Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

Syracuse Basketball ‏@syrbasketball
Boeheim: We know how good they are. We played pretty well in both games and still couldn't win. We know that. We also know we were close.

Boeheim: We're familiar with them. They're familiar with (us). I'm not sure how much it plays into game. It comes down to who plays well.

Boeheim: UNC gets the ball inside as well as any team in the country. They get it upcourt as well as any team in the country.

Boeheim: If you look carefully, Kansas played 11. In the NCAA Tournament they played 7. ... It's something that's overlooked.

Boeheim: I'd live to have 7. I'd like to have 8. I think we can get away with 7. With zone you have fewer guys in big foul trouble.

Boeheim on Hopkins: The 9 games have nothing to do with him. Thats my team. If he coached the last 6, they'd say he couldn't because we lost

Boeheim: But, oh wait, that was me. He's better with the media, probably than I am. That's not hard. Better with the players, probably.

Boeheim on coaching: Every player is different. Every player has different skill levels. You treat players differently.

Boeheim: The saying you treat everyone the same is true. I'm not sure who came up with it. Probably a football coach since they have 100.

Boeheim: I try to be hard on guys when we first get them. Some guys come in and you don't have to say a word to them.

Boeheim: Malachi likes to get to the basket and he's at his best when he shoots and drives.

Boeheim: At half of the Virginia game we said we weren't going to the basket, we were going side to side.

Boeheim on team personality: They take after their coach, who has no personality.

Boeheim: We've had a series of glitches this year where we've had to get through it. Through it all they come in and they work hard.

Boeheim: We've been a consistent team from that aspect. We haven't been a consistent team winning but there's reasons for that.

Boeheim on video coordinator Todd Blumen: He was here 10 years before I realized he was here. He knows my personality. He knows what I want.

Boeheim: I feel the same as I did 10-20 years ago. Probably better actually. I've been doing pilates twice a day for a decade.

Boeheim: I still don't know how long I'm going to coach. I've never talked about my contract

Boeheim: I think we're rebounding a little bit better over the last 2 games of the tournament

Boeheim: Tyler's effort has gotten better

Boeheim on Roberson: I think he's learned to fight through adversity and maintain his consitency

Boeheim on press: It was good for 4 minutes against Virginia and 2 minutes against Gonzaga. I wouldn't trust it for too much longer.

Boeheim: Our press is very, very not good. We used it once this year and it was against Virginia Tech

Boeheim: Our press was not effective. People went right through it like it wasn't there. Louisville comes to mind

Boeheim: Virginia's made a couple of mistakes that they normally wouldn't make

Boeheim: It's hard to press good teams

Boeheim catches himself when he almost refers to ACC as Big East. Has a chuckle

Boeheim: I only do clinics on the 2-3 zone. 200 I've done in the last number of years

Boeheim on 1975 Final Four: At that it was the greatest thing to happen to Syracuse basketball

No more questions for Boehim. He offers to tell some stories while we wait for Cooney and Gbinije

Boeheim going through his introduction to 2-3 zone clinic now. Good times

Last edited:
WAER Sports ‏@WAERSports 8m8 minutes ago
Mike Gbinije (on transferring): "I thought Syracuse was the best option for me."

Gbinije: "The odds are in our favor. It is tough to beat a team three times in a row although Pitt did prove that wrong."

Gbinije: "We are used to big arenas. We will be fine."

Gbinije: "It's the Final Four so everybody is good. Every team is capable."

Cooney: "North Carolina has good players at every position."

Cooney: "Lydon & Malachi were asking me on the bus how different the Dome is from this place. I told them you'll find out when you get here.

Malachi: "Doesn't matter that we lost to UNC twice already. It's all about the next one tomorrow night."

Malachi: "Gbinije has told me to stay focused throughout the tournament and big stage."

Last edited:
Syracuse Basketball ‏@syrbasketball / WAER Sports ‏@WAERSports
Boeheim: Dajuan has really improved as the season has gone along

Boeheim: I don't think we've had a guy who couldn't play for 2 years and came back. Dajaun rehabbed 3 hours a day during that time.

Boeheim looked at Cooney and asked if he could rehab like Coleman did. Cooney flatly said "no".

Gbinije: I think the whole Duke experience was an eye-opener for me

Gbinije: Coming out of high school I wasn't in good shape and was always tired at the end of Duke practices.

Boeheim to Gbinije: Best thing is I don't yell at him anymore

Cooney asked if his personality matches his coach's. His response: "I don't know how to respond to that".

Cooney on UNC: We can play with these guys

Gbinije: My mom and brother are my good luck charms.

Boeheim, Gbinije and Cooney are done. Headed out to open practice in about 10 minutes

Last edited:

Ce-uJneUEAAe90E.jpg

Last edited: