Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
New-Election-Day-2016jpg.gif

Welcome to Election Day!

Election Day in the United States is the day set by law for the general elections of public officials. Election Day is on "the Tuesday next after the first Monday in the month of November." [1] The earliest possible date is November 2, and the latest possible date is November 8 (as it will be for the 2016 election).

For federal offices (President, Vice President, and United States Congress), Election Day occurs only in even-numbered years. Presidential elections are held every four years, in years divisible by four, in which electors for President and Vice President are chosen according to the method determined by each state. Elections to the United States House of Representatives and the United States Senate are held every two years; all Representatives are elected to serve two-year terms and are up for election every two years, while Senators serve six-year terms, staggered so that one third of Senators are elected in any given general election. General elections in which presidential candidates are not on the ballot are referred to as midterm elections. Terms for those elected begin in January the following year; the President and Vice President are inaugurated ("sworn in") on Inauguration Day, which is usually on January 20.

SU News

passthru_imagecredit_syracuselemoynembbpromo-900x540.jpg

Le Moyne vs. Syracuse Preview (thedolphin.com; Jensen)

The Le Moyne men’s basketball team will tip off against division one powerhouse Syracuse University at the Carrier Dome in their first exhibition game Tuesday, Nov. 8. This will be the seventh game between the Dolphins and the Orange in ten years. One of those seven games counted as a regular season matchup.

The Dolphins are coming off a season where they went 10-17 and 7-13 in the Northeast-10 Conference. The majority of last season’s roster returns this year, consisting of two freshmen, two sophomores, seven juniors, and two seniors. The Dolphins have three players from the Syracuse area on the team in senior guard Tyquan Rolon (Nottingham), junior forward Daniel Kaigler (Bishop Ludden) and freshman guard Jason Vassallo (Westhill).

Syracuse is coming off a solid 23-14 season where they reached the Final Four in the NCAA tournament. The Orange have six brand new players aboard. The three-man freshmen class they acquired is ranked 17th in the country.

The Dolphins visited the Dome last season in head coach Patrick Beilein’s very first game. Syracuse won 97-58. The past seven games between the Dolphins and the Orange have been quite lopsided. The Dolphins have posted a 1-6 record against the Orange in games since 2004. The lone 82-79 win came on Nov. 3, 2009. This season’s exhibition game against the Orange will be the Dolphins’ 14th game against division one teams since 2004. Six of the last eleven games have been against Syracuse. Other division one teams they have played include Monmouth, St. Bonaventure, Georgia Tech, and Loyola Chicago. Beilein spoke upon the upcoming matchup.

Syracuse University News » » Reminder Regarding Basketball Game Day and Game Night Parking (syr.edu; Kobland)

Syracuse University men’s basketball games are scheduled to occur while classes are in session on the following dates:

Tuesday, Nov. 8, vs. LeMoyne
Tuesday, Nov. 15, vs. Holy Cross
Tuesday, Jan. 24, 2017, vs. Wake Forest
Monday, Feb. 13, vs. Louisville
Wednesday, Feb. 22, vs. Duke

For academic purposes, home lot parking permits will be honored until four hours prior to tip-off. After this time, home lot permits will be honored at Booth Garage or Ostrom, Harrison, and Lehman lots.

For game attendance your home lot permit will be honored in the Manley North or South parking lots. Patrons will be transported to and from College Place. Disabled parking is available at Skytop; patrons will be transported to and from Gate A/Gate G.

Parking and Transit Services appreciates your support of these procedures. If you have any questions or require alternate arrangements, please contact Dee Bailey at debailey or 315.443.4596.

21474665-standard.jpg

Syracuse basketball vs. Le Moyne: 7 things to watch for in final exhibition (PS; photo gallery)

SU's full‑court press Syracuse used its full court press to speed up the game and force turnovers in an 8365 win over Indiana (Pa.) University last Tuesday at the Carrier Dome. Syracuse's combination of size, athleticism and depth should help the Orange pressure opposing teams effectively and more often than in recent years.

DSC_2412-1024x683.jpg

Bryan Sekunda: After ACL tear, Seawolves shooter looks to regain form (sbstatesman.com; Zarb)

The Stony Brook men’s basketball team was riding the longest winning streak in the country last season: 19 games. They were on the road, going up against their biggest rivals: the Albany Great Danes.

Late in the game, then-sophomore shooting guard Bryan Sekunda collapsed to the ground with an all-too-familiar pop in his knee.

“[It] was a non-contact injury,” Sekunda said. “It was one of those freak accidents that just happen. But you just have to move on.”

Sekunda, now entering his junior season, had last season cut short because of a torn ACL in his left knee. The injury kept him sidelined for the historic Seawolves postseason run, in which they reached the NCAA Tournament for the first time ever.

Now, after eight months of rehabilitation, Sekunda enters the 2016-17 season as the top returning scorer, after the team lost stars Jameel Warney and Carson Puriefoy to graduation. Along with senior point guard Lucas Woodhouse, Sekunda will look to lead the Seawolves back to the promise land.
Glenn Sekunda, Bryan’s father, played college basketball at Syracuse before transferring to Penn State. He then took his talents overseas after college where he played professional basketball in Italy for 12 years. Bryan grew up in the country watching his father play professionally, which inspired him to play the game as well.

Dick Vitale previews college basketball’s upcoming season (bradenton.com; Wilson)

In his more than 30 years with ESPN, Dick Vitale has become one of the most prominent faces in college basketball. He’s one of ESPN’s top announcers and has seen as much college basketball as just about anybody.

With the season beginning Friday, Vitale, a Manatee County resident, took some time to answer a few of the most burning questions for the coming months, tackling everything from the presumed favorites and Final Four contenders, to his Diaper Dandies and potential sleepers.

The Bradenton Herald: Duke seems to be the consensus No. 1 team in the country. Do the Blue Devils have any shot to run the table?

Dick Vitale: I think running the table’s almost impossible. When you think about, for example, the conference, how tough it’s going to be. The (ACC), from top to bottom, will be the best in America. You line up with teams like North Carolina, who’s going to be outstanding, Louisville’s going to be fantastic, Virginia—I mean it’s incredible. You go down the line: Syracuse. It’d be so difficult on the road to be able to do that. You’ve got injuries. They’re going to have a great team. There’s no question, but when I look at, certainly, Carolina, I look at Virginia, I look at Louisville — those are all Top 10 teams, and away from home very, very difficult.
BH: Who from outside your top 12 do you think can be a Final Four or national-championship contender?

DV: I think when you look across America and you look at the major conferences, sometimes there are the teams in the middle of that pack that can really, really be dangerous, that have a chance to really create noise. I look out there and you see teams, for example, out in the Pac-12 are going to be really good. Oregon I guess most people have them very high. UCLA should really be improved this year. They’re a team that can really surprise some people because they were down last year, big time, but they’re talent level’s a lot better right now.

When you think of the ACC, I mentioned early teams I hit you with in terms of the Top 10: Virginia, Carolina, Duke and Louisville, but you look there and you see a team like Syracuse, not going to be in the Top 10. Their talent level’s really a lot better than they had last year. The kid (Tyler) Lydon should be a terrific inside player for them, can step out and shoot the 3, as well.

Transfers take on larger roles for La Salle (philly.com; Jeradi)

After games last season, La Salle coach John Giannini would often speak wistfully about what was going to happen next season. Well, next season - the season after the Explorers lost all 11 of their true road games against Division I opponents, went 0-7 in the city (if you count an exhibition loss to Philadelphia University) and suffered the worst loss in school history, 95-49 to Miami in the Palestra - has arrived and not a moment too soon.

"It's over, and it's not the norm," Giannini said. "It was one bad year. . . . It was my doing."

B. J. Johnson (Lower Merion High, Syracuse), Pookie Powell (Memphis) and Demetrius Henry (South Carolina) are no longer players that the coach wishes he could play. They are eligible after sitting out a transfer season.

Still, Giannini is unready to commit to anything at this stage, not even a starting lineup.

"We're going to change our starting lineup pretty frequently I think," he said. "We're going to base it on practice performance. I want our most talented guys to feel the pressure to be consistent. I don't want them to relax and think I got my job. I want those guys to be great, and I want them to push themselves to be great. If they're great all the time, they'll start all the time. But there's probably going to be games when they're not at their best, and we'll give someone else a chance."

Other

Snake on a plane: Samuel L. Jackson movie turns into real-life nightmare (video) (PS; AP)

Passengers on a commercial flight in Mexico were given a start when a serpent slithered into the cabin in a scene straight out of the Hollywood thriller "Snakes on a Plane."

The green reptile appeared suddenly on an Aeromexico flight from Torreon in the country's north to Mexico City on Sunday, emerging from the ceiling behind an overhead luggage compartment.

Cellphone video shot by passenger Indalecio Medina showed it wriggling briefly as if trapped before partially dropping down into the cabin.

"I was reading a magazine and the passenger next to me saw it and, 'Oh my word!'" Medina told The Associated Press by phone Monday. He estimated it was over 3 feet (about 1 meter) in length.

Passengers hastily unbuckled themselves to get clear of the dangling snake before it dropped to the floor, where people trapped it between rows 5 and 6 with blankets provided by a flight attendant, Medina said.

"It was a frightening situation ... but people remained calm because it didn't get out of that space and nobody became hysterical," Medina said. "Some people got up to see what kind of reptile it was, but nobody got carried away."

After the pilot radioed ahead, the plane was given priority landing in Mexico City and touched down 10 minutes later. Passengers exited out the rear, and animal control workers came on board to take the stowaway into custody.

Aeromexico said in a statement that it was investigating how the snake got into the cabin and would take measures to keep such an incident from happening again.