Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
14707949_10155397047728840_3078261460747111439_o.png
Welcome to National Spirit Day!

National Spirit Day, the most prominent day of support for LGBTQ youth, was started in 2010 by Brittany McMillan, who wanted to take a stand against bullying and remember gay teens who had died by suicide, in order to increase awareness and acceptance and to prevent more tragedies. This was at a time of heightened media focus on the suicides of gay teens, and the death of Tyler Clementi directly inspired the creation of the holiday. The day is led by GLAAD, who on the first year helped to get teachers, students, workplaces, media outlets, and celebrities to wear purple and to "go purple" on social media. Today, participants include a wide range of people and groups—schools, students, and parents; corporations and organizations; media professionals; celebrities; faith groups; sports groups; and more. The day is held on the third Thursday in October each year, during National Bullying Prevention Month.

SU News

AFOZOMPUDFB4JBZBAOS2JGVBQA.jpg

Syracuse Orange forward Chris Bunch (0) The Syracuse men’s and women’s basketball teams scrimmaged at the JMA Wireless Dome in a preseason tune-up in front of the Orange fans. The day included a dunk contest and the 3-point shooting showdown. Dennis Nett | dnett@syracuse.com

Who will be in SU's starting lineup for season-opener? (Mike’s Mailbox) (PS; $; Waters)

The Syracuse Orange basketball team will take the court against real opponents soon with the first of two exhibitions coming up on Tuesday, Oct. 25 and the season-opener vs. Lehigh on Nov. 7.

But which Syracuse players will first take the court when the ball goes up on Opening Night?

That’s an interesting question given that SU coach Jim Boeheim returns just two starters from last year’s team. And, for that reason, the question leads off this week’s Mike’s Mailbox.

If you have any college basketball-related questions, please email to mwaters@syracuse.com.

Q: What do you think the starting lineup will be on Opening Night?

Turbo Bocce on Twitter

Mike:
I’m very interested in seeing who Jim Boeheim decides to start in the two exhibition games leading up to the regular-season opener against Lehigh on Nov. 7.

In watching the team’s two scrimmages, I think it’s obvious senior Joe Girard and freshman Judah Mintz are the starters in the backcourt. Jesse Edwards returns to start at center.

That leaves the two forward spots. I think sophomore Benny Williams will get the first shot as the starting power forward, but Boeheim has mentioned on a couple of occasions that freshman Maliq Brown is pushing Williams at that position.

At the other forward spot, Boeheim has said either Chris Bunch or Justin Taylor will start and the other becomes the Orange’s de facto sixth man. For now, I’m thinking Bunch gets the nod based on his play in both exhibition games when he knocked down several open 3-pointers.

Syracuse men’s basketball: talking about NCAA Tournament expansion and summer games (TNIAAM; Wall)

Syracuse Orange head coach Jim Boeheim isn’t the only one talking about expanding the NCAA MBB Tournament, but he might be the only one who has been saying it for decades.

“Well, I had that idea 30 years ago,’’ Boeheim said. “I’ve been knocked down every year I ever brought it up. I stopped bringing it up. Everybody thought I was an idiot. It took 30 years, but I guess I’m maybe right now, huh?’’
It might be pre-season but Boeheim’s snark never takes a day off. The HOF coach added that now there are “150 good teams for only 68 spots” and while that’s probably another addition to our Heim-perbole file, the sentiment is correct. Yes, good teams are left out of the NCAA Tournament, but who are they seems to be the bigger question.

The money will dictate that the Tournament will expand in the near future, that’s inevitable. If it’s expanding it should increase opportunities for mid-major conferences and not just provide more spots for P6 (Big East fits for hoops) teams with .500 records. It does seem as though the ACC is only committed to holding the automatic bids for those leagues, which is probably the stance for every P5 league.

“My perspective and our perspective of the ACC, not interested in cutting back those AQs,’’ Phillips said, referring to the automatic qualifiers. “Those AQs matter. That’s part of the broad-based opportunities we have in Division I sports is the lower resource conferences and the higher resource conferences can all gain access.’’

One interesting idea that circulated on Twitter had the Tournament moving to 80 teams in a way that would protect the auto-bids and allow for a focus on making sure teams with good regular seasons were included in the field. This would lead to more play-in games to get to the 64 we’re used to seeing.

48 teams go straight to the Field of 64™ (32 autos + top 16 at-larges - rewards champs & season-long excellence)
32 teams play one game the first wknd to make Field of 64™ (remaining at-larges + solo reg season champs of confs that won a Field of 64™ game in the last 5 years) https://t.co/qQDUQ0eCBS
— Ken Pomeroy (@kenpomeroy) October 13, 2022

600.jpeg

Syracuse looks to rebound after Boeheim's 1st losing season (AP; Kekis)

Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim won’t forget last season, and not because it was the only losing one in more than four decades on the job at his alma mater.

He coached his two sons — Buddy and Jimmy — and said that was the most enjoyable of his 46 seasons in spite of the record (16-17, 9-11 Atlantic Coast Conference).

“It was great coaching them,” said Boeheim, who turns 78 in November. “I miss them.”

The Boeheim brothers and swingman Cole Swider have moved on, and their offensive contributions were significant. The trio combined to average nearly 47 points a game and made 205 3-pointers. The Orange, who averaged 77.4 points, return two starters — guard Joe Girard and center Jesse Edwards — along with guard Symir Torrence and forward John Bol AJak to help guide six incoming freshmen.

“I like this team in the sense that we may not shoot it as well as we did last year ... but we’ve got guys that can get to the basket better and I think maybe get to the foul line better, so I think our offense will be different,” Boeheim said. “I think it can still be very high level.”

Girard will move from point guard to shooting guard, replacing Buddy Boeheim, who averaged 19.2 points in his final year. Girard averaged 13.8 points and led the Orange with 89 3-pointers, shooting a team-best 40.3%.
https://apnews.com/article/sports-s...eon-maryland-96d73480c088556c56589ee81af62f25

As the new season looms, the disappointment of not making the NCAA Tournament is still on players’ minds.

“We’ve been using that motivation every day in practices,” Girard said. “In every single drill and every single rep, the coaches are getting on us and making sure we’re going 110% just because of the way things went last year. They want to make sure there’s no chance of that happening this year.”

Boeheim said the six freshmen — guards Judah Mintz, Justin Taylor and Quadir Copeland, forwards Maliq Brown and Chris Bunch, and center Peter Carey — and Duquesne transfer Mounir Hima, a 6-foot-11 forward, will play.

“They’ve been really good so far, all the new guys,” Boeheim said. “Their mindset is in the right place.”

BENNY’S BACK

Highly touted forward Benny Williams had a disappointing first season, scoring just 56 points in 333 minutes over 29 games. But he gave a glimpse of his talent at home against Duke in February, scoring 14 points and snaring six rebounds in 30 minutes. That he came back says a lot.

MBB: 2022-23 Preseason ACC Predictions (RX; HM)

MBB: 2022-23 Preseason ACC Predictions

The 2022 ACC Tip-Off was last week, and there was a vote on the predicted finish:

Official 2022 Preseason Predicted Order of Finish for ACC Men's Basketball! ⤵️

: North Carolina Picked as Preseason ACC Men’s Basketball Favorite pic.twitter.com/f9IOOdDgeA
— ACC Men's Basketball (@accmbb) October 18, 2022

Anyone besides me find it ironic that the defending ACC champs are picked to finish 7th? Seems a bit low - but then, the Hokies got zero respect before they won the ACC, too, so I guess they'll have to prove it again...

Defending #ACCMBB champs ready for another run at the
title @HokiesMBB x #ACCTipoff pic.twitter.com/2OGYpCUcUb
— ACC Men's Basketball (@accmbb) October 12, 2022

Other

QPZQJTPLARHK5ADMUID4WPABZA.jpg

This aerial photo shows the Onondaga County-owned land north of NY State Route 31 in Clay where Micron Technology plans to build up to four chip fabs. County officials are still shopping for additional parcels nearby. N. Scott Trimble | strimble@syracuse.com

Micron update: Onondaga County is still shopping for land near Clay fab site (PS' $; Knauss)

Onondaga County is negotiating to buy at least 25 acres near the site in Clay where Micron Technology plans to build a chip fab. On top of that, the county already has an option to acquire 125 acres across Route 31 from the Micron site, County Executive Ryan McMahon said.

County officials want to be able to accommodate suppliers that might decide to locate near White Pine Commerce Park, where Micron has promised to invest up to $100 billion building chip fabs over the next two decades, McMahon said.

In addition to the 1,400 acres that make up the county-owned White Pine site, county officials are still eyeing at least a few nearby parcels.

“We’ve identified land that, strategically, we’re interested in,’’ McMahon said Wednesday. “What we’re trying to do is pick off strategic property that we know will be important for us to secure future growth with the company and (its) supply chain.”

Over the past three years, the county spent roughly $25 million and acquired more than 1,000 acres to increase the size of White Pine Commerce Park to its current 1,400 acres.

Although Clay residents likely won’t see site work for months – and construction of the first planned chip fab is not expected before 2024 -- dozens of professionals are working behind the scenes to prepare for the Micron project. Teams from the county, National Grid and other parties are working with Micron to engineer the details of connecting electricity, gas, water and wastewater to the chip fab, McMahon said.

The county has hired engineering firm Ramboll as a site consultant and Spectra Engineering to work on environmental compliance. As part of the planning, the county industrial development agency has begun reviewing a general environmental impact statement completed last year to account for the specific details of Micron’s plan, McMahon said.

All told, the county executive estimated that more than 100 local professionals are working on various aspect of the Micron development.

Among the details to be worked out is how Micron’s planned chip fab will impact wetlands and how to mitigate the impacts. McMahon said the most likely strategy, at least for the first chip fab, will be to expand wetlands in the marshy northern part of the White Pine site to compensate for any loss of habitat from construction. Ultimately, state and/or federal officials would have to sign off on the wetlands plan.