Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
ea76334a-968b-4d73-9af4-06aa2827e561-02_XXX_simpsons-homer-donut-5645-.JPG

Welcome to National Doughnut Day!

National Doughnut Day, also known as National Donut Day, is an annual event that was started by the Chicago branch of the Salvation Army, first being held in 1938. It was created to honor the "Lassies," "Doughnut Girls," or "Doughnut Dollies" who had served doughnuts to servicemen in Europe during World War I. The aim of the day was also to be a fundraiser for Chicago's Salvation Army, in order to help the many people who were suffering on account of the Great Depression.

During World War I, the Salvation Army sent about 250 women volunteers who became known as "Doughnut Dollies" to France. They worked in "huts" near the front lines, where baked goods, supplies, and stamps were available, as were services for mending clothes. As it was hard to get most fresh baked goods this close to the front lines, doughnuts were chosen. At times they were even fried in helmets! The Salvation Army reintroduced the giving out of doughnuts during World War II, and members of the Red Cross gave them out as well. Today, the day is still a fundraiser for the Salvation Army in many places, and the organization teams up with various doughnut shops on the day. Some places also give out free doughnuts today.

SU News

usa_today_17263023.0.jpg

Rich Barnes-USA TODAY Sports

Who should be Syracuse men’s basketball’s 2022 Big Ten opponent? (TNIAAM; Ostrowski)

The Syracuse Orange continue to fill up their schedule with non-conference opponents, but one foe that they have yet to announce is a team from the Big Ten. The tenth annual ACC/Big Ten Challenge will take place in December, with matchups expected to be unveiled later this month. Since Syracuse hosted Indiana last year, this season’s game will probably be on the road, though there’s no guarantee since some teams play at home two years in a row to swap out opponents. Mike Waters from Syracuse.com did a breakdown of likely opponents, but these are the matchups that I think make sense for SU:

Northwestern

This contest is long overdue as the two schools faced off only once, all the way back in 1965. While Syracuse and Northwestern battle it out on the court, students from Newhouse and Medill - two of the nation’s best journalism schools - would also fight on the sidelines to provide the best coverage of the game. Throw an alum from each in the broadcast booth for the national telecast and you’re good to go. This was a big deal in 2012 for football and I expect it to be the same now for hoops. It also helps that the Wildcats fared about the same as the Orange last year, going 15-16.

Indiana

These two teams faced each other last season in a triple-overtime thriller, so why not run it back and schedule a round two? I know this isn’t exactly a favorable matchup, with the Hoosiers on preseason Top-25 charts, but I do think the Orange need at least one challenging non-conference game to keep them on their toes and get ready for the always-difficult ACC lineup. Plus their one big weakness was shooting 3s, which works out great for the ‘Cuse since they couldn’t guard the perimeter at all last year. SU is 6-1 against Indiana all-time, with their only loss being the teams’ inaugural matchup in 1987.

Iowa

The Hawkeyes are another challenging opponent for the Orange. They’re coming off a ranked season but lost some of their top talent from last year. The teams played in the Dome in 2019 so a trip to the field court of dreams is in order. Not only does this check off the box for one challenging non-conference opponent, but it’s also more likely than an Indiana rematch.

Nebraska

If SU’s goal is to ease in the freshman as much as possible, then this is their best bet. The Cornhuskers were dead last in the Big Ten last year and are the closest thing to a gimme game the Big Ten will present this year. They’re also pursuing Associate HC Adrian Autry’s son, a 3-star SG named Trey which would add one interesting angle to this pairing.

Two other Big Ten teams who were home last year could also make sense as Syracuse opponents, if they end up with another home game.

Maryland

Both schools have historically good basketball programs that are coming off unexpected losing seasons - their firsts in a long time. The Terps are conveniently located near the Baltimore/D.C. metro area, a huge recruiting pipeline across multiple SU sports. And these two schools have some playoff history, having faced each other in both the NIT and NCAA tournament twice. You could also go back to the journalism angle and sub in Merrill for Medill. The Mike Tirico and Scott Van Pelt reunion?

‎ESPN Syracuse: 30 Minutes In Orange Nation 6-2 on Apple Podcasts (apple.com; radio; Steve & Paulie)

Steve and Paulie assess a hot take from Chris Canty involving Jayson Tatum's place on the NBA totem pole. Then, Syracuse.com's Mike Curtis joins the guys to share who he believes will elevate their games the most this year for Syracuse Men's Basketball. Later, the guys create stakes for Jordan's Wildcat wing eating challenge tomorrow at Taste of Syracuse.

Listen to Locked On Syracuse - Daily Podcast On Syracuse Orange Football & Basketball on TuneIn (tunein.com; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

Syracuse basketball has a lot to prove with three of the top four scorers from last year pursuing the professional ranks. Brad Klein and Matt Bonaparte debate which remaining players have the most pressure to step up. Benny Williams, Symir Torrence, Jesse Edwards, and Joe Girard will all undoubtedly be looked upon for returning leadership as the loaded freshman Class of 2022 rolls in.

Is Syracuse vs. Georgetown still worthwhile? (TNIAAM; Szuba)

The Syracuse Orange men’s basketball program announced on Tuesday that it will host Georgetown this upcoming season on Dec. 10, thus continuing the series and the longstanding rivalry.

Although the rivalry was once heated in the old Big East days, the stakes feel smaller than they used to. In large part, that’s because they are. It’s impossible for the series to mean as much in the current iteration without conference implications, multiple meetings per year and of course, the chance of meeting in a win or go home conference tournament at Madison Square Garden.

The rivalry has leaned heavily into tradition to this point and younger fans haven’t exactly bought into the hype. Why should they? Plenty of ink has been spilled on the state of the rivalry and nobody is fooling anyone in saying this still feels the same. So yes, this isn’t your father’s Syracuse vs. Georgetown game. But the question at this point is whether or not the game still makes sense on Syracuse’s schedule.

Syracuse is just 3-4 in the series since leaving the Big East and could be just one Tyus Battle away from being 1-6. For a program that’s by and large been on the bubble in that stretch, non-conference wins have been all the more important. Starting with non-conference scheduling, it’s clear that playing Georgetown is greeted with greater fanfare compared to just any other run-of-the-mill mid-major.

While playing Georgetown does relinquish an opportunity for a home game every other year for Syracuse, the road game does mesh nicely with the ACC/Big Ten Challenge in that the Orange have built in a true road game in its non-conference schedule every year.

Reid-Ducharme-1024x678.jpeg

Ryan Ducharme CREDIT BRANDON JENKINS/247SPORTS

SU Men’s Hoops’ 2023 Recruiting Strategy Appears To Be Shifting – Orange Fizz – Daily Syracuse Recruiting News & Team Coverage (orangefizz.net; Bainbridge)

Syracuse men’s basketball is just about to rev up its recruiting efforts this summer. With AAU ball and commitment season approaching, SU is on the home stretch of assembling its Class of 2023. If this summer is anything like the last, Jim Boeheim and company will go a long way in a short time to reverse their fortunes following last year’s disappointing 16-17 record.

At the time of this writing, Syracuse has yet to net a Class of ‘23 commit, but that’s the nature of the game. Expect more buzz and news as the summer goes along as high-profile players pursued by the Orange like Aden Holloway, Isaiah Miranda, and DJ Wagner make their collegiate choices.

Speaking of those names, it appears that SU’s recruiting focus is shifting from some previous targets to others. We wrote about the aforementioned Holloway some time ago on the Fizz, but it now appears that Boeheim and his staff are out of luck – Holloway has reportedly narrowed his final four choices to Tennessee, Auburn, Miami, and Wake Forest. ‘Cuse offered Holloway all the way back in 2019 and hung around in his commitment cycle for some time, but it looks like he’s headed elsewhere.

In his stead, Syracuse basketball now turns to two skilled shooters in the Class of ‘23: Reid Ducharme and Elmarko Jackson.

Ducharme, a 4-star 6’4” shooting guard/small forward out of Brewster Academy (NH), is regarded as one of the premier shooters in the class. Gerry McNamara has been credited with being heavily invested in the recruitment of Ducharme, who also possesses offers from Stanford, Providence, and Iowa. He received a Syracuse offer last August, and the Orange have hung around in his recruiting cycle long enough that Ducharme plans to visit in mid-June.

“It came down from coach Boeheim and it was after we had finished talking…I was really excited when I heard [him] say that because Syracuse is definitely a school I could see myself playing for. For it to come from a legendary coach like Boeheim was really cool.” (Reid Ducharme to SI.com’s Mike McAllister, 5/23/22)

Syracuse forward Jimmy Boeheim ready for anything after Knicks workout (kdhnews.com; Bondy)

It’s less stable but probably more exciting than the paths of his Cornell classmates.

“A lot of them are in the City doing stuff in finance. It’s good for them,” he said. “Right now I’m hoping I don’t’ have to use my degree for a while. I’m just enjoying this game, seeing how far it’ll take me.”

Jimmy, 24, a 6-foot-8 forward, is viewed as the lesser prospect of the Boeheim brothers, with Buddy, the younger sibling by 18 months, projected as a possible second-round pick because of a top-level 3-point shot.

The brothers were key contributors to Syracuse’s 16-17 season, which ended controversially for Buddy because he was suspended for the final game after hitting a Florida State player in the stomach.

Buddy previously worked out for the Knicks, according to college basketball reporter Adam Zagoria, and Jimmy said Thursday his game has benefitted from practicing with his brother.

“He’s a great shooter, for sure,” Jimmy said. “That’s been an area of focus to build on my shot. I’ve come a long way and it feels great right now. So it’s about continuing getting more consistent. It’s great when you can shoot with one of the best shooters in the country every day in my brother.”

Jimmy was forced to take a year off from basketball because the Ivy League shutdown its entire season of 2021-22 amid the pandemic. He then graduated from Cornell with a finance degree and transferred to Syracuse for his final year of eligibility, averaging 13.4 points over 33 games while proving capable of producing in a major conference.

He also had to learn a new name for his father.

“It was a little adjustment. I never really knew what to call him — Dad, coach,” Boeheim said. “It was weird to call him coach after calling him dad for so long. But it was awesome the moments we got to spend with one another.”

Jimmy Boeheim had worked out for a few NBA teams before Thursday but acknowledged a special affinity for the Knicks because they’re somewhat of a local team and Carmelo Anthony is an Orange legend.

Jim Boeheim, the Syracuse coach, is also close with Knicks coach Tom Thibodeau and both were assistants on the gold medal U.S. team at the 2016 Olympics.

So Thursday was an opportunity for Jimmy to impress in a 3-on-3 setting, and we’ll see if it leads to draft consideration or, more likely, a G League invite.

“I love basketball more than I ever have right now. I’m so into it, there’s no way I can give it up right now,” he said. “Whatever basketball throws at me — G league, NBA, overseas — whatever it may be, I’m ready and will attack it with all I got and continue to have fun and love the game.”

If nothing works out, Boeheim can always return to NYC on Wall Street.

Syracuse Basketball: In 2022-23 ACC rankings, SU hovers toward bottom (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball, a season ago, endured its first campaign under .500 in head coach Jim Boeheim’s 46 years guiding the Orange.

As we look ahead to the 2022-23 stanza, the ‘Cuse will have a vastly different roster comprised of several core returnees along with a bunch of incoming freshmen and a big-man transfer to round out Boeheim’s line-up.

I fully acknowledge that these sorts of projections for 2022-23 at this juncture are ridiculously early, but the statistical Web site barttorvik.com isn’t presently predicting all that rosy of an outlook for the Orange, at least for the time being.

The long and short is that within the Atlantic Coast Conference for the upcoming term, this Web site places Syracuse basketball in the league’s bottom-third. Yuck.

A statistics Web site predicts another losing season for Syracuse basketball.

The Orange is situated at No. 80 across the country, according to barttorvik.com, which predicts a 15-16 overall record for the ‘Cuse in 2022-23 to go along with a 9-11 mark in ACC competition.

In the conference power rankings, barttorvik.com has Syracuse basketball at No. 11 out of the 15-member league, just ahead of Louisville and directly behind Boston College.

Duke, unsurprisingly given its loaded 2022 recruiting class, sits at No. 1, followed by 2022 NCAA Tournament runner-up North Carolina, Virginia, Miami, Virginia Tech, Notre Dame, Clemson, Florida State, N.C. State, Boston College, Syracuse basketball, Louisville, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest and Pittsburgh.

The Blue Devils (No. 4), the Tar Heels (No. 6), the Cavaliers (No. 17) and the Hurricanes (No. 23) are all rated in the top-25 nationally, per barttorvik.com.

Kevin Flaherty, a national writer with 247Sports, noted these ACC power ratings from barttorvik.com in a recent article that he published.

In his story, when discussing the Orange, Flaherty wrote in part, “This is a strange Syracuse roster, one that has three likely senior starts, and yet a huge part of the roster coming from a six-man freshman class that includes three four-star players. Simply put, for this team to find success, the returning players need to be the best versions of themselves.”

Syracuse Basketball: 5-star Brewster wing’s recruitment is tough to gauge (itlh; Adler)

I don’t get the sense that Syracuse basketball is a major player in the recruitment of 2023 five-star guard/wing Matas Buzelis, but then again, national analysts are having a challenging time themselves trying to decipher which suitors may be front-runners for the top-10 national prospect.

The 6-foot-10 Buzelis received a scholarship offer from the Orange in November of 2020, well before his national rankings soared and his list of offers significantly expanded.

The Gatorade Player of the Year in New Hampshire during his junior campaign in 2021-22 for the Brewster Academy in Wolfeboro, N.H., Buzelis has been playing quite well of late in AAU competitions for the Boston-based Expressions Elite Basketball in Nike’s EYBL league.

According to recruiting services, Buzelis holds around two-dozen scholarship offers from a range of high-major programs. He took official visits during his junior year to Kentucky, Wake Forest and Florida State.

Last September, Syracuse basketball coaches visited five-star Matas Buzelis.

As we’ve noted in the past, the Orange coaching staff has watched Buzelis and some of his prep-school teammates, such as four-star shooting guard Reid Ducharme, at the Brewster Academy.

In a recent piece, 247Sports national basketball director Eric Bossi mentioned a handful of teams that appear to be in the mix for Buzelis, including Florida State, Kentucky, North Carolina, Wake Forest and Arizona, along with the NBA’s G League.

But as Bossi and other national recruiting analysts have said, Buzelis is pretty tight-lipped about his recruiting process. According to Bossi’s article, Buzelis is likely to set up some additional visits in the future, but those trips may not occur until after the summer months.

Buzelis said in part to the 247Sports analyst, “I’m not really trying to let anything out. I don’t have other visits planned yet, I’m just focused on basketball. I’m just looking at the schools that have offered me.”

Syracuse One of 22 Cities With NBA Championship (SI; McAllister)

With the NBA Finals set to begin Thursday night between the Boston Celtics and Golden State Warriors, it is worth a reminder that even though the city has not had an NBA franchise since 1963, Syracuse remains one of 22 cities with an NBA championship. Many may not even realize that Syracuse once had a very successful professional basketball organization, the Syracuse Nationals, from 1946-1963. The team moved to Philadelphia in 1963 and became the 76ers. The Nats won the title in 1955, beating the Fort Wayne Pistons in the NBA Finals.

The other 21 cities with an NBA championships are Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Cleveland, Dallas, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, New York, Philadelphia, Portland, Rochester, San Antonio, San Francisco, Seattle, St. Louis, Toronto and Washington D.C.

The Baltimore Bullets won in 1948 when it was then known as the Basketball Association of America (BAA). Minneapolis is on the list as the home of the Lakers prior to moving to Los Angeles. The Rochester Royals won in 1951, and after a couple of stops in other cities, eventually became the Sacramento Kings. St. Louis won as the Hawks in 1958.

In 1946, the Syracuse Nationals was purchased by Danny Biasone for $5,000 as part of the National Basketball League (NBL). The NBL merged with the BAA in 1949 to form the NBA.

Syracuse Basketball: 4-star wing with ‘Cuse offer commits to Big Ten team (itlh; Adler)

Consensus four-star wing Gavin Griffiths, who held a Syracuse basketball offer and is one of the top shooters across the country in the rising senior class, is headed to the Big Ten Conference.

The 6-foot-7 shooting guard/small forward, who is rated as high as No. 15 nationally in the 2023 cycle according to the On3 recruiting service, announced his commitment to Rutgers on Thursday, according to media reports, including one from On3 national analyst Joe Tipton.

Griffiths, deemed by numerous recruiting Web sites as a top-30 overall player and a top-10 shooting guard/small forward in his class, is a huge pick-up for the Scarlet Knights.

Throughout his recruitment, he received around 20 scholarship offers from a range of high-major programs. The Orange coaching staff offered Griffiths in October of 2020, which was relatively early on in his recruiting process.

Syracuse basketball didn’t land four-star wing Gavin Griffiths, which is not a surprise.

Besides the ‘Cuse and Rutgers, Griffiths’ other offers included from Michigan, LSU, Alabama, Pittsburgh, Creighton, Virginia Tech, Penn State, Providence, Xavier, Kansas State, Connecticut, Iowa, Maryland, Dayton, Bryant, Fairfield, Hofstra, UMass and Siena.

According to reports, Griffiths made official visits to Iowa and Rutgers. He also reportedly took unofficial visits to UConn, Providence and Rutgers.

Other

Dinner at School & Vine Restaurant, Jamesville, N.Y.

A dollop of herbed ricotta cheese hides under shaved parmesan in the Italian sausage ravioli at School & Vine Restaurant, Jamesville, N.Y. (Jared Paventi | jaredpaventi@gmail.com)Jared Paventi | jaredpaventi@gma

Go for the marinara at School and Vine Kitchen & Bar...if you can find it (Dining Out Review) (PS; $; Paventi)

With the wealth of Italian restaurants dotting the Syracuse landscape, you will understand our surprise that one of the best restaurant marinara sauces in the area is at Jamesville’s School and Vine Kitchen & Bar.

Plum tomatoes don’t come into season locally until late summer, but the tomato flavors were so fresh that they could have been mistaken for being picked that morning. It’s a simple sauce containing tomatoes, garlic, herbs, onion and salt, but one that exceeded expectations. It wasn’t runny or soupy, but it wasn’t overcooked either. The tomato chunks were fork-tender and offered the slightest resistance when bitten.

In the Italian sausage ravioli ($18), it performs the role of foil to the robust fennel flavor of the sausage stuffed into each housemade ravioli. The generous portion of pasta is topped with a dollop of herbed ricotta cheese, adding a bit of creaminess and earthy flavor to the dish.

Tucked on a residential street in Jamesville, you might drive past School & Vine if you aren’t paying attention. I speak from experience. The vine-covered brick building that once housed a school — hence the name — looks like it should be on a college campus. Inside, the moderately sized dining room features wide-planed wood floors, exposed beams and rustic finishes, including large windows to bathe the space in light. Owners Dennis and Catherine Yost spent eight months converting the vacant building into a restaurant. Their son, also named Dennis, runs the kitchen.

The menu at School & Vine is upscale American with distinct Italian and Asian influences. The ravioli is one of eight pasta dishes on the menu. The Asian influences are felt primarily in the appetizers.

Last edited:
ea76334a-968b-4d73-9af4-06aa2827e561-02_XXX_simpsons-homer-donut-5645-.JPG

Welcome to National Doughnut Day!

National Doughnut Day, also known as National Donut Day, is an annual event that was started by the Chicago branch of the Salvation Army, first being held in 1938. It was created to honor the "Lassies," "Doughnut Girls," or "Doughnut Dollies" who had served doughnuts to servicemen in Europe during World War I. The aim of the day was also to be a fundraiser for Chicago's Salvation Army, in order to help the many people who were suffering on account of the Great Depression.

During World War I, the Salvation Army sent about 250 women volunteers who became known as "Doughnut Dollies" to France. They worked in "huts" near the front lines, where baked goods, supplies, and stamps were available, as were services for mending clothes. As it was hard to get most fresh baked goods this close to the front lines, doughnuts were chosen. At times they were even fried in helmets! The Salvation Army reintroduced the giving out of doughnuts during World War II, and members of the Red Cross gave them out as well. Today, the day is still a fundraiser for the Salvation Army in many places, and the organization teams up with various doughnut shops on the day. Some places also give out free doughnuts today.

SU News

usa_today_17263023.0.jpg

Rich Barnes-USA TODAY Sports

Who should be Syracuse men’s basketball’s 2022 Big Ten opponent? (TNIAAM; Ostrowski)

The Syracuse Orange continue to fill up their schedule with non-conference opponents, but one foe that they have yet to announce is a team from the Big Ten. The tenth annual ACC/Big Ten Challenge will take place in December, with matchups expected to be unveiled later this month. Since Syracuse hosted Indiana last year, this season’s game will probably be on the road, though there’s no guarantee since some teams play at home two years in a row to swap out opponents. Mike Waters from Syracuse.com did a breakdown of likely opponents, but these are the matchups that I think make sense for SU:

Northwestern

This contest is long overdue as the two schools faced off only once, all the way back in 1965. While Syracuse and Northwestern battle it out on the court, students from Newhouse and Medill - two of the nation’s best journalism schools - would also fight on the sidelines to provide the best coverage of the game. Throw an alum from each in the broadcast booth for the national telecast and you’re good to go. This was a big deal in 2012 for football and I expect it to be the same now for hoops. It also helps that the Wildcats fared about the same as the Orange last year, going 15-16.

Indiana

These two teams faced each other last season in a triple-overtime thriller, so why not run it back and schedule a round two? I know this isn’t exactly a favorable matchup, with the Hoosiers on preseason Top-25 charts, but I do think the Orange need at least one challenging non-conference game to keep them on their toes and get ready for the always-difficult ACC lineup. Plus their one big weakness was shooting 3s, which works out great for the ‘Cuse since they couldn’t guard the perimeter at all last year. SU is 6-1 against Indiana all-time, with their only loss being the teams’ inaugural matchup in 1987.

Iowa

The Hawkeyes are another challenging opponent for the Orange. They’re coming off a ranked season but lost some of their top talent from last year. The teams played in the Dome in 2019 so a trip to the field court of dreams is in order. Not only does this check off the box for one challenging non-conference opponent, but it’s also more likely than an Indiana rematch.

Nebraska

If SU’s goal is to ease in the freshman as much as possible, then this is their best bet. The Cornhuskers were dead last in the Big Ten last year and are the closest thing to a gimme game the Big Ten will present this year. They’re also pursuing Associate HC Adrian Autry’s son, a 3-star SG named Trey which would add one interesting angle to this pairing.

Two other Big Ten teams who were home last year could also make sense as Syracuse opponents, if they end up with another home game.

Maryland

Both schools have historically good basketball programs that are coming off unexpected losing seasons - their firsts in a long time. The Terps are conveniently located near the Baltimore/D.C. metro area, a huge recruiting pipeline across multiple SU sports. And these two schools have some playoff history, having faced each other in both the NIT and NCAA tournament twice. You could also go back to the journalism angle and sub in Merrill for Medill. The Mike Tirico and Scott Van Pelt reunion?

‎ESPN Syracuse: 30 Minutes In Orange Nation 6-2 on Apple Podcasts (apple.com; radio; Steve & Paulie)

Steve and Paulie assess a hot take from Chris Canty involving Jayson Tatum's place on the NBA totem pole. Then, Syracuse.com's Mike Curtis joins the guys to share who he believes will elevate their games the most this year for Syracuse Men's Basketball. Later, the guys create stakes for Jordan's Wildcat wing eating challenge tomorrow at Taste of Syracuse.

Listen to Locked On Syracuse - Daily Podcast On Syracuse Orange Football & Basketball on TuneIn (tunein.com; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

Syracuse basketball has a lot to prove with three of the top four scorers from last year pursuing the professional ranks. Brad Klein and Matt Bonaparte debate which remaining players have the most pressure to step up. Benny Williams, Symir Torrence, Jesse Edwards, and Joe Girard will all undoubtedly be looked upon for returning leadership as the loaded freshman Class of 2022 rolls in.

Is Syracuse vs. Georgetown still worthwhile? (TNIAAM; Szuba)

The Syracuse Orange men’s basketball program announced on Tuesday that it will host Georgetown this upcoming season on Dec. 10, thus continuing the series and the longstanding rivalry.

Although the rivalry was once heated in the old Big East days, the stakes feel smaller than they used to. In large part, that’s because they are. It’s impossible for the series to mean as much in the current iteration without conference implications, multiple meetings per year and of course, the chance of meeting in a win or go home conference tournament at Madison Square Garden.

The rivalry has leaned heavily into tradition to this point and younger fans haven’t exactly bought into the hype. Why should they? Plenty of ink has been spilled on the state of the rivalry and nobody is fooling anyone in saying this still feels the same. So yes, this isn’t your father’s Syracuse vs. Georgetown game. But the question at this point is whether or not the game still makes sense on Syracuse’s schedule.

Syracuse is just 3-4 in the series since leaving the Big East and could be just one Tyus Battle away from being 1-6. For a program that’s by and large been on the bubble in that stretch, non-conference wins have been all the more important. Starting with non-conference scheduling, it’s clear that playing Georgetown is greeted with greater fanfare compared to just any other run-of-the-mill mid-major.

While playing Georgetown does relinquish an opportunity for a home game every other year for Syracuse, the road game does mesh nicely with the ACC/Big Ten Challenge in that the Orange have built in a true road game in its non-conference schedule every year.

Reid-Ducharme-1024x678.jpeg

Ryan Ducharme CREDIT BRANDON JENKINS/247SPORTS

SU Men’s Hoops’ 2023 Recruiting Strategy Appears To Be Shifting – Orange Fizz – Daily Syracuse Recruiting News & Team Coverage (orangefizz.net; Bainbridge)

Syracuse men’s basketball is just about to rev up its recruiting efforts this summer. With AAU ball and commitment season approaching, SU is on the home stretch of assembling its Class of 2023. If this summer is anything like the last, Jim Boeheim and company will go a long way in a short time to reverse their fortunes following last year’s disappointing 16-17 record.

At the time of this writing, Syracuse has yet to net a Class of ‘23 commit, but that’s the nature of the game. Expect more buzz and news as the summer goes along as high-profile players pursued by the Orange like Aden Holloway, Isaiah Miranda, and DJ Wagner make their collegiate choices.

Speaking of those names, it appears that SU’s recruiting focus is shifting from some previous targets to others. We wrote about the aforementioned Holloway some time ago on the Fizz, but it now appears that Boeheim and his staff are out of luck – Holloway has reportedly narrowed his final four choices to Tennessee, Auburn, Miami, and Wake Forest. ‘Cuse offered Holloway all the way back in 2019 and hung around in his commitment cycle for some time, but it looks like he’s headed elsewhere.

In his stead, Syracuse basketball now turns to two skilled shooters in the Class of ‘23: Reid Ducharme and Elmarko Jackson.

Ducharme, a 4-star 6’4” shooting guard/small forward out of Brewster Academy (NH), is regarded as one of the premier shooters in the class. Gerry McNamara has been credited with being heavily invested in the recruitment of Ducharme, who also possesses offers from Stanford, Providence, and Iowa. He received a Syracuse offer last August, and the Orange have hung around in his recruiting cycle long enough that Ducharme plans to visit in mid-June.

Syracuse forward Jimmy Boeheim ready for anything after Knicks workout (kdhnews.com; Bondy)

It’s less stable but probably more exciting than the paths of his Cornell classmates.

“A lot of them are in the City doing stuff in finance. It’s good for them,” he said. “Right now I’m hoping I don’t’ have to use my degree for a while. I’m just enjoying this game, seeing how far it’ll take me.”

Jimmy, 24, a 6-foot-8 forward, is viewed as the lesser prospect of the Boeheim brothers, with Buddy, the younger sibling by 18 months, projected as a possible second-round pick because of a top-level 3-point shot.

The brothers were key contributors to Syracuse’s 16-17 season, which ended controversially for Buddy because he was suspended for the final game after hitting a Florida State player in the stomach.

Buddy previously worked out for the Knicks, according to college basketball reporter Adam Zagoria, and Jimmy said Thursday his game has benefitted from practicing with his brother.

“He’s a great shooter, for sure,” Jimmy said. “That’s been an area of focus to build on my shot. I’ve come a long way and it feels great right now. So it’s about continuing getting more consistent. It’s great when you can shoot with one of the best shooters in the country every day in my brother.”

Jimmy was forced to take a year off from basketball because the Ivy League shutdown its entire season of 2021-22 amid the pandemic. He then graduated from Cornell with a finance degree and transferred to Syracuse for his final year of eligibility, averaging 13.4 points over 33 games while proving capable of producing in a major conference.

He also had to learn a new name for his father.

“It was a little adjustment. I never really knew what to call him — Dad, coach,” Boeheim said. “It was weird to call him coach after calling him dad for so long. But it was awesome the moments we got to spend with one another.”

Jimmy Boeheim had worked out for a few NBA teams before Thursday but acknowledged a special affinity for the Knicks because they’re somewhat of a local team and Carmelo Anthony is an Orange legend.

Jim Boeheim, the Syracuse coach, is also close with Knicks coach Tom Thibodeau and both were assistants on the gold medal U.S. team at the 2016 Olympics.

So Thursday was an opportunity for Jimmy to impress in a 3-on-3 setting, and we’ll see if it leads to draft consideration or, more likely, a G League invite.

“I love basketball more than I ever have right now. I’m so into it, there’s no way I can give it up right now,” he said. “Whatever basketball throws at me — G league, NBA, overseas — whatever it may be, I’m ready and will attack it with all I got and continue to have fun and love the game.”

If nothing works out, Boeheim can always return to NYC on Wall Street.

Syracuse Basketball: In 2022-23 ACC rankings, SU hovers toward bottom (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball, a season ago, endured its first campaign under .500 in head coach Jim Boeheim’s 46 years guiding the Orange.

As we look ahead to the 2022-23 stanza, the ‘Cuse will have a vastly different roster comprised of several core returnees along with a bunch of incoming freshmen and a big-man transfer to round out Boeheim’s line-up.

I fully acknowledge that these sorts of projections for 2022-23 at this juncture are ridiculously early, but the statistical Web site barttorvik.com isn’t presently predicting all that rosy of an outlook for the Orange, at least for the time being.

The long and short is that within the Atlantic Coast Conference for the upcoming term, this Web site places Syracuse basketball in the league’s bottom-third. Yuck.

A statistics Web site predicts another losing season for Syracuse basketball.

The Orange is situated at No. 80 across the country, according to barttorvik.com, which predicts a 15-16 overall record for the ‘Cuse in 2022-23 to go along with a 9-11 mark in ACC competition.

In the conference power rankings, barttorvik.com has Syracuse basketball at No. 11 out of the 15-member league, just ahead of Louisville and directly behind Boston College.

Duke, unsurprisingly given its loaded 2022 recruiting class, sits at No. 1, followed by 2022 NCAA Tournament runner-up North Carolina, Virginia, Miami, Virginia Tech, Notre Dame, Clemson, Florida State, N.C. State, Boston College, Syracuse basketball, Louisville, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest and Pittsburgh.

The Blue Devils (No. 4), the Tar Heels (No. 6), the Cavaliers (No. 17) and the Hurricanes (No. 23) are all rated in the top-25 nationally, per barttorvik.com.

Kevin Flaherty, a national writer with 247Sports, noted these ACC power ratings from barttorvik.com in a recent article that he published.

Syracuse Basketball: 5-star Brewster wing’s recruitment is tough to gauge (itlh; Adler)

I don’t get the sense that Syracuse basketball is a major player in the recruitment of 2023 five-star guard/wing Matas Buzelis, but then again, national analysts are having a challenging time themselves trying to decipher which suitors may be front-runners for the top-10 national prospect.

The 6-foot-10 Buzelis received a scholarship offer from the Orange in November of 2020, well before his national rankings soared and his list of offers significantly expanded.

The Gatorade Player of the Year in New Hampshire during his junior campaign in 2021-22 for the Brewster Academy in Wolfeboro, N.H., Buzelis has been playing quite well of late in AAU competitions for the Boston-based Expressions Elite Basketball in Nike’s EYBL league.

According to recruiting services, Buzelis holds around two-dozen scholarship offers from a range of high-major programs. He took official visits during his junior year to Kentucky, Wake Forest and Florida State.

Last September, Syracuse basketball coaches visited five-star Matas Buzelis.

As we’ve noted in the past, the Orange coaching staff has watched Buzelis and some of his prep-school teammates, such as four-star shooting guard Reid Ducharme, at the Brewster Academy.

In a recent piece, 247Sports national basketball director Eric Bossi mentioned a handful of teams that appear to be in the mix for Buzelis, including Florida State, Kentucky, North Carolina, Wake Forest and Arizona, along with the NBA’s G League.

But as Bossi and other national recruiting analysts have said, Buzelis is pretty tight-lipped about his recruiting process. According to Bossi’s article, Buzelis is likely to set up some additional visits in the future, but those trips may not occur until after the summer months.

Syracuse One of 22 Cities With NBA Championship (SI; McAllister)

With the NBA Finals set to begin Thursday night between the Boston Celtics and Golden State Warriors, it is worth a reminder that even though the city has not had an NBA franchise since 1963, Syracuse remains one of 22 cities with an NBA championship. Many may not even realize that Syracuse once had a very successful professional basketball organization, the Syracuse Nationals, from 1946-1963. The team moved to Philadelphia in 1963 and became the 76ers. The Nats won the title in 1955, beating the Fort Wayne Pistons in the NBA Finals.

The other 21 cities with an NBA championships are Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Cleveland, Dallas, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, New York, Philadelphia, Portland, Rochester, San Antonio, San Francisco, Seattle, St. Louis, Toronto and Washington D.C.

The Baltimore Bullets won in 1948 when it was then known as the Basketball Association of America (BAA). Minneapolis is on the list as the home of the Lakers prior to moving to Los Angeles. The Rochester Royals won in 1951, and after a couple of stops in other cities, eventually became the Sacramento Kings. St. Louis won as the Hawks in 1958.

In 1946, the Syracuse Nationals was purchased by Danny Biasone for $5,000 as part of the National Basketball League (NBL). The NBL merged with the BAA in 1949 to form the NBA.

Syracuse Basketball: 4-star wing with ‘Cuse offer commits to Big Ten team (itlh; Adler)

Consensus four-star wing Gavin Griffiths, who held a Syracuse basketball offer and is one of the top shooters across the country in the rising senior class, is headed to the Big Ten Conference.

The 6-foot-7 shooting guard/small forward, who is rated as high as No. 15 nationally in the 2023 cycle according to the On3 recruiting service, announced his commitment to Rutgers on Thursday, according to media reports, including one from On3 national analyst Joe Tipton.

Griffiths, deemed by numerous recruiting Web sites as a top-30 overall player and a top-10 shooting guard/small forward in his class, is a huge pick-up for the Scarlet Knights.

Throughout his recruitment, he received around 20 scholarship offers from a range of high-major programs. The Orange coaching staff offered Griffiths in October of 2020, which was relatively early on in his recruiting process.

Syracuse basketball didn’t land four-star wing Gavin Griffiths, which is not a surprise.

Besides the ‘Cuse and Rutgers, Griffiths’ other offers included from Michigan, LSU, Alabama, Pittsburgh, Creighton, Virginia Tech, Penn State, Providence, Xavier, Kansas State, Connecticut, Iowa, Maryland, Dayton, Bryant, Fairfield, Hofstra, UMass and Siena.

According to reports, Griffiths made official visits to Iowa and Rutgers. He also reportedly took unofficial visits to UConn, Providence and Rutgers.

Other

Dinner at School & Vine Restaurant, Jamesville, N.Y.

A dollop of herbed ricotta cheese hides under shaved parmesan in the Italian sausage ravioli at School & Vine Restaurant, Jamesville, N.Y. (Jared Paventi | jaredpaventi@gmail.com)Jared Paventi | jaredpaventi@gma

Go for the marinara at School and Vine Kitchen & Bar...if you can find it (Dining Out Review) (PS; $; Paventi)

With the wealth of Italian restaurants dotting the Syracuse landscape, you will understand our surprise that one of the best restaurant marinara sauces in the area is at Jamesville’s School and Vine Kitchen & Bar.

Plum tomatoes don’t come into season locally until late summer, but the tomato flavors were so fresh that they could have been mistaken for being picked that morning. It’s a simple sauce containing tomatoes, garlic, herbs, onion and salt, but one that exceeded expectations. It wasn’t runny or soupy, but it wasn’t overcooked either. The tomato chunks were fork-tender and offered the slightest resistance when bitten.

In the Italian sausage ravioli ($18), it performs the role of foil to the robust fennel flavor of the sausage stuffed into each housemade ravioli. The generous portion of pasta is topped with a dollop of herbed ricotta cheese, adding a bit of creaminess and earthy flavor to the dish.

Tucked on a residential street in Jamesville, you might drive past School & Vine if you aren’t paying attention. I speak from experience. The vine-covered brick building that once housed a school — hence the name — looks like it should be on a college campus. Inside, the moderately sized dining room features wide-planed wood floors, exposed beams and rustic finishes, including large windows to bathe the space in light. Owners Dennis and Catherine Yost spent eight months converting the vacant building into a restaurant. Their son, also named Dennis, runs the kitchen.

The menu at School & Vine is upscale American with distinct Italian and Asian influences. The ravioli is one of eight pasta dishes on the menu. The Asian influences are felt primarily in the appetizers.
not to disrespect them too much, because I think they mean well - and certainly not meant as a knock on you tomcat for sharing/posting their stuff - but man that 'itlh' (Inside the Loud House) is pretty much just regurgitated clickbait, kind of shameless really (and annoying if you follow on twitter)