Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
eoccs-technology-blog-first-day-of-winter-CF7Fu2-clipart.gif

Welcome to The First Day of Winter!

Winter solstice (or hibernal solstice) is an astronomical phenomenon marking the shortest day and the longest night of the year. In the Northern Hemisphere this is the December solstice and in the Southern Hemisphere this is the June solstice.

The axial tilt of Earth and gyroscopic effects of its daily rotation mean that the two opposite points in the sky to which the Earth's axis of rotationpoints (axial precession) change very slowly (making a complete circle approximately every 26,000 years). As the Earth follows its orbit around the Sun, the polar hemisphere that faced away from the Sun, experiencing winter, will, in half a year, face towards the Sun and experience summer. This is because the two hemispheres face opposite directions along Earth's axis, and so as one polar hemisphere experiences winter, the other experiences summer. The winter solstice is considered by some to mark the end of autumn and the start of winter.

SU News

25-1.jpg

John Gillon on Twitter trolls: 'If I really suck, we can meet up any time and play one-on-one' (DO; Schneidman)

If you want to tell John Gillon that he sucks at basketball on Twitter, he welcomes you to a friendly game of one-on-one.

“I can’t bet any money, but I’ll be done with college after this,” Gillon said. “If you guys wanna play me for a car note or something after the season’s over, we can play, if you really feel that way. If you don’t, I wouldn’t tweet me anymore.”

On Sunday night, Gillon tweeted, “Grown men really sit on here and hate on college kids smh.” In his first season at a Power 5 school, Gillon is realizing the occasionally unpleasant world of dealing with social media as a college athlete with a sizable fan base like Syracuse’s.

Grown men really sit on here and hate on college kids smh

— John Gillon (@John_Gillon1) December 19, 2016

Syracuse (7-4) got back in the win column with a 105-57 drubbing of Eastern Michigan (6-5) on Monday night in the Carrier Dome, but the Orange has disappointed for the most part in nonconference play. A downside of that is unhappy fans taking to social media to vent their displeasures, as if their criticism will turn the ship around for head coach Jim Boeheim and company.

upload_2016-12-21_6-57-37.png

Has SU’s coaching transition affected recruiting?
(TNIAAM; Sigel)

Syracuse has been fortunate in the past few seasons gathering early commitments from elite prospects. Whether it was Chris McCullough, Malachi Richardson or Matt Moyer, recruiting wasn’t something that fans necessarily worried about.

For the 2017 class, the Orange has commitments from Oshae Brissett and Bourama Sidibe. Both have stated the transition of coaches didn’t affect their decisions, but has it affected others?

“Yeah, I knew all that going in,” Brissett told Adam Zagoria. “That is not a problem with me. Getting one year with a Hall of Fame coach like coach Boeheim, it will help me in the long run.”

@carmeloanthony @Cuse_MBB pic.twitter.com/prWBTgAG2S

— Oshae Brissett (@O11_TTRE) November 13, 2016
The Orange got in on Brissett at a good time. He had transferred to Athlete Institute (Canada) from Findlay Prep (Las Vegas), and immediately fell in love with the program. His official visit went as good as it possible can, which ultimately led to a commitment a few weeks later.

Zagoria points out in his New York Times column that rival coaches haven’t used Boeheim’s retirement as a negative recruiting pitch, perhaps because of the respect they hold for him.

However, the Orange have missed out on high priority recruits this cycle: Quade Green, Lonnie Walker and Brandon Randolph. Syracuse had been after Green for over two years, and he ultimately signed with Kentucky.

Green’s high school coach, Carl Arrigale, doubted Boeheim

Other

-cb680e65b09d5b7d.jpg

Syracuse agency delays vote on $1.7 million tax break for student apartments (PS; Moriarty)

The Syracuse Industrial Development Agency postponed a vote Tuesday on $1.7 million in tax exemptions for a proposed $66.6 million student apartment project near Syracuse University.

The agency agreed to put the vote off until January after member Donald Schoenwald said he wanted more time to consider the request from BVSHSSF Syracuse LLC, an affiliate of Peak Campus, of Atlanta, Ga., the country's second largest privately-owned student housing company.

Peak Campus has proposed building a 244-unit student apartment project at 945 E. Genesee St. The development would have 604 beds and 6,000 square feet of commercial space.

The developer has applied for an exemption, worth $1.36 million, from sales taxes on construction materials and an exemption from the state mortgage recording tax, worth $363,750. It is not seeking property tax exemptions.

Mark Riley, senior vice president of development for Peak Campus, told the agency the tax exemptions the company is seeking are an "important part" of the project's feasibility. He said the project would be "expensive to execute."

An analysis of the city's student housing market by Camoin Associates, of Saratoga, found that new off-campus student housing projects likely would be successful at attracting students who prefer new housing with lots of amenities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom