Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
hungry-history-the-halloween-pumpkin-an-american-history-E.jpeg

Welcome to Halloween!

Straddling the line between fall and winter, plenty and paucity, life and death, Halloween is a time of celebration and superstition. It is thought to have originated with the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain, when people would light bonfires and wear costumes to ward off roaming ghosts. In the eighth century, Pope Gregory III designated November 1 as a time to honor all saints and martyrs; the holiday, All Saints’ Day, incorporated some of the traditions of Samhain. The evening before was known as All Hallows’ Eve and later Halloween. Over time, Halloween evolved into a secular, community-based event characterized by child-friendly activities such as trick-or-treating. In a number of countries around the world, as the days grow shorter and the nights get colder, people continue to usher in the winter season with gatherings, costumes and sweet treats.

SU News

Syracuse basketball center Dajuan Coleman chases hoop dream, master's degree in season 5 (PS; Waters)

Four years ago, Dajuan Coleman's college career was dawning with great expectations.

Coleman, then a 6-foot-9 prodigy, had led Jamesville-DeWitt High School to three New York Class A state championships in four varsity seasons. He had been named New York's Mr. Basketball by the state's basketball coaches and played in the 2012 McDonald's All-American Game.

An NBA career seemed almost a certainty. It was only a matter of time.

Time. It goes by quickly during the good times and it drags on slowly during the down times.

The past four years have seen a little bit of both for Coleman. He's been a part of two Final Four teams. He's also endured two major surgeries on his knees. He's missed parts of two seasons and all of the 2014-15 campaign.

As Coleman prepares for his final year at Syracuse University that NBA career seems far less certain, but his outlook remains optimistic as borne out by the smile that cuts across his round face even when talking about what might have been.

"I like to think positive,'' Coleman said at the ACC's annual media day last week. "I never really think negatively. I try to turn negatives into positives. Things might not go your way, but with hard work and dedication, you've got to believe that you're going to be successful.

"Whatever your situation is you've just got to keep fighting and just never give up.''

Watch: Former Syracuse highlight machine Jerami Grant reverse dunk, reject Tim Hadaway Jr. (PS; Carlson)

Former Syracuse star Jerami Grant established himself as a shot-blocking threat in the NBA last season, finishing 12th overall in that statistic with 1.65 per game.

The former Syracuse highlight machine earned mixed reviews for his performance during a 104-72 loss to the Atlanta Hawks on Saturday but delivered a few of the jaw-dropping moments that Syracuse fans will always associate with him.

First, Grant smothered a layup attempt by former Final Four nemesis Tim Hardaway Jr. of Michigan. Later, Grant blew by Hardaway Jr., and threw down a reverse dunk over a half-hearted block attempt by Thabo Sefolosha.

Jerami Grant with the reverse flush. Jerami Grant with the reverse flush.

— Jake Hyman (@RealJakeHyman) October 29, 2016
Grant scored six points on 2-for-7 shooting in 19 minutes for the 76ers. He had two blocks and three rebounds.

Tricks and treats for Syracuse football and basketball - The Juice Online (the juice; Auger)

Halloween always brings a lengthy To Do List. Candy supply? Check. Jim Boeheim and Dino Babers masks? Check. Costume for the family pet? Check. So as you prepare for the pending candy coma sure to befall your kids, let’s take a look at some tricks and treats relative to the Syracuse football and men’s basketball teams.

Trick

Stop me if you’ve previously come across this news bulletin but the basketball team has yet to land a commitment from the 2017 class. But since Syracuse is involved with a handful of recruits who are the best of the best in their class, landing a blue chipper or two will take time and effort. An abundance of playing time to offer as bait sure doesn’t hurt either. Conventional wisdom says that once JB lands that first big fish…cough…Quade Green…cough…others will quickly follow given the chance to play with a point guard of his stature. With the early signing period right around the corner, fans should receive some clarity soon.

Treat

Never mind potential recruits, have you seen this year’s roster? Syracuse is a wagon! And a versatile one at that! After receiving a late commitment from freshman Taurean Thompson and plucking grad transfers John Gillon and Andrew White III from the college free agents list, the Orange reloaded for a shot at back-to-back final four runs.

gbinije-pistons-main-compressor.jpg

Michael Gbinije Talks Coach K, Jim Boeheim, Dave Bing And ... Video Games (thepostgame.com; Eisenband)

ThePostGame: Other than basketball, what have you been up to since graduation?
MICHAEL GBINIJE: Playing video games for the most part. Obviously we've been having tough practices and basically. I've just been wanting to rest and video games are a good way for me to rest.

TPG: Do you have the new 2K?
GBINIJE: I do not.

TPG: What have you been playing?
GBINIJE: Resident Evil 6 with my teammate Ray McCallum.

TPG: Who's better?
GBINIJE: Me, by far. We spend a lot of time at the practice facility and going through film and just talking about basketball in general, so when I get home, I kind of want to leave basketball outside of the house and focus on other stuff.

TPG: How did you balance that in college?
GBINIJE: I remember during our Final Four, as soon as the NCAA Tournament started, we brought the Xbox for the road, and at that time we would play the 2K video game and we used to stay up until probably 11 at night just playing with all four controllers.

TPG: Well, it clearly helped you guys make a deep run.
GBINIJE: We're in a hotel room not going anywhere with four people playing at once, you kind of feel the team chemistry itself. And we're all completive, we're all trying to win, so we're not even focused at all on basketball as a whole. It's a nice way to get into a break.

TPG: Is it starting to sink in that you're an NBA player?
GBINIJE: Absolutely. It's definitely a dream come true, I'm just trying to step even further and decide to be better.

KU’s Josh Jackson looking forward to exhibition debut against Washburn on Tuesday (kansascity.com; Bedore)

Preston says he’s waiting
Billy Preston, a 6-9, 220-pound senior forward from Oak Hill Academy who is ranked No. 8 in the recruiting class of 2017 by , made an official visit to USC over the weekend.

He has also visited KU, Syracuse and Indiana and made two unofficial visits to Maryland.

He told phenomhoopreport.com that he “is in no rush. I plan on making my decision in the spring sometime.”

Of the schools he’s visited, he said: “Every school is great. I feel I fit in at every single program. At all four schools I feel I could contribute to the team and help them win a national championship.”

ACC Basketball: 10 must watch conference games (bustingbrackets.com; Proffitt)

10. Syracuse at Louisville
When: February 26

Prediction: 64-60, Syracuse

Syracuse and Louisville will be two of the top five teams in the ACC this season. Both are recovering from recent scandals that cost them previous postseasons.

However, the programs are in positive shape overall.

Jim Boeheim and Rick Pitino both recruited some strong players for this season in Tyus Battle (Syracuse) and V.J. King (Louisville). This is going to provide us with a good match-up on the low block between Louisville’s Mangok Mathiang and Syracuse’s Tyler Lydon or Tyler Roberson.

Louisville has struggled in recent years to shoot the ball consistently, but with Donovan Mitchell potentially having a breakout campaign that may change. It will be interesting to see if Syracuse’s 2-3 zone can contain Mitchell.

9201930-tyler-lydon-ncaa-basketball-ncaa-tournament-second-round-middle-tennessee-state-vs-syracuse-850x486.jpg

2. Virginia at Syracuse
When: February 4

Prediction: 61-59, Syracuse

This could potentially end up being the best game of the ACC slate but because of both teams’ styles. UVA plays a very slow style and Syracuse’s 2-3 zone defense won’t make them move any faster.

I’m most excited about watching Austin Nichols and Isaiah Wilkins match-up against Tyler Lydon and Tyler Roberson. This post match is going to be a really good one because of the length that consists on both roster. Lydon comes in as maybe the top sophomore in the ACC and Nichols as one of the top transfers to enter the conference.

If you like watching the fundamentals and a traditional approach, pay attention to this one. This could be a determining factor in who gets second or third in the ACC.

Other

21420344-standard.jpeg

'Beetlejuice' wedding flash mob: CNY couple surprises guests with 'Day-O' dance (video) (PS; Herbert)

A Central New York couple surprised their wedding guests with a "Beetlejuice" flash mob-like performance over Halloween weekend.

Nick Streeter and Allison Roy, of Auburn, N.Y., tied the knot on Saturday after six years of dating. After saying "I do," a strange but familiar song started playing during the best man's speech: "The Banana Boat Song (Day-O)" by Harry Belafonte.

Allison Streeter, 33, started lip-syncing the lyrics, as if she were possessed -- much like Catherine O'Hara's character Delia Deetz in the 1988 movie directed by Tim Burton and starring Michael Keaton. Guests laughed as the groom feigned confusion, but by the time the first verse began, both were standing together and dancing along.

Family and friends quickly joined in on the fun, waving black napkins and swaying to the music like in the famous dinner scene. The best man even tapped a bucket like Glenn Shadix's character Otho as every move was recreated perfectly, even screaming for the finale.

"We love 'Beetlejuice,'" Nick, 29, explained. "That's her favorite movie of all time. We had this idea, like yeah, we could do that for our wedding. We never took it too seriously until our DJ took it and ran with it."

Last edited:
Really nice article from Mike on Coleman.

Agree 100%.

I really think that the fanbase under-appreciates Coleman, and how hard the kid has worked to get back to being a contributor. He arrived at SU as a very borderline academic case, and has absolutely killed it academically at SU, and is now getting a master's degree.

He arrived overweight--and this is the thing that I still shake my head in disbelief over--but he actually LOST weight during the offseason where he had to sit out with his leg in an immobilizer by juicing. Usually, when heavy guys can't do cardio, they blow up like balloons--but instead, Coleman showed tremendous discipline and lost weight, which in turn made his rehabilitation process more efficient and enabled him to get back on the court sooner.

This offseason, he lost even MORE weight and is downright svelte. He is going to have a solid year.

And even early in his career when he wasn't playing a ton, he demonstrated an unbelievable attitude on the bench. He's always the first guy up, clapping for his teammates no matter whether he was playing or not.

Even if he never lives up to the McDonald's AA billing, which seems unlikely, he deserves a lot of respect from SU fans. Kid has gone through a lot, and he should be lauded for both the work ethic and the positive attitude he's shown as a member of this program.

Very easy kid to root for.

Last edited:
Agree 100%.

I really think that the fanbase under-appreciates Coleman, and how hard the kid has worked to get back to being a contributor. He arrived at SU as a very borderline academic case, and has absolutely killed it academically at SU, and is now getting a master's degree.

He arrived overweight--and this is the thing that I still shake my head in disbelief over--but he actually LOST weight during the offseason where he had to sit out with his leg in an immobilizer by juicing. Usually, when heavy guys can't do cardio, they blow up like balloons--but instead, Coleman showed tremendous discipline and lost weight, which in turn made his rehabilitation process more efficient and enabled him to get back on the court sooner.

This offseason, he lost even MORE weight and is downright svelte. He is going to have a solid year.

And even early in his career when he wasn't playing a ton, he demonstrated an unbelievable attitude on the bench. He's always the first guy up, clapping for his teammates no matter whether he was playing or not.

Even if he never lives up to the McDonald's AA billing, which seems unlikely, he deserves a lot of respect from SU fans. Kid has gone through a lot, and he should be lauded for both the work ethic and the positive attitude he's shown as a member of this program.

Very easy kid to root for.

I completely agree. He is a major success story IMO for getting his degree and getting back on the basketball court. I think he's going to have a great senior campaign and he deserves it as much as anyone. It seems he will play in the 17-23 minutes per game range so his numbers may not look overly impressive but I feel that his per minutes stats are going to be very good.