Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Sewing-Machine-Day.jpg

Welcome to Sewing Machine Day!

Today is Sewing Machine Day! Thomas Saint patented the first sewing machine in 1790. Since then, the sewing machine has become one of the iconic symbols of the Industrial Revolution, representing the transition from traditional handmade goods to automated production.

For many decades the sewing machine was a standard household appliance, but it is no longer considered a domestic necessity. Although the heyday of the sewing machine has come and gone, we can still recognize its significance in our history. Without this important invention, the process of making clothing (and any sewn item) would be extremely tedious. Each article would have to be sewn by hand, stitch by stitch!

To celebrate Sewing Machine Day, dig out your sewing machine and start a new project, or sign up for a sewing class to learn this important handcraft!

SU News

Taurean-ThompsonNEW427.jpg

World Held Hostage Day 287/The Continuing Story of Taurean Thompson (podcast; shoutengine.com; Sigel)

On tonight's podcast, I talk about everything surrounding Taurean Thompson. From the rumors, three schools remaining, his timetable and more. I also answer your twitter questions. Thanks for listening! Ryan will be back with me next week.

636013422785992138-Boeheimarrrive.jpg

Boeheim's recruiting has helped Coaches vs. Cancer (D&C; DiVeronica)

For nearly four decades, Jim Boeheim has been known as one of college basketball's best recruiters, a man who uses big crowds at the Carrier Dome and a coaching style that gives guys freedom to play to lure talent to Syracuse University.

But the secret is out. Boeheim is also a masterful recruiter for the Coaches vs. Cancer golf tournament.

"He comes to this event all over the country every year, brings his ringers, brings the club champion from here at Oak Hill, Darren Ressler," veteran broadcaster and SU graduate Sean McDonough said before Sunday's event at Oak Hill Country Club. "Darren usually shoots 65 or 66 on his own ball. As we know ... the most important part of coaching is being a good recruiter. (Boeheim) even recruits well with his ringers on the golf course."

McDonough, the new voice of Monday Night Football and an SU graduate, was joking, of course. OK, maybe he was only half-kidding.

He was one of the big names in town over the weekend for the 17th annual Coaches vs. Cancer Tournament and banquet, where Boeheim was scheduled to receive the organization's highest honor, its Circle of Honor Award, on Sunday night for leading the charge in raising money and awareness to fight cancer. The 71-year-old native of Lyons, Wayne County and a Naismith Basketball Hall of Famer, Boeheim and his wife, Juli, raised more than $3.2 million for Coaches vs. Cancer during a 10-year run from 2000 to 2009.

Other

20563196-mmmain.jpg

Legoland amusement park in Upstate NY? Developers to pitch plans to town (PS; AP)

Developers are set to unveil plans this week for a Legoland amusement park in Upstate New York's Hudson Valley.

Officials with Merlin Entertainments are expected to give details about the proposed amusement park based on the popular plastic construction toy on Tuesday night in Goshen at a town board meeting.

Orange County had been wooing developers for months after Legoland scrapped plans last year to build in neighboring Rockland County.

Sources say the proposed Legoland would be built along Harriman Drive near Route 17, the Times Herald-Record reports.

Such a theme park would create about 1,000 jobs, bring in additional tax revenues and aid local restaurants and small businesses, county officials told the newspaper. The company reportedly was planning to invest $250 million in the Rockland County site before the project was scuttled.

Sewing machine day!!!!
Worst day of the year for this sort of thing. The choices were Kitchen Klutzes of America Day, Weed Your Garden Day and National Sewing Day.

If you have a food that doesn't have a day of the year to celebrate it, June 13th is a good day to choose.

I will the the ball and run with it.

I nominate June 13th as National Chicken Riggies Day.

Chicken Riggies Recipe(Original)- The Real Utica Story [Vid]

Worst day of the year for this sort of thing. The choices were Kitchen Klutzes of America Day, Weed Your Garden Day and National Sewing Day.

If you have a food that doesn't have a day of the year to celebrate it, June 13th is a good day to choose.

How about national Grandma Browns Baked Beans Day

Anyone have a really good baked bean recipe? I lost my old one.

I know tomorrow is flag day but it's also Bourbon day. Sounds like you might owe us one. BTW, here is how you nominate a day.
Holiday Insights : How to Create a Special Day

Been out on the west coast for a long time and don't remember chicken riggies from my days in Syracuse. Just made them for the first time - pretty damn good - won't be the last time. Never would have known about this except for Tom's mention and another thread about Utica - thanks.

I used the online recipe from Diners, Dives, and Drive Ins, but was smart enough to know that you do not use 8 cups of tomato sauce and 6 cups of heavy cream to serve 6-8 persons.

The article below, suggests that the original recipe used wine and not cream. Who knows, but using wine would seem to lessen its uniqueness. I try it anyways.

This brings back fine reminders of sewing machine day.