Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Sept-21-International-Day-of-Peace.jpg

Welcome to International Day of Peace!

The International Day of Peace, also known as Peace Day, was brought into being by United Nations Resolutions in 1981 and 2001. Each year, hundreds of students take part in a student observance of Peace Day at the United Nations which includes Messengers of Peace. View the UN's Peace Day page:www.un.org/peaceday.

SU News

CIrcqhlVAAIOjFR.jpg

How Michael Gbinije pitched Andrew White to choose Syracuse's basketball program
(PS; Ditota)

Back home in Richmond, Michael Gbinije has an elementary school yearbook that includes photos of himself and Andrew White. The two future college basketball stars lived in the same neighborhood and also spent one year together at Thomas Dale High School.

So when Gbinije discovered, during a summer conversation with Syracuse basketball assistant Adrian Autry that White was transferring from Nebraska and considering the Orange as his final college basketball destination, Gbinije had an idea. He would call White, meet with him in person and pitch him on his college alma mater.

"I told him, 'Hey, compare the last two seasons, it's been a successful year for seniors,'" Gbinije said. "I told him 'You're going to be in the ACC, you're going to get exposure, you're going to have good competition. It's gonna be fun.' I told him about the guys on our team right now – I told him about all their personalities, what I like about them. I just wanted him to feel comfortable about Syracuse as a whole."

Gbinije said after he returned home from representing Nigeria in the Rio Olympics last month, he spent time with White in Richmond. The two knew each other, Gbinije said, but traveled in different social circles.

"He had his group of friends, I had mine," Gbinije said. "But over this past summer, we really spent time together. Mostly talking. Once I figured out he was transferring and Syracuse was looking at him that's when I kind of got involved. We got up shots when I got back from the Olympics. Just like talking and hanging out."

How John Gillon went from unknown quantity to sought-after senior (TNIAAM; Szuba)

Raise your hand if you knew who John Gillon was before he announced he was going to transfer and showed interest in Syracuse. Alright, for those of you with your hands up, you’re all liars. And shame on you for actually raising your hand while reading this. Simon didn’t say.

Anyway, Mike Waters wrote a nice piece on Gillon yesterday profiling his unheralded high school/AAU career to having offers from two 2016 Final Four teams and a Sweet 16 team for his final year of collegiate eligibility.

“I wasn’t highlight recruited at all. There were a few other places that were interested, but didn’t have scholarships,” Gillon said of his recruitment out of high school.

Gillon wasn’t a sought-after recruit in high school. He didn’t compete with the revered Houston Hoops AAU team and as such his exposure was limited. Gillon did garner the attention of some smaller D1 programs and would eventually commit to play basketball at Arkansas-Little Rock. Yes, that’s the same team that beat Purdue in double-overtime in last year’s first round of the NCAA Tournament. Gillon knows Josh Hagins and according to Gillon he was given buckets on the reg.

Other

Lucy-Homepage-no-logo-22.jpg

Lucy Kaplansky

Ballpark Brewfest, Syracuse Indie Market: 11 things to do this weekend in CNY (PS; Pucci)

When you're not busy apple picking or shopping for this year's Jack-O-Lanterns, check out some of these ways to stay busy in Central New York this weekend.

Something's Brewing in CNY

Learn the history of mankind's favorite beverage from Syracuse.com/The Post-Standard food and drink writer Don Cazentre and Salt City Brew Club's Sarah Townsend and Christophe Colebrook.

The evening of drinking and learning is the first installment of the Strathmore Speaker Series' fall season.

Where: Now & Later, 620 Ulster St., Syracuse.
When: Thursday, Sept. 22, at 7 p.m.
How much: Free, but RSVPs are required.

The cast of "Witness for the Prosecution" being staged by CNY Playhouse. Photo courtesy of CNY Playhouse/Amelia Beamish

Witness for the Prosecution

The twists and turns of this Agatha Christie courtroom drama is coming to The Central New York Playhouse for seven shows, running from Sept. 22 to Oct. 1. Syracuse.com theater critic Neil Novelli said the performance offers "plentiful laughs, suspense and entertainment right into its closing seconds."

Where: The Central New York Playhouse, Shoppingtown Mall, 3649 Erie Blvd. E. DeWitt.
When: Thursday, Sept. 22 to Saturday, Oct. 1. All shows start at 8 p.m.
How much: Tickets range from $17 to $20 and are available at the box office, or online at cnyplayhouse.com.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom