Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to American Football Day!

American Football Day celebrates the popular sport, American football. Like many sports, the rules of the game changed a lot over time to be what they now are. The roots of American football are in rugby football and association football—which is commonly known as soccer. The first American football game is seen as being played on November 6, 1869, but the rules were the same as soccer at the time. During the 1870's rugby gained more of an influence on the game, and the ball was allowed to be carried. Walter Camp is known as the "Father of American football", and rule changes he came up with in 1880 brought about things such as the snap, the concept of downs, and teams having eleven players on the field at once. At this time most football was being played at the college level, and a intercollegiate association that later came to be known as the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) was formed in 1905. In 1906 the forward pass was introduced, and changes in field sizes and points for scoring changed soon afterwards. In 1920 a professional league was formed, which came to be known as the National Football League (NFL). By the 1930's the NFL was gaining in popularity because of its emphasis on the passing game, and football in general was gaining in popularity.

SU News

5PGWJGHEA5FMRPKZWHLVRYXJFQ.jpg

Will there be fans at SU games this season? (Mike’s Mailbox) (PS; $; Waters)

Let’s get to those questions.

Q: Will there be season tickets this year? Football cancelled them for this season. Will basketball follow?

Jack M.

Mike: Syracuse University officials have not said anything about allowing season-ticket holders into the Carrier Dome for basketball games this season.

Frankly, it’s not their decision at the moment. The school must follow New York State’s guidelines, which currently don’t allow for fans at sporting events. See: Syracuse football and the Buffalo Bills.

Even if the state guidelines are relaxed, I would be extremely surprised if Syracuse is able to accommodate all of its season ticket holders.

I know they would like to get the players' families into the games and then probably a small number of students.

Maybe then, the university would be able to come up with a system to get season-ticket holders into games.

Syracuse Basketball: Initial KenPom rating is undeniably encouraging (itlh; Adler)

Of course, Syracuse basketball has yet to suit up for an actual game, but the pre-season KenPom ranking for the Orange is solid.

Ken Pomeroy is well-respected in collegiate hoops for his advanced data and statistical analyses, so his placement of Syracuse basketball in his pre-season top 30 is definitely exciting.

Yes, the Orange and every other Division I team out there still have a few more weeks before commencing their 2020-21 campaigns amid the novel coronavirus pandemic, so this pre-season KenPom rating and every other pre-season ranking out there on the ‘Cuse have to get taken with a grain of salt.

However, in 2019-20, when Syracuse basketball wrapped up its stanza at 18-14, the Orange possessed a KenPom rating of No. 51.

The ‘Cuse adjusted offensive efficiency last year was No. 21 nationwide, while the squad’s adjusted defensive efficiency checked in at No. 116. That proved logical, as Syracuse basketball didn’t usually have an issue scoring, but its 2-3 zone struggled throughout 2019-20, to put it mildly.

Syracuse Basketball earns high praise in "Ken-Pom" Rankings (cnycentral.com; Tamurian)

Syracuse Basketball season is just about three weeks away and make no mistake everything will then be settled on the basketball court.

That said, Orange fans have waited eight months to watch Jim Boeheim's team and any bit of positive preseason information is met with excitement.

Including, the "Ken Pomeroy Rankings".

If you're unfamiliar, "Ken Pom" as it's called is considered one of the most accurate systems of ranking college basketball teams and is even used as part of the criteria for the NCAA Tournament's "NET Rankings"

On Tuesday night as election data had the eyes of our nation, some other data dropped that caught Central New York sports fans' attention.

Syracuse Basketball: Dior Johnson new high-school coach is ‘old-school’ (itlh; Adler)

The new high-school coach of Dior Johnson should prove great for the Syracuse basketball 2022 commit.

There’s a contingent of Syracuse basketball fans who express concern over the fact that Orange 2022 commit Dior Johnson has moved around some throughout his high-school career.

As someone who covers the ‘Cuse but is also a Syracuse University alum and a huge fan of Syracuse basketball, I have a lot of passion for the Orange program.

The 6-foot-3 Johnson, a five-star point guard, could end up as the highest-rated recruit for the ‘Cuse dating back to former Orange legend Carmelo Anthony.

That’s if he comes to the Hill and suits up for Syracuse basketball for at least one stanza. Johnson could always forgo college for a professional path.

I do think it’s worth giving some context into the fact that Johnson has enrolled in multiple high schools over the past couple of years. At the same time, the reasoning behind his decisions, and whatever transpires in Johnson’s personal life, I do not believe are my business.

Let’s not forget that while Johnson is one of the premier prospects in all of high-school basketball, regardless of class designation, he’s also a teen-ager and deserves privacy.

800px-Mayor_Bing-678x381.jpg

Syracuse basketball book review — Dave Bing: Attacking the Rim - The Juice Online (the juice; McGlynn)

Neither Chris nor TJO received any compensation for this review.

As a Syracuse alum, I am very familiar with the jerseys that hang in the rafters of the iconic Dome in Central New York. Legendary names of former football and basketball greats circle the interior of the stadium.

Most will instantly recognize the number 44 worn by Jim Brown, Ernie Davis and Floyd Little. Billy Owens, Pearl Washington, Derrick Coleman and, of course, Carmelo Anthony all have their jerseys in the rafters. I actually witnessed Roosevelt Bouie’s number 50 shirt unveiled as a student just a few years ago. I had heard the stories of so many of these great athletes and appreciated their place in Orange history.

However, I was missing a very significant piece of the puzzle. That missing puzzle piece would be Dave Bing. I had often heard him referred to as coach Jim Boeheim’s former roommate and a great player, but those accounts drastically undersold the impact he had on the game of basketball and the city of Detroit.

WTLA-AM (ESPN; radio; Orange Nation)

Danny Schayes “Orange Nation” 11-4

Syracuse Basketball great Danny Schayes joins the show to preview the 2020-2021 college basketball season. The 18-year NBA veteran also gives his thoughts on Adam Silver’s plan to start the upcoming NBA season before Christmas Day.

N.C. State to host four-team event to open men's basketball season (greensboro.com; Staff)

The N.C. State men’s basketball season will open with two games in the Mako Medical Wolfpack Invitational at Reynolds Coliseum on Nov. 25 and 27.

Charleston Southern, Eastern Kentucky and North Florida will be part of the four-team doubleheaders.

State went 20-12 in the 2019-20 season and finished with an NCAA NET ranking of No. 53.

North Florida went 21-12, losing in the Atlantic Sun Conference semifinals and finishing with a NET ranking of No. 175. Eastern Kentucky was 16-17 with a ranking of No. 291 of 353 teams, and Charleston Southern went 14-18 and was ranked No. 316.

Other

EMCALVERXZCTRGLTVGSOPZDMNM.jpeg

Dr. Mantosh Dewan named president of Upstate Medical University (PS; $; Mulder)

Dr. Mantosh Dewan, a psychiatrist who has worked at Upstate Medical University for 41 years, has been named president of the academic medical center.

He was named interim president in 2018 when Dr. Danielle Laraque-Arena, Upstate’s former president, resigned.

Dewan’s annual salary as president will be $610,000. He will also get a $5,000 a month housing allowance.

Dewan is a SUNY distinguished service professor and former chair of the Upstate’s psychiatry department. He has also served as interim dean of Upstate’s medical school.

An Upstate Medical search subcommittee said in a resolution that Dewan “has demonstrated an extraordinary capability to lead this institution in a positive future direction and has gained the measure of respect and support of all sector of Upstate Medical University.”

Last edited:
Mike does a nice job. Wondering if this means anything for Mike Donna or Chris Carlson who usually cover hoops?

Carlson has been covering football since Bailey left.

Sad; a preseason ranking of 29 and 5 th in our league. How far we have fallen.