows how bad of shape we are in. it was definitely good to finally see him get a couple shots to drop though. all i want from him is 1 or 2 threes a game, and don't hurt the team when your in. take away those 20 seconds last game, and it was another troubling performance.

Did Cooney dunk on you in high school or something? You seem to have an agenda against him. We're in bad shape? 16-1?

Did Cooney dunk on you in high school or something? You seem to have an agenda against him. We're in bad shape? 16-1?
were in perfect shape. Our three point shooting however is in bad shape . And no I have nothing against Trevor there was nobody cheering louder then me at the game when he hit those threes. I just have to bring a shot of reality when it comes to him though.

were in perfect shape. Our three point shooting however is in bad shape . And no I have nothing against Trevor there was nobody cheering louder then me at the game when he hit those threes. I just have to bring a shot of reality when it comes to him though.

Fair enough.

anomander said:
were in perfect shape. Our three point shooting however is in bad shape . And no I have nothing against Trevor there was nobody cheering louder then me at the game when he hit those threes. I just have to bring a shot of reality when it comes to him though.​

Fair enough.

No, not fair at all.
Granted that his 3pt. shooting is not where either he or we would like it to be. However, he played some very good defense and created two turnovers late in the game for us along with hustling every minute on the floor. If scoring was the only criteria we'd be hard pressed to put too many players on the court.

anomander said:
were in perfect shape. Our three point shooting however is in bad shape . And no I have nothing against Trevor there was nobody cheering louder then me at the game when he hit those threes. I just have to bring a shot of reality when it comes to him though.​

No, not fair at all.
Granted that his 3pt. shooting is not where either he or we would like it to be. However, he played some very good defense and created two turnovers late in the game for us along with hustling every minute on the floor. If scoring was the only criteria we'd be hard pressed to put too many players on the court.

I wasn't agreeing with him, it was more I respect your right to have an opinion.

I hope the Dome is sold out with a new record in orange colored fannies in the seats.There will be some fannies i won't want to see regardless of color.And then there will be a few that pass the color test without regard for the pigment used.:cool:

That's going to be an incredible record for an away game.