Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

Syracuse Basketball ‏@syrbasketball
Jim Boeheim's press conference at the NRG Stadium in Houston is about to begin.

Boeheim: It's exciting to be here and be part of the Final Four again. It's exciting for our players Tremendously proud of what they've done

Boeheim: Our team is 7 guys and it's really all hands on deck. We've gotten here with all guys. They've produced that in this tournament.

Boeheim on Gbinije: He's done the work. He came in as a small forward who didn't shoot the ball or handle it very well.

Boeheim on contract: I disagree I've ever been (ambiguous with my contract). I've never had any ambiguity.

Boeheim: I have no plans (to go longer than 2 years). I have no plans (to step down if we win). I think you should step down when you can't.

Boeheim: Some years you put team in a press and you get your ass beat. Sometimes you put your team in a press and it works. It's execution.

Boeheim: Someone said to me we all have jobs but very few people have jobs that everyone thinks they can do better.

Boeheim: We knew at the start of the year we were going to struggle. Then we went to Atlantis and played better than I thought we could play

Boeheim: I got a vacation and we didn't play well. The first two games we didn't play well. It was a hard adjustment.

Boeheim: For us to continue playing we need to shoot the ball. We're not shooting. We need to shoot the ball better.

Boeheim on Cooney in Michigan: He did not have a good opportunity. I did not put him in a good situation.

Boeheim: Trevor and Mike are graduates. If they felt something was right they could have gone somewhere else. They stayed with us.

Boeheim: You go 27-4. How much do your leaders need to step up? This team has had a lot of opportunities they could have been down.

Boeheim: Trevor has gotten more criticism than anyone I've ever coached. You have great fans and then you have 1 percent that are idiots.

Boeheim to Roy Williams: I told him to win one. I didn't tell him to win two. I hope I didn't say anything that would make him win three.

Boeheim: You guys would be happy if you won a Pulitzer right? You wouldn't have to win two. This probably is the wrong crew to say that to.

Boeheim: Honestly I don't think about (proving people wrong anymore). I probably did. I want these guys to keep winning and having fun.

Boeheim: I thought the words an ex-members said the other day were good. They're not trying to cripple you.

Boeheim: I think the punishment is real. Losing scholarships is never a good thing. We usually play seven but we have 12 or 13.

Boeheim: Nine games is a severe punishment. Losing the games is the most irritating thing to me.

Boeheim: There were similar situations where games weren't being taken away. That was the thing that bothered me as much as anything.

Boeheim: I've coached 40 years. It's something I regret. I don't think we gained any competitive advantage. it weighed on us for years

Boeheim: Breaking rules is what happened. Cheating to me is a different thing.

Boeheim: You can always disagree with an interpretation that is different from this case or this case over here. That's one of the problems.

Boeheim: Someone who is on the committee said: "we have a horrible model."

Boeheim on Dome advantage: I've seen people come into our building and make 60 percent. Guys that can shoot can shoot anywhere.

Last edited:
http://www.thearabtribune.com/articles/2016/03/30/sports/sports5.txt

When Steven Clark decided early last year to accept a scholarship to play football at Syracuse, he knew a little about the school’s reputation in basketball.

It was one factor - albeit a very small one - that helped him decide to leave the South for the Northeast.

On Sunday, he got a crash course in Orange basketball, and he loved every second of it - even if he did give up on the men’s team.

Several of Clark’s teammates and new friends gathered at his apartment Sunday evening to watch Syracuse’s 10th-seeded men’s team play No. 1 seed Virginia in an Elite Eight game. Virginia controlled the game for nearly 30 minutes, so much so that Clark turned the channel. The Orange, which trailed by 16 at the half, was trailing by 15 at the time, 54-39.

A few minutes later, Clark noticed on twitter that Syracuse had made a dent in Virginia’s lead. He quickly turned the channel - and just in time. Syracuse scored 25 of 29 points, including 15 in a row, delighting a campus and a Southern boy who’s starting to warm to life in the North.

“It was wild,” Clark said Monday. “They were getting beat the entire game then they literally just took off.

“That guy (Malachi Richardson) just went crazy.”

Richardson went crazy and then some. The freshman scored 21 of his 23 points in the second half, and Syracuse extended its improbable run from the bubble to the Final Four in Houston with a 68-62 victory.

Syracuse is the first No. 10 seed to reach the Final Four and the fourth double-digit seed to make it. It’s the lowest-seeded team to reach the Final Four since No. 11 VCU in 2011.

To make the day even sweeter, the Syracuse women defeated Tennessee to also reach the Final Four. They’ll play Washington in one semifinal on Sunday.

The Syracuse men will play the only No. 1 seed remaining in the tournament, North Carolina, in Saturday’s nightcap. The first game will pit Villanova against Oklahoma.

Clark said as crazy as Sunday was, this coming weekend will be even more exciting to Syracuse fans.

“It’s going to be really crazy here this weekend,” he said. “We play our spring game Saturday morning, then the basketball team plays the No. 1 team Saturday night.

“Now, we have to do the same thing football.”

As for football, Clark said this spring under new head coach Dino Babers has been eye-opening, to say the least.

“It’s definitely different,” he said. “It’s a faster pace. We do a lot more running in practice.

“That’s where the conditioning is done - in practice.”

Special anniversary

In celebration of the 50th anniversary, ESPN will present Texas Western’s historic victory in the 1966 NCAA Men’s Division I Basketball Tournament Championship Game at 6:30 p.m. today.

The Miners’ 72-65 win against the Kentucky Wildcats became a watershed moment in sports history because it was the first time a college basketball team started five African-American players in the sport’s title game.

“Making History: The 1966 NCAA Championship - Texas Western vs. Kentucky” is a 90-minute presentation featuring the audio call of Walt Sullivan and will contain every basket that took place inside Cole Field House in College Park, Md., on March 19, 1966.