Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
th

Welcome to Mischief Night!

Mischief Night is an evening filled with mischief and pranks done to neighbors, mainly carried out by children and teenagers. Steeped in folk tradition, the holiday usually takes place the night before Halloween. In practice, the holiday separates the trick from the treat of trick-or-treating, which is an activity often done on Halloween. Although, in some circumstances, Mischief Night is observed on Halloween night and is combined with trick-or-treating.

There are a wide variety of pranks that regularly accompany the night. Common examples include toilet papering houses and trees, soaping windows, paint throwing, egging and flouring houses and cars, throwing tomatoes, knocking on doors or ringing doorbells and not waiting for an answer, "forking" gardens, tying door handles together or putting treacle on them, setting off fireworks, and smashing pumpkins. Although the pranks are usually innocuous, the police have had to intervene at times because of the destruction of property, such as by the spray-painting of homes and buildings, and even by arson.

SU News

Syracuse 77, Carleton 58 — What We Learned - The Juice Online (the juice; Cheng)

Syracuse finished its exhibitions on Tuesday night, with the Orange using a late second-half surge to subdue Carleton, 77-58. Here are three things we learned from the game.

CARLETON IS NO PUSHOVER
Tuesday’s contest was far more of a test for Syracuse than its Saturday exhibition against Division II Daemen.
Carleton is Canada’s top college basketball team with national championship aspirations of their own. If they played in the United States, they would be mid-major quality. Carleton played several exhibitions over the summer against American teams, winning two (South Florida and Albany) and losing one (Valparaiso).

So it should not surprise anyone that the Ravens were nonplussed by the length and athleticism of the Orange. Five minutes in, Carleton actually held the lead after a layup from Isiah Osborne gave the Ravens a 14-6 lead.

Anyone not named Elijah Hughes shot 0-5, while Hughes hit his first two 3-point attempts of the half. The Orange would surge ahead by 10 at halftime, but the Ravens stayed mostly within striking distance until late in the second half.

“The advantage of this game is that you’re playing a really smart, physical, tough team that knows how to win,” Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim said. “They’re a very good team and this was a really good game for us.”

GIRARD IMPRESSES
It may be hard for Boeheim to keep Joe Girard on the bench.
The freshman entered into the game with a little over seven minutes left in the first half, and it didn’t take long for him to fire up the crowd.

With 4:56 left in the half, Girard nailed his first 3-point attempt of the game off a dribble drive while being fouled. He hit the free throw for a four-point play.

3 takeaways from Syracuse’s 77-58 exhibition win over Carleton (DO; Schafer, McCleary)

Syracuse closed out its preseason with a 77-58 win against Carleton in the Carrier Dome on Tuesday. The Ravens, who have won 14 of the last 17 Canadian national championships, were led by center Biniam Ghebrekidan who scored 18 points and grabbed six rebounds.

Elijah Hughes led the Orange with 15 points and 10 rebounds. Joe Girard III finished with 14 points and Buddy Boeheim added 12 points and four assists.

Below are three takeaways from Syracuse’s final preseason tune-up before the Orange begin their season hosting defending national champion Virginia on Nov. 6 in the Carrier Dome.

Halfcourt offense

When Carleton pressed its guards forward, Brycen Goodine couldn’t break free. He dribbled left and right, lost the ball a few times and double-dribbled. Running a full court game, due to tight defense in the backcourt, the Orange struggled. After some rough, sloppy play in the early part of the game, Syracuse controlled the pace of the game and broke down defenders off the dribble.

Hughes demanded the ball after the Goodine double-dribble and patrolled the offense with a steady pace. When he worked between the elbows, he showcased an improved crossover dribble, which drew defenders in. As Syracuse started to beat people to the rim, the defense crashed in, leading to wide open shots from beyond the arc.

“(Hughes) can run it,” Boeheim said about Hughes taking the ball up the court after Jalen Carey and Goodine struggled. “If he runs it we have a different attack… so we will have him do that.

In the halfcourt, SU can highlight its strength — shooting — and get to the rim with off-ball movement. Several times, Syracuse players broke down defenders at the top of the key, which drew attention away from the wings. Because defenders cheated up to stop the Orange’s shooting threat, SU players cut to the rim. Sophomore Robert Braswell and Hughes, among others, scored baskets backdoor.

College basketball: Hughes shows he’s ready for role in Syracuse’s exhibition win (nny360.com; St Croix)

Elijah Hughes flashed the maturation of his game as the primary offensive option, and the Syracuse University men’s basketball team connected from deep to hold off Carleton and cap off its preseason Tuesday night.

Hughes delivered team highs of 15 points, 10 rebounds and three steals to go with four assists to guide the Orange to a 77-58 victory over the Ravens of the Ontario University Athletics Conference in front of 4,778 fans at the Carrier Dome.

Hughes, the only full-time starter back from last season, also led SU in scoring with 24 points and five 3-pointers during a 90-71 win over Division II Daemen College in SU’s exhibition opener Saturday.

The Orange, which finished 20-14 overall last season and suffered a first-round loss in the NCAA Tournament, will begin Jim Boeheim’s 44th season as head coach by hosting defending national champion No. 9/11 Virginia in an Atlantic Coast Conference clash slated for 9 p.m. next Wednesday in the Dome.

“That’s really been my main focus this summer is just making plays now and being a basketball player, not just a 3-point shooter, but being that guy,” Hughes said.

Freshman Joe Girard III scored 14 points in 17 minutes off the bench, including a 3-for-4 mark from behind the arc, and Buddy Boeheim added 12 points on three 3-pointers.

Girard III, a Glens Falls product who scored 4,763 career points in high school for the most in state history, provided a spark with five minutes left in the first half and the game tied at 26 points apiece.

With the shot clock winding down, Girard III pulled up and knocked down a 3-pointer while getting fouled. He completed the four-point play to give SU a 30-26 edge, and after the Ravens responded with a 3-pointer of their own, Girard III buried another shot from deep on the next possession.

Syracuse Player Quotes - Carleton (cuse.com)

SYRACUSE PLAYER QUOTES - CARLETON

Syracuse Men’s Basketball
Syracuse vs. Carleton
October 29, 2019
Carrier Dome, Syracuse, N.Y.

Elijah Hughes, R-Jr., F
With a really good opponent like that from Canada, what did this win mean for the team
overall?
“They’re a really good team, well coached. They make plays and have a lot of experience. They’re pedigree speaks for itself so it’s a really good win.”

How ready are you guys going to be for Virginia to come to the Dome?
“We’re going to be ready, we’re going to be well prepared. They’re the defending national champions. It’s going to be rocking in here. It’s going to be a lot of fun and we’ll be ready.”

Coach said that you give the team a different look when you bring the ball up. How do you feel about this option for the team?
“It’s really my first time playing this position for Syracuse. Like you said, it’s a different look. With my size and my height I can really see the floor well and I can be a playmaker in that position.”

Quincy Guerrier, Fr., F
What do you bring to this team overall?
“My physicality and leadership – even as a freshman I think I can bring my leadership to this team. (I bring) My three point shot as well and my rebounding ability.”

Joe Girard III, Fr.., G
What skills do you have to work on the most?
“I guess just staying focused the whole time - whether it’s on offense or defense, not taking any plays off on both ends of the floor. Like I said, just making the right decisions at the right times.”

What part of the game have you been working on the most recently?
“With Coach (McNamara), just always getting to the hoop. Using your lower body rather than your upper body. I’ve gotten myself in a little bit of trouble doing that in the past two games, but I’m still working on it and getting better."

What has your comfort level been in the first two games?
“I’m really comfortable. For me, it’s just going out there and playing basketball, going out there and hooping. That’s what we’re all here to do - to play basketball and win games. When you’re focused on that, and you’re focused on making the right decision with things on the court, usually good things happen."

Buddy Boeheim, So., G
Do you feel like you have a responsibility to help out your teammates in preparation for Virginia?
“I definitely think that everyone on the team knows that they’ll still be one of the toughest teams to play against, no matter who they lost. They lost three of their best players, but this is a really well-coached team. They have three big strong players back; (Mamadi) Diakite being one of them, and we know that they are really good and ready to play. They were one of the smartest teams we played against last year, so I just have to let these guys know that we have to be locked in on every play, because this is a team that can make runs just like that.”

What did you and the team learn about yourselves in these two exhibition games?
“We just learned that we’re a really capable team shooting the ball. We can shoot very well, and we’re one of the better shooting teams in the country. It all comes with defense. Tonight, we played really solid after the first five minutes on defense, and that helped our offense. Just always moving and making the right plays at the right time is something important for us. I think that defense is going to be what we need to focus on come season time, because the offense will be there. It’s all about making plays on defense."

WIth Richmond committed, all eyes are now on the five star (247sports.com; McAllister)

Syracuse basketball picked up its second commitment of the 2020 class on Monday when four star guard Kadary Richmond picked the Orange to end his recruitment. That gives Syracuse two four star prospects in its 2020 class, but the Orange coaching staff has one more prize on their minds. The addition of Richmonds mean their entire focus is on adding five star Isaiah Jackson to the class.

Jackson is an elite prospect with an impressive offer list. His offers include Alabama, Connecticut, Florida State, Georgetown, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisville, Maryland, Memphis, Michigan State, Oregon, Pittsburgh, VCU an Xavier among several others. He is ranked the 25th best player in the class by the 247Sports Composite ranking. He is ranked the third best power forward as well.

Three schools remain for the five star prospect in Alabama, Kentucky and Syracuse. Jackson officially visited Kentucky at the end of August, Syracuse at the end of September and Alabama this past weekend. Jackson's father broke down each of the final three schools earlier this month with 247Sports.
Alabama: "I think Coach [Nate] Oats is an up and coming gem for the NCAA. He's a Michigan guy so his track record there is on the up and offensively, I recognize his genius. That would be a good place for Isaiah as well and he would fit into that positionless offense."

Kentucky: "Coach Calipari and Kentucky their brand and the level they can take Isaiah to. The brand they have there is awesome. The track record speaks for itself and everything is lined up there. Going to Kentucky, he would have to earn his keep. Iron sharpens iron and the amount of weapons there and the bigs coming in, he would thrive there and have that competition and Kentucky provides that."

Syracuse: "The coach they have there, the family environment that Isaiah is used to and Coach [Jim] Boehiem is a legend. Isaiah went to a camp there and loved it. The facility, the academics, it's an awesome place. He fits in there with pick and roll, pick and pop. Defensively, it's kind of like a 2-3 zone but they do a lot of trapping and would thrive there defensively as well."

10 ACC men’s basketball storylines that will shape the league this season (PS; Carlson)

The ACC is usually one of the best college basketball conferences in the country. It is always one of the most interesting.
This year will be no different. The league includes the defending national champions, three Hall of Fame coaches and a player projected to be selected as one of the top five NBA draft picks next season.

Here’s a look at the 10 most interesting storylines that will shape the conference landscape this season.

Just how perfect is Tony Bennett?
Since 2014, Virginia has been able to reload almost annually each year despite regularly losing talented players. The Cavaliers have finished outside of the league’s top two teams just once in the past six seasons.

Following last year’s national title, however, the Cavaliers have experienced their biggest talent drain under head coach Tony Bennett with DeAndre Hunter, Kyle Guy and Ty Jerome all leaving early and getting drafted.

Forward Mamadi Diakite and point guard Kihei Clark were both substantial contributors during the title run. Both are good defenders, who will be asked to increase their offensive output. Big man Jay Huff is a good outside shooter and can provide an interesting wrinkle. Forward Braxton Key also returns.

Still, the thought that Virginia will finish first in the league is a testament to belief in Bennett more than anything else. If the Cavaliers don’t run into significant turbulence this season, it’s hard to imagine when it will happen.

No clear favorite
It looks like there are four ACC teams with an opportunity to win the league title and no overwhelming favorite among them. Duke, North Carolina, Louisville and Virginia all received first-place votes from media members in the league’s preseason poll.

This season marked the first year that four teams got double-digit first-place votes since Syracuse joined the league. It’s the first time it’s happened since at least 2010.
Each of our reporters picked a different team to win the league. North Carolina is the only team that wasn’t represented among their selections.

Syracuse Basketball: Buddy Boeheim, JG3 appear ready for 2019-20 season (itlh; Esden Jr)

Two young Syracuse basketball players appear ready for the season in Buddy Boeheim and Joe Girard III. Here are all the details and highlights vs Carleton.

Two guys are clearly ready for the 2019-20 campaign in Buddy Boeheim and Joe Girard III. Just call them the Syracuse Splash Brothers.

Here are all the highlights from the exhibition finale vs Carleton and why this team is ready for the bright lights after a 77 to 58 win over the Ravens.

First half
Syracuse started with the same starting five they’ve been rolling with since the offseason:

• Jalen Carey
  • Buddy Boeheim
  • Elijah Hughes
  • Quincy Guerrier
  • Bourama Sidibe
Despite that being the starting lineup, a few early mistakes forced some early changes in this game. Jalen and Bourama were yanked early because of some early mistakes forcing Jesse Edwards and Brycen Goodine into the lineup.

Also, it’s important to note, this isn’t your typical cupcake game. Carleton is a National Championship team from Canada littered with veteran players.

6 of their 16 players are in either year four or five and have seen a lot of basketball. While on the other side of the coin Syracuse doesn’t have a senior on the roster this year.

920x920.jpg

Inhabit;ord=9698364439561.879;dc_seg=756255014

NCAA basketball tickets on sale to general public Saturday (times-union.com; Singelais)

Tickets go on sale to the general public on Saturday at 10 a.m. for the NCAA men's basketball tournament, which returns to Times Union Center in March for the first time since 2003.

They should sell quickly, if history is any indication.

Fans can buy all-session passes for $350 each that are good for all six games - four first-round contests on Friday, March 19 and two second-round games on Saturday, March 21.
They're available online only at ticketmaster.com with a link available on the Times Union Center Web site (Times Union Center | Albany NY) that will go active on Saturday.

Times Union Center hosted the East Regional in 2003 and first- and second-round games in 1995.

"We've traditionally been one of the first sites to sell out,'' Times Union Center assistant general manager Doug McClaine said. "I would envision that again for this. The 2003 regionals, we went on the first day and then way back in (1995) we were the first site in the country to sell out."

Other

TKEUSZMK6VBFVMLVYAI7C57TNI.jpg

Lasagna at Angotti's

CNY food classics: 6 places to get big portions at small prices (PS; Miller)

We Central New Yorkers love to stretch our dining dollar while stretching out our waistlines. And we have some decent restaurants that help us do just that.

Over the past two weeks, I went on the hunt to find some big, cheap eats. My goal for this assignment: Strap on the feedbag while keeping the bill as low as possible. This was a strictly a quantitative experiment. I was not necessarily searching for the best food; I was looking for big-food bargains. I still found some good eats.

Here are six places I found. (They’re listed in the order of my visit.) I bought two entrees at each restaurant. I weighed them before eating and subtracted the weight of the empty serving plate afterward. I walked out of each tired and loaded with takeout containers.

Help me out here. I’m certain we have a lot more restaurants that will leave you full and leave you with a small check. Let me know so I can follow this story up with a delicious sequel. Email me or leave a comment.

Angotti’s
Address: 725 Burnet Ave., Syracuse
Hours: Tuesday and Wednesday 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.; Thursday 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Friday 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.; Saturday noon to 10 p.m.

Angotti’s is one of many fine Italian restaurants in Syracuse. Bobby Angotti opened the eatery in 1961, five years after he moved here from Italy. It’s known for its red sauce and large portions. The food here is excellent, which would explain why it was a finalist when syracuse.com went searching for CNY’s best Italian restaurants last year.
Pretty much everything you get here is big. The pizzas to go are so large that the cooks have to fold the edge over so it fits in the box.

We ordered lasagna and a cheese calzone. With that comes a half loaf of Italian bread from Geddes Bakery.