Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
150318_SNUT_SleazeCalipari.jpg.CROP.promo-mediumlarge.jpg

Welcome to Smoke and Mirrors Day!

Deceit! Deception! Celebrate these and all other types of trickery with Smoke And Mirrors Day, the festival dedicated to the art of fraudulent cunning.

The phrase “It’s all smoke and mirrors’ refers to the way in which magicians use all manner of distraction to make sure the audience fails to see what’s really going on. The more complex the artifice, the more successfully the magician will get away with it. The most obvious example of smoke and mirrors is ‘Legalese’, that incredibly convoluted language that lawyers use to make sure that no-one else understands what’s happening. Politicians have been known to try that sort of thing too.

How best to celebrate this auspicious day? Go back to its roots! Try a bit of magic. There are lots of easy magic tricks that will amaze your friends. Or, just see how quickly you can make a piece of cake disappear!

SU News

Tyus Battle gives Syracuse basketball hope for 2017-18 season - The Juice Online (the juice; Goodman)

Thank you, Tyus Battle. Thank you for staying at Syracuse and giving me hope in the most dire of times.

Without the news that you were staying for your sophomore year, I would have to dwell on all the negatives currently plaguing the Orange Basketball World.

Instead of looking forward to your development as Syracuse’s alpha dog, I’d be dwelling on the second sub-20 win season in three years, after a streak of 17 straight 21+ win seasons.

I’d be lamenting the most losses in Coach Jim Boeheim’s history, versus imagining you average 18.5 points per game for an entire season, just as you did for the last six games of your freshman campaign.

Rather than picturing you and Taurean Thompson becoming a dynamic one-two punch, and shoring up defensively after a shaky rookie outing in the zone, I’d probably be pining for Coach Hopkins after he left to helm his own ship at the University of Washington.

Without you Tyus, I’d be solely focused on the downward spiral Syracuse Basketball seems to be in, with losses piling up, annual NCAA Tournament invitations disappearing, and a lack of depth moving forward. Next year’s team will resemble this one, with you taking the place of Tyler Lydon as the returning budding superstar surrounded by a mix-and-match of who knows what.

It didn’t go so well for Tyler, but I think you are different. I truly think you are special.

7180-nc_state_tattoos6-728x485.jpg

ACC Basketball Tattoos :: WRALSportsFan.com (wralsportsfan.com; tat gallery)

Syracuse Basketball Recruiting Update: Jordan Tucker Back In The Fold (itlh.com; Adler)

The recruiting trail for Syracuse basketball’s 2017 and 2018 classes remains a hot-button topic. We shed some light here on that here via ITLH.

The season is unfortunately over for the Syracuse basketball squad, although an abundance of activity continues to transpire on the recruiting front, both for next year’s class as well as 2018.

Jordan Tucker, one of the top remaining prospects in the 2017 class, on March 23 received a visit from head coach Jim Boeheim and assistant coach Gerry McNamara, according to 247Sports and various other media reports.

Late in 2016, the 6-7 small forward trimmed his list to Indiana and Villanova, while eliminating several programs, including SU. Tucker, a native of White Plains, N.Y., who currently attends Wheeler High School in Marietta, Ga., near Atlanta, is now reportedly considering the ‘Cuse, along with Georgia Tech, Oregon and Villanova.

It appears that the four-star wing is shying away from the Hoosiers, perhaps in part due to the recent coaching change there, with Archie Miller replacing Tom Crean.

For some time, recruiting experts on the 247Sports Web site projected that Tucker, who landed a scholarship offer from Syracuse in September of 2014, would head to Central New York, but then Boeheim & Co. seemed to back off their recruiting of him.

Other

kevin-heffernan-steve-lemme-paul-soter-jay-chandrasekhar-42eeef1c995bdc2f.jpg

Broken Lizard
From left to right: Kevin Heffernan, Steve Lemme, Paul Soter, Jay Chandrasekhar and (not pictured) Erik Stolhanske met at Colgate University in 1990, and their friendship at the Central New York college led them to form the Broken Lizard comedy troupe. Together, they've made the movies 'Puddle Cruiser,' 'Super Troopers,' 'Beerfest,' 'Club Dread' and 'The Slammin' Salmon.'

'Super Troopers 2' star credits hard-partying shenanigans at CNY college for success (PS)

'Super Troopers 2' star credits hard-partying shenanigans at Colgate University

Jay Chandrasekhar directed, co-wrote and stars in "Super Troopers 2," the upcoming sequel to the 2001 comedy "Super Troopers." He made the original film with the Broken Lizard comedy troupe, which Chandrasekhar formed with friends at Colgate University while a student at the Hamilton, N.Y. school.

150318_SNUT_SleazeCalipari.jpg.CROP.promo-mediumlarge.jpg

Welcome to Smoke and Mirrors Day!

Deceit! Deception! Celebrate these and all other types of trickery with Smoke And Mirrors Day, the festival dedicated to the art of fraudulent cunning.

The phrase “It’s all smoke and mirrors’ refers to the way in which magicians use all manner of distraction to make sure the audience fails to see what’s really going on. The more complex the artifice, the more successfully the magician will get away with it. The most obvious example of smoke and mirrors is ‘Legalese’, that incredibly convoluted language that lawyers use to make sure that no-one else understands what’s happening. Politicians have been known to try that sort of thing too.

How best to celebrate this auspicious day? Go back to its roots! Try a bit of magic. There are lots of easy magic tricks that will amaze your friends. Or, just see how quickly you can make a piece of cake disappear!

SU News

Tyus Battle gives Syracuse basketball hope for 2017-18 season - The Juice Online (the juice; Goodman)

Thank you, Tyus Battle. Thank you for staying at Syracuse and giving me hope in the most dire of times.

Without the news that you were staying for your sophomore year, I would have to dwell on all the negatives currently plaguing the Orange Basketball World.

Instead of looking forward to your development as Syracuse’s alpha dog, I’d be dwelling on the second sub-20 win season in three years, after a streak of 17 straight 21+ win seasons.

I’d be lamenting the most losses in Coach Jim Boeheim’s history, versus imagining you average 18.5 points per game for an entire season, just as you did for the last six games of your freshman campaign.

Rather than picturing you and Taurean Thompson becoming a dynamic one-two punch, and shoring up defensively after a shaky rookie outing in the zone, I’d probably be pining for Coach Hopkins after he left to helm his own ship at the University of Washington.

Without you Tyus, I’d be solely focused on the downward spiral Syracuse Basketball seems to be in, with losses piling up, annual NCAA Tournament invitations disappearing, and a lack of depth moving forward. Next year’s team will resemble this one, with you taking the place of Tyler Lydon as the returning budding superstar surrounded by a mix-and-match of who knows what.

It didn’t go so well for Tyler, but I think you are different. I truly think you are special.

7180-nc_state_tattoos6-728x485.jpg

ACC Basketball Tattoos :: WRALSportsFan.com (wralsportsfan.com; tat gallery)

Syracuse Basketball Recruiting Update: Jordan Tucker Back In The Fold (itlh.com; Adler)

The recruiting trail for Syracuse basketball’s 2017 and 2018 classes remains a hot-button topic. We shed some light here on that here via ITLH.

The season is unfortunately over for the Syracuse basketball squad, although an abundance of activity continues to transpire on the recruiting front, both for next year’s class as well as 2018.

Jordan Tucker, one of the top remaining prospects in the 2017 class, on March 23 received a visit from head coach Jim Boeheim and assistant coach Gerry McNamara, according to No links to allowed on this site and various other media reports.

Late in 2016, the 6-7 small forward trimmed his list to Indiana and Villanova, while eliminating several programs, including SU. Tucker, a native of White Plains, N.Y., who currently attends Wheeler High School in Marietta, Ga., near Atlanta, is now reportedly considering the ‘Cuse, along with Georgia Tech, Oregon and Villanova.

It appears that the four-star wing is shying away from the Hoosiers, perhaps in part due to the recent coaching change there, with Archie Miller replacing Tom Crean.

For some time, recruiting experts on the No links to allowed on this site Web site projected that Tucker, who landed a scholarship offer from Syracuse in September of 2014, would head to Central New York, but then Boeheim & Co. seemed to back off their recruiting of him.

Other

kevin-heffernan-steve-lemme-paul-soter-jay-chandrasekhar-42eeef1c995bdc2f.jpg

Broken Lizard
From left to right: Kevin Heffernan, Steve Lemme, Paul Soter, Jay Chandrasekhar and (not pictured) Erik Stolhanske met at Colgate University in 1990, and their friendship at the Central New York college led them to form the Broken Lizard comedy troupe. Together, they've made the movies 'Puddle Cruiser,' 'Super Troopers,' 'Beerfest,' 'Club Dread' and 'The Slammin' Salmon.'

'Super Troopers 2' star credits hard-partying shenanigans at CNY college for success (PS)

'Super Troopers 2' star credits hard-partying shenanigans at Colgate University

Jay Chandrasekhar directed, co-wrote and stars in "Super Troopers 2," the upcoming sequel to the 2001 comedy "Super Troopers." He made the original film with the Broken Lizard comedy troupe, which Chandrasekhar formed with friends at Colgate University while a student at the Hamilton, N.Y. school.
Doug Heffernan's brother?

What, no Rutgers? :p

Pretty amazing that Llvll has only been AP #1 for 2 weeks in the entire history of the poll? :noidea:
That's Clempson-level disrespekt. ;)
MCW and co. were to thank for shortening one of those stays atop the board. :cool:

We've had 17 weeks at #1, Zona w 37.
Cinci with 45 - I'd imagine most of that was courtesy of the Big O.

Edited to add:
Here are some surprisingly LOW #'s for weeks at #1 in program history:
Maryland - 0
Marquette - 3 (all in the 70's)
Iowa - 1
Purdue - 0
Notre Dame - 5
Georgetown - 12 (woulda thought this would be more, during the "Hoya Paranoia" era)
Sparty - 11
Oklahoma - 8

Last edited:
What, no Rutgers? :p

Pretty amazing that Llvll has only been AP #1 for 2 weeks in the entire history of the poll? :noidea:
That's Clempson-level disrespekt. ;)
MCW and co. were to thank for shortening one of those stays atop the board. :cool:

We've had 17 weeks at #1, Zona w 37.
Cinci with 45 - imagine most of that was courtesy of the Big O.

Edited to add:
Here are some surprisingly LOW #'s for weeks at #1 in program history:
Maryland - 0
Marquette - 3 (all in the 70's)
Iowa - 1
Purdue - 0
Notre Dame - 5
Georgetown - 12 (woulda thought this would be more, during the "Hoya Paranoia" era)
Sparty - 11
Oklahoma - 8
Actually, no. The Bearcats won back-to-back championships in '61 & '62, and lost in the final in '63. They were #1 for extended periods in the latter two years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom