Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
FriedChickenDay.png

Welcome to National Fried Chicken DAY!

It’s National Fried Chicken Day! Today we honor a classic American dish. To make this flavorful favorite, coat a piece of chicken in homemade batter and fry it – it's easy! The result is a piece of perfectly cooked chicken that’s crunchy on the outside and juicy on the inside. Yum!

American fried chicken has its roots in the Southern United States, but Europeans have been eating fried chicken since the Middle Ages. During that time, cooks discovered that covering meat in flour and spices before cooking it helped seal in the flavor and made it easier to eat on-the-go.

SU News

Syracuse basketball officially announces date with Colgate (PS; Carlson)

The Syracuse athletic department formally announced its game against Colgate for Friday, Nov. 11. The season-opener was initially reported by CBS Sports' Jon Rothstein in May.

The game will be the 169th between the two schools, the most of any Syracuse opponent. The Orange have won 50 consecutive meetings, and have an overall record of 123-45. The teams have played every year since 1993.

The Orange beat Colgate 78-51 last year, with six different players scoring in double-figures. The Raiders finished last year 13-17 and went 9-9 in the Patriot League.

The game is one of eight non-conference games that have been reported. The ACC has also announced its pairings for the upcoming season, although not the dates. Syracuse's full schedule is expected in late August.

tylerennis.gif

Syracuse Basketball: Former Orange Tyler Ennis Takes First Step Toward Rio Olympics (TNIAAM; Dickinson)

Ennis is trying to send Canada basketball to Brazil.

While other former Syracuse Orange players are fighting for attention in the summer league or riding banana boats, Tyler Ennis is trying to get his country's team in to the 2016 Olympic games.

Ennis, the former Orange point guard and current member of theMilwaukee Bucks, is also the starting point guard for the Canadian national team. Some teams (like Carmelo Anthony's USA squad) have already punched their tickets to Brazil, but others have to earn their place in the Games. Team Canada is one of the teams playing in the Philippines trying to do just that, and on Tuesday took its first step by defeating Turkey, 77-69.

Ennis was quiet from the field, shooting just 1-for-4 for six points. But he had a decent all-around game with three rebounds and a pair of assists in 16 minutes of play for the Canadians. Cory Joseph of the Toronto Raptors led the way with 21 points, while the Cleveland Cavaliers' Tristan Thompson put up 10 points and six rebounds. Canada's next game is tomorrow against Senegal.

Also in the Philippines is Syracuse native Andray Blatche. Blatche is playing for the hometown Philippines, who lost to France this morning. Blatche led the way for his team with 21 points and eight rebounds. The Philippines plays New Zealand tomorrow morning.

Introducing: Jim Boeheim, Real Estate Mogul (TNIAAM; Dickinson)

The Hall-of-Famer is entering the housing business.

Jim Boeheim is a man of many talents. World famous basketball coach? Obviously. Fashion icon? Of course. But now Coach Boeheim has taken on a new venture and entered the lucrative business of off-campus student housing.

Boeheim signed on as an investor of the new apartment building #BLVD404 back in 2015, and has since been the poster child of the project. The six-story building holds 54 apartments and room for 163 SU students. The building will also have a lounge dedicated to the 40-year coach of the Syracuse Orange.

The "Jim Boeheim Hall of Fame Lounge" in the building's main floor is expected feature Boeheim-related memorabilia including one of his jackets and pieces of hardwood from the Carrier Dome used during Syracuse's 2003 National Championship run.

And that's about it. The lounge is the only thing connecting Boeheim to the new housing, and that's just not right. If Jim Boeheim is going to do something, you best believe Syracuse students are going to want it done big. Give me wall-to-wall orange in the apartments. Give me a podium in the bathroom to brush my teeth at. Give me a dart board with Kaleb Joseph's (or name your other doghouse player here's) face on it. I want to live as the Boeheim do.

GettyImages-158450412.0.jpg

Andrew White III Could Take Syracuse From Tournament Team to Final Four Contender (TNIAAM; Szuba)

The fifth-year transfer could fill a large void at Syracuse.

Gone are Syracuse's top three scorers from a season ago.Michael Gbinije and Trevor Cooney have graduated andMalachi Richardson departed after just one season under Jim Boeheim for the NBA. Combined, the troika of Orange departees connected on 262 made threes on the season.

As for the returning players? 51 made threes (49 from Tyler Lydon and 2 from Franklin Howard).

Traditionally Syracuse hasn't been the type of team to get three-point happy. Jim Boeheim has noted that he plans to get up and down a bit more next year, but SU still lacks outside shooting. Of course, Syracuse has added John Gillon to its backcourt as well as Tyus Battle. But neither Battle nor Gillon's modus operandi is the long ball. Gillon is an effective shooter whereas Battle is better from mid-range, but neither guy is a consistent threat from deep. I'm sure Howard has been working diligently on his jump shot, however, his strengths are better suited for running an offense, finding open teammates and shooting from 15 feet and in.

From the forward spots, Lydon is the only legitimate threat from outside and will be relied upon to take and make threes this season.

Andre Riddick: A Father, A Legend, and My Friend (aseaofblue.com; Patrick)

Andre Riddick Interview

Me: Did you play multiple sports growing up?

Andre: I played multiple sports for fun. Football, basketball, and baseball but my high school didn't have a football team and I wasn't good at baseball. I just liked to play so I went with basketball and followed in the footsteps of my two older brothers.

Me: Growing up, when did you realize basketball was something in which you excelled?

Andre: I recognized I was a good basketball player when I started playing AAU ball with the New York Gauchos, my junior year. The first tournament I played in I won MVP of the tourney.

I started getting letters from a lot of schools. The first one I got was from The University of Kentucky. I always remembered that.

Me: What schools, besides UK, did you visit and did you seriously consider any school besides UK?

Andre: I visited Pitt, Syracuse, Umass and Miami. I was scheduled to visit temple after my UK visit but I cancelled it because I knew I was choosing UK after my visit. Everyone had a legit chance to sign me.

Other

20694043-mmmain.jpg

DOT considers fewer lanes on Onondaga Lake Parkway, what do you think? (PS; Hannagan)

The New York State Department of Transportation may cut the number of lanes on the Onondaga Lake Parkway as part of its plans to make the road safer especially for tall trucks that occasionally hit a low railroad bridge there.

The DOT will hold a public informational meeting from 5 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. on July 12, in the main auditorium of the town of Salina offices at 201 School Road, Liverpool. A short formal presentation will take place at 6 p.m. Representatives from DOT will be on hand to answer questions before and after the presentation.

At the meeting officials plan to reveal preliminary drawings for various design alternatives for the project on the Onondaga Lake Parkway section of Route 370, which stretches from the Interstate 81 access interchange to Old Liverpool Road in the village of Liverpool. Work is expected to take place during the 2018 and 2019 construction seasons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom