Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
columbusday-300x225.gif

Welcome to Columbus Day/Indigenous People's Day!

By now, you probably know Christopher Columbus didn't discover America. He wasn't even the first European to do it.

Somehow, the 15th-century Italian explorer still got his own national holiday. But more cities and states are scrapping Columbus Day to honor the people who were here first -- and who suffered greatly after Columbus' arrival.
Just this year, at least a dozen US cities -- including San Francisco and Cincinnati -- decided to stop observing Columbus Day and will instead celebrate Indigenous Peoples Day on Monday.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/08/us/columbus-day-vs-indigenous-peoples-day/index.html

SU News

1-15.jpg

Joe Girard III plans to make college decision this week (DO; Dabbundo)

Joseph Girard III’s college search has entered the final week.

On Thursday, Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim and assistant Gerry McNamara traveled to Glens Falls to give a final pitch to Girard III. They arrived Thursday afternoon, watched the end of Girard III’s football practice and then sat down with the basketball recruit and his parents.

They sat around a table, where Girard III asked questions about his fit in the program and what their plans for him are. He said that McNamara highlighted Syracuse’s ability to develop combo guards, like McNamara himself, who was a four-year starter at SU from 2002-06.

Thursday’s visit was McNamara’s second to Glens Falls in six days. He also attended Girard III’s senior night on Sept. 28.

Girard III, the all-time leading scorer in New York state high school basketball history, has been a five-year varsity starter at Glens Falls.

He first received interest in the eighth grade, when he scored 31 points and hit a game-winning shot in his first high school game against Fonda. Girard III announced he’d received an offer from Syracuse on Feb. 2. And SU isn’t the only school closely following Girard III.

IU basketball big man target Isaiah Stewart gets intriguing recruiting pitch (indystar.com; Jordan)

La Lumiere forward Isaiah Stewart knows that at some point in the future he’ll have to chart his course away from the basketball court and onto his next phase of life.

“I could see myself working in some sort of front office or something like that,” said Stewart, the No. 3 overall player in USA Today Sports’ Chosen 25 for 2019.

When that time comes, he’ll have some much-needed, on-the-job experience as a general manager thanks to one of the college coaches in his top seven. Sort of, anyway.

“I had a coach tell me that I could pick the players they recruit to come and play with me,” Stewart said. “I’ve heard a lot of coaches say a lot of things, but that was different.”

Stewart wouldn’t dish on which coach gave him the proverbial keys to the car, but Indiana, Washington, Syracuse, Duke, Kentucky, Villanova and Michigan State round out his top seven schools.

“That’s flattering for the recruit and it’s obviously said to influence the decision,” ESPN recruiting director Paul Biancardi said. “It’s creative as long as it’s kept in perspective because there are no guarantees that the school can get who he wants. Coaches are very aware of who kids want to play with and when you’re at that level, it’s likely that the coach is already recruiting most of the kids he wants anyway.”

Syracuse Basketball: Fan Appreciation Weekend is unveiled (itlh.com; Adler)

We’ve got some really fun news to share here, as the Syracuse basketball programs will hold a fan appreciation weekend in the near future.

Who wants to take a selfie with SU hoops legend Jim Boeheim?

I do, I do.

I’m not even kidding around with this! That’s because the Syracuse University athletics department on Wednesday announced its basketball fan appreciation weekend from the Carrier Dome.

According to a press release, the men’s squad will hold an event on Friday, Oct. 12, followed by the women’s team on Sunday, Oct. 14. Admission to both of these activities is free, says the announcement posted on cuse.com.

Boeheim and his guys, who are coming off a juicy Sweet 16 run in the Big Dance this past March, will put on the Orange vs. White game.

People At The ‘Ville Are Bound To Be Ill Over Adidas Trial Revelations (dukebasketballreport.com; King)

It’s been hard to keep up with every aspect of the Adidas trial but it’s been pretty devastating for Louisville. Check out the testimony against former Rick Pitino assistants Kenny Johnson and Jordan Fair.

Ex-Louisville coaches accused of directly paying basketball recruits

It’s not a huge deal legally even if any charges stick; a total of $2,200 is just not likely to wind anyone up.

The NCAA is not likely to be as sanguine about it. Louisville is likely to pay a heavy price when all of this is said and done.

Blue Devils To The 2019 2K Empire Classic? (dukebasketballreport.com; King)

It hasn’t been announced yet but looks like Duke will be in the 2K Empire Classic.

The other teams, according to Jon Rothstein will be Texas, Georgetown and Cal.

There are some conditionals here. First, Texas has been mentioned in the Adidas case so who knows what that might mean for the future of the Longhorns. Second, Cal is in a rebuilding phase. And third that might mean a game against and Omer Yurtseven and, quite possibly, the YouTube sensation Mac McClung, the dunkingest littlest white kid we’ve ever seen. He’s really fun to watch but probably not as much fun to guard.

Still, it could be a good field and worth a trip if you like college basketball.

Look Out World, Here Comes Pitt Basketball (dukebasketballreport.com. King)

It looks like Jeff Capel learned a thing or two at Duke about social media as we see in this amazing hype video from Pitt basketball.

It’s extremely cool and as a side benefit, it shows that Pitt basketball is under new and very different management.

Well done.

ACCBR #35: I Ain't Talking About The Trial ACC Basketball Report podcast (player.fm; podcast; Peacone)

Today I hit the recruiting rundown and Duke's recruiting woes. I release my ACCBR All Americans and talk about the #10 team in the 2018-19 projected standings. I also give away an ACCBR Hoodie.

Washington Basketball: What makes the Huskies a Pac-12 contender? (bustiingbrackets.com; Harkins)

Washington basketball has a ton of talent returning from last season. With this being said, just how successful will the Huskies be in 2018-19?

Washington basketball projects as one of the most interesting teams in all of college basketball last season. After missing the NCAA Tournament a year ago due to dismal advanced metric rankings, the Huskies bring back just about every major contributor for this upcoming campaign. This includes several double-digit scorers per game and one of the best defensive players in the entire country. With this being said, many are projecting that Washington will compete for the Pac-12 title this season.

Strictly from a competition point of view, the Pac-12 looks quite open at the top this year. For the most part, this is due to the idea that Arizona, one of the conference’s powerhouse teams for the past few years, is expected to experience a down season for the first time in what feels like forever. Additionally, it seems as though there are several teams who have the potential to be top-25 teams this year, including Washington.

As the season draws closer, many are projecting that Oregon is the preseason favorite to win the conference. And while this certainly might be the case, Washington has a more experienced roster on the whole and could use this to their advantage throughout the year. There are several important factors that go into winning a conference title and the Huskies hit on quite a few of those. With this being said, let’s dive into three major reasons why Washington *might* compete for the regular season title.

C.O.-Bemies-Geneva.jpeg

What we know about the first college basketball game ever played | NCAA.com (ncaa.com; Wilco)

It seems like a simple question: When was the first-ever college basketball game?

Answering that is quite a bit more complicated. Both Geneva College and Vanderbilt University claim the first-ever basketball game by a college team, both in 1893, while Hamline and Minnesota A&M played in the first intercollegiate game together in 1895.

But let’s get into more detail. And what better place to start the search than at the source?

In his book “Basketball: Its Origin and Development,” Dr. James Naismith addresses the question:

“Geneva College, in Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania, and the University of Iowa both played basketball in the season of 1892. Which of these two colleges may claim the first game, I do not know. Mr. C.O. Beamis [sic], a Springfield boy, had gone to Geneva College as physical director. Beamis had seen the game played in the Training School gymnasium while he was home on a vacation. He realized that it might solve the need of a winter activity in his school. I told him of the success we had and explained to him the fundamentals of the game. On his return to Beaver Falls, he started the game in Geneva College; it is my belief therefore, that this college was the first to play basketball.”

In February of 1892, an article in the Geneva school newspaper refers to basketball by a unique moniker: “Football in the Gym is a popular mode of exercise at present. Some sever knocks are received, but in the excitement, they are of course not noticed.

A year later, in 1893, another article was published: “New Brighton played a game of basket foot ball on the Geneva, Saturday night April 8th. The score was 3 goals to 0 in favor of Geneva.”

And for a while, that was that. Geneva still claims itself as the birthplace of college basketball.

RELATED: We examined the oldest box score available from NCAA tournament history

But in 2008, Bill Traughber, a historian at Vanderbilt offered a different origin story.

Traughber found a fascinating story from the Feb. 7, 1893 edition of Nashville’s newspaper, the Daily American:

BASKET BALL
Teams From Vanderbilt and the Y.M.C.A. to Meet Tonight

"The new game known as basket ball which has been recently introduced into gymnasiums throughout the United States has gained a large following. Its advent in Nashville was marked with an enthusiastic reception. The game is very much like foot ball with much of the roughness eliminated, and instead of keeping the ball down it is kept up. To-night at 8 o'clock in the gymnasium of the Young Men's Christian Association the public will have an opportunity of witnessing a spirited contest in basket ball between teams from Vanderbilt and the association. The two teams are well trained and an exciting game will be played. The public is invited to witness the contest. Seats will be placed on the running track for ladies, who are especially urged to be present."

The college basketball teams with the longest active road winning streaks | NCAA.com (ncaa.com; Wittry)

Virginia – 9 wins

Even though the aforementioned UMBC Retrievers handed Virginia a historic loss in the NCAA tournament, the Cavaliers were arguably the best team in the country prior to that 16-over-1 upset.

UVA went 31-2 prior to facing UMBC, sweeping the ACC regular-season and tournament titles and winning every road game on its schedule other than a trip to Morgantown, West Virginia, to face the Mountaineers.

The most notable road win was Virginia's 65-63 victory against No. 4 Duke.

The Cavaliers play at Maryland in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge, followed by road games against South Carolina, Boston College and Clemson.

Other

genny2jpg-8147d496b7202abb.jpg

Genesee 12 Horse Ale is back: Check out special promo at Dinosaur Bar-B-Que (PS; Cazentre)

12 Horse Ale, a legacy beer from the Genesee Brewery, is making a limited comeback this fall around Upstate New York.

12 Horse, which the brewery bills as an "English-style ale," was introduced in 1933, but hasn't been widely available since 2014. It was once part of the regular lineup of Genny products, along with Genesee Beer, Genny Light and Genny Cream Ale.

In the past four years, the original version of 12 Horse has been brewed exclusively for the taps at the Genesee Brew House, the restaurant and tap room adjacent to the main Genesee Brewery on St. Paul Street in Rochester. The Brew House's pilot brewery also made a small "all malt" or craft beer-style version last April.

Now, limited supplies of the draft-only original 12 Horse, made with adjunct grains like the core Genny beers, have been picked up by distributors in Albany, Buffalo, Syracuse and Rochester, according to Mary Beth Popp, director of corporate relations for North American Breweries, Genesee's parent company.

Since all human life originated in Africa, and humans migrated to other parts of the globe, is are there indigenous people, or just first settlors.
Asking for the Clovis people.

Son graduated from Geneva,Joe Namath played High School Ball about a 1/4 mile away ,St Johns Guy (Ron Rowen) who hit the winning Jumper to win Big East Championship also.. (When Pearl drove the whole court and was blocked) Cal Hubbard HOF Baseball and Football ,Dick Lasse former Head Coach @ Geneva (SU Football)

Last edited: