Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
comiccoverbackground.png

Welcome to National Comic Book Day!

Today is a day to celebrate the popular entertainment and collector's item, the comic book. The first American comic book is seen as being Famous Funnies, which was released in 1933, although many books and comics predated it and helped lead to its creation. For example, an 1842 hardcover book titled The Adventures of Mr. Obadiah Oldbuck was made up of comics. In the early 20th century periodicals that contained comics were printed in the United States. American comic books are divided into different eras. In 1938, the release of Superman launched the Golden Age of comic books. Superhero comics were introduced and very popular for most of this era. The Silver Age is seen as beginning with the introduction of Flash in 1956, which led to a rejuvenation in superhero comic books. The Fantastic Four and Spider-Man came about during this era, and the era lasted until sometime in the early 1970's, when the Bronze Age began, which lasted until the mid-1980's. From the end of the Bronze Age until the present day is known as the Modern Age. Non-mainstream comic books such as underground comix sprang up in the 1960's, followed by alternative comics in the 1980's. Comic book stores became popular in the 1970's, and comic book conventions are another way that collectors and comic book fans have connected and enjoyed their hobby.

SU News

A conversation with SU basketball recruit Dior Johnson (PS; $; Waters)

Syracuse basketball recruit Dior Johnson is one of the highest-rated prospects in the Class of 2022.

Johnson, a 6-foot-3 guard who committed to the Orange last winter, is ranked No. 3 in his class by 247Sports.com and No. 11 by ESPN.com.

Johnson, a native of Kingston, N.Y., is attending Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va., this year. It’s the latest in a series of moves for Johnson, who began his high school career at Saugerties (N.Y.) High School and has since attended IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., and Mayfair High School in Lakewood, Calif.

Johnson took the time to have an extended telephone conversation with Syracuse.com reporter Mike Waters.

Most of the interview centered on why Johnson decided to transfer to Oak Hill and his experiences there so far.

Several other topics were touched on in this Q&A:

Q: You recently had your foot placed in a cast because of a stress fracture. How serious was it?

Johnson: It’s a stress reaction. Getting a cast and going for three weeks is extra precaution. I won’t have to worry about it during the season. I could’ve played with it, but we want to get it right and do it now so I don’t miss any games

Q: You’re rated the No. 3 player in the 2022 class by 247Sports and No. 11 by ESPN. How do you feel about your rankings?

Johnson: I feel like ESPN is about a lot of other stuff. There’s politics. You could put me at 25, but if you’ve got good eyes, there’s no guard in high school that’s messing with me. I respect everybody’s game, but I’m going to keep it real. You watch me hoop and you’re going to know.

Syracuse recruit Dior Johnson finds peace at Oak Hill Academy (PS; $; Waters)

When he decided to leave Mayfair High School in Lakewood, Calif., Dior Johnson could have gone to just about any school in the country.

One of the highest-rated prospects in the 2022 class, Johnson would have been welcomed at prep powerhouses from IMG Academy in Florida to Prolific Prep in California.

But he chose Oak Hill Academy. He picked the well-known boarding school in tiny, out of the way Mouth of Wilson, Va., for two reasons – basketball and academics.

"I like it here,'' Johnson said in a telephone interview on Wednesday night. "There’s nothing to do here but play basketball and go to school.''

Syracuse basketball not in Andy Katz top 36, Alan Griffin response perfect (itlh; Adler)

Andy Katz has released his latest pre-season ratings of the top-36 squads, Syracuse basketball is not included and Alan Griffin respectfully disagrees.

With talented junior wing Alan Griffin able to officially compete for Syracuse basketball in the 2020-21 campaign after receive a waiver from the NCAA, that boosts the Orange to a fringe pre-season top-25 team, top-six Atlantic Coast Conference group and anticipated Big Dance participant.

Prognostications about 2020-21 at this juncture are pure speculation, but they’re fun for debate purposes nonetheless. Andy Katz, a long-time college basketball insider who is currently an NCAA.com correspondent, has published his most-recent pre-season Power 36 rankings for the upcoming stanza, and the ‘Cuse didn’t make the cut.

Syracuse Basketball: Ideal options for Orange in ACC-Big Ten Challenge (itlh; Adler)

The ACC-Big Ten Challenge will reportedly move forward for Syracuse basketball, and there are a handful of teams we hope are considered for the Orange.

Syracuse basketball is expected to participate in the ACC-Big Ten Challenge amid the novel coronavirus pandemic, and CBS Sports’ Jon Rothstein is reporting that the event’s plan is for games to get held on Dec. 8 and 9.

After NCAA officials decided to push back the start date of the 2020-21 campaign by about two weeks, from Nov. 10 to Nov. 25, the day before Thanksgiving, Orange head coach Jim Boeheim said that the team’s schedule had to get completely redone.

Given safety protocols, travel restrictions and other logistical challenges brought on by the pandemic, it wouldn’t have surprised me at all if the annual ACC-Big Ten Challenge didn’t occur in 2020-21. NCAA officials have also reduced by four, from 31 to 27, the maximum amount of contests that squads can play.

Therefore, Rothstein’s tweet about the ACC-Big Ten Challenge is encouraging. He also said via his Twitter page that the Atlantic Coast Conference has two windows to hold conference clashes this December, and they are Dec. 15-16 and Dec. 29-30.

How can Syracuse balance Joseph Girard’s scoring with running the offense? (theathletic.com; $; Gutierrez)
Joseph Girard said something this spring that reveals a lot about the way Syracuse may utilize the star point guard in the future: “I’ve always wanted to play the point and make plays for others. I’m best with the ball in my hands.”

Jimmer Fredette called Girard “an underrated passer” and said he’s impressed with the feel Girard has developed while involving others (113 assists as a freshman) and limiting turnovers (60). That said, Fredette has noticed what many others have: the smooth, quick jumper; the easy-looking midrange shots going when he goes left off of ball screens; and the drive-and-kick plays that result in open 3s. Of all the Syracuse players, Girard might be the most intriguing, not only because he plays such a key role and a dynamic position at a fairly high level but also because he creates a number of possibilities on the offensive end, whether it’s as the primary ballhandler or two-guard.

Syracuse Athletics Redefines 'Success' (SI; Payne)

The debut of the newly renovated Carrier Dome is a landmark triumph that Syracuse Athletic Director John Wildhack says has been years in the making. The team set to christen the $118-million-dollar venture hasn’t been nearly as successful, though. At least, not in terms of wins and losses. The 0-2 Syracuse Orange will be the first step beneath the Dome’s brand-new roof, which is made from 8-million-pounds of steel designed to sustain up to 7,700-tons of snow. Wildhack expressed a desire to win games in the modernized facility when he spoke with members of the media on Thursday, but also said winning wasn’t everything.

"Success is: if you compete, you still want to win,” Wildhack reasoned. "So there is the competitive element. I'm not going to be dismissive of that. But in some ways, you know, success is also 'do you have the opportunity to play?' And we have had the opportunity to play."

Notre Dame Hoops Picked 13th In ACC By Lindy's Sports (SI; Driskell)

Lindy's Sports released its preseason basketball magazine, and the publication is not all that high on Notre Dame, who they predicted to finish 13th out of 15 teams in the ACC.

Notre Dame was also shut out on the first, second and third team All-ACC squads.

One area where Lindy's is high on the Irish is with the backcourt, especially junior point guard Prentiss Hubb, who they believe could be a breakout star in 2020-21.

"He's a strong distributor and productive scorer who should be more potent this year, since 2019-20 top scorers John Mooney and T.J. Gibbs are gone," they wrote of Hubb. "He can shoot from distance, although he needs to get a bit more accurate, and can defend well."

The key for Notre Dame this season, according to Lindy's, is the Irish guard becoming dominant and the frontcourt meeting expectations.

"Brey says he likes the team he has coming back ... and he should," they wrote of the Irish. "Last year, the Irish closed 9-4, and though the losses of Mooney and Gibbs are sizeable, there is better depth and versatility on this year's roster. If Hubb, [Dane] Goodwin and [Cormac] Ryan become reliable producers on the perimeter, and Durham embraces the larger role Brey sees for him, the Irish could be in serious consideration for the NCAA Tournament bid."

Other

Upstate Outdoors: Everything you need to know to catch a salmon (PS; video; Figura)

NYUP.com outdoors writer David Figura talks with local fishing guides and breaks down everything you need to know to catch a salmon during the annual run.

Watching that Dior video you quickly learn that this kid is a "freak" on the court. One thing I notice in his drives to the hoop is he uses his off arm a lot to shield him from the defender and I wonder if that kind of stuff would be called at the NCAA level.

His interview sure confirms he is still a kid, but seems to know exactly what he wants and where he's going.

comiccoverbackground.png

Welcome to National Comic Book Day!

Today is a day to celebrate the popular entertainment and collector's item, the comic book. The first American comic book is seen as being Famous Funnies, which was released in 1933, although many books and comics predated it and helped lead to its creation. For example, an 1842 hardcover book titled The Adventures of Mr. Obadiah Oldbuck was made up of comics. In the early 20th century periodicals that contained comics were printed in the United States. American comic books are divided into different eras. In 1938, the release of Superman launched the Golden Age of comic books. Superhero comics were introduced and very popular for most of this era. The Silver Age is seen as beginning with the introduction of Flash in 1956, which led to a rejuvenation in superhero comic books. The Fantastic Four and Spider-Man came about during this era, and the era lasted until sometime in the early 1970's, when the Bronze Age began, which lasted until the mid-1980's. From the end of the Bronze Age until the present day is known as the Modern Age. Non-mainstream comic books such as underground comix sprang up in the 1960's, followed by alternative comics in the 1980's. Comic book stores became popular in the 1970's, and comic book conventions are another way that collectors and comic book fans have connected and enjoyed their hobby.

SU News

A conversation with SU basketball recruit Dior Johnson (PS; $; Waters)

Syracuse basketball recruit Dior Johnson is one of the highest-rated prospects in the Class of 2022.

Johnson, a 6-foot-3 guard who committed to the Orange last winter, is ranked No. 3 in his class by 247Sports.com and No. 11 by ESPN.com.

Johnson, a native of Kingston, N.Y., is attending Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va., this year. It’s the latest in a series of moves for Johnson, who began his high school career at Saugerties (N.Y.) High School and has since attended IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., and Mayfair High School in Lakewood, Calif.

Johnson took the time to have an extended telephone conversation with Syracuse.com reporter Mike Waters.

Most of the interview centered on why Johnson decided to transfer to Oak Hill and his experiences there so far.

Several other topics were touched on in this Q&A:

Q: You recently had your foot placed in a cast because of a stress fracture. How serious was it?

Johnson: It’s a stress reaction. Getting a cast and going for three weeks is extra precaution. I won’t have to worry about it during the season. I could’ve played with it, but we want to get it right and do it now so I don’t miss any games

Q: You’re rated the No. 3 player in the 2022 class by 247Sports and No. 11 by ESPN. How do you feel about your rankings?

Johnson: I feel like ESPN is about a lot of other stuff. There’s politics. You could put me at 25, but if you’ve got good eyes, there’s no guard in high school that’s messing with me. I respect everybody’s game, but I’m going to keep it real. You watch me hoop and you’re going to know.

Syracuse recruit Dior Johnson finds peace at Oak Hill Academy (PS; $; Waters)

When he decided to leave Mayfair High School in Lakewood, Calif., Dior Johnson could have gone to just about any school in the country.

One of the highest-rated prospects in the 2022 class, Johnson would have been welcomed at prep powerhouses from IMG Academy in Florida to Prolific Prep in California.

But he chose Oak Hill Academy. He picked the well-known boarding school in tiny, out of the way Mouth of Wilson, Va., for two reasons – basketball and academics.

"I like it here,'' Johnson said in a telephone interview on Wednesday night. "There’s nothing to do here but play basketball and go to school.''

Syracuse basketball not in Andy Katz top 36, Alan Griffin response perfect (itlh; Adler)

Andy Katz has released his latest pre-season ratings of the top-36 squads, Syracuse basketball is not included and Alan Griffin respectfully disagrees.

With talented junior wing Alan Griffin able to officially compete for Syracuse basketball in the 2020-21 campaign after receive a waiver from the NCAA, that boosts the Orange to a fringe pre-season top-25 team, top-six Atlantic Coast Conference group and anticipated Big Dance participant.

Prognostications about 2020-21 at this juncture are pure speculation, but they’re fun for debate purposes nonetheless. Andy Katz, a long-time college basketball insider who is currently an NCAA.com correspondent, has published his most-recent pre-season Power 36 rankings for the upcoming stanza, and the ‘Cuse didn’t make the cut.

Syracuse Basketball: Ideal options for Orange in ACC-Big Ten Challenge (itlh; Adler)

The ACC-Big Ten Challenge will reportedly move forward for Syracuse basketball, and there are a handful of teams we hope are considered for the Orange.

Syracuse basketball is expected to participate in the ACC-Big Ten Challenge amid the novel coronavirus pandemic, and CBS Sports’ Jon Rothstein is reporting that the event’s plan is for games to get held on Dec. 8 and 9.

After NCAA officials decided to push back the start date of the 2020-21 campaign by about two weeks, from Nov. 10 to Nov. 25, the day before Thanksgiving, Orange head coach Jim Boeheim said that the team’s schedule had to get completely redone.

Given safety protocols, travel restrictions and other logistical challenges brought on by the pandemic, it wouldn’t have surprised me at all if the annual ACC-Big Ten Challenge didn’t occur in 2020-21. NCAA officials have also reduced by four, from 31 to 27, the maximum amount of contests that squads can play.

Therefore, Rothstein’s tweet about the ACC-Big Ten Challenge is encouraging. He also said via his Twitter page that the Atlantic Coast Conference has two windows to hold conference clashes this December, and they are Dec. 15-16 and Dec. 29-30.

How can Syracuse balance Joseph Girard’s scoring with running the offense? (theathletic.com; $; Gutierrez)
Joseph Girard said something this spring that reveals a lot about the way Syracuse may utilize the star point guard in the future: “I’ve always wanted to play the point and make plays for others. I’m best with the ball in my hands.”

Jimmer Fredette called Girard “an underrated passer” and said he’s impressed with the feel Girard has developed while involving others (113 assists as a freshman) and limiting turnovers (60). That said, Fredette has noticed what many others have: the smooth, quick jumper; the easy-looking midrange shots going when he goes left off of ball screens; and the drive-and-kick plays that result in open 3s. Of all the Syracuse players, Girard might be the most intriguing, not only because he plays such a key role and a dynamic position at a fairly high level but also because he creates a number of possibilities on the offensive end, whether it’s as the primary ballhandler or two-guard.

Syracuse Athletics Redefines 'Success' (SI; Payne)

The debut of the newly renovated Carrier Dome is a landmark triumph that Syracuse Athletic Director John Wildhack says has been years in the making. The team set to christen the $118-million-dollar venture hasn’t been nearly as successful, though. At least, not in terms of wins and losses. The 0-2 Syracuse Orange will be the first step beneath the Dome’s brand-new roof, which is made from 8-million-pounds of steel designed to sustain up to 7,700-tons of snow. Wildhack expressed a desire to win games in the modernized facility when he spoke with members of the media on Thursday, but also said winning wasn’t everything.

"Success is: if you compete, you still want to win,” Wildhack reasoned. "So there is the competitive element. I'm not going to be dismissive of that. But in some ways, you know, success is also 'do you have the opportunity to play?' And we have had the opportunity to play."

Notre Dame Hoops Picked 13th In ACC By Lindy's Sports (SI; Driskell)

Lindy's Sports released its preseason basketball magazine, and the publication is not all that high on Notre Dame, who they predicted to finish 13th out of 15 teams in the ACC.

Notre Dame was also shut out on the first, second and third team All-ACC squads.

One area where Lindy's is high on the Irish is with the backcourt, especially junior point guard Prentiss Hubb, who they believe could be a breakout star in 2020-21.

"He's a strong distributor and productive scorer who should be more potent this year, since 2019-20 top scorers John Mooney and T.J. Gibbs are gone," they wrote of Hubb. "He can shoot from distance, although he needs to get a bit more accurate, and can defend well."

The key for Notre Dame this season, according to Lindy's, is the Irish guard becoming dominant and the frontcourt meeting expectations.

"Brey says he likes the team he has coming back ... and he should," they wrote of the Irish. "Last year, the Irish closed 9-4, and though the losses of Mooney and Gibbs are sizeable, there is better depth and versatility on this year's roster. If Hubb, [Dane] Goodwin and [Cormac] Ryan become reliable producers on the perimeter, and Durham embraces the larger role Brey sees for him, the Irish could be in serious consideration for the NCAA Tournament bid."

Other

Upstate Outdoors: Everything you need to know to catch a salmon (PS; video; Figura)

NYUP.com outdoors writer David Figura talks with local fishing guides and breaks down everything you need to know to catch a salmon during the annual run.
For spin-fishing, use a #4 Mepps Aglia spinner with a silver blade and single hook; cast it quartering downstream, letting the current swing it slowly back across the stream toward you. The key to success is in reading the water for where the fish is hanging out. Your spinner needs to pass within a couple inches of the fish's nose. For steelhead, which are a lot more fun, use a #3 Mepps.