Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
1024px-Into_the_Jaws_of_Death_23-0455M_edit.jpg
Welcome to D-Day!

“I have full confidence in your courage and devotion to duty and skill in battle.” – General Dwight D. Eisenhower, in a message to troops before D-Day.

Courage. Devotion. Duty.

They are the words most often used to describe the brave — to add another adjective — Allied troops who landed on Normandy 74 years ago and helped win World War II.

Not to be forgotten, though, is this word: Technology.

World War II was won not just with courage, devotion and duty, but with American and British technological advances that gave Allied troops the upper hand in many facets of battle.

The most famous and fearsome: the Manhattan Project atomic bombs that led to the surrender of the Japanese in 1945. But there were many others.

D-Day: How American and British technology helped win the battle and World War II

SU News

Syracuse Basketball: Oshae Brissett, RJ Barrett will put Canada on the map (itlh.com; Weisleder)

Syracuse Basketball’s Oshae Brissett will play against Duke’s RJ Barrett twice during ACC Play in 2019. Expect the two Canadians to put Canada on the map.

The 2017-18 season quickly went from a debacle to a spectacle for Syracuse Basketball. Led by Canadian forward Oshae Brissett, this team did the impossible against all odds.

After winning just two of their first six games in conference play, many college basketball analysts quickly dismissed Syracuse’s chances of making the NCAA Tournament. Two months later, after a miraculous turnaround, the Orange squeezed into the tourney and exited it far later than most expected.

This coming season, Brissett won’t be the only Canadian stud in college, as another superstar born north of the border, RJ Barrett, will be a prominent fixture in a matter of months. In many respects, Canadian dominance in the NCAA is at an all-time high and is showing no signs of slowing down.

For Brissett, a four-star recruit out of Athlete Institute Basketball Academy, all expectations were exceeded in his first season under Hall of Fame coach Jim Boeheim. The 19-year-old averaged 15 points, nine rebounds, and anchored a Syracuse team that was never supposed to smell Tournament success. After an unexpected plunge into NCAA stardom during his first season wearing Orange, Brissett was named to the ACC’s All-Freshman Team.

gettyimages-930577438.jpg

Syracuse Basketball: Andrew White reminisces about his days at Syracuse (itlh.com; Esden Jr)

Former Syracuse basketball star Andrew White joined Boy Green on ‘Drive Time Sports’ to reminisce about the good ole days at SU.
While Andrew White only had one season with the Syracuse basketball team, it’ll be one remembered forever. AW3 scored over 18 points a game, was automatic from the charity stripe (84%), and had one of the best three point shooting seasons ever.

Not too bad for one season with the team. Especially when you consider how many legends have come through the University of Syracuse.

Well to reminisce a bit about the good old days and talk about his youth basketball camp coming up at the end of June, AW3 joined Boy Green on ‘Drive Time Sports’ to talk about why he chose the Orange, the pressure of being a grad-transfer, and his proudest moment with the Cuse:

So why did Andrew White ultimately pick Syracuse?

“I talked to coach (Jim) Boeheim while he was at the Olympics for most of the recruiting process. He basically just gave me an opportunity that was hard to turn down. He likes shooters, he likes wings with length and athleticism. I think just based off of the roster he had, it would’ve been a golden opportunity. It was everything I expected and they did a wonderful job of grooming my skills. They just put me on a platform for where I ultimately wanted to be. So I’ll always be thankful for the coaches, the staff, and everyone for getting me ready for my pro career.”

Syracuse's Jim Boeheim isn't the only Hall of Fame coach to face sanctions (baltimoresun.com; video)

Being in a club with Larry Brown and Jim Calhoun is usually pretty special, but not for Jim Boeheim. Find out why Friday's sanction put the Syracuse coach in select company.

Independent Investigation clears Georgia Tech's Josh Pastner of sexual assault claims - ACCSports.com (accsports.com; Geisinger)

Georgia Tech men’s basketball coach Josh Pastner has been cleared of allegations over sexual misconduct by an independent investigation.

New Orleans attorney Scott D. Schneider of Fisher & Phillips conducted the investigation, and found the allegations to be false. According to the report, Pastner was the target of an extortion scheme from former booster and friend Ron Bell and his girlfriend, Jennifer Pendley.

“None of the allegations of sexual misconduct against Josh Pastner are credible. It is highly likely that the allegations of sexual misconduct against Pastner were concocted by Bell, made in bad faith, and asserted only after various other attempts to damage and/or extort Pastner failed.”
The relationship between Pastner and Bell goes back well over a decade; however, that relationship started to slide over the last year or so — going back to Pastner’s arrival at Georgia Tech.

A Cool ACC Documentary (dukebasketballreport.com; King)

Well this should be interesting, especially for Virginia fans: the ACC has a documentary on ESPNU about the 2018 ACC Tournament.

In retrospect, it was the peak of Virginia’s season. Who could have ever believed that six days later, and a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament, their season would end in epic fashion at the hands of mighty UMBC?

If you missed it on the 5th (we did) it’s airing twice on Wednesday the 6th and Saturday the 9th. Hit the link for times.

Bracketology with Joe Lunardi (espn; Lundari)

MIDWEST
Des Moines

1KANSAS
16LEHIGH / 16NORTH CAROLINA CENTRAL

8Louisville
9Nebraska

Tulsa, Okla.

5Butler
12BUFFALO

4Syracuse
13STEPHEN F. AUSTIN

Hartford, Conn.

6Texas Tech
11LOYOLA (CHI)

3Virginia Tech
14PENNSYLVANIA

Des Moines

7Florida
10Arizona

2MICHIGAN ST
UC DAVIS

usa_today_10670323.0.jpg

East Coast Bias: Gut-reaction to Maryland, Rutgers, and Penn State’s Big Ten-ACC Challenge opponents (btpowerhouse.com; Leisure)

With the release of the Big Ten-ACC Challenge schedule for next year, we finally have some actual games to talk about in anticipation for the upcoming season.

As such, I thought it would be fun to take a break from my weekly breakdown of the news surrounding Penn State, Rutgers, and Maryland hoops for my initial reaction on the ACC foes the three will see come November.

Penn State home to Virginia Tech
On paper, this could be a nice little RPI and resume builder for a Penn State team that fancies itself an NCAA Tournament contender.

Both Jon Rothstein of FRZ Sports and Sam Vecenie of The Athletic have the Hokies well inside their respective way-too-early preseason Top 25’s, and it wouldn’t be a complete shock to see head coach Buzz Williams lead Virginia Tech to a top 3 ACC finish for the first time since 2006-’07.

With the game taking place in State College, a competitive Lions team will find itself with a great opportunity for an early season non-conference marquee win.

So that’s the good news.

On the flip side, my reaction to seeing Tech listed as Penn State’s opponent garnered the following reaction: Boringggggggg.

After next season, the Lions will have competed in 18 of the 20 Big Ten-ACC Challenge’s with Clemson, Georgia Tech, Boston College, and Virginia Tech being its assigned opponent a whopping 13 times.

Other

139_0564a3f32007781d.jpg

Jerry Seinfeld, Seneca River Days: 14 things to do in CNY this weekend (PS; Pucci)

St. Sophia's Greek Culture Festival
This four-day annual festival features traditional Greek music and dancing, wine tastings and church tours, but what really draws the crowds is all the homemade food. Souvlaki, pastichio, moussaka, gyros, dolmades (stuffed grape leaves) and spanakopita are a few of the many treats that'll be for sale.
Where: St. Sophia's Church, 325 Waring Road, DeWitt.
When: Thursday, June 7, from 5 to 9 p.m.; Friday, June 8, from 5 to 10 p.m.; Saturday, June 9, from noon to 10 p.m. and Sunday, June 10, from noon to 4 p.m.
How much: Free admission. Menu prices vary.

Kenny Chesney
County music star Kenny Chesney is bringing his "Trip Around the Sun" tour to Central New York. Chesney, who last performed in Syracuse during the 2009 New York State Fair, released his latest album, "Live in No Shoes Nation," in October.
Where: St. Joseph's Amphitheater at Lakeview, 490 Restoration Way, Geddes.
When: Thursday, June 7 at 7:30 p.m.
How much: Tickets start at $35.

Seneca River Days
This annual festival kicks off Friday evening at Paper Mill Island local music, food trucks, a cash bar and a fireworks finale. The fun starts again Saturday morning at Mercer Park with a classic car show, vendors, pony rides, face painting, the "Anything That Floats" contest and the Great Seneca River Duck Race.
In 2017, a record 2,819 rubber ducks were sent down the Seneca River as part of the duck race.
For more information, visit baldwinsvillerotary.org.
Where: Paper Mill Island (Friday) and Mercer Park (Saturday), Baldwinsville.
When: Friday, June 8, beginning at 6 p.m. and Saturday, June 9, beginning at 10 a.m.
How much: $5 admission Friday night, free on Saturday.

Jerry Seinfeld
The comedian best known for his eponymous TV show about nothing is returning to Syracuse this weekend. Jerry Seinfeld, who attended SUNY Oswego for two years, has previously performed at the Landmark Theatre in 1992, 2005, 2013 and 2015.
Where: Landmark Theatre, 362 S. Salina St., Syracuse.
When: Friday, June 8, at 7 p.m.
How much: Tickets start at $46.

1024px-Into_the_Jaws_of_Death_23-0455M_edit.jpg
Welcome to D-Day!

“I have full confidence in your courage and devotion to duty and skill in battle.” – General Dwight D. Eisenhower, in a message to troops before D-Day.

Courage. Devotion. Duty.

They are the words most often used to describe the brave — to add another adjective — Allied troops who landed on Normandy 74 years ago and helped win World War II.

Not to be forgotten, though, is this word: Technology.

World War II was won not just with courage, devotion and duty, but with American and British technological advances that gave Allied troops the upper hand in many facets of battle.

The most famous and fearsome: the Manhattan Project atomic bombs that led to the surrender of the Japanese in 1945. But there were many others.

D-Day: How American and British technology helped win the battle and World War II

SU News

Syracuse Basketball: Oshae Brissett, RJ Barrett will put Canada on the map (itlh.com; Weisleder)

Syracuse Basketball’s Oshae Brissett will play against Duke’s RJ Barrett twice during ACC Play in 2019. Expect the two Canadians to put Canada on the map.

The 2017-18 season quickly went from a debacle to a spectacle for Syracuse Basketball. Led by Canadian forward Oshae Brissett, this team did the impossible against all odds.

After winning just two of their first six games in conference play, many college basketball analysts quickly dismissed Syracuse’s chances of making the NCAA Tournament. Two months later, after a miraculous turnaround, the Orange squeezed into the tourney and exited it far later than most expected.

This coming season, Brissett won’t be the only Canadian stud in college, as another superstar born north of the border, RJ Barrett, will be a prominent fixture in a matter of months. In many respects, Canadian dominance in the NCAA is at an all-time high and is showing no signs of slowing down.

For Brissett, a four-star recruit out of Athlete Institute Basketball Academy, all expectations were exceeded in his first season under Hall of Fame coach Jim Boeheim. The 19-year-old averaged 15 points, nine rebounds, and anchored a Syracuse team that was never supposed to smell Tournament success. After an unexpected plunge into NCAA stardom during his first season wearing Orange, Brissett was named to the ACC’s All-Freshman Team.

gettyimages-930577438.jpg

Syracuse Basketball: Andrew White reminisces about his days at Syracuse (itlh.com; Esden Jr)

Former Syracuse basketball star Andrew White joined Boy Green on ‘Drive Time Sports’ to reminisce about the good ole days at SU.
While Andrew White only had one season with the Syracuse basketball team, it’ll be one remembered forever. AW3 scored over 18 points a game, was automatic from the charity stripe (84%), and had one of the best three point shooting seasons ever.

Not too bad for one season with the team. Especially when you consider how many legends have come through the University of Syracuse.

Well to reminisce a bit about the good old days and talk about his youth basketball camp coming up at the end of June, AW3 joined Boy Green on ‘Drive Time Sports’ to talk about why he chose the Orange, the pressure of being a grad-transfer, and his proudest moment with the Cuse:

So why did Andrew White ultimately pick Syracuse?
“I talked to coach (Jim) Boeheim while he was at the Olympics for most of the recruiting process. He basically just gave me an opportunity that was hard to turn down. He likes shooters, he likes wings with length and athleticism. I think just based off of the roster he had, it would’ve been a golden opportunity. It was everything I expected and they did a wonderful job of grooming my skills. They just put me on a platform for where I ultimately wanted to be. So I’ll always be thankful for the coaches, the staff, and everyone for getting me ready for my pro career.”

Syracuse's Jim Boeheim isn't the only Hall of Fame coach to face sanctions (baltimoresun.com; video)

Being in a club with Larry Brown and Jim Calhoun is usually pretty special, but not for Jim Boeheim. Find out why Friday's sanction put the Syracuse coach in select company.

Independent Investigation clears Georgia Tech's Josh Pastner of s e xual assault claims - ACCSports.com (accsports.com; Geisinger)

Georgia Tech men’s basketball coach Josh Pastner has been cleared of allegations over s e xual misconduct by an independent investigation.

New Orleans attorney Scott D. Schneider of Fisher & Phillips conducted the investigation, and found the allegations to be false. According to the report, Pastner was the target of an extortion scheme from former booster and friend Ron Bell and his girlfriend, Jennifer Pendley.

“None of the allegations of s e xual misconduct against Josh Pastner are credible. It is highly likely that the allegations of s e xual misconduct against Pastner were concocted by Bell, made in bad faith, and asserted only after various other attempts to damage and/or extort Pastner failed.”
The relationship between Pastner and Bell goes back well over a decade; however, that relationship started to slide over the last year or so — going back to Pastner’s arrival at Georgia Tech.

A Cool ACC Documentary (dukebasketballreport.com; King)

Well this should be interesting, especially for Virginia fans: the ACC has a documentary on ESPNU about the 2018 ACC Tournament.

In retrospect, it was the peak of Virginia’s season. Who could have ever believed that six days later, and a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament, their season would end in epic fashion at the hands of mighty UMBC?

If you missed it on the 5th (we did) it’s airing twice on Wednesday the 6th and Saturday the 9th. Hit the link for times.

Bracketology with Joe Lunardi (espn; Lundari)

MIDWEST
Des Moines

1KANSAS
16LEHIGH / 16NORTH CAROLINA CENTRAL

8Louisville
9Nebraska

Tulsa, Okla.

5Butler
12BUFFALO

4Syracuse
13STEPHEN . AUSTIN

Hartford, Conn.

6Texas Tech
11LOYOLA (CHI)

3Virginia Tech
14PENNSYLVANIA

Des Moines

7Florida
10Arizona

2MICHIGAN ST
UC DAVIS

usa_today_10670323.0.jpg

East Coast Bias: Gut-reaction to Maryland, Rutgers, and Penn State’s Big Ten-ACC Challenge opponents (btpowerhouse.com; Leisure)

With the release of the Big Ten-ACC Challenge schedule for next year, we finally have some actual games to talk about in anticipation for the upcoming season.

As such, I thought it would be fun to take a break from my weekly breakdown of the news surrounding Penn State, Rutgers, and Maryland hoops for my initial reaction on the ACC foes the three will see come November.

Penn State home to Virginia Tech
On paper, this could be a nice little RPI and resume builder for a Penn State team that fancies itself an NCAA Tournament contender.

Both Jon Rothstein of FRZ Sports and Sam Vecenie of The Athletic have the Hokies well inside their respective way-too-early preseason Top 25’s, and it wouldn’t be a complete shock to see head coach Buzz Williams lead Virginia Tech to a top 3 ACC finish for the first time since 2006-’07.

With the game taking place in State College, a competitive Lions team will find itself with a great opportunity for an early season non-conference marquee win.

So that’s the good news.

On the flip side, my reaction to seeing Tech listed as Penn State’s opponent garnered the following reaction: Boringggggggg.

After next season, the Lions will have competed in 18 of the 20 Big Ten-ACC Challenge’s with Clemson, Georgia Tech, Boston College, and Virginia Tech being its assigned opponent a whopping 13 times.

Other

139_0564a3f32007781d.jpg

Jerry Seinfeld, Seneca River Days: 14 things to do in CNY this weekend (PS; Pucci)

St. Sophia's Greek Culture Festival
This four-day annual festival features traditional Greek music and dancing, wine tastings and church tours, but what really draws the crowds is all the homemade food. Souvlaki, pastichio, moussaka, gyros, dolmades (stuffed grape leaves) and spanakopita are a few of the many treats that'll be for sale.
Where: St. Sophia's Church, 325 Waring Road, DeWitt.
When: Thursday, June 7, from 5 to 9 p.m.; Friday, June 8, from 5 to 10 p.m.; Saturday, June 9, from noon to 10 p.m. and Sunday, June 10, from noon to 4 p.m.
How much: Free admission. Menu prices vary.

Kenny Chesney
County music star Kenny Chesney is bringing his "Trip Around the Sun" tour to Central New York. Chesney, who last performed in Syracuse during the 2009 New York State Fair, released his latest album, "Live in No Shoes Nation," in October.
Where: St. Joseph's Amphitheater at Lakeview, 490 Restoration Way, Geddes.
When: Thursday, June 7 at 7:30 p.m.
How much: Tickets start at $35.

Seneca River Days
This annual festival kicks off Friday evening at Paper Mill Island local music, food trucks, a cash bar and a fireworks finale. The fun starts again Saturday morning at Mercer Park with a classic car show, vendors, pony rides, face painting, the "Anything That Floats" contest and the Great Seneca River Duck Race.
In 2017, a record 2,819 rubber ducks were sent down the Seneca River as part of the duck race.
For more information, visit baldwinsvillerotary.org.
Where: Paper Mill Island (Friday) and Mercer Park (Saturday), Baldwinsville.
When: Friday, June 8, beginning at 6 p.m. and Saturday, June 9, beginning at 10 a.m.
How much: $5 admission Friday night, free on Saturday.

Jerry Seinfeld
The comedian best known for his eponymous TV show about nothing is returning to Syracuse this weekend. Jerry Seinfeld, who attended SUNY Oswego for two years, has previously performed at the Landmark Theatre in 1992, 2005, 2013 and 2015.
Where: Landmark Theatre, 362 S. Salina St., Syracuse.
When: Friday, June 8, at 7 p.m.
How much: Tickets start at $46.

This is why allegations of this nature must always be looked at with a jaundice eye.
Some folks on here, as I recall, had Pastner all but guilty and gone.