Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to Pay-A-Compliment Day!

Pay-a-Compliment Day is for giving "genuine and soulful compliments" to others. It was created by Adrienne Koopersmith, on February 6, 1995. On that cold February day, Koopersmith was riding the bus in Chicago, when she noticed someone who wasn't at a bus stop was frantically waving at the bus she was on, hoping that it would stop; the bus driver stopped and let the person on. When Koopersmith exited the bus, she complimented the driver on how nice it was that he had stopped. Koopersmith then went home and decided to make the holiday. Since she was warmed by the bus driver's actions, she wanted that warmth to be part of each February 6 for years to come.

Dear reader, you are very good looking, and smarter than your average bear!

SU News

J45KFS4N4JCKXBEAMOPMKDONFQ.JPG

Syracuse Orange guard Judah Mintz (3) passes out of trouble against Boston College Eagles at Conte Forum, Chestnut Hill, MA, Saturday February 4, 2023. Scott Schild | sschild@syracuse.com Scott Schild | sschild@syracuse.com

Syracuse’s Judah Mintz responds to benching with stellar stretch run against Boston College: ‘It propelled us’ (PS; $; Waters)

Jim Boeheim sent a message to Judah Mintz when he took the freshman guard out of Syracuse’s game against Boston College on Saturday.

Boeheim had another message for Mintz when he sent him back into the game. Mintz received both messages loud and clear.

Mintz, who had struggled through the game’s first 30 minutes on Saturday, produced several key plays as Syracuse out-paced Boston College down the stretch for a 77-68 win at Conte Forum.

The first of Boeheim’s messages came when he summoned the young point guard to the bench with 16:28 left in the game after committing the basketball sin of not hustling back on defense.

“The reason I took him out the last time (is) he didn’t run back on defense,’’ Boeheim said. “It’s a fundamental thing you’ve got to do. The other time I took him out, he didn’t stop (Makai) Langford. Langford drove the length of the court and made a layup and (Mintz) is worrying about something that happened on offense. You can’t make those mistakes.’’

So Mintz would watch the next six and half minutes from the bench and the Orange and Eagles traded the lead back and forth with neither able to maintain control.

The score was tied at 55 when Boeheim sent Mintz to the scorer’s table with 9:53 remaining. As he did, Boeheim offered Mintz this message:

“Coach told me before he sent me back in that I could turn the game around,’’ Mintz recalled.

Jesse Edwards helps Syracuse close out Boston College (waer.org; Bridges)

During Syracuse men’s basketball’s three game losing streak, starting center Jesse Edwards was relatively quiet. The Dutchman averaged 10.3 points and 6.3 rebounds in those contests.

Edwards would have his hands full in a matchup with Boston College’s Quinten Post, one of the ACC’s premier big men. Jesse and Quinten were once teammates on the Netherlands national team and played club basketball together as well.

“To have the opportunity to play against each other, one on one, in the same position. It almost doesn’t feel real,” Edwards said after the battle.

The two big men traded blows back and forth as soon as the ball was tipped. Edwards tallied the team’s first four points for SU before Post completed a three-point play just a few minutes later.

The two centers would lead their teams in points at halftime as the Orange held a narrow 35-32 lead.

With 16:30 left to go in the second period, Post made a left handed hook shot over Edwards to give the Eagles the lead.

Syracuse Basketball: Two seniors, two freshmen lead charge in road win (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball entered its Atlantic Coast Conference clash at Boston College on Saturday night with the Orange struggling and the Eagles on a roll.

The ‘Cuse had lost three straight and four of its past five league encounters. Some SU fans have declared the 2022-23 season over for the Orange. Boston College, meanwhile, had triumphed in three of its last four contests, including a home victory against No. 20 and ACC standings’ leader Clemson a few days ago.

So when Boston College hosted Syracuse basketball on Saturday evening inside the Conte Forum in Chestnut Hill, Mass., it’s understandable that a lot of ‘Cuse fans weren’t overly optimistic about the Orange’s chances versus the Eagles.

Syracuse Basketball: Recruiting efforts, lately, are in a really strong groove (itlh; Adler)

It has been well-documented by myself and other Syracuse basketball writers that the Orange has had its share of struggles over the past year or so in the recruiting arena.

At the end of March in 2022, four-star guard Judah Mintz committed to the ‘Cuse, rounding out a solid six-member 2022 recruiting class for the Orange. The team also added a young big-man transfer last off-season.

But from late spring until only very recently, things had proven extremely quiet for Syracuse basketball on the recruiting front, frustrating many Orange fans.

The ‘Cuse, as I’ve reported on numerous occasions of late, has offered more than 20 guys in the 2023 class as well as at least 15 prospects in the 2024 cycle.

Syracuse basketball, these days, possesses a lot of positive recruiting developments.

The team’s 2023 class was always likely to be small, by design, but as tons of 2023 targets committed elsewhere in recent months, along with a few priority 2024 recruits, concern started to set in for me and other Orange fans.

From my perspective, that concern is acerbated by the uncertainty over when long-time head coach Jim Boeheim will retire, and who will replace him.

However, even with all of this as context, I’m pleased to share that as it relates to recruiting, there is buzz and excitement of late, fueled by the recent verbal commitment of 2024 four-star shooting guard Elijah Moore to the ‘Cuse.

National analysts said in the wake of Moore’s commitment to the Orange that Syracuse basketball now has a boost of recruiting momentum, and I wholeheartedly agree.

Four-star Marcus Adams Jr., a fast-rising small forward, recently put the ‘Cuse in his top five after taking an official visit to the Hill in late January. Businessman and top SU booster Adam Weitsman has a verbal agreement with Moore on a major NIL deal, and Weitsman also has a big NIL offer out to Adams for the 2023 class.

Personally, I feel that Syracuse basketball is in a great spot to land a verbal commitment from Adams in the near future for the 2023 cycle. To that end, 2023 big man William Patterson may reportedly take an official visit to Central New York later this month, per a recent tweet from SyracuseOnSI publisher Mike McAllister.

Eagles Can’t Overcome Syracuse’s Second 10–0 Run, Fall 77–68 — The Heights (bcheights.com; Bergamini)

In Boston College men’s basketball’s matchup against Syracuse on Saturday, the Eagles let up a 10–0 run about five minutes into the second half. BC faced a similar situation on Jan. 31 against No. 20 Clemson—the Tiger went on a 10–0 run, but BC recovered and went on to defeat Clemson 62–54.

BC (11–13, 5–8 Atlantic Coast) also managed to claw back against the Orange (14–10, 7–6) on Saturday, taking a 59–56 lead with 8:33 left to play. But unlike its performance against Clemson, the Eagles couldn’t finish when it mattered most, as a 10–0 Syracuse run proved too much to handle. Amid a sold-out Conte Forum, BC failed to convert down the stretch and dropped a 77–68 loss.

Justin Taylor’s third 3-pointer of the night capped off the Orange’s first run and extended Syracuse’s lead to 49–41. But fresh out of a BC timeout, Chas Kelley III—who subbed in for Jaeden Zackery due to foul trouble—and Makai Ashton-Langford nailed back-to-back shots at the 8:33 mark of the second half to gain a three-point advantage.

“I think we responded well,” BC head coach Earl Grant said of Syracuse’s first run.

Syracuse, however, took back the lead amid the second 10–0 run. And this time, the Eagles had no answer.

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/basketball/five-takeaways-syracuse-77-boston-college-68 (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse won at Boston College 77-68 Saturday night. Here are five takeaways from the victory.

1. Jesse Edwards

Edwards was nearly unguardable in this game. He finished with 27 points on 12-15 shooting to go along with seven rebounds and four blocks. Not only did he stay out of foul trouble for most of the game, but his offensive footwork was outstanding. His shot making was superb and Boston College had no answer for him all night. Perhaps this will spark a run of big games for the Orange big. Syracuse will need it given the schedule that is coming up.

2. Defense

The Syracuse zone had some stretches where it was really, really good. Rotating well, forcing turnovers, not giving Boston College any room to operate or looks at the basket. It also had stretches where it seemed to do the opposite. The Eagles made 11 threes, but shot right around its season average (31% vs 30%) and only shot 41.5% from the floor overall (down from its season average of 43%). Still, there were too many open shots at times, even if the game plan was to give them some of those because they are not a great shooting team. The stretches of strong defense were encouraging, but that needs to happen more often and against better teams.

usa_today_19922697.0.jpg

Brian Fluharty-USA TODAY Sports

Syracuse men’s basketball: three takeaways from the win over Boston College (TNIAAM; Wall)

It wasn’t pretty but the Syracuse Orange actually finished strong over the final minutes to take a 77-68 win over the Boston College Eagles.

The Orange are now 7-6 in ACC play so what did we take away from last night’s performance:

Dominant Dutch

Playing against his friend from Amsterdam, Jesse Edwards showed he was the best Post on the floor last night. Edwards had a career-high 27 points to go along with 7 rebounds and 4 blocks. He was only credited with one steal but it came in a critical point helping the Orange take the lead for good. On a night when the other Syracuse stars struggled to make shots, Edwards went 12 for 15 from the floor and kept the Orange from an embarrassing loss.

No defending that.

Jesse the flush gives Jesse 23 points.

ACCN pic.twitter.com/bYzeMrllij
— Syracuse Men’s Basketball (@Cuse_MBB) February 4, 2023

Justin Taylor provides a lift

The Orange picked a bad game to go cold from 3. With no one helping Jesse out in the first half, Justin Taylor provided strong minutes off the bench in this one. He made all three of his three-point attempts and they kept Syracuse within reach of the Eagles and didn’t allow the home crowd to get too energized.

Mintz closes it out

Judah Mintz came back into the game with 9:53 to play. In that final stretch he scored 8 of his 15 points, handed out 3 of his 5 assists and chipped in 2 of his 4 steals. He drew an offensive foul with active defensive movement and also set up his teammates with passes that led to free throws. He took control of the Syracuse offense and brought this game home like he was the college basketball version of Mariano Rivera quieting the Boston crowd.

ACC Power Rankings: The year of NIL has led to at least one season of parity (PS; $; Carlson)

The ACC action off the court might be more exciting than on it this week.

Thirteen of the ACC’s men’s basketball coaches are scheduled to participate in a regular-scheduled weekly teleconference on Monday. It seems almost certain that Jeff Capel, Steve Forbes and Jim Larranaga will be asked about Jim Boeheim’s accusations to ESPN that their rosters were bought.

According to ESPN, Boeheim backtracked from the comments about Pitt and Wake Forest shortly after they were published. The Nigel Pack/Isaiah Wong saga in Miami is well-known.

Still, it will be interesting to see how the three coaches respond.

On the court, the top of the ACC is filled with parity in the first full year in which Name, Image and Likeness payments have been allowed.

While the fear of a more top-heavy college sports landscape is a substantial fear for many fans with the increased ability to pay players, the first full year has led to an awfully competitive ACC instead.

Here’s how I’d rank the league.

1. Virginia

Record: 17-4 (9-1)
Last week’s ranking: 1
Last week’s results: Win 67-62 at Syracuse; Loss 74-68 at Virginia Tech
This week’s schedule: Tuesday vs. North Carolina State; Saturday vs. Duke
Why No. 1? Virginia didn’t have a great week. But who do you trust more?

2. North Carolina State

Record: 19-5 (9-4)
Last week’s ranking: 4
Last week’s results: Win 94-66 vs. Florida State; Win 72-64 vs. Georgia Tech
This week’s schedule: Tuesday at Virginia; Saturday at Boston College
Why No. 2? Maybe you trust Terquavion Smith, the ACC’s leading scorer. With the Wolfpack winning eight of their past nine, you’d have a good case.

3. Miami

Record: 18-5 (9-4)
Last week’s ranking: 6
Last week’s results: Win 92-83 vs. Virginia Tech; Win 78-74 at Clemson
This week’s schedule: Monday vs. Duke; Saturday vs. Louisville
Why No. 3? Maybe you trust Miami’s transfer tandem of Nijel Pack and Norchad Omier, both of whom signed NIL deals with super-booster John Ruiz and drew the biggest part of Boeheim’s ire.

4. Pittsburgh

Record: 16-7 (9-3)
Last week’s ranking: 7
Last week’s results: Win 65-64 at North Carolina
This week’s schedule: Tuesday vs. Louisville; Saturday at Florida State

Why No. 4? Taking care of business against two bottom-feeders could get Pitt to the top of the ACC this week.

5. Duke

Record: 17-6 (8-4)
Last week’s ranking: 5
Last week’s results: Win 75-73 vs. Wake Forest; Win 63-57 vs. North Carolina
This week’s schedule: Monday at Miami; Saturday at Virginia
Why No. 5? The emotional letdown after Duke-UNC is real. The Blue Devils can’t afford it against this schedule.

6. Clemson

Record: 18-6 (10-3)
Last week’s ranking: 3
Last week’s results: Loss 62-54 at Boston College; Loss 78-74 vs. Miami
This week’s schedule: Saturday at North Carolina
Why No. 6? The Tigers are leading the ACC, but their NCAA tournament resume has warts in the form of three losses in Quadrants 3 and 4.

7. North Carolina

Record: 15-8 (7-5)
Last week’s ranking: 2
Last week’s results: Loss 65-64 vs. Pittsburgh; Loss 63-57 at Duke
This week’s schedule: Tuesday at Wake Forest; Saturday vs. Clemson
Why No. 7? If you need evidence that NIL isn’t everything, Chapel Hill might be the place to look. The Tar Heels used money to keep last year’s national finalist largely intact. The bang hasn’t been worth the buck so far.

8. Virginia Tech

Record: 14-9 (4-8)
Last week’s ranking: 8
Last week’s results: Loss 92-83 at Miami; Win 74-68 vs. Virginia
This week’s schedule: Wednesday vs. Boston College; Saturday at Notre Dame
Why No. 8? The Hokies could be a really interesting case for the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee, which can give some grace for injuries. Virginia Tech went 0-4 without Hunter Catoor. The win over Virginia will provide a nice talking point.

9. Wake Forest

Record: 15-9 (7-6)
Last week’s ranking: 9
Last week’s results: Loss 75-73 at Duke; Win 81-64 at Notre Dame
This week’s schedule: Tuesday vs. North Carolina; Saturday vs. Georgia Tech
Why No. 9? Poor Wake Forest. The bubble team lost three consecutive important games by two points or less, then caught a stray from Boeheim.

10. Syracuse

Record: 14-10 (7-6)
Last week’s ranking: 10
Last week’s results: Loss 67-62 vs. Virginia; Win 77-68 at Boston College
This week’s schedule: Wednesday at Florida State
Why No. 10? The Orange won its 10th consecutive game against Boston College. It lost for the ninth time in 10 tries against Virginia. That just about sums things up the past six years.

Jim Boeheim 'probably' returning as Syracuse basketball coach for 2023-24 season (247sports.com; Salerno)

As Jim Boeheim mulls his Syracuse basketball coaching future, he "probably" will return for the 2023-24 season, the 78-year-old explained this weekend in an interview with ESPN. Boeheim, who has been at the helm for the Orange since 1976, opened up and detailed why he plans to return for his latest season.

"Listen, this has been the question of the day for 15 years," Boeheim said after Saturday's 77-68 win at Boston College. "This isn't a new question. It's just the calendar going, 'Well, he's 78.' It's just the calendar. If it wasn't the calendar, if I was 65, no one would be saying anything. And I'm not going to retire just because it's the calendar. Anything can happen. Anything, literally. We'll just see what happens. I don't say anything because I don't know.

"Ninety-five percent of Syracuse people want me to coach. Why wouldn't they? As bad as we've been the last two years, we were fun to watch last year and we're still fun to watch and we're still competing. We just played three of the top teams in the country to a standstill. If you're getting beat by 20 by those teams, then you say, 'OK, we'll see.'"

Ron Cook: Time for college coaches to ‘shut up and adjust’ (P-G; Cook)

This was almost a year ago, a time when the transfer portal and name, image and likeness deals were just gaining traction in college athletics.

“Coaches have got to stop complaining,” Notre Dame basketball coach Mike Brey said.

“This is the world we’re in and, last time I checked, we make pretty good money. So everybody should shut up and adjust.”

I thought about Brey and his wise words Sunday when I heard Syracuse’s Jim Boeheim had whined about how some of his ACC competitors had put college basketball in “an awful place …

“Pittsburgh bought a team,” Boeheim told ESPN. “OK, fine. My [big donor] talks about it, but he doesn’t give anyone any money. Nothing. Not one guy. Our guys make like $20,000. Wake Forest bought a team. Miami bought a team …

“It’s like, ‘Really, this is where we are?’ That’s really where we are, and it’s only going to get worse.”

Has Boeheim become a pathetic, pitiable figure or what?

I don’t care if Boeheim does backtrack from his comments.

Boeheim still is pathetic and pitiable.

Certainly, Boeheim is a hypocrite of the highest order. His Syracuse program has been reprimanded not once, but twice by the NCAA. In March 2015, Syracuse lost 12 scholarships and was forced to vacate 101 wins as the result of a multi-year investigation into its rules violations. Boeheim was suspended for nine games in the 2015-16 season.

And Boeheim has the nerve to blame others for leaving college basketball in “an awful place”?

Boeheim is a bitter old man. College athletics have changed dramatically and, at 78, he can’t keep up. He hates that Syracuse isn’t the power it once was. Syracuse is expected to miss the NCAA tournament this spring for the second consecutive season.

You don’t think Boeheim takes any blame for that, do you?

No, of course not.

It’s so much easier to blame other schools for taking advantage of the system better than Syracuse.

I have no idea how much money Pitt’s players are making. I really don’t care. I’m having too much fun watching them make basketball relevant again in this city for the first time in a long time.

Syracuse HC Jim Boeheim accuses Pitt of buying their team before backpedaling (cardiachill.com; Parra)

The Pittsburgh Panthers are well on their way to the most successful season in the Capel era. The Panthers are 16-7 on the season and 9-3 in the ACC which is currently tied for second in the conference and only a half-game back from the lead. Coming off yet another thrilling win at Chapel Hill the good feelings around Pitt were at a peak with a week off before their next game.

Jim Boeheim decided this would be a good time to take a few shots at some teams that are currently performing better than his Syracuse Orange. In an interview with ESPN’s Pete Thamel about rumors of his retirement, Boeheim not only said he has no plans to retire but that he also doesn’t like the state of college sports right now.

Wow at this quote from Pete Thamel’s Jim Blenheim story.

Boeheim says that Pitt and Jeff Capel ‘bought a team’.

Cites WF and Miami other teams, too.Boeheim on retirement chatter: 'It's my choice' pic.twitter.com/9lbOwl2cdz
— Nick Farabaugh (@Nick_Farabaugh) February 5, 2023

Since then Boeheim has attempted to walk back his comments on Pitt and Wake Forest to try to control some of the blowback. Jim Boeheim followed up with ESPN’s Pete Thamel to say that he “absolutely misspoke” about Wake Forest and Pitt buying teams, as the only public usage of NIL he knew about was Miami’s. He said he “shouldn’t have” included Wake and Pitt in his statement.

Sports World Wants Legendary Coach To Step Down (thespun.com; Holleran)

It's time, Jim.

Syracuse basketball has made some deep NCAA Tournament runs over the past decade or so, but it's been about 10 years since the Orange had a legitimate, top 10 program.

But Jim Boeheim has no plans to retire anytime soon. He's already announced he'll probably be back in 2023-24.

"I have no other plans. Listen, this has been the question of the day for 15 years. This isn't a new question. It's just the calendar going, 'Well, he's 78.' It's just the calendar. If it wasn't the calendar, if I was 65, no one would be saying anything. And I'm not going to retire just because it's the calendar. Anything can happen. Anything, literally. We'll just see what happens. I don't say anything because I don't know," he told ESPN.

Boeheim might not want to retire, but for the good of the program, he has to go.

"Boeheim agreed to retire in 2018, then decided he didn’t want to, then engineered an athletic director change to get one of his cronies the job so that he wouldn’t be pressured to actually follow through on the plan. It’s 2023 and he’s still doing this. Sad," Dan Wolken tweeted.

MBB: Teams with Multiple Titles (RX; HM)

MBB: Teams with Multiple Titles

Like college football, there are plenty of schools with one championship in men's basketball, but not many with two or more...

College basketball: the 15 schools w/ multiple national championships pic.twitter.com/3uF77KSEEs
— Jay Cuda (@JayCuda) February 4, 2023

The ACC has more of these Mutli-Title MBB programs than any other conference...

ACC Teams: Duke, Louisville, UNC, NC State.
Big Ten* Teams: Indiana, Michigan State, UCLA*
Big XII* Teams: Cincinnati*, Kansas, Oklahoma State
SEC Teams: Florida, Kentucky
Big East Teams: UConn, Villanova
Other: San Francisco

What we know:

• The ACC/Big Ten Challenge is over, and so is the Big XII/SEC Challenge.
  • The ACC and SEC will have a basketball "challenge", and most likely so will the Big Ten and Big XII.
  • It's rumored that the Big Ten/Big East "Gavitt Games" will end after 2023; will the Big East sign up for a new "challenge"?
Jim Boeheim reveals Syracuse status as retirement chatter swirls: ‘My choice’ (nypost.com; Crane)

The annual question surrounding Jim Boeheim’s looming retirement status has an answer — for now.

Following Syracuse’s win over Boston College on Saturday, Boeheim told ESPN’s Pete Thamel that he has “no other plans” and would “probably” return for a 48th season in 2023-24. And whenever the time does come for Boeheim to retire from the only place he has ever coached, the 78-year-old said “it’s my choice” and he “can do whatever I want.”

“Listen, this has been the question of the day for 15 years,” Boeheim said. “This isn’t a new question. It’s just the calendar going, ‘Well, he’s 78.’ It’s just the calendar. If it wasn’t the calendar, if I was 65, no one would be saying anything. And I’m not going to retire just because it’s the calendar.”

Though he acknowledged that he doesn’t definitively know what his coaching future looks like, Boeheim said that 95 percent of Syracuse “people” still want him to coach — and “why wouldn’t they,” he asked.

“As bad as we’ve been the last two years, we were fun to watch last year and we’re still fun to watch and we’re still competing,” Boeheim said. “We just played three of the top teams in the country to a standstill. If you’re getting beat by 20 by those teams, then you say, ‘OK, we’ll see.’”

Jim Boeheim and Syracuse are in danger of missing the NCAA Tournament for a second consecutive season.Corey Sipkin for the New York Post
In his interview with ESPN, Boeheim also commented on elements of the changing college basketball landscape: the transfer portal and name, image and likeness. He claimed that Pittsburgh, Miami and Wake Forest all “bought a team,” but Demon Deacons head coach Steve Forbes told Thamel that those accusations were “one thousand percent wrong.” Boeheim later backtracked his claims.

Update: Jim Boeheim followed up with ESPN to say that he “absolutely misspoke” about Wake Forest and Pitt buying teams, as the only public usage of NIL he knew about was Miami’s, which was highly publicized. He said he “shouldn’t have” included Wake and Pitt in his statement. https://t.co/yQXKRYEAG3
— Pete Thamel (@PeteThamel) February 5, 2023

The topic of Boeheim’s retirement has been at the forefront of the Syracuse program ever since the university’s first succession plan backfired. Boeheim was supposed to retire following the 2017-18 season. Mike Hopkins, who had been with the program for more than two decades, was tabbed to take over.

But Hopkins accepted Washington’s head coaching position, Boeheim stayed at SU and the plan lost its roots. Still, Boeheim told ESPN Radio in Syracuse last year, “there’s a plan” for when he does retire.

Social Media Reacts to ESPN's Explosive Jim Boeheim Interview (orangefizz.net; Unsworth)

Syracuse beat Boston College yesterday in what felt like another run-of-the-mill SU-BC game. A little close, but the Orange eventually pulled away. Ho hum.

While most of us were sound asleep last night (or watching St. Mary’s beat Gonzaga), ESPN college sports scoop king Pete Thamel got exclusive access to Jim Boeheim. And let’s just say what came out was rather interesting.
https://twitter.com/PeteThamel?ref_...amel2Fstatus2F1622077604630040578widget=Tweet
Pete Thamel
@PeteThamel

Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim opens up to ESPN on how he'll "probably" return to coach the Orange next season, his autonomy over his retirement decision and the "awful place" that college basketball is in right now. Boeheim on retirement chatter: 'It's my choice' https://t.co/20KIsETV8p

@DAonCBS
Jim Boeheim’s final field analysis: ✏️Media is wrong ✏️No one else knows what they’re talking about ✏️College hoops sucks ✏️All the good coaches left ✏️Everyone else cheats ✏️He’s still awesome ✏️Shut up
9:48 AM · Feb 5, 2023

The Fizz godfather here sums it up well. Boeheim has never been one to mince words, and this article is pretty much a full-bore attack on those who say the game has passed him by and NIL.

Other

3YDKHNRVDZFT5FDAVX5TMPWCJQ.jpg

April Arnzen, chief people officer at Micron Technology Inc., speaks to an audience at a town hall meeting in Clay on Oct. 24, 2022. Micron officials and local leaders will hold another town hall Tuesday in Syracuse. (Rick Moriarty | rmoriarty@syracuse.com)

Micron execs to host town hall next week with Syracuse and Onondaga County officials (PS; $; Knauss)

Several top executives at Micron Technology will join local officials for a town hall meeting next week in Syracuse. The event will be at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday at Henninger High School, 600 Robinson St.

The participants will provide an update and take questions about Micron’s plan to invest up to $100 billion to develop a chip fab complex in Clay. The event is open to the public.

Representing Micron will be Manish Bhatia, executive vice president for global operations; April Arnzen, chief people officer; and Scott Gatzemeier, vice president.

Syracuse Mayor Ben Walsh, Onondaga County Executive Ryan McMahon, and Syracuse schools Superintendent Anthony Davis also will participate.

The event will be in the upper cafeteria at Henninger. Attendees should use the rear parking lot and entrance.

JPP66FZ4MFERXIFBCDFCRPPHKE.JPG

A 3.8-magnitute earthquake hit Buffalo this morning. The contour lines on this map show how far the quake was felt. U.S. Geological Survey

Earthquake strikes near Buffalo: ‘It felt like a car hit my house’ (PS; Coin)

A 3.8-magnitude earthquake hit near Buffalo this morning, rattling houses and waking up Western New Yorkers.

“It felt like a car hit my house in Buffalo,” tweeted Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz. “I jumped out of bed.”

Poloncarz said there had been no reports of damage.

The quake was felt from Niagara Falls to Orchard Park, and in southern Ontario.

The quake hit about 6:15 a.m., according to the U.S. Geological Survey. It happened about 2 miles underground.

Earthquakes Canada said the quake was centered about 4 miles east of Buffalo.

The USGS said the region gets “moderately frequent earthquakes,” most weak enough that they don’t cause damage.

A 3.8-magnitude earthquake is relatively weak and is not expected to cause much damage, Earthquakes Canada said.

The scale used to measure earthquakes is logarithmic, so each number is 10 times more severe. A 5-magnitude quake is 10 times stronger than a 4, for example.

This is a developing story. Check back for more information.

Not a lot of positive reactions from JB’s comments over the weekend. Reactions from around the country paint him as anything as positive, mostly pathetic. Usually, this forces JB to dig in and try to prove everyone wrong. It probably means another five years!