Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
iStock-1084996534-1024x683.jpg
Welcome to National Wine Day!

National Wine Day celebrates wine! If drinking in moderation, wine not only fights heart disease but has other health benefits. It can also help fight type II diabetes, stroke, some cancers, high cholesterol, and even liver disease. One of the healthiest wines in Pinot Noir; it contains a high amount of resveratrol. In general, red wines are healthier than white wines.

Wine is drunk on its own or with a meal and can be used as a flavoring in many recipes. It is usually made from fermented grapes; common grape varieties—which may give the wine its name—include Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Gamay. Hybrid grapes such as Concord may also be used. To create wine, the sugar in the grapes is eaten by yeast and turns into ethanol and carbon dioxide. Red wine is made from dark-colored grapes. The juice is actually greenish-white; the but violet or red color comes from the skin of the grapes. White wine is created from the fermentation of light-colored grape pulp. Yellow or green skinned grapes are usually used. Dark-skinned grapes can be used to make white wine, as long as the skin itself is not used. For example, Pinot Noir grapes can be used to make champagne. Rosé wine has some color from grape skins, but not enough to make a red wine.

SU News

5f7b4be965f25.image.jpg

Syracuse Basketball: After visits, four-star Justin Taylor could soon decide (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball has made 2022 four-star wing Justin Taylor out of Virginia a high-priority target in this cycle for a while now.

In fact, I’ve read media reports and comments from Taylor himself in recent months that speak to Orange coaches making him the top priority for the team in this class.

I get the sense that the 6-foot-6 Taylor could trim his list of contenders in the near future, and I fully expect Syracuse basketball to make the cut.

According to a recent tweet from recruiting guru Jake Weingarten, the founder of Stockrisers.com, Taylor is planning to make visits to the ‘Cuse, Virginia Tech, North Carolina and Indiana next month.

I’m hopeful that his trip to the Hill is a positive one. Taylor, a junior at the St. Anne’s-Belfield School in Charlottesville, Va., has a bunch of offers beyond the squads he has already lined up visits to, including from his hometown squad, Virginia, which won the 2019 NCAA title.

Several more recent offers have arrived for Taylor, from groups such as Florida and former Big East Conference rival Connecticut. I’m not sure how much of a shot either the Gators or the Huskies have with him, but competition is fierce regardless.

Syracuse basketball may soon find out the final decision of four-star wing Justin Taylor.

Listen to Locked On Syracuse - Daily Podcast On Syracuse Orange Football & Basketball on TuneIn (tunein.com; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

College basketball insider Jeff Goodman (Stadium & The Field of 68) is back to continue talking about the Jim Boeheim succession plan and why former players want it to stay in the family. Plus, how Syracuse should gear up to navigate through the transfer portal era of college basketball. Also, how can the Orange get back to the glory years of the early 2010s? Tim Leonard and Tyler Aki discuss it all and more with Jeff Goodman on the Tuesday edition of the Locked on Syracuse Podcast.

ESPN The Sportszilla Show 5-24-21 (ESPN; radio; Sportszilla Show)

On today’s James Mitsubishi Podcast with Rain and Matt, they talk to Alex Conn from TK99, Utica Men’s Basketball Sean Coffey and Matthew Gutierrez from The Athletic, plus more!

10395864.jpg

Syracuse basketball and blue-bloods inquiring about big man Gabe Grant (itlh; Adler)

Gabe Grant is a freshman at a prep school in the Baltimore area, so his recruiting process has a long way to go, but already Syracuse basketball and other big-time programs are reaching out regarding him.

Grant is listed as a 6-foot-10 center in the 2024 class on the 247Sports Web site. He is a freshman at the McDonogh School in Owings Mills, Md.

At present, he is competing on the AAU circuit for Team BBC (the Baltimore Basketball Club), according to a recent article on Grant from top recruiting analyst Eric Bossi, who is the national basketball director for 247Sports.

Grant said to Bossi, in part, “My game is based around energy. I don’t want to let anyone outwork me and that’s how I play. Every single game, I spread the floor, I get blocks, I get rebounds and I don’t let anybody try to take that from me. … I’m working on my jump shot, I’m working on driving to the basket. I’m also working on my handles and stuff like that.”

Syracuse basketball is reportedly taking a look at talented 2024 center Gabe Grant.

Bossi writes in his piece that multiple programs have reached out for more information on Grant. Those squads include the Orange, Mike Hopkins-led Washington, blue-bloods Kansas and Kentucky, fellow Atlantic Coast Conference members Florida State, Clemson, Miami and Virginia, Arizona State, Indiana and former Big East Conference rival St. John’s.

That’s quite a list of teams potentially showing interest in Grant. He’s not listed on all of the main recruiting Web sites for now, given his year in school, and I don’t see any official offers at this juncture.

Manny Bates likely to remain at NC State - ACCSports.com (accports.com; Geisinger)

Manny Bates is likely to remain at NC State for the 2021-22 season, according to new information from Hilltop Hoops, a Georgetown Basketball news source.

Last week, word started to trickle out that Bates — one of the top defensive centers in the country — was looking to leave NC State and play elsewhere. However, no source — local or national — ever confirmed that Bates officially entered his name into the portal.

The notion that Bates may leave, after three years with the program, no longer seems to be the case, though.

Word on the street is that NC State sophomore center Manny Bates is no longer likely to enter the transfer portal after a last-minute push by head coach Kevin Keatts to keep Bates. Expectation is now that Bates will remain a member of the Wolfpack.
— Hilltop Hoops (@HilltopHoops_) May 21, 2021
Georgetown was rumored to be the favorite to land Bates, if he left Raleigh.

The theoretical departure of Bates would be a nightmare for NC State; Bates is a two-way force and an elite rim protector. On both ends of the floor, Bates works as a fulcrum in NC State’s pick-and-roll schemes. In a variety of ways, Bates is the model center for how Kevin Keatts wants to play.

Beyond Bates, there’s very little experience/production at the center position. His value over replacement player on this roster is massive.

ACC Question Marks: Will Hubert Davis Modernize UNC’s System? (DBR; King)

We always do pre-season previews late in the summer but there is so much flux that we thought we’d start to look at some of the main question marks for next season in the ACC early. And we don't think there’s a bigger one than Hubert Davis taking over at UNC.

When Roy Williams stepped down, he said he wasn’t sure he was the right man for the job anymore and recommended Davis take over.

UNC is kind of unusual in that it has only had five coaches since 1952, Duke is close with six but Coach K has been there since 1980. No one else has put in more than 10. Most schools have much more turnover. Wake Forest, for instance, has had 10 since 1952. NC State has had eight.

Even more striking, other than Frank McGuire, and arguably Matt Doherty, UNC’s approach has been remarkably consistent. This is largely because of Dean Smith, who is still revered in Chapel Hill, and Roy Williams, who revered him as much as anyone, always and only calling him Coach Smith.

Other

5DU3FYQACVBE7LL4TFCL2GRXQA.jpg

Aluminum is processed at the Novelis plant in Scriba in this file photo.Dennis Nett | dnett@syracuse.com

Ford F-150 Lightning: Central New York company plays a role in breakthrough all-electric truck (PS; $; Moriarty)

The Novelis plant in Scriba, Oswego County’s largest industrial employer, will be a primary provider of aluminum for the body panels on Ford’s upcoming F-150 Lightning, the all-electric version of the automaker’s wildly popular F-150 pickup.

Leila Giancone, a spokesperson Novelis, said the factory will supply high-strength, lightweight aluminum for the F-150 Lightning.

Ford plans to begin production of the Lightning next year at its Electric Vehicle Center, a new factory being built in Dearborn, Michigan. The exact timing for production startup on the aluminum for the vehicle is to be determined, Giancone said.

“This is an exciting time for us here in Oswego,” said Novelis plant manager Jeff Cruse. “Novelis is proud to continue its valued partnership with Ford.”

Though the huge aluminum plant is in the town of Scriba, the company calls it Novelis Oswego because of its proximity to the city.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom