Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
1024px-General_Robert_E._Lee_surrenders_at_Appomattox_Court_House_1865.jpg
Welcome to Appomattox Day!

Appomattox Day marks the date when the terms of surrender were signed to end the Civil War, after almost four years of fighting. Confederate commander Robert E. Lee had recently abandoned the Confederate capital, Richmond, as well as Petersburg, Virginia. His goal was to regroup his troops, who were low on supplies and food, and fight on. On April 8, his troops were almost completely surrounded near Appomattox Court House, Virginia. Still, on the following morning, the Confederates mounted an offensive under the command of Major General John B. Gordon. At first it was going well for the Confederates, but eventually they were turned back as they were outnumbered. General Lee is noted as saying, "There is nothing left me to do but to go and see Gen. Grant, and I would rather die a thousand deaths."

Robert E. Lee surrendered to commanding Union general Ulysses S. Grant in the front parlor of the home of Wilmer McLean. Lee had sent a message to Grant earlier in the day saying he would surrender, and they met at 1 pm. Representative of the nature of the two men, Lee arrived impeccably dressed, with sash and sword, while Grant wore a field uniform that had mud splattered on it. Grant quickly wrote the terms of surrender after Lee asked for them. The Confederate troops were pardoned. The soldiers were allowed to keep their horses, which would be helpful for spring planting, and were allowed to return home. They also were given Union rations so they wouldn't starve. Confederate officers could keep their swords and sidearms.

SU News

0049238-cotp-1280x720.jpg

Syracuse goes to the Midwest to land 2022 wing Kamari Lands (theathletic.com; $; Gutierrez)

Credit a large chunk of Syracuse’s offensive success over the years to talented perimeter scorers, many of whom have benefited from the program’s free-flowing offense. And almost all of them have been wings. For years, this has proven to be SU’s most consistent and most productive position. It’s where we’ve seen the most skilled players, the most NBA talent and the most development. Nearly all of them did the bulk of their damage from their preferred perch, on the wing. Go back to Carmelo Anthony nearly 20 years ago. Or consider recent stars such as Malachi Richardson, Oshae Brissett, Elijah Hughes and Buddy Boeheim.

Which brings us to Kamari Lands, a top-40 Class of 2022 small forward who committed to the Orange on Tuesday. The 6-foot-8 native of Indianapolis plays with a profile that could make him the next in line at Syracuse as a scorer who roams the perimeter and plays mostly off ball. A four-star recruit per the 247Sports Composite, Lands is the Orange’s first commit in the 2022 class. Out went Dior Johnson, the previous 2022 verbal commit, and in comes Lands, who hails from a region (Midwest) not traditionally linked with Syracuse recruiting. But he nonetheless represents a step forward on the Syracuse recruiting trail, which is on track to welcome a top-40 player in the next two classes between 2021 prospect Benny Williams and Lands.

Chaz Owens reportedly returning to Syracuse. Is Jimmy Boeheim next to join 2021-22 roster? (247sports.com; Bailey)

The Syracuse basketball offseason continues to progress at a rapid rate. Twelve days after the end of the season, 11 of the team's 13 scholarship players has had their intentions made clear for next season. Freshman forward Chaz Owens will return to Central New York, his father Billy Owens told Mike Waters of Syracuse.com.

The 6-foot-5, 200-pound Pennsylvania native played two minutes of garbage time last year. He becomes the fifth Orange player projected to return for next season -- a quintet that will be joined by transfer signees Symir Torrence and Cole Swider, as well as five-star forward signee Benny Williams.

And the next domino may not be far off.

Jimmy Boeheim, the oldest son of SU head coach Jim Boeheim, is gearing up to make his transfer commitment. Jimmy posted on Instagram on Wednesday night, implying that his time with Cornell had come to a close and his next school would be announced soon.

"Not the way I imagined it coming to an end, but I’m forever grateful to this program for taking a chance on me when nobody else would and for giving me friends and memories to last a lifetime ...next year’s decision coming soon!"

Jimmy Boeheim entered the transfer portal in mid-November after the Ivy League canceled its season due to the coronavirus pandemic. The 6-foot-8, 215-pound swingman averaged 16.7 points and 5.6 rebounds per game as a junior, shooting 72 percent from the free-throw line over 21 games.

Recruiting Reset: Syracuse Basketball's 2022 Class (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse basketball picked up a huge commitment on Tuesday when small forward Kamari Lands announced his decision. Here's a look at where things stand with the class for the Orange.

POINT GUARD

Syracuse will look to add at least one point guard during this class. Joe Girard and Symir Torrence would be an upperclassmen, and the Orange need a young point guard. There are three options at the position that Syracuse is actively recruiting.

Quadir Copeland: A 6-6 guard that is significantly underrated, Copeland looks like a prototypical Syracuse point. He is long, has good defensive instincts, can get out in transition and is a natural scorer. Copeland plays for Life Center Academy in New Jersey, the same school that produced Dion Waiters. Maryland, Oregon and Penn State are Syracuse's biggest competition.

JJ Starling: Starling is a local product who has moved out of the area in order to play against better competition. Syracuse remains in constant contact. Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame and Washington are the Orange's competition.

On The Block On Demand 4-8 (ESPN; radio; Axe)

Brent calls up Mike McAllister from Syracuse on SI to discuss the newest member of Syracuse Football, Texas transfer Willie Tyler, and how he’ll fit in on the Orange offensive line. Then, an update on who’s in and who’s out on the Men’s Basketball team, including a player who left Brent thinking “that’s a bummer” at the end of the season.

How Will The Departed Perform? – Orange Fizz – Free Syracuse Recruiting News (orangefizz.net; Klein)

This isn’t the first mass exodus Syracuse basketball has seen recently. Prior to last season, the Orange lost three guards. Howard Washington (South Alabama), Jalen Carey (Rhode Island) and Brycen Goodine (Providence). Washington opted out of this season. Carey only averaged about four points per game. Goodine didn’t even average two points per game, a step back from his time on the Hill. Granted, 2021 is an unprecedented year in the transfer portal. But with so many players leaving, and the failure of last year’s departed players, it’s hard not to wonder how this year’s transfers will fare.

KADARY RICHMOND

Richmond is the only transfer that already has a new home. The 6’5″ guard has the build, athleticism and skillset for the next level, and it’s likely that Seton Hall is a one-year stop before he turns pro. It seems like a perfect match with Pirates point guard Shavar Reynolds entering the portal. Reynolds averaged 7.7 points, 2.6 rebounds and 4.2 assists per game in the Hall’s offense. It’s realistic to assume that Richmond will lap those numbers, and make a monumental impact on the defensive end with the starting role all but given to him.

ROBERT BRASWELL

There hasn’t been much buzz on Braswell to any specific school since he entered his name into the portal. But this one was a head scratcher. The former three-star decided to move on just when he was breaking into the rotation with some impact minutes. Braswell will likely have to wait his turn in the portal because not many programs will be calling him as their number one “three-and-D” wing in the portal. His success in, most likely, a lesser group of five program is contingent on his health. If Braswell’s legs hold up then his athleticism should make him a respectable man defender. More importantly, it will allow him to stay on the floor and get his shots up.

JOHN-BOL AJAK

Ajak is another name that seems destined for a group of five program. The center showed some skill in limited action with Syracuse, but not much ability based on his size. It’s going to be even tougher for him to contribute in a man-defense when he is outweighed by 40-50 pounds. Don’t expect Ajak to be a name Syracuse kicks themselves over in the future.

WOODY NEWTON

Newton is going to be a case of “what could have been” for Syracuse. The freshman showed off his three-point jumper last year, hitting eight of 17 tries. More importantly, his athleticism seemed to make him destined to develop into a good slasher from the wing. Even though there’s not much tape to go off of, there will be a deep market for his services. Don’t be surprised if he lands with an ACC team in need of a jolt. He could be a thorn in SU’s side for years to come.

Syracuse basketball, despite naysayers, recruiting at high level these days (itlh; Adler)

In recent years, as Syracuse basketball has slogged through some so-so regular seasons since joining the Atlantic Coast Conference and also had to deal with various NCAA sanctions not too long ago, a decent-sized contingent of Orange fans has frequently groaned about the state of the team’s recruiting efforts.

Has the ‘Cuse seen a dip in its recruiting over the past handful of seasons? Perhaps. Is the program in a state of chaos or massive concern as it pertains to recruiting? I don’t think so.

It certainly stung a bit when 2018 five-star forward Darius Bazley reneged on his commitment to Syracuse basketball. The same holds true of 2022 five-star point guard Dior Johnson, who backed out of his verbal commitment to the ‘Cuse late last year.

But for my money, the Orange’s recruiting is on a roll, and I believe that this kind of exciting momentum is going to continue onward for the foreseeable future.

So I guess Boeheim & Co. can still do this recruiting thing okay, right? This is a massive pick-up for the Orange!!! https://t.co/9b5YgXkrRu
— Neil Adler (@DAMNTWIN) April 6, 2021

Other

A Life Worth Fighting For - Syracuse.edu (syracuse.edu)

A Life Worth Fighting For

Newhouse standout maneuvered from sports writing to professional hockey management with ease, but now faces a daunting challenge.

Chris Snow stands by a hockey rink next to a pyramid of pucks. Click to read his story.
Newhouse alumnus Chris Snow is a former sports writer who now works as assistant general manager for the Calgary Flames professional hockey team in Canada.

When Chris Snow ’03 was applying to college, his goal was to attend the best journalism school he could get into. The Melrose, Massachusetts, native knew he wanted to write about college athletics, so he narrowed his choices down to three reputable universities with prominent sports profiles: Syracuse, Northwestern and Boston. “I applied to Syracuse early decision, then started the Northwestern application,” he remembers. “I never even started the Boston University application, because Syracuse accepted me in December, and my mind was made up the moment I opened that envelope. I was so excited and relieved, because I knew how competitive it was to get into Newhouse.”
Snow became a standout student, earning dual degrees in magazine journalism through the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications and policy studies through the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs. He quickly distinguished himself as a sports writer for The Daily Orange (The D.O.), the independent newspaper run by Syracuse University students that is considered among the best in the country. “The D.O. was as much my education as the University,” Snow says. “I probably spent 20 waking hours a week in a classroom and 40 hours at The D.O. offices or covering Syracuse football, basketball or lacrosse games.”

A Generation of Orange Writers

Snow describes those years at The Daily Orange as “an incredible moment in time” for student sports writers. “Pete Thamel, Dave Levinthal, Dave Curtis, Jeff Passan, Greg Bishop and Mike Rothstein were ahead of me by a year or two, and Eli Saslow, Chico Harlan, Adam Kilgore, Pete Iorizzo, Darryl Slater and Chris Carlson were a year behind me,” Snow recalls. “We taught each other. We helped each other secure internships at major daily newspapers. I can’t imagine a generation of university sports writers having more shared success than that group, in college and then professionally. I would not have the career and life I do today if I had gone anywhere but Syracuse.”