Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Polka%2521.jpg

Welcome to National Polka Day!

Polka is a form of dance that involves a series of peppy and quick steps, done along with a partner. The music for the dance is rocking accordion style music. This fast-paced duet dance form is said to have originated in the 1800s in Bohemia. It is also said that a girl named Anna Slezak was the one who invented this dance in the year 1834. The dance then gained popularity in ballrooms around the world. The dance is a series of triple steps performed to the tune of polka music played on the accordion. The dance is great fun and a rigorous exercise too.

SU News

Syracuse recruiting target Nate Roberts sets up 4 official visits (PS; Waters)

Nate Roberts, a 6-foot-11 senior at Brewster (N.H.) Academy, has set up four official campus visits and Syracuse is on his itinerary.

Julius Kim of ElevateHoops.com broke the news. Roberts then released the schedule of visits on his Twitter page.

#A2L [?] pic.twitter.com/ijUoqlvYy7

-- #longlivepops[?] (@nateupnext) August 9, 2017

Roberts will visit Syracuse on the weekend of Sept. 22-24. The first of his visits will be to the University of Washington on Sept. 1-3. Former Syracuse assistant Mike Hopkins is now the head coach at Washington.

Roberts also set up visits to Wake Forest and Nebraska. He will visit Nebraska on Sept. 16-18 and Wake Forest on Sept. 29 to Oct. 1.

Connecticut, the fifth school on Roberts' list of finalists, is listed as To Be Announced.

Roberts is originally from Baltimore. He isn't ranked among the top 100 players for the 2018 class, but the rankings likely haven't caught up with his growth over the past year. He has sprouted from 6-8 to 6-11 in just over a year.

598a2acea6aec.image.jpg

Syracuse's Dajuan Coleman takes part in local basketball camp (auburnpub.com; Ritzel)

“I miss basketball.”

It was a simple reason for why Michael Picciano, a former basketball coach at Tyburn Academy, organized a day of instruction Tuesday at Cayuga Community College.

The camp, designated for boys and girls grades six through 12, featured a handful of former college players that included Syracuse men’s basketball’s Dajuan Coleman.

Coleman, along with other local players like Trent Ward (played at Auburn High School and SUNY Morrisville), Matt Faiola (1,000-point scorer at Tyburn) and Stan Martin (SUNY Broome’s career assist record holder) took time to teach different aspects of the game.

Most of the focus was placed on shooting — half of the drills were dedicated to it — while others leaned on defensive position and ballhandling.

Picciano, who has spent recent years coaching in CYO, was intent on improving shooting fundamentals for local youth players.

“What I’ve seen is that the fundamentals of shooting didn’t seem to really be there,” Picciano said. “It was very frustrating. I’d love to focus on that. We did this a few years ago and had (former Syracuse player) Demetris Nichols here. The one thing he told us is to work on your form every day. Every kid wants to come out and start chucking 3-pointers. We tell them to get in close, work on your form and we give them some tools.”

23197759-mmmain.jpg

Two 'brothers' of former Syracuse basketball player generating D-I interest (PS; Waters)

Terrence Roberts has known Brandon and Ryan Wade since they were little. Although not related, Roberts is like a big brother or cool young uncle to the promising pair of Division I basketball players.

The Wades are the younger brothers of former Syracuse track athlete Briana Wade. She and Roberts started dating when they were both at Syracuse University. They have two children together and live in the Ann Arbor, Mich., area.

Roberts thinks of Brandon and Ryan as brothers.

"Technically, we're not related, but we're as close as can be,'' said Roberts, who played at Syracuse from 2003 to 2007. "Briana's their sister. They're like my brothers.''

Now, as the two enter their senior and junior years at Skyline High School in Ann Arbor, Mich., they are receiving more and more scholarship offers from Division I schools.

Other

23198940-mmmain.jpg

Liverpool cafe, bakery closes due to 'unresolvable circumstances' (PS; Doran)

Cups-n-Cakes Bakery, which opened in October 2016 at 500 Old Liverpool Road, has closed, according to the owners.

The bakery and lunch cafe, which was in the strip plaza at 500 Old Liverpool Road, specialized in nut-free baked goods, including pies, cookies and cakes. The cafe also served sandwiches and soups for lunch.

Owner Debbie Russell and her daughter, Tracy Propheter, opened the shop.

In a Facebook post, the pair announced that the bakery would close July 31 due to "unresolvable circumstances."

"It was definitely not one of my easier decisions,'' the post said.

The owners did not elaborate.

The owners could not be reached for comment.