Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
filename-wedding-907.jpg

Welcome to National Agriculture Day!

What does Ag Day mean to me? In order to answer this question, I have to think back to my “summer vacations” visiting my grandparent’s dairy farm in Prairie du Chien, Wis. As a city kid, when I visited the farm I thought this is amazing and wonderful—the calves, hay bale stacks, garden—there wasn’t a thing I didn’t love. I saw how hard my grandparents and uncles worked every day and thought, this is what I want to do. They were proud of what they did and ate from what they could grow and raise on the farm.

When I went to college, I thought there was only one answer for me—veterinary school! It turns out I was blessed that was not the path I took. I graduated with a degree in meat and animal science and went to work for a company that manufactured milk replacers for livestock. I quickly discovered the road I turned down was the right one for me—working in an office, getting to solve problems every day and doing what I love by being closely connected to agriculture.

SU News

cooney_ncaa_tourney-300x300.jpg

Orange Watch: Syracuse and the ACC Bring Their 'A' Game to the NCAA Tournament (the juice; Bierman)

Item: If you watch Syracuse basketball games on any of the ACC’s broadcast partners, you’ve undoubtedly seen those ubiquitous, contractually-mandated conference promotional messages shouting out to the rest of the major college basketball landscape; that with seven current league members having won national championships over the past 15 years, if you’re going to compete in the ACC, “you better bring your ‘A’ game.” As the 2016 tournament’s first week concluded with some unfathomable finishes, and Syracuse joining five conference counterparts (not even mentioning an exiled Louisville) to form a record six members of the Sweet 16, with the way the brackets fall the prospects for continued ACC dominance loom large.

Of course, Jim Boeheim would never publicly answer the question about comparing the strength of the Big East of old (five Sweet 16 teams in 2009) with the ACC of today (six in this year’s Sweet 16, and five last season), as he was asked following the No. 10 seed Orange’s 75-50 second round NCAA win over Middle Tennessee Sunday in St. Louis, which advanced Syracuse (21-13) to its 18th Sweet 16 appearance under Boeheim, and fifth over the last eight seasons, continuing an unlikely season against sizzling 11th seed Gonzaga (28-7) Friday night in the Midwest Regional semifinal at the United Center in Chicago (9:40 p.m. ET approx. / TV: CBS – Digital: March Madness Live).

At his core Boeheim has always been downright loyal to those close to him and those who have helped define his Hall of Fame career as long as it has lasted, and that certainly defines the original Big East.

Miami.jpg

ACC Sets Record for Teams in the Sweet 16--With a Little Luck and a Lot of Good Basketball (ajc.com; Kilgore)

Before Syracuse left Washington's Verizon Center on March 9 after losing in the first round of the ACC Tournament, coach Jim Boeheim made a desperate plea. Most bracket experts believed the Orange had played itself out of an NCAA tournament berth with a loss to Pittsburgh, its fifth defeat in six games. Boeheim attempted to sway the committee, arguing Syracuse shouldn't be punished for the five losses it suffered while the coach served an NCAA suspension. For Syracuse, prospects seemed bleak.

Eleven days later, an unthinkable sentence came true: Syracuse muscled past 15th-seeded Middle Tennessee State, which had knocked off Michigan State in the first round, in order to reach the Sweet 16.

The Orange provided the most extreme example of how, in the first two rounds of the NCAA tournament, everything has come up ACC. When Syracuse won 75-50 Sunday night, it became the sixth ACC team to reach the Sweet 16, extending the record for number of teams from one conference to make the second weekend. Notre Dame had become the fifth earlier in the afternoon, joining North Carolina, Virginia, Miami and Duke

"I'm really proud of our league," Notre Dame coach Mike Brey said. "It's playing out to be the best league. Remember, I came from that league called the Big East when we were by far the best league and had this kind of depth and number of NCAA tournament caliber teams. . . . Six from one league in the Sweet 16? It's unbelievable and further validates how hard our league was."

The seven ACC entrants have gone 12-1. The conference seized more than a quarter of the Sweet 16 by beating teams it was supposed to -- no easy feat any season, and especially this season -- and having good fortune in avoiding high-seeded foes. To their credit, ACC teams lost no games in which it was the higher-seeded team. They also played only two games in which they were an underdog.

Other

19994169-mmmain.jpg

http://www.syracuse.com/us-news/ind...ng_with_apple_canceled.html#incart_river_home

FBI Works with 'Outside Party' to Unlock iPhone; Hearing with Apple Canceled (PS; AP)

In a stunning disclosure, federal authorities said Monday that they may have found a way to unlock an iPhone used by one of the shooters in the San Bernardino attack, a development that could make Apple's forced cooperation unnecessary.

A federal prosecutor's spokesman says a much-anticipated hearing over the FBI's demand that Apple help unlock an iPhone used by one of the San Bernardino attackers has been canceled.

Thom Mrozek, a spokesman for the U.S. Attorney's Office, says Magistrate Judge Sheri Pym on Monday granted the government's request to delay the hearing, which had been set for Tuesday.

He says Pym ordered the government to file a status report by April 5.

In a filing late Monday, federal prosecutors asked to delay a much-anticipated court hearing set for Tuesday over the FBI's demand for Apple to help unlock Syed Rizwan Farook's encrypted phone. An "an outside party" came forward over the weekend and showed the FBI a possible method for unlocking the phone, according to the filing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom