Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
635868124440438112-ASH-OSU-1.jpg

Welcome to National Failures Day!

National Failures Day can be celebrated by reflecting on your mistakes, learning from them, and setting yourself on a new path to success. The day can be celebrated by reading about other people who failed but later found success. Many times people also have thought they were failures, but in fact they had done something very successful. An example of this are the times people mistakenly invented something that turned out to be very beneficial. Admitting Failure is a site where you can read stories of everyday people who failed at something, but later learned from their mistakes to help them move forward. If you are brave you can also submit your own stories to the site!

SU News

5d41778ca68cb.png

Elijah Hughes, Orange Intent On Maximizing Potential During Foreign Tour (flohoops.com; Kensing)

Any itinerary when visiting Italy includes a few musts: like trying the world-renowned cuisine. Syracuse Orange forward Elijah Hughes is no different, with his team set to tour the country for four games in 10 days on a foreign tour that will stream live on FloHoops.com and the FloSports app.
“I’m looking forward to the experience, itself," Hughes said. "I’ve heard a lot of good things about the food, about the people, the scenery."

But the veteran leader of a new-look Syracuse bunch understands the balance necessary for the Orange to make this a trip to remember.
“We’re going to have to have a level of focus. We’re going over there to win four games,” he said. “But we’re also going over there to enjoy ourselves, have fun, and experience a new country and new culture.”

Our first practice for Italy is in the books
— Syracuse Basketball (@Cuse_MBB) July 16, 2019
Syracuse opens the tour with its first game Aug. 12 in Vedano Olona, followed by dates in Vincenza (Aug. 14), Siena (Aug. 17) and Rome (Aug. 18). In between, the Orange will get 10 NCAA-allowed practices to establish chemistry for the upcoming season.

No-Contest: Syracuse rolls in Italian Exhibition game 103-54 (cnycentral,com; Tamurian)

After 20 hours of travel, six time zones ahead of Central New York it's safe to say Syracuse Basketball has its legs under them in Italy.

After winning their first exhibition by ten points on Monday, the Orange rolled past Oxygen Bassano in Venice 103-54.

Buddy Boeheim led the charge with 22 points, at one stretch in the second half Boeheim drilled three pointers on four consecutive possessions.

For his efforts, Boeheim was named MVP of the game.

Bourama Sidibe was a force underneath for an overmatched Oxygen Bassano squad with ten points and 15 rebounds.

Jalen Carey chipped in eleven points while running the offense at a fever pitch.
From the four freshman, Quincy Guerrier scored ten points with eight rebounds and Joe Girard III scored ten with three from distance.

In total, Syracuse hit 16 three pointers with five coming from Boeheim and another couple from Brycen Goodine who scored nine points.

Certainly, the level of opponent has to be taken into consideration, Oxygen Bassano wasn't even in the same class as the Orange but for Syracuse to show such cohesion was a great sign from all units.
Speaking of great signs, Howard Washington played 16 minutes and hit a couple of three-pointers. This after two awful health setbacks with a torn ACL in January of 2018 and a stroke in September of that year.
In 2019-2020, he appears ready to go.

Syracuse will enjoy the next couple days without a game before closing the trip in Italy this weekend with two matchups.

Former Syracuse basketball forward Chris McCullough says he’s recreated his game, hopes for NBA return (PS; Burrows)

Chris McCullough is hoping another exceptional year playing international basketball will help get him back to the NBA.

Currently a star import for San Miguel Beermen of the Philippine Basketball Association, the former Syracuse basketball forward is headed to the PBA finals hoping to cap off what’s been an impressive playoff run.

McCullough has used a string of strong performances to land several contracts in 2019, starting the season in China before a seven-game run with the G-League’s Rio Grande Valley Vipers. McCullough then landed in Puerto Rico and finally the PBA.

After four teams this season, McCullough has signed to play in South Korea and says he thinks his game took a jump this year.

“I think I took this year to recreate myself again,” McCullough told Ben Stinar of Amico Hoops.

McCullough joined Syracuse with high expectations, but a torn ACL cut his lone season short, and the freshman decided to enter the NBA Draft despite playing in just 16 games.

The Brooklyn Nets selected McCullough with the 29th pick in the 2015 NBA Draft, and McCullough says from there he didn’t really get a chance to show how talented he was through three NBA seasons.

UNC Basketball: Tar Heels 2020 recruiting big board (keepingitheel.com; Pearson)

We take a look at the UNC Basketball recruiting big board for the 2020 recruiting class and where they stand this Summer

The 2020 recruiting cycle is starting to heat up as the weeks go on and we could see a big domino effect in terms of commitments.

Only a few of the Top 100 recruits in the class have committed, leaving plenty of big decisions coming ahead. With the month turning to August and players preparing for their senior seasons in High School, recruits will start to trim lists, schedule and then take visits. Fall will be a very big season for recruiting and we could see things really start to take off sooner than later here.
So far in August, we have seen a few top recruiting targets trim their lists down, naming finalists as they move on to the next step in their recruitment.

The good news for UNC is that they were listed in almost all but a few players on their list that have actually cut it. That bodes well for their chances moving into the Fall months.
Some recruiting classes are starting to take shape already and we have an early idea of what to expect. But for the Tar Heels with a lot of targets on their list still left, it will make for an interesting next few months going into 2020.

West Virginia Basketball: Why Mountaineers will be better than Pittsburgh in 2019-20 (bustingbrackets.com; Burgess)

West Virginia Basketball and Pittsburgh both finished last in their respective conferences, but in 2019 expect the Mountaineers to be the more improved team.
It seems like a lifetime ago that Virginia beat Texas Tech for the national title but, another college basketball season is quickly approaching and it is time to start taking a look at how teams shape up for the 2019-20 season. The first team comparison I want to make is between two teams that are coming off equally disappointing years, West Virginia Basketball out of the Big 12 and the Pittsburgh Panthers out of the ACC. Looking at the two squads heading into the season, I believe that the Mountaineers will have a better bounce-back season.

West Virginia had an unaccustomed season under Bob Huggins, finishing last in the Big 12 with a 4-14 record in the conference and just 15-21 overall. You could tell early on that last season may not be a typical one for a Huggins coached team. They began the year 5-2, with the two losses coming at the hands of two mid-major teams that popular picks to do damage in the NCAA Tournament, Buffalo and Western Kentucky. But, it wasn’t just the two losses, even in the wins, it didn’t feel like Mountaineer basketball, not only did they score 88 or more points in five of those games, they also gave up at least 72 in five of them, which was uncharacteristic for West Virginia. The defense never really recovered, going just 10-19 the rest of the way.

In the ACC, the Panthers were led by a familiar face to the conference, former Duke guard Jeff Capel. In his first season, Capel finished tied with Notre Dame for last in the conference with identical 14-19 records and just three league wins out of 18 chances. Like West Virginia, they got off to a good start, 7-1, but then lost to Niagara and the Mountaineers, before going just 7-16 the rest of the way.

On first examination of these teams, Pittsburgh might seem like the squad with more upside for 2019-20, but here are three reasons I believe it will be West Virginia that has the better season.

Disney, Charter Make A Deal (DBR; King)

Disney and Charter reached a big deal today which means that the ACC Network will be on Spectrum. The deal was announced eight days before the network goes live on August 22nd.

Charter has also agreed to embed Disney-owned Hulu, ESPN+ and Disney+ into its set-top box which is a pretty good trick since streaming is emerging as cable’s primary competition.

That considerably expands the reach of the nascent network and puts the primary focus now on Comcast and Dish TV.

Other

M57F5U57URCQXGWSILBSGY66TA.JPG

Get ready to sweat on NY State Fair opening day (PS; Coin)

Get ready to sweat a little if you plan to hit the New York State Fair next week: It could feel like 90 degrees on opening day.

The high temperature on Aug. 21 is expected to be 85 degrees, according to the Weather Prediction Center, the mid-range forecasting arm of the National Weather Service. The normal high in Syracuse for the date is 80 degrees.

With high humidity, the air could feel like 90 degrees, the weather center said. The heat could linger after opening day, too.

“At least the first couple of days look to be warmer than normal,” said Paul Walker, a meteorologist with Accuweather. “We’re expecting highs of 83, but they could be as high as 85 or 86.”

High temperatures and humidity are a couple of ingredients necessary for thunderstorms, although Walker said it’s too early to predict whether opening day will be wet.

“Warmer-than-normal temperatures would certainly allow for the possibility of pop-up thunderstorms at least the first few days of the fair,” he said.

Last year’s fair started on the cool side, with high of 75 degrees on opening day. Temperatures climbed steadily over the next few days, though, and soared over 90 degrees for a couple days of the second week.

Last edited:
Thanks orange79. How in the world did you love my post? That is cool!
If you change your style from Syracuse Default to Pub Only and hover over Like, you should see several other choices. I hope I'm not talking out of school while temery is still tinkering.

Mrs. Real, who is a southpaw, is upset because you didn't feature today being Lefthanders Day. She defends this by reminding me that people who are left handed are always right.

Mrs. Real, who is a southpaw, is upset because you didn't feature today being Lefthanders Day. She defends this by reminding me that people who are left handed are always right.

:)

How left handed of her! I can say that because I too am left handed... ;)