Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
AP17287124821123
Welcome to National Handshake Day!

The last Thursday of each June, people across the nation observe National Handshake Day.

Of all the various forms of greeting, the handshake is perhaps one of the most ancient.

The origin of the handshake is hard to pinpoint. As it is a non-verbal mode of communication, it may have existed before written records. Theories suggest it was a way for medieval knights, Roman soldiers and other weapon carrying men to check for hidden daggers by grasping each other’s forearms in greeting.

Archaeological ruins in ancient Greece support this theory. The funerary stele depicts two soldiers shaking hands and dates back to 5th century BC.

SU News

Tyler Lydon ready for Summer League after he feared worst: 'My career is done' (PS; Ditota)

Sue Lydon was watching the game on TV when it happened. She saw her son, Tyler, plant his left leg while trying to take his man off the dribble. And then suddenly, he was hopping off the basketball court and disappearing into the recesses of the arena.

She figured he maybe rolled his ankle. But when time kept ticking down and he did not reappear, she reconsidered. Then, she got the phone call.

"He's in tears and he's like 'I'm done, my career is done. I can't even straighten my leg,'" she remembered. "It was really scary. This was his dream."

Tyler Lydon, the former Syracuse forward, was mere months into his professional basketball career when a ligament in his left knee twisted beneath his kneecap during a routine play, he said. He felt a pop. And when his leg refused to straighten, he knew something serious had transpired.

Syracuse Basketball getting 12-1 odds to reach 2019 Final Four (itlh.com; Adler)

Some fun speculation to peruse, as one of the most-esteemed sports books has unveiled its odds for college-basketball squads to reach the 2019 Final Four.

I’m not a huge betting man myself, but when odds-makers dole out their data, it always makes for an interesting review. Particularly when it pertains to collegiate hoops.

To that end, the Westgate Las Vegas SuperBook has released its odds for a boatload of outfits to advance to the 2019 Final Four, and I figured we should share the highlights here.

First and foremost, our beloved Orange basketball bunch is slotted at 12-1. Now, again, I’m not big into gambling, but these seem like fairly “reasonable” odds, given that Syracuse returns all five of its starters in 2018-19, will have much improved bench depth, and should prove a more dangerous offensive crew.

If I counted things correctly, SU is in a tie with Purdue and Tennessee for the 18th-best odds to secure a spot in the national semi-finals.

220px-Jerami_Grant_dunking_cropped.jpg

Ranking Syracuse basketball's current NBA players - The Juice Online (the juice; Irvine)

Last week was the NBA Draft, and for the first time since 2011 and just the fifth since 2000 a Syracuse player did not hear his name called.

This was no surprise. After Tyus Battle decided to return to school, no Orange players were declared for the draft.

So let’s turn our attention to the 10 former Orange stars currently (or recently) under NBA contract. As we head toward the 2018-2019 NBA season, here’s how I would rank them.

1. Jerami Grant – It may be surprising to not see Grant’s OKC teammate Carmelo Anthony atop this list, but the choice of Grant at No. 1 is not solely based on Anthony’s disappointing season with the Thunder. Grant has earned the spot.

Those who watched the Thunder regularly noticed how Grant would regularly outplay Anthony. This was highlighted in the playoffs as Grant sparked a 25-point comeback against the Jazz in Game 5 with Anthony on the bench.

Grant led all Syracuse players in both win shares (5.4) and player efficiency rating (16.2) last season. Now he enters unrestricted free agency as a coveted two-way player who can play multiple positions. He will likely earn a mid-level exception contract in the realm of $8 million next season, and OKC may not be able to bring him back due to a tight salary cap made even tighter with Anthony opting into his $28 million option for next year.

ACC network is a year away from launching, but its challenges are clear (pilotonline.com; Teel)

Athletic director Warde Manuel told Michigan’s Board of Regents last week that his department’s share of Big Ten revenue was $51.1 million in 2017-18 and was projected at $52.1 million for 2018-19.

In its most recent federal tax filing, the ACC reported that the average distribution to its schools in 2016-17 was $26.6 million – a little more than half the Big Ten’s haul. Two points about the striking contrast:

First, neither the ACC nor its members have revealed their 2017-18 shares. Moreover, no one has projected 2018-19 numbers.

Second, sports isn’t Monopoly. A more modest pile of cash – none of the Power Five conferences is impoverished – hasn’t prevented ACC teams from thriving nationally in football, men’s basketball and the Olympic sports.

But Manuel’s presentation to Michigan’s board, plus the Southeastern Conference’s average distribution of $40.9 million in 2016-17, reaffirms that the ACC needs its impending cable channel to generate considerable revenue.

A partnership with ESPN, the ACC Network is scheduled to launch in August 2019, its earnings potential the subject of rampant speculation and, among athletic directors, much anticipation.

Other

103_redsun13.jpeg

Red Sun Fire Roasting Co. in Oswego: Starters, desserts burn bright (Dining out review) (PS; Paventi)

Corn fritters are one of our favorite Southern foods and their appearance on The Red Sun Fire Roasting Company'smenu was a welcome surprise. The soft, doughy fritters are not often found in our region and we eagerly anticipated their arrival.

The Red Sun's version ($6) utilized basil in the corn dough before frying. Pillowy and warm, the fritters had the consistency of the fried dough found at the New York State Fair as opposed to hush puppies. The earthy basil provided balance to the subtle, sweet corn. The accompanying lemon-basil aioli provided a citrus acidity, creating a first-rate starter.

It was one of two standout first courses. The stretched bread appetizer ($9) featured a fresh baked soft bread marked with balsamic vinegar and served alongside a cheddar beer sauce. The sweetness and acidity of the vinegar added depth to the bread. The salty cheese dip was a sweet and salty companion that complemented well.