Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
international-day-for-the-elimination-of-racial-discrimination.jpg

Welcome to International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination!

The International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination is observed annually on 21 March. On that day, in 1960, police opened fire and killed 69 people at a peaceful demonstration in Sharpeville, South Africa, against the apartheid pass laws. Proclaiming the day in 1966, the United Nations General Assembly called on the international community to redouble its efforts to eliminate all forms of racial discrimination.[1]

SU News

114.jpg

Jim Boeheim now has exactly what he wants (DO; Grossman)

Jim Boeheim has an untouchable air about him. That’s earned after nearly a half-century of coaching at the same school. He operates his team freely, says what he wants and continues to lead Syracuse even after demonstrating a “lack of institutional control” in the NCAA’s eyes.

But the truth is, Boeheim felt boxed in by an email. Specifically, the 11th paragraph of a campus-wide email sent in the wake of NCAA sanctions on March 18, 2015.

“Coach Boeheim … intends to retire as Head Coach in three years,” the message from Chancellor Kent Syverud said.

Boeheim no longer dictated his exit from the program he built. An email did.

“I did not want to make it public,” Boeheim said of his preplanned retirement on Monday. “I thought that was a mistake … I was overruled.”

Now there’s a new course in place, one that aligns precisely with Boeheim’s desire for secrecy and ambiguity. Mike Hopkins’ hiring as Washington’s next head coach left the Orange without its next head coach. That cornered Director of Athletics John Wildhack into making a decision about Boeheim, slated to yield the head coaching position to Hopkins after next season. Wildhack offered Boeheim a contract extension, the length of which is being kept secret.

After sprained ankle, Waiters hopes to return before end of regular season (miamiherald.com; Navarro)

When Dion Waiters sprained his left ankle last month in Minnesota, he missed three games for the Heat.

It’s clear this latest ankle injury feels a lot worse, and the 25-year-old shooting guard said his goal now is simply to get back before the Heat wraps up the regular season.

“I haven’t felt pain like this in so long,” said Waiters, who spoke to reporters in the Heat locker room before Sunday’s game against the Trail Blazers while standing on crutches.

“The last time I had one of these was the last time I broke my ankle in high school. Even when I did [sprain my ankle] in Minnesota, it was a week and a couple days. I wasn’t 100 percent when I came back, but it wasn’t as severe as this one was.

“This one is a little worse than that one. But we’ve just got to continue moving in the right direction, take it day by day. I believe in my guys. I believe they’re going to hold the fort down for me. It sucks not being out there, especially the rhythm and everything we were in and I was in. But it’s a minor setback for a major comeback. I’ve got to just stay positive.”

120515_S_SUvsGtown3_LoganReidsma_PE.jpg

Washington tabs Syracuse assistant Hopkins as new men's hoops head coach (union-bulletin.com; AP)

Mike Hopkins seemed destined to become a head coach. The surprise is that it’s not happening at Syracuse.

He was hired Sunday at Washington, which moved swiftly after firing Lorenzo Romar four days earlier. Hopkins agreed to a six-year deal, with financial terms expected to be released in a few days.

Hopkins has been tabbed as the eventual replacement for Jim Boeheim at Syracuse since 2007. Two years ago, Syracuse put the transition plan in writing, announcing Hopkins would take over after the 2017-18 season. Hopkins also served as interim head coach during a stretch of the 2015-16 season while Boeheim was suspended.

ACC proves it was overrated (ESPN; Goodman)

There were those who deemed it in a class of its own, capable of breaking the Big East record of 11 teams that earned invites to the 2011 NCAA tournament. There was a loaded Duke team, and several others that were considered capable of reaching to sport's pinnacle -- the Final Four.

Power at the top, depth in the middle and even the bottom had improved. There was oodles and oodles of talent, highlighted by a trio of guys -- Duke's Jayson Tatum, NC State's Dennis Smith and Florida State's Jonathan Isaac -- pegged to be taken in the top 10 of June's NBA draft.

Now North Carolina stands all alone, and the Tar Heels should count themselves fortunate after nearly bowing out against Arkansas in the second round.

The Blue Devils never quite could get a handle on the season and it showed in their turnover-filled 88-81 loss to the Gamecocks in the second round of the NCAA tournament.

This was the Year of the ACC. Well, that was supposed to be the case.

Now, it's the Season of Disappointment for the league that was billed as all-powerful.

Duke brought back Grayson Allen and Amile Jefferson to a freshman class that compared favorably to the one that included Jahlil Okafor, Justise Winslow and Tyus Jones. There were the top two players in the country, Harry Giles and Tatum, as well as two more McDonald's All-Americans: Frank Jackson and Marques Bolden.

It’s now up to UNC to carry the ACC in basketball (SI; Jones)

The Tar Heels are the only ACC team in the Sweet 16. But even though it's a starkly different landscape than last year's NCAA tourney, the ACC still has a shot at a national title.

On Selection Sunday, John Swofford learned nine of his conference’s teams were in the NCAA tournament. They were spread across six different sites, so to catch them all he either needed a fast private jet or a good TV setup.

By Sunday night, all he needed to see the remaining ACC teams in the tournament was a ticket in Greenville.

Now the decision on where to go next weekend has been made for the ACC commissioner. It’s North Carolina in Memphis in the Sweet 16, and that’s it.

No. 1 seed North Carolina survived a scare against Arkansas Sunday night, but No. 2 Duke couldn’t fend off South Carolina as the two blue bloods stood as the last hope for the proud conference. In a rather boring NCAA tournament, most of the upset-related drama has come at the expense of the Atlantic Coast Conference.

The ACC owned last year’s NCAA tournament, going 19-7 with its seven teams and putting two squads (UNC and Syracuse) in the Final Four. It was the first time the ACC had two representatives in the Final Four since Duke and Georgia Tech in 2004. Meanwhile, the ACC in the 2017 tournament was 6-7 before Carolina and Duke took the floor Sunday night.

That Wake Forest or Virginia Tech didn’t deliver a win was unsurprising. But Virginia couldn’t break 40 against Florida. Florida State, the West’s No. 3 seed, continued its NCAA tournament lull with a 25-point loss to 11th-seeded Xavier. Second-seeded Louisville lost its 2013 title game rematch with Michigan on Sunday. And now it’s up to UNC to carry the ACC in basketball.

Other

22328833-mmmain.jpg

Floating pedal pubs turn 'barcycle' concept into party boats in Buffalo (PS; Herbert)

Want to party on a boat? Those popular Pedal Bus Party Bikes are headed to the water this summer.

The Buffalo News reports Buffalo CycleBoats will launch a "floating pedal pub" in May, allowing up to 14 patrons to drink while touring the Buffalo River, the Canalside channel and Erie Basin. As the name suggests, participants will have to pedal to power the watercraft, much like the "barcycle" you've seen in the streets of Buffalo, Syracuse and other cities.

And the boozy boating concept isn't new, either.

"I saw one of these boats when I was in Seattle and everyone was having so much fun," Buffalo CycleBoats owner Brandon Bova told the Buffalo News. "I wanted to bring one to Buffalo."

According to the newspaper, CycleBoats will be BYOB -- participants will bring their own food and beverages while the company will provide coolers, ice and plastic cups. A U.S. Coast Guard-certified master captain will be the designated driver, while another staffer will narrate a tour.

WIVB reports Buffalo Pedal Tours, which brought Pedal Bus Party Bikes to Western New York two years ago, is also launching its own beer boats this summer. Fans can book reserve a whole boat for bachelor/bachelorette parties, company outings, birthdays, anniversaries or other special occasions.

Both companies plan to start providing the floating pedal pub tours in May, each lasting between 90 minutes and 2 hours long. Some dates are already sold out; Buffalo Pedal Tours are selling whole boat reservations for $450, while Buffalo CycleBoats are $35 to $40 per person, with a discount for reserving a whole boat.

For more information, visit buffalocycleboats.com and buffalopedaltours.com.

Last edited:
Geno is no spring chicken either. He is 62, only 10 years younger than JB. Maybe he was there as a kid, watching JB and Naismith do all the work, and that is how he knows how it all went down?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom