Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Video-Game-Day_2021-700x484.png
Welcome to National Video Games Day!

There are many ways video games can be played—on arcade games, home consoles, handheld consoles, or mobile devices—and their popularity has not waned since they went on the market in the 1970s. Video Games Day dates back to 1991 when it began being held each July. It was listed in Chase's Calendar of Events and was initially sponsored by David Earle of "Kid Vid Warriors" or "Kid Video Warriors." In 1996, it began being observed in September, and by the following year, David Earle's name was no longer associated with the holiday. Some holiday websites list a video game holiday in July and September, but only the September holiday is correct.

Scientists in the 1950s and '60s experimented with the creation of games that were the forerunners of video games. The first commercial arcade game, Computer Space, was released in 1971 by Nutting Associates. Its two creators, Nolan Bushnell and Ted Dabney, went on to create Atari. They released the arcade game Pong in 1972.

SU News

1662983992075.jpeg

Twitter

Good visit may put Syracuse basketball in lead with 4-star guard, per report (itlh; Adler)

In the coming days, 2023 four-star guard Mike Williams from Maryland will take an official visit to Syracuse basketball, and an expert says this trip to the Hill is critically important in Williams’ current recruiting process.

The 6-foot-4 Williams, who recently vaulted into the top 100 per 247Sports and has seen his stock soar lately amid excellent performances in grassroots basketball, was offered a scholarship by the Orange coaching staff at the end of July.

As we’ve noted in recent columns, according to recruiting services and other sources, the ‘Cuse has offered more than 20 players in the senior class, and the team is still looking for its first commitment in the 2023 cycle.

A recent article from basketball recruiting director Rob Cassidy suggests that Syracuse basketball is firmly in the mix for Williams, who has landed around 20 offers in total and is a senior at the Bishop Walsh School in Cumberland, Md.

Syracuse Basketball: 4-star priority PG from Philly makes college choice (itlh; Adler)

In no way, shape or form am I surprised that Syracuse basketball priority recruiting target Robert Wright III from Philadelphia has verbally committed to Baylor.

The Bears captured the 2021 NCAA championship. Over the past three seasons, Baylor has proven one of the best, if not the best, college squad nationwide.

Scott Drew, the Bears’ head coach, has done a terrific job in building up the Baylor program, and he’s an ace recruiter. The 6-foot-1 Wright, a 2024 four-star point guard, verbally committed to a top-notch group on Friday.

Sic’Em 110% committed @BaylorMBB @jaydoefilms pic.twitter.com/ltwXFKdqoy
— Robert Wright III (@robertwr1ght) September 9, 2022

What did surprise me, at least a little bit, is the timing of Wright’s commitment announcement. I say this because, as a member of the 2024 cycle, he is entering his junior year of high school, and I assumed (incorrectly) that his recruitment still had a long way to go.

Syracuse basketball has missed out on 2024 four-star point guard Robert Wright III.

I’m a big fan of Wright. He has a great work ethic, is confident yet humble, and has evolved into one of the top prospects in the junior class.

Other

R3I24L54LVDEFMPKG2TZZJWK2I.jpg

The new Indian Castle Service Area on Interstate 90 east between Exit 29A (Little Falls) and Exit 29 (Canajoharie) reopened at the end of August 2022. Photos provided by the Thruway Authority, courtesy of Applegreen

When are Shake Shack, Chick-fil-A opening on NYS Thruway? (PS; House)

When will Shake Shack finally open on the New York State Thruway in Upstate New York?

How about Chick-fil-A? Or Panda Express?

Those are questions curious travelers traversing Interstate 90 have been asking as crews work hard to revamp — and in most cases, completely rebuild — the Thruway’s 27 aged service areas as part of a $450 million project. All but five of the rest stops are Upstate.

One reconstructed service area recently reopened. Another is set to open in the next week. And a third — one that features the first Shake Shack in Upstate — is slated to debut at the end of September.

Here’s an update on the Thruway rest stop renovations in Upstate New York, along with a breakdown of when the most anticipated new restaurants are slated to open.

Finished (or nearly finished) service areas

First revamped New York State Thruway rest stop opens

The new Indian Castle Service Area on Interstate 90 east between Exit 29A (Little Falls) and Exit 29 (Canajoharie) reopened at the end of August 2022. Photos provided by the Thruway Authority, courtesy of Applegreen

The Indian Castle Service Area reopened at the end of August. It’s located on I-90 east between Exit 29A (Little Falls) and Exit 29 (Canajoharie) on the outskirts of Central New York.

The new Indian Castle features Popeyes and Starbucks. It also has an Applegreen Market Store, a shop that will be included in every Thruway rest stop.

Another CNY rest area is likely days from reopening.

The Chittenango Service Area on I-90 west is scheduled to open within the next week, pending “a few checks and balances,” a New York State Thruway Authority spokesman said. The westbound rest stop is between Exit 34 (Canastota) and Exit 34A (Syracuse I-481).

The Chittenango rest stop will feature Chick-fil-A and Starbucks, along with Applegreen and Taste NY food and drinks.

A third rest stop is expected to open by the end of this month. And it will include one of the Thruway’s most highly anticipated new restaurants.

The Junius Ponds Service Area will be home to the first Shake Shack in Upstate, the Thruway spokesman said. The westbound rest stop in the Finger Lakes is scheduled to open before September ends.

Junius Ponds, located between Exit 41 (Waterloo) and Exit 42 (Geneva), will also feature Starbucks.