Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to World Softball Day!

World Softball Day is all about encouraging federations and individuals around the world to get involved in softball. It doesn’t matter how old you are, how good you are, or where you come from, this day is about showing that anyone can participate in the sport.

It’s not just about promoting softball either; it is bigger than this. It is about promoting physical activity in general and good health, as well as international spirit and social integration. World Softball Day is also important for inspiring future generations of girls and boys in order to seek excellence and become empowered through sport. This is a great day for us to inspire people to become active in sport; anyone can do it!

SU News

Want to better understand NIL? Syracuse native and NIL influencer has some answers (PS; $; Ditota)

Jim Cavale was on the cutting edge of name, image and likeness before college athletes were allowed to earn money from NIL on July 1, 2021.

His company, INFLCR, supplied software to colleges that initially provided athletes with images they could post on social media for fun or to boost their personal brand. After July 1, athletes could use the INFLCR app as a gathering place for their NIL activity.

Cavale is a Syracuse native. Syracuse University had been an INFLCR client for about a year before NIL dawned. INFLCR and SU announced an expansion of their partnership on the day NIL became “legal” for college athletes.

Cavale has been immersed in NIL and its satellite spinoff issues for years. We spoke last Thursday about various topics of interest in NIL. At the time, New York State had just passed a bill that aimed to prevent the NCAA from punishing a school it believes violated NIL guidelines. The bill awaits the signature of Gov. Kathy Hochul.

Other states have passed similar legislation, which has drawn the wrath of NCAA president Charlie Baker, who has been lobbying in Washington, D.C. to get a uniform federal law passed.

Of those individual state laws, Baker said last week, “they say screw the NCAA. Screw the conference. Screw their rules.”

NIL conversations have a way of escalating.

'Found the best spot for me': Girard talks transfer to Clemson (theclemsoninsider.com; Staff)

One of the big transfer additions for the Clemson men’s basketball program this offseason is Joseph Girard III.

The former Syracuse standout announced last month that he would be joining Brad Brownell’s program. His transfer decision came down to Clemson and LSU, and the ACC’s Tigers beat out the SEC’s Tigers for the prolific scoring guard.

Girard recently spoke with Chris Spatola on SiriusXM ACC Radio about his transfer to Clemson and more. He was asked if staying in the ACC was important to him in his transfer decision.

“To be honest, at first it was a little nerve-wracking for me,” Girard said. “I didn’t know if I really wanted to do it just because with the experience and everything, you kind of want to see if you can play in a different environment, see if you can play in a different style with all the other leagues that they offer. But some of the questions I would ask during the recruiting process is like, ‘I’ve played four years already in this league, and all these teams kind of know me and know what I can do, like maybe it’ll hinder me if I come back because they already know what I can do,’ and a lot of the coaches in a few of the schools that recruited me around the ACC would say, ‘Well you don’t think they’re going to know you if you go to the Pac-12 or the SEC?’ So, they kind of put it in a good perspective, and it made sense. And also looking at it, there’s a lot of pros to it. You’re familiar with all the teams, you’re familiar with all the arenas, you’re familiar with all the environments and you’ve been through it for four years.

“So, it wasn’t important to me and going into the portal, I really didn’t know what to expect, to be honest with you. I just put my name in there and within two or three minutes started getting some calls. From there, it kind of took off, but I didn’t really have any agenda I guess of where I wanted to go or where I wanted to be. I just kind of went into it with an open mind and found the best spot for me.”

ORANGE ZONE: Reviewing this year in SU athletics (art19.com; podcast; Orange Zone)

The 2022-2023 collegiate athletics season is over...well at least it's as close to over as it can be.

On the latest episode of "The Orange Zone Podcast," Tommy Sladek, Samantha Croston discuss the news that men's basketball standout Judah Mintz will return to the Orange for his sophomore season (04:45-09:13). They then take a look back on the year in Cuse athletics as a whole and do their best to rank some of the biggest moments Orange fans saw, heard and felt from the start of fall all the way to the doorstep of summer (09:14-30:52).

Those aren't the only memories Tommy, Sam and Producer Brendon have up their sleeves though, as each has picked out a favorite moment of theirs from this first year of "The Orange Zone Podcast". They each share those moments (30:53-40:57) before turning to another edition of Producer Brendon's patented trivia with a track and field twist ahead of this week's National Championships (40:58-44:14).

‎ESPN Syracuse/Utica-Rome: 30 Minutes In Orange Nation 6-12-23 on Apple Podcasts (apple.com; radio; Orange Nation)

30 Minutes In Orange Nation 6-12-23

Paulie and Steve open the show by debating which team at Syracuse is going to improve the most next season between Football, MBB, MLAX & WBB. Then, the guys discuss the new change to the block/charge call in college basketball. Finally, Jordan returns from his vacation to talk a little NBA Finals with the guys and discuss something that bothered him at Syracuse Mets games.

Syracuse Basketball: Philly priority target on cusp of 5 stars, analyst says (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball 2024 priority target Jalil Bethea, a talented and versatile guard from the Philadelphia area, is “on the brink of five-star status,” according to a recent article from a recruiting analyst.

Jason Jordan of , one of the best recruiting analysts out there, recently published a piece where he looked at five rising seniors who have made strong cases in recent months to earn a fifth star in the 2024 national rankings.

Jordan, understandably, included the 6-foot-4 Bethea in his article. This Orange recruit has proven one of the top performers on the AAU circuit dating back to April, and he was an All-American as a junior in the 2022-23 season at Archbishop Wood Catholic High School in Warminster, Pa.

Syracuse basketball priority target Jalil Bethea is trending toward five stars.

Interestingly enough, of the five prospects who are discussed by Jordan, several of them, besides Bethea, had previously landed ‘Cuse scholarship offers.

They include Derik Queen, an uncommitted power forward/center who was offered by the Orange in October of 2021, as well as point guard Robert Wright III, who is verbally committed to Baylor.

Fellow point guard Tahaad Pettiford, who is verbally committed to Auburn, reportedly received interest from the ‘Cuse at one time or another.

Syracuse Basketball: Block/charge among many rule changes in 2023-24 (itlh; Adler)

The NCAA has approved a variety of rule changes for the upcoming 2023-24 season, and these new rules will affect Syracuse basketball and its peers around the country in one way or another.

According to a recent press release on the NCAA’s Web site, one change pertains to the legal guarding position on block/charge calls where defenders are near the basket.

Under the new rule approved by the NCAA’s Playing Rules Oversight Panel, “a defender will have to be in position to draw a charge at the time an offensive player plants a foot to go airborne to attempt a field goal. If the defender arrives after the offensive player plants a foot to launch toward the basket, officials will be instructed to call a block when contact occurs between the two players,” according to the media statement on ncaa.org.

In the past, defenders had to be in a position to draw a charge before the offensive player went airborne. I love this rule change, by the way. I readily acknowledge that the block/charge call is among the most challenging for officials to make.

New Men’s Basketball Coach Adrian Autry ’94 Serving as Grand Marshal During Juneteenth Victory Parade (syr.edu; Boccacino)

Adrian “Red” Autry ’94
, the new Syracuse University men’s basketball coach and former Orange basketball standout, is serving as grand marshal for Syracuse’s victory parade commemorating the Juneteenth (June 19) federal holiday and the emancipation of enslaved African Americans across the United States.

This marks the second consecutive victory parade with an Orange connection. Felisha Legette-Jack ’89, the women’s basketball coach, served as grand marshal of last year’s Juneteenth celebrations.

“It’s just an honor and a privilege to be grand marshal, and I’m excited to take part in this celebration that’s so important to our community,” Autry says. “The University is a big part of our city, and we support that community. To represent the University and be with our community on a day that is special means a lot to me.”

The victory parade is part of the city’s 33rd annual Juneteenth Cultural Festival, which takes place June 16-17 in Clinton Square downtown. This year’s celebration is the second in Syracuse since Juneteenth became an acknowledged New York state holiday in 2020 and a federal holiday in 2021.

Autry, a native of Harlem, New York, will be riding at the front of the parade route sporting his customary Syracuse University gear. The parade begins at 11 a.m. on Saturday, June 17, with Autry riding at the front of the procession. The parade route starts at the Dunbar Center on South State Street and concludes in front of City Hall.

At the conclusion of the victory parade, Juneteenth festivities will continue at City Hall from 1 to 10 p.m.

Autry is a devoted family man, and he’s excited that his wife, Andrea, and their daughter, Nina, will be in attendance for the parade and subsequent Juneteenth celebrations.

“Being not only a basketball coach, but a mentor and a community figure, that’s what you want to do, help teach others about our history. This provides an opportunity for me to give these children who attend Juneteenth hope, and to show the progress that’s been made. Our country is all about opportunity and progress,” Autry says.

Broadcast Director in Syracuse, NY for Syracuse University (ncaa.org)

Broadcast Director
Syracuse University
FacebookTwitterLinkedInShare

APPLY NOW

Details
Posted: 12-Jun-23
Type: Full-time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Categories:
Operations
Operations - Marketing/Promotions

Sector:
Collegiate Sports

Internal Number: 038947

Syracuse University invites applicants for the Broadcast Director position. The Broadcast Director of Athletics Production reports to the Sr. Producer and will coordinate, direct, and participate in the creative development and execution of all live-game productions for Syracuse University as well as for ESPN/ACC Network.

In addition, the Broadcast Director will assist in creating storyline ideas for broadcasts and provide input for implementing innovative graphics for remote telecasts. The Broadcast Director will also be responsible for assisting in all other media functions for the athletic department’s social media platforms as assigned by the Senior Producer/Athletics Production and Executive Senior Associate Athletics Director/Chief Marketing Officer.

This position will have a significant impact on the visual branding of the Syracuse University athletics program. The ideal candidate must have a minimum of 3 years directing network level live sporting events, be a team player and be able to handle multiple projects simultaneously, meet tight completion deadlines, work independently, communicate effectively, and emphasize creativity in his/her work.

We are looking for someone to bring forward-thinking production ideas, strong technical knowledge, and the ability to manage quality control at a network television level. Support the Athletic Department’s efforts in new and emerging social media and networking platforms by working assisting the direct supervisor with meeting content goals on digital platforms.

Responsibilities include but not limited to:

Produce and Direct live sports programs and special events. Work with ESPN to follow network guidelines for show implementation. Consult the producing team to improve the overall quality of the show. Work with the production crew to execute a high-quality network programming. Collaborate with the in-house production team to build out all shows and studios for the network which includes planning, blocking, and launching. Assist with special projects as determined by Athletic Department. Other duties as assigned.

Qualifications: A Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.

Job Specific Qualifications:

Three (3) plus years’ experience producing and directing live sports television on network level. Know-how to work seamlessly with talent and technical staff. Good instincts, creative ideas, strong visual ability. Leadership capabilities and exceptional ability to stay calm under intense and constant pressure. Strong analytical and technical skills. Flexibility to work all shifts in a 24/7/365 sports television environment. Solid knowledge of sports and news of the day.

Interested candidates must apply online at www.sujobopps.com (job # 038947).

Other

83312420-e8a9-4591-aef2-c421a8de6b1d.jpg

Syracuse Downtown Farmers Market: Who are the food vendors for 2023? (PS; Cazentre)

The Downtown Farmers Market returns to Clinton Square for the season starting Tuesday, bringing veggies, meat and other produce, flowers, and prepared foods from local farmers and providers.

But fans of the summer-long event also want to know: Who are the food trucks and vendors offering meals for a market lunch this year?

Four food vendors for this year are currently listed by the Downtown Committee of Syracuse, which manages the event. They are:

· Rossi’s Meatball Stand and Catering. This Madison County-based truck brings meatball subs, sausage subs, macaroni Salad, chips and soft drinks.

· Cue Dogs. This truck affiliated with Salt City Billiards in Mattydale features hot dogs, burgers, chicken tenders and more.

· Petit Nosh. This food truck features what it calls a “brunch-inspired” menu including French toast, egg sandwiches, atkes (potato pancakes) and more.

· BulBul. This food truck, affiliated with BulBul Restaurant, features Middle Eastern cuisine including gyros and pitas.

The Downtown Farmers Market will run 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. each Tuesday through Oct. 10, except for the July 4 holiday, which falls on a Tuesday this year. The market takes place in Clinton Square except for June 20, when it will move to the One Lincoln Center parking lot at South Salina and Washington streets.

T5K5WUQV3NDLXKHSOMDCIZXYNM.jpg

More than 2 inches of rain could fall in relatively parched Upstate New York over the next three days. This map shows estimated rainfall through 6 a.m. Wednesday.

For weeks we’ve been saying ‘we need the rain’ in Upstate NY. Here it comes (PS; Coin)

Those brown, crackly lawns in Upstate New York might be a bad memory by the middle of this week.

A strong storm system is expected to reach Upstate today, dropping at least an inch of rain across the region and more than 2 inches in a narrow swath of Central New York and the Southern Tier.

The National Weather Service has issued a hazardous weather outlook for strong thunderstorms and potential flash flooding in areas hit by repeated rounds of thunderstorms.

“Some of the rainfall could be locally heavy, and isolated flash flooding cannot be ruled out,” the weather service office in Binghamton said.

The rain will be mostly a good thing, though, after an extended dry spell that has left nearly all of Upstate New York abnormally dry, according to the U.S. Drought Monitor.

“FINALLY - beneficial rainfall through mid-week,” said the weather service’s Buffalo office, which forecasts for Western New York and counties along Lake Ontario. “Given the very dry antecedent conditions, the welcomed rainfall through tonight should largely soak in with only very modest rises on most tributaries.”