Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
saganparents.png

Welcome to Carl Sagan Day!

Carl Sagan Day celebrates the life, teachings, and legacy of Carl Sagan, who was born on this day in 1934, and who is known for his many contributions to science. The day was created in 2009 by the Center For Inquiry in Fort Lauderdale, as well Florida Atheists and Secular Humanists (FLASH), and other groups. Events have been held in Florida, but also have spread around the world. Some examples of events that have taken place are star parties—where people come together and view the sky, astronomy lectures, science fairs, and workshops.

Sagan worked in many scientific fields, such as astronomy, cosmology, astrophysics, and astrobiology. He was known for his ability to communicate scientific ideas to the general population, and to get people interested in science. This is probably most exemplified by his 1980 PBS documentary series, Cosmos: A Personal Voyage, which was the most widely viewed PBS program of its time. It won two Emmy's and a Peabody award, and has been viewed by over a billion people in sixty countries. Sagan also published a book to go along with the series. In all, Sagan wrote over 20 books, including The Dragons of Eden: Speculations on the Evolution of Human Intelligence—which won a Pulitzer Prize, Contact—a novel which was made into a film, and The Demon-Haunted World. For 12 years he was the editor-in-chief of Icarus, and published 600 scientific papers and articles, in publications such as Skeptical Inquirer.

Beginning in the 1950's, Sagan was a consultant and adviser to NASA, and he briefed the Apollo astronauts before their trips to the Moon. He received countless honors and awards, and was a professor of astronomy, as well as director of the Laboratory for Planetary Studies, at Cornell University. He passed away in 1996.

SU News

Syracuse Basketball: Which players get run in Jim Boeheim 8-man rotation (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball head coach Jim Boeheim says that he’s not playing more than eight guys.

Syracuse basketball possesses strong depth heading into the 2020-21 campaign, which is fewer than three weeks away.

However, per the norm on the Hill, it doesn’t appear that Orange head coach Jim Boeheim is going to utilize this depth. The ‘Cuse, by the way, has 13 scholarship players this coming season, and the team’s line-up boasts flexibility and versatility at each position.

Still, Matthew Gutierrez of The Athletic posted this quote from Boeheim on Twitter. “Why would I play 11 players? The best players play. They get in a rhythm, and we have success… We aren’t playing more than eight.”

Okay, so that’s settled. Personally, I don’t think giving more than eight guys court time is necessarily a bad thing. During the 2011-12 stanza, for example, 10 players on the Syracuse basketball roster logged a minimum of 10 minutes per contest.

Boeheim says Syracuse will stick with a seven or eight man rotation this season. "Why would I play 11 players? The best players play. They get in a rhythm, and we have success… We aren’t playing more than eight." Jim Boeheim on Joe Biden, Melo, recruiting and more: 25 random questions
— Matthew Gutierrez (@MatthewGut21) November 6, 2020

guerrier_web4.jpg

Syracuse Basketball: Quincy Guerrier feels good, poised for break-out year (itlh; Adler)

CBS Sports’ Jon Rothstein is dishing out some high praise for Syracuse basketball forward Quincy Guerrier.

Back in late July, I penned a column in which I detailed my belief that Syracuse basketball forward Quincy Guerrier is primed for a break-out sophomore season in 2020-21.

College basketball insider Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports seems to agree.

Rothstein has published an article where he lists 20 under-the-radar, break-out players for 2020-21, and he has included the 6-foot-7 Guerrier, a Canadian star in high school who had a solid freshman stint for the Orange.

Guerrier, according to Donna Ditota of Syracuse.com, had surgery last June due to a groin injury that affected him a stanza ago. Guerrier told Ditota that the injury “limited his lateral mobility and jumping ability … and prevented him from doing workouts to strengthen his core.”

Guerrier said to Syracuse.com, “It’s very different from the first day after surgery and now. I definitely feel better. I think sometimes my legs are hurting but it’s not the same thing as last year. It’s just because my legs are sore sometimes trying to get used to (working out) because I didn’t do anything for five months. And then after I had surgery I did rehab and all that stuff. So yeah, I feel great to be honest.”

http://orangefizz.net/2020/11/syracuse-basketball-is-without-a-schedule/ (orangefizz.net; Unsworth)

The Dome (can we still call it that?) goalposts were taken down yesterday.
The next sporting event in the Carrier Dome is not football. It’s that time of the year again. pic.twitter.com/pipUS7lRk8
— Anthony Dabbundo (@AnthonyDabbundo) November 7, 2020
Orange nation, you know what that means. Jim Boeheim’s squad is back on the hardwood in less than three weeks. It’s obviously going to be a unique season. The Dome will probably be without fans. There won’t be a non-conference tournament, or the usual game or two in New York City. SU won’t face its favorite Patriot League foe Colgate and may miss out on another “Battle of the Boeheims,” as Jimmy Boeheim’s Cornell team’s season sits in the hands of Ivy League administrators. However, we are most likely going to get basketball. And after this dreadful football season, the 315 needs some holiday cheer.

What We Know

Syracuse’s opening game is set against Bryant on October 27th. The Bulldogs went 15-17 last year under second-year head coach Jared Grasso, and finished in ninth place in the Northeast Conference. Don’t expect much of a fight from the Bulldogs. However, a cool storyline heading into the opener is the Central New York natives on the Bryant squad. Guard Charles Price won a state championship back in 2018 at Liverpool High School, and sophomore forward Luke Sutherland attended West Genesee High.

Syracuse will play a quality Rutgers team in the ACC-Big Ten this year, per CBS Sports' Jon Rothstein. Can confirm.

So far we know Cuse will host Bryant and Georgetown, plus travel to Rutgers.
— Matthew Gutierrez (@MatthewGut21) October 29, 2020
Besides the two home games against Rutgers (which is going to be a great game) and Georgetown, who lost a ton of talent to the transfer portal, there is blank space Syracuse still has to fill.

Syracuse basketball may prove in mix for one of the best 2022 classes (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball, led by Dior Johnson, is primed for a top-notch 2022 class.

Over the summer, I prognosticated that Syracuse basketball could ultimately find itself in position for one of the top-rated 2022 classes across the country, headlined by five-star point guard Dior Johnson.

Johnson, recently enrolled at Corona Centennial High School in Corona, Calif., committed to the Orange back in February, and he has said that he plans to bring other stellar recruits with him to the Hill.

As we’ve documented on many occasions, ‘Cuse coaches are pursuing a bevy of other highly ranked prospects in the 2022 class, and 247Sports analyst Brian Snow is taking notice.

Snow has published an article in which he discusses whether any other college basketball squads nationwide can catch up to Michigan State and lay claim to the No. 1 class in the 2022 cycle.

The Spartans boast the top-rated 2022 player in Emoni Bates, as well as five-star Canadian center Enoch Boakye, Snow points out. This story mentions a handful of other possible contenders to battle Michigan State for the premier 2022 class.

Unsurprisingly, Snow sounds off names including blue-blood heavyweights Duke, Kansas and Kentucky. Potential surprises may come from Arkansas, Minnesota and Purdue, Snow writes. And then, there’s Syracuse basketball, which we will now discuss.

Syracuse Basketball: Dior Johnson is likened to NBA star De’Aaron Fox (itlh; Adler)

The praise from national analysts continues to pour in for Syracuse basketball 2022 commit Dior Johnson.

Syracuse basketball 2022 commit Dior Johnson is one of the most prolific and creative scorers in all of high-school hoops, according to a national analyst, and he’s also getting compared to a terrific NBA star.

The 6-foot-3 Johnson, a five-star point guard who is No. 3 in the latest national rankings from 247Sports, recently enrolled at Corona Centennial High School in Corona, Calif., for his junior season after leaving the Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va., more than a month ago.

Jerry Meyer, a 247Sports analyst and director of scouting, has a new evaluation of Johnson where Meyer compares the Orange recruit to guard De’Aaron Fox of the NBA’s Sacramento Kings.

Meyer writes of Johnson that he “exudes a similar playmaking prowess as Fox, a former Kentucky star and lottery pick. Sharing similar physical builds, both players have slippery athleticism and are creative scorers and passers as point guards.”

Fox got selected No. 5 overall in the first round of the 2017 NBA Draft by Sacramento after one sensational stanza at Kentucky, in which the Wildcats lost a heart-breaker in the Elite Eight of that season’s NCAA Tournament to eventual national champion North Carolina.

In the recently concluded NBA term, Fox proved tremendous, averaging 21.1 points, 3.8 rebounds and 6.8 assists per contest. I can certainly see Johnson going on to a similar kind of pro career, and hopefully that entails him first suiting up for the ‘Cuse for at least one campaign.

Syracuse Basketball: Top contenders for 4-star Roddy Gayle Jr. final six (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball high-priority 2022 target Roddy Gayle Jr. will reveal a top six on Monday, and the Orange should make the cut.

Syracuse basketball appears in an extremely strong position with 2022 four-star guard Roddy Gayle Jr., and I can’t envision a scenario where the Orange isn’t among Gayle’s top six, which he will announce this Monday, Nov. 9.

The 6-foot-5 Gayle, a junior at Lewiston-Porter High School in Youngstown, N.Y., is a top-80 prospect nationally in the 2022 cycle, according to the majority of recruiting services.

He’s also the No. 7 shooting guard and No. 1 prospect in New York state, per both the 247Sports Composite and the 247Sports recruiting service.

The ‘Cuse offered Gayle about a year ago, and Syracuse basketball coaches have prioritized him for some time now. Multiple recruiting analysts have told me of late that the Orange is in great shape with Gayle, although no experts have logged predictions for him on the 247Sports Web site or .

2022 four-star Roddy Gayle will announce his top six schools on Monday, Nov. 9th, he tells me. @roddy_gayle
— Tipton Edits (@TiptonEdits) November 6, 2020
Additionally, the ‘Cuse is the only squad listed as “warm” under Gayle’s bio on the 247Sports Web site. Given everything that I’ve read about his recruitment in recent months, it would totally shock me if Gayle doesn’t include Syracuse basketball in his top six.

Syracuse Basketball: 5-star Jarace Walker may reclassify, likened to Zion (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball definitely faces an uphill battle to land 2022 five-star small forward Jarace Walker.

Several schools are getting buzz as it pertains to 2022 five-star small forward Jarace Walker, and Syracuse basketball doesn’t appear as one of them, however, the Orange is certainly still in the running for now.

The 6-foot-6 Walker, deemed by the majority of recruiting services as a top-10 prospect nationally in his class, does attend the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., along with Syracuse basketball 2021 five-star commit Benny Williams.

So that’s a positive. Williams, a fellow small forward, has said that he would like to bring Walker with him on a visit to the Hill sometime in the future.

At this juncture, though, teams such as fellow Atlantic Coast Conference member North Carolina, Auburn, Maryland and Michigan are among those receiving buzz for Walker. The Tar Heels and former Big East Conference rival Connecticut are the two most-recent squads to offer him a scholarship.

Based on this recent article from 247Sports national analyst Travis Branham, it doesn’t seem that Walker plans to trim his list of contenders anytime soon.

Other

NWXL6UIEWZEGTOX5XJLXY3PWFQ.JPG

‘Classy and upscale’ jazz lounge opens in Syracuse (PS' $; Cazentre)

The music is described as diverse but ‘‘old school.’’ The vibe is ‘‘classy and upscale.’’ The rules are strict.

And, at least for now, you have to call in and make a reservation to be seated.

“We want to make this is a nice place where people can come and enjoy themselves,” said Sharon Washington, owner of the new Jus Sum Jazz Lounge off the northern edge of Tipperary Hill. “Leave the nonsense in the world outside."

Jus Sum Jazz holds its grand opening this weekend at 1965 W. Fayette St. after a week or so of “soft opening” nights.

You can’t miss it: It’s in a big red-brick building a little north of the Erie Boulevard / West Fayette / West Genesee street intersection. And it’s been recently decorated with a large mural of blues legend B.B. King on the front.

That’s appropriate, since Washington, like King, is originally from the Mississippi Delta region south of Memphis, though she admits she has lived in Syracuse “for a long time.”

The lounge’s music offerings will feature lots of jazz, blues, R&B and soul, Washington said, while the jukebox plays a little bit of everything. It’s set up for both live acts and DJs.