Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
459601582848461400.png

Welcome to Wordsmith Day!

Wordsmith Day is celebrated annually on May 3. This holiday celebrates the weavers of words. If you have ever read something and it stuck in your head or you had to go back to soak the words in then you have experienced the joys of carefully crafted words. Books, articles, and dialogue in movies have all inspired people and that is all thanks to wordsmiths. Let us dive into the magical world of words and appreciate the people who work with them.

The term ‘wordsmith’ is derived from ancient phrases like ‘blacksmith,’ ‘goldsmith,’ ‘silversmith,’ and ‘locksmith,’ all of which refer to a high level of competence and expertise in a particular technique. Wordsmiths possess mastery in the use of words and are in the profession of weaving words like magic that leave an imprint on others.
So, let’s take a closer look at the genesis of the term ‘wordsmith.’ It is easy to see how this word came to be associated with those who work with words to generate new things if we break it down into the terms ‘word’ and ‘smithing.’ According to the Encyclopedia Britannica, ‘smithing’ is the process of creating metalwork for manufacturing or repair. It is the thought of forging something anew from metal bars that comes to mind when we think about this old trade. Authors twist and mold words to form thoughts and ideas, much like a blacksmith does with iron or steel while creating a new tool or piece of jewelry.

SU News

L3DWK3FAGRHYTEN6GCZIL5J5OY.JPG

Syracuse Orange forward Maliq Brown (1) pump fakes Florida State Seminoles center Naheem McLeod (24) at the Donald L. Tucker Civic Center, Tallahassee, FL, Wednesday February 8, 2023. Scott Schild | sschild@syracuse.com Scott Schild |

Florida State transfer center Naheem McLeod schedules visit to Syracuse (PS; Waters)

Naheem McLeod, a 7-foot-4 center who is transferring after two years at Florida State, has set up a visit to Syracuse University.

McLeod announced on his Twitter page that he would visit the SU campus this weekend.

Syracuse this weekend
— Naheem Bigduke McLeod ✝️ (@boogienah_10) May 3, 2023

The 255-pound McLeod is a massive interior presence and a potential answer for the departure of Syracuse’s starting center Jesse Edwards, who transferred to West Virginia last month.

In his two years at Florida State, McLeod earned 16 starts, including 11 this past season despite battling some injuries. He recorded an astounding 1.2 blocks per game despite logging barely over 13 minutes per game.

McLeod had his best game against Syracuse last season. In a 76-67 loss to the Orange, McLeod scored 16 points and hauled in 8 rebounds.

Edwards’ decision to transfer leaves Syracuse with little experience at center. Mounir Hima, a 6-11 sophomore, averaged 7.4 minutes per game last year after transferring to SU from Duquesne. Peter Carey appeared in just three games as a freshman before taking a medical redshirt. Incoming freshman William Patterson, a 7-2 center, will need time to add strength to his long frame.

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/recruiting/naheem-mcleoud-ready-for-syracuse-official-visit (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse basketball will host Florida State transfer center Naheem McLeod this weekend for an official visit. The 7-4, 255 pounder has been in touch with the Orange since entering the transfer portal.

"The first day I entered the portal, Syracuse was the second school to call me," McLeod said. "The coaches there have been there already. They know the system and they said they've been watching me since I was a freshman in high school. They just reached out too late, to the point where I already chose Florida State coming out of high school. They're all coming at me at once, I can't say it's just one coach. When I pick up the phone, it's all of the coaches there. They say they can't wait to get me on campus. Very welcoming there."

The message from the Syracuse coaches has had a simple theme: Work.

"As far as I know, it's just to come in and work," McLeod said. "Be comfortable playing with the guys up there now and just be the best version of myself I can be. I am one of the older, mature veterans that would be participating with those guys. It would be a blessing to help out those guys."

Remaining in the ACC would mean playing with players he is familiar as well as against players he has previously played against.

"It all connects to each other," McLeod said. "I'm used to playing against those guys. If I do play Syracuse, I know how they play, they know how I play. We know what to expect out of each other."

When he arrives in Central New York, he knows exactly what he is looking for in order to determine if Syracuse is the right fit.

Syracuse Basketball: Chance Westry is great fit for Orange, top scout says (itlh; Adler)

Auburn transfer Chance Westry will prove a strong fit at Syracuse basketball, a top national scout recently said.

The 6-foot-6 guard, a former long-time recruiting target of Orange coaches, said last month that he would transfer after his freshman season with the Tigers to the ‘Cuse.

That recent development delighted many Syracuse basketball fanatics who were bummed when Westry committed to Southeastern Conference member Auburn, and not the Orange, while in high school.

Westry’s decision to transfer to the ‘Cuse provided a boost to the Syracuse basketball backcourt, given that freshman point guard Judah Mintz is testing the 2023 NBA Draft waters while maintaining his college eligibility.

Beyond Mintz’s future decision, senior shooting guard Joe Girard is down to two finalists, Clemson and LSU, and senior guard Symir Torrence has elected to transfer from the Orange to Binghamton.

Syracuse Basketball: 5-star recruit, nation’s No. 1 PG, would like to visit SU (itlh; Adler)

New Syracuse basketball recruiting target Tyler Jackson from Baltimore, a five-star point guard and a top-10 national prospect in the 2025 class, says that he wants to visit the Hill at some point in the future.

The 6-foot-3 Jackson, in an interview with recruiting analyst Charles Kang of The Juice Online, said, “Syracuse is a school I would definitely like to visit. Definitely will stay in contact throughout my high school career.”

That’s great to hear. To be fair, as a sophomore, Jackson’s recruiting process likely has a long way to go. He’s already amassed some big-time scholarship offers, but his offer sheet should balloon come mid-June, when college coaches can start initiating direct communication with 2025 prospects.

Jackson disclosed a few days ago via Twitter that he had received a scholarship offer from Syracuse basketball. His lead recruiter is Orange assistant coach Brenden Straughn, who has strong recruiting ties in the Washington, D.C., and Baltimore regions.

‎Locked On Syracuse - Daily Podcast On Syracuse Orange Football & Basketball on Apple Podcasts (apple.com; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

Taking A Look At Each Of SU Basketball's Outstanding Offers In The '24 + '25 Classes - Who Comes To 'Cuse?

MBB: Preseason Top 25+1 for 2023 April 28 (RX; HM)

MBB: Preseason Top 25+1 for 2023 April 28

Here is CBS Sports' "Top 25 And 1 rankings" for April 28th...

1. UCONN
2. PURDUE
3. MARQUETTE
4. DUKE
This ranking is based on the Blue Devils returning the top four scorers - Kyle Filipowski, Jeremy Roach, Tyrese Proctor and Mark Mitchell - from a team that finished 10-1 in its final 11 games and won the ACC Tournament. Duke is also enrolling a top-two recruiting class and will be among the most talented teams in the country, per usual.. --. 27-9
5. FAU
6. ALABAMA
7. KANSAS
8. MICHIGAN ST
9. HOUSTON
10. ARKANSAS
11. CREIGHTON
12. GONZAGA
13. MIAMI
This ranking is based on the Hurricanes returning three starters - Nijel Pack, Norchad Omier and Wooga Poplar - from a team that shared the ACC regular-season title with Virginia and advanced to the 2023 Final Four. That should be enough for the Hurricanes to compete at or near the top of the ACC once again.. --. 29-8
14. KENTUCKY
15. SAN DIEGO ST.
16. TENNESSEE
17. USC
18. TEXAS A&M
19. TEXAS
20. UCLA
21. SAINT MARY'S
22. AUBURN
23. BAYLOR
24. ARIZONA
25. IOWA ST.
26. MISS. ST.

BOTTOM LINE:

I'm going to sound the alarm now - there are only 2 ACC Men's Basketball teams getting preseason love. That's not enough!

Other

AJ2KPNEEIVHVNILKEWBKRNVV3M.png

Syracuse University collab with Vera Bradley

Vera Bradley has official Syracuse University women's gear: Bags, bottles, more (PS; Liwanag)

Vera Bradley. You know it, you love it. Is there anything better than a brand you love collaborating with your college?

Syracuse University has official collegiate products with Vera Bradley and it’s everything you could ever want in cute game-day wear. Plus, the limited-edition Tervis 24oz Wide Mouth Bottle is available now so you need to grab it before it sells out. You can find anything from the perfect crossbody bag to duffel bags, lanyards, and more.

Check out Syracuse University’s official Vera Bradley collaboration items below:

G6SBLTSLLVEJLNNLMYSKTAOXFY.JPG

Customers who try parasailing at Parasail Joe’s in Lake George, N.Y. will fly 200-400 feet above the lake during their rides. Lake George was recently declared the cleanest lake in America by A-Z Animals.Katrina Tulloch

Cleanest lake in the United States declared to be in Upstate NY (PS; Hernandez)

There’s no question that Upstate New York is awash with beautiful bodies of water, but one aquatic gem was recently declared the cleanest lake in America.

Online blog A-Z Animals released a list last month of the cleanest lakes in the United States and Lake George claimed the top spot. It beat out places like Crater Lake in Oregon, Lake Michigan, Lake Coeur d’Alene in Idaho and more.

Nestled in the Adirondack Mountains, the “Queen of American Lakes,” is 32 miles of deep blue waters and A-Z Animals notes that the popular vacation spot attracts over 50,000 summer tourists each year.

Typical aquatic activities like water skiing, jet skiing, rafting, and kayaking are available to guests, but you can also go parasailing for breathtaking mountain views or harken back to days gone by and take a cruise on a paddlewheel steamboat. You can bring the kids and the dogs down to Million Dollar Beach for swimming on hot summer days.

Even in winter, you can stand on Lake George’s frozen waters and get a heart-pounding show of fireworks during the town’s winter carnival.

Lake George has been named on multiple “top lakes” lists, including Country Living’s clearest lake list, Reader’s Digest list of most beautiful lakes for swimming, and Conde Nast’s list of most beautiful lakes.