Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to International Women's Day!

Celebrated each year on March 8, International Women's Day commemorates the movement for women's rights and celebrates the political, cultural, social, and economic achievements of women. It is also a day to continue fighting for gender equality: for equal pay and work opportunities for women, and for equality in access to education and healthcare worldwide. It is also a day to work to eradicate violence against women. It is celebrated around the world and supported by various groups. Small and large gatherings and conferences take place. It is a day of celebration, but also a day of taking new initiatives and action.

SU News

YPEKFLNWA5EZRP4CEOK24CA4P4.jpg

Syracuse guard Joseph Girard III (11) drives on Florida State guard Anthony Polite during a game in December. Dennis Nett | dnett@syracuse.com

Syracuse basketball vs. Florida State in ACC tournament: What to know (PS; $; Waters)

It’s been a long and disappointing season for the Syracuse basketball team.

Syracuse finished the regular season with a horrible 75-72 loss to Miami on Saturday, blowing an 18-point lead against the Hurricanes for the second time this season. The loss dropped Syracuse’s record to 15-16 overall and 9-11 in the ACC.

Syracuse faces the prospect of finishing below .500 for the first time in Jim Boeheim’s 46-year head coaching tenure unless it can resurrect its season in the ACC tournament.

The Orange will open against Florida State (17-13, 10-10) in the tournament’s second round on Wednesday at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

Syracuse and Florida State split a pair of games in the regular season. The Orange stunned the Seminoles 63-60 in Tallahassee in early December. Florida State avenged that loss with a 76-71 win over the Orange at the Carrier Dome on Jan. 15.

While FSU and Syracuse finished eighth and ninth, respectively, in the ACC’s final standings, the teams find themselves going in completely opposite directions entering the conference tournament.

Syracuse has lost its last four games. Even though the losses came against the teams that finished in the top four in the ACC -- Duke, Notre Dame, North Carolina and Miami -- the Orange’s play down the stretch has been less than inspiring. Syracuse cost itself in late-game situations against both North Carolina and Miami.

Bleav in Syracuse Episode 37 (SI; podcast; Bleav)

Bleav in Syracuse podcast episode 37, presented by Bet Online and Hofmann Sausage Company, is out! Mike and Kyle take a look at the Orange's gut wrenching senior day loss to Miami, look ahead to the matchup with Florida State and more.

Boeheim will coach Syracuse for another '3-5 years,' Kouwe says - The Juice Online (the juice; podcast; Cheng)

Now that the Syracuse basketball regular season is over, we checked in with former Orange guard Andrew Kouwe in this week’s The Juice on the Cuse Podcast, presented by SNY.tv.

Kouwe tackled the biggest news item in the last week: What to make of Jim Boehim’s announcement of “ironclad” succession plan during Brent Axe’s “On the Block” last week on ESPN Radio.

“We have a plan in place, a good plan, an ironclad plan,” Boeheim said to Axe. “But we have a plan, we obviously aren’t going to release it, because we don’t want everybody we’re recruiting against to know what we’re going to do.”

While that may be true, Kouwe, who played at Syracuse from 2000-2004, still thinks that plan is several years from coming to fruition.

“I’ve always been in the camp that he’s going to stay longer than people think,” Kouwe says on the podcast. “I don’t see why he wouldn’t continue for another 3-5 years.”

Syracuse Basketball: Several predictions arrive for 2022 four-star target (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball remains in contention for 2022 four-star guard Judah Mintz, according to media reports, and the former Pittsburgh commit is anticipating a decision in April.

The 6-foot-3 Mintz, a senior at the powerhouse Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va., took an official visit to the Hill not too long ago when the Orange suited up against top-10 Duke at the Carrier Dome.

In recent weeks, Mintz has traveled to the ‘Cuse, DePaul, N.C. State and, most recently, Wake Forest. His father, Camara, said in an article this week from college basketball insider Adam Zagoria, “Everyone is still in the mix. We haven’t made any decisions yet and are going to take the next couple weeks to talk it through as a family.”

Mintz, generally deemed as a top-75 prospect in the 2022 cycle by the majority of recruiting services, appeared to enjoy his visit to Central New York, per reports. “Syracuse’s message was that he could come in and play right away and make an immediate impact,” Mintz’s dad said to Zagoria.

Syracuse basketball is one of several teams vying for four-star guard Judah Mintz.

On Monday, I noticed that two predictions came in for Mintz on the 247Sports Web site, both in the direction of Big East Conference member DePaul.

draft-day-01.png

Roundtable: Selecting the top ACC players before the conference tournament (DO; Staff)

Throughout the 2021-22 season, The Daily Orange’s men’s basketball beat writers have watched Syracuse face each Atlantic Coast Conference team at least once — and six teams twice — en route to the Orange’s first regular season under head coach Jim Boeheim that ended with a record under .500.

There were the blown leads, including the most recent 18-point advantage in an eventual loss to Miami. There were the blowouts, like both games against Duke. There were the deflating losses that expedited the sinking of their season, like the one against Pitt. And there were the high points of the conference slate, like a 22-point victory over Wake Forest which sparked a four-game winning streak.

The beat writers were asked to draft a team that included a five-player lineup, a sixth man and a head coach heading into the ACC tournament, which begins Tuesday at the Barclays Center. The goal wasn’t to necessarily draft the five best players, but rather the most complete lineup that takes into account skillset and fit on the overall team.

Roshan Fernandez was awarded the first overall pick via a random number generator, followed by Andrew Crane and Gaurav Shetty in a snake draft format. Here’s who they selected:

Round 1

Roshan Fernandez: Paolo Banchero, forward, Duke

Alondes Williams was probably the obvious first-overall selection (he won ACC MVP), but I valued a combination of rebounding and scoring with my pick here. Alondes is certainly an impressive scorer, but I felt like I could get those points from other strong offensive players. Paolo Banchero provided both rebounding and points. There’s a reason why he’s an All-ACC First Team selection as a freshman and is projected to go top three in this year’s NBA draft. He’ll provide the length and strength my team needs.

How he fared against SU: Banchero had 15 points and 13 rebounds in the first Syracuse-Duke game. He had 21 points and nine assists in the second game on 4-of-7 shooting from 3-point range.

Andrew Crane: Alondes Williams, guard, Wake Forest

I was shocked that Alondes, or at least Armando Bacot, wasn’t selected first overall. That made this pick a bit tougher, as I’d originally planned to just take whomever wasn’t selected first overall, but I decided on Alondes because I wanted to construct a team that could score — and keep scoring — at a pace the other two teams couldn’t match. Alondes draws 5.2 fouls per 40 minutes, and his 61.2% 2-point percentage ranks 135th in the country, per KenPom. But he also holds the country’s 47th-best assist rate and helped anchor the Wake Forest offense that finished seventh in effective field-goal percentage and 29th in adjusted efficiency. I found my point guard, and a pure scorer, in the first round, and that’s as good of a first pick as I could ask for.

How he fared against SU: In Wake Forest’s overtime win against Syracuse in January, Williams led the Demon Deacons with 25 points on 9-of-15 shooting. But in their meeting three weeks later, the Orange held him to just eight points on 3-of-10 shooting as Daivien Williamson took over and scored 27.

Links, News and Rumors 2022-03-08 (RX; HM)

Links, News and Rumors 2022-03-08

First, let's look at men's basketball. For some reason, the computers have loved Virginia Tech all season - and they still do. Checkout KenPom's top 72 teams...
RkTeamConfW-L
1GonzagaWCC24-3
2ArizonaP1228-3
3KentuckySEC25-6
4BaylorB1226-5
5HoustonAmer26-5
6DukeACC26-5
7AuburnSEC27-4
8UCLAP1223-6
9KansasB1225-6
10VillanovaBE23-7
11Texas TechB1223-8
12TennesseeSEC23-7
13PurdueB1025-6
14IowaB1022-9
15TexasB1221-10
16Saint Mary'sWCC24-6
RkTeamConfW-L
17LSUSEC21-10
18IllinoisB1022-8
19ArkansasSEC24-7
20ConnecticutBE22-8
21San FranciscoWCC24-8
22AlabamaSEC19-12
23San Diego St.MWC21-7
24Loyola ChicagoMVC25-7
25Murray St.OVC30-2
26Ohio St.B1019-10
27Boise St.MWC24-7
28MemphisAmer19-9
29Virginia TechACC19-12
30WisconsinB1024-6
31MichiganB1017-13
32North CarolinaACC23-8
RkTeamConfW-L
33Colorado St.MWC24-4
34Wake ForestACC23-8
35Seton HallBE20-9
36ProvidenceBE24-4
37OklahomaB1217-14
38Oklahoma St.B1215-15
39Iowa St.B1220-11
40USCP1225-6
41MarquetteBE19-11
42TCUB1219-11
43Michigan St.B1020-11
44IndianaB1018-12
45DavidsonA1025-5
46DaytonA1022-9
47Notre DameACC22-9
48North TexasCUSA23-5
RkTeamConfW-L
49BYUWCC22-10
50Mississippi St.SEC17-14
51XavierBE18-12
52UABCUSA24-7
53Utah St.MWC17-14
54FloridaSEC19-12
55Washington St.P1218-13
56WyomingMWC24-7
57Texas A&MSEC20-11
58SMUAmer22-7
59Miami FLACC22-9
60Kansas St.B1214-16
61Saint LouisA1021-10
62Fresno St.MWC18-12
63VCUA1021-8
64Missouri St.MVC23-10
RkTeamConfW-L
65St. John'sBE16-14
66VermontAE26-5
67TowsonCAA25-7
68Santa ClaraWCC21-10
First Four Out
69ChattanoogaSC26-7
70CreightonBE20-10
71West VirginiaB1215-16
72VirginiaACC18-12

Other

6F3W4SMWARGWDOM7DHFGJODFAQ.jpg

A employee at Density Inc. assembles a sensor at the company's manufacturing center in The Tech Garden in Syracuse. (Density)

People-counting firm Density opening second office in downtown Syracuse (PS; $; Moriarty)

Density, a startup company whose technology allows building owners to anonymously count and track how people use their space, is opening a new office in downtown Syracuse to house its manufacturing center.

The company held a ribbon cutting ceremony Tuesday for the 21,000-square-foot manufacturing center in the historic Whitlock Building at 476-480 S. Salina St.

Density was founded in 2014 at The Tech Garden, a business accelerator operated by CenterState CEO on Harrison Street.

See: How 6 coffee lovers grew their Syracuse people-counting company into a $1B ‘unicorn’

In coronavirus era, Syracuse startup that tracks social distancing wonders: Is this our moment?

The company has grown rapidly during the coronavirus pandemic as office building owners and corporations look for ways to monitor how many people are in their buildings and how they are using the space.

Density uses sensors and software to count the people coming and going from a building and places within the building. Customers pay a subscription for the workspace usage data the sensors provide.

The company does all its manufacturing in Syracuse and ships its sensors to customers in more than 32 countries.

Tom Goodfellow, owner of the Whitlock Building, said Density will occupy the entire first floor of the building to accommodate its growing business. The top two floors of the three-story building contain apartments recently developed by Goodfellow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom