Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to National Kitten Day!

National Kitten Day celebrates kittens and highlights the plight of those that are homeless in an effort to save as many as possible through adoption. It was created in 2012 by animal welfare advocate Colleen Paige as an adjunct holiday to National Cat Day, and it was first held the following year. For its first two years, it was celebrated in December, but it was then moved to July. For a few years in the mid-2010s, it was sponsored by BLUE Naturally Fresh Cat Litter, which appears to have been a collaboration between The Blue Buffalo Company and Naturally Fresh cat litter.

SU News

A5XWEFEPZZENHKIBBRJR5RC7BU.jpg

Donnie Freeman of Team Takeover slams the ball in against Mokan Saturday in the Peach Jam semifinal Saturday in North Augusta, GA. Syracuse University basketball coach Adrian Autry and his coaching staff joined coaches from all over the nation to watch recruit potential at the 2023 Nike EYBL Peach Jam in Augusta, GA Saturday, July 8, 2023. N. Scott Trimble | strimble@syracuse.com

How Hunter Dickinson keyed Syracuse recruit’s big 2nd half in Peach Jam final (PS; $; Waters)

North Augusta, S.C. – Donnie Freeman had done little in the first half of Sunday’s Peach Jam championship game except sit on the bench.

Team Takeover coach Jamill Jones has a rule that players sit if they get two fouls before halftime.

Freeman had picked up his second foul early in the second quarter. So the 6-foot-9 forward who is committed to Syracuse watched the last six minutes of the half from the bench after managing just two points and one rebound.

During the halftime break, Freeman spent time with Hunter Dickinson, who played for Team Takeover before going on to play the last four years at Michigan. Dickinson, who recently transferred to Kansas, flew from Kansas to Augusta to be with his former AAU team.

“I knew he was in foul trouble,’’ Dickinson said later. “I knew he hadn’t played, so I just tried to warm him up a little bit and get him ready for this big second half.’’

GJS765SSDZDEVEZ5M5BLPAZKDM.jpg

Syracuse University basketball coach Adrian Autry and his coaching staff joined coaches from all over the nation to watch recruit potential at the 2023 Nike EYBL Peach Jam in Augusta, GA Friday, July 7, 2023. N. Scott Trimble | strimble@syracuse.com

SU basketball at Peach Jam: Coaches watch key targets during big recruiting weekend (video) (PS; video; Waters)

North Augusta, S.C. ― The Peach Jam, the crown jewel of the Nike EYBL AAU circuit, brings together all levels of basketball in one place.

Syracuse coach Adrian Autry and two of his assistant coaches, Gerry McNamara and Brenden Straughn, were among the hundreds of college coaches in attendance here on Friday.

Autry and his staff — assistant coach Allen Griffin was watching more high school prospects in the adidas 3SSB Championships about two hours up the interstate in Rock Hill, South Carolina — gathered to watch key recruits and then fanned out to different courts to make sure they laid eyes on as many prospects as possible in the limited amount of time available.

The Syracuse coaches have paid close attention to two Class of 2024 recruits who have already committed to the Orange since arriving here earlier in the week.

Elijah Moore, a 6-3 guard from the Bronx, is playing in the adidas events, while Donnie Freeman, a 6-9 forward from Washington D.C., is with Team Takeover at the Peach Jam. Both are rated among the Top 60 players in the ‘24 class by multiple recruiting services.

Freeman looked like the stereotypical Syracuse forward with length and athleticism. He showed off both of those traits on a rim-rattling dunk on Friday night that had fans jumping out of their seats.

Then there are players in the 2024 class with Syracuse offers who haven’t made their college decisions yet. They include Jalil Bethea, a 6-3 guard from Philadelphia. Peach Jam quarterfinals are set to tip-off at noon on four different courts. Bethea’s team, Team Final, is in Saturday’s quarterfinals along with Freeman’s Team Takeover.

The event began earlier this week with pool play. The NCAA’s open evaluation period allowing coaches to attend games started Thursday. The Peach Jam wrapped up pool play on Friday, giving way to the quarterfinals and semifinals on Saturday and the championship game on Sunday.

EVDXP3MSJNEK3EKOL3HUNHGLJA.jpg

Donnie Freeman of Team Takeover gets double teamed against Mokan Saturday in the Peach Jam semifinal Saturday in North Augusta, GA. Syracuse University basketball coach Adrian Autry and his coaching staff joined coaches from all over the nation to watch recruit potential at the 2023 Nike EYBL Peach Jam in Augusta, GA Saturday, July 8, 2023. N. Scott Trimble | strimble@syracuse.com

Freeman plays some center to send team to finals: ‘Whatever it takes to win’ (recruiting notes) (PS; $; Waters)

North Augusta, S.C. ― Donnie Freeman had put up some big numbers over the past few days at the Peach Jam Invitational, but even though his numbers weren’t quite as eye-opening, the Syracuse commit provided some crucial contributions that helped boost Team Takeover past Mokan Elite in the tournament’s semifinals on Saturday night.

Freeman, a 6-foot-9 forward, scored 10 points on 4-of-9 field-goal shooting. He had previously posted 18- and 22-point efforts in group play leading up to Saturday’s quarterfinal and semifinal round. But in addition to his 10 points, Freeman hauled in six rebounds and dished out five assists.

Team Takeover led by 10 at halftime and finished with a 70-59 victory, but Mokan had trimmed TTO’s advantage to three points on more than one occasion in the second half.

“I know we had a comfortable lead,’' Freeman said, “but it was way harder than it looked.’'

The game got considerably tougher when Team Takeover’s center, Patrick Ngongba, had to leave the court ― once with what looked like a turned ankle and a few other times due to foul trouble.

That forced Freeman to the center position where he had to contend with John Bol, Mokan’s 7-foot-2 center who is ranked as the No. 23 player in the 2024 class by ESPN and recently de-committed from Florida.

Moore shows off jumper, winner’s mentality in front of SU coaches: ‘That’s what they want’ (video) (PS; $; Waters)

Editor’s note: Reporters Mike Waters and Scott Trimble are down south for news coverage and video footage of Syracuse basketball recruits playing in the summer’s premier AAU events. Look for coverage throughout the weekend on Syracuse.com and follow along on Twitter @MikeWatersSYR

Rock Hill, S.C. – When Elijah Moore spotted Syracuse head coach Adrian Autry and all three of his assistant coaches standing on the sideline prior to his team’s game at the adidas 3SSB event on Thursday, he stepped out of the layup line and exchanged handshakes and hugs.

“It feels good knowing that they’re here and they took the time to come out here to see me and watch me play,’’ Moore said after the game. “It definitely feels good.’’

Moore, a 6-foot-4 shooting guard from the Bronx, committed to Syracuse in late January. A few months later, he held firm to that commitment when SU coach Jim Boeheim retired and the school promoted Autry.

“When it happened, everybody was surprised,’’ Moore said. “I kinda knew it was coming. It wasn’t a big deal to me. Coach Autry is my guy. Coach (Allen) Griffin is my guy. All the coaches. Coach Gerry (McNamara). For me, it wasn’t a big deal. The coaching staff was still there.’’

Something Boeheim had said to Moore during his official visit had prepared Moore for the possibility of Boeheim retiring sometime prior to his arrival in the fall of 2024.

Kris Joseph gets college assistant coaching job (PS; $; Ditota)

From the time Kris Joseph was a teenager, McGill University provided a place to play basketball.

Whether it was high school pickup games, gym time during his visits home when he was a Syracuse University forward, or more pickup opportunities once he left college and embarked on his professional career, Joseph found basketball refuge in the McGill gym.

So when McGill advertised for its first-ever paid assistant basketball coach position, Joseph felt the tug of fate.

He applied.

He interviewed.

He got the job.

“The whole process might have taken a month and a week,” Joseph said during a Wednesday phone conversation. “They told me I got the job and I was ecstatic. A full-circle moment. I went to camp there as a kid, now I’m going to coach and help these kids potentially get to the highest level they want to get to. It was great. A no-brainer.”

https://thespun.com/more/top-stories/basketball-fans-stunned-by-buddy-boeheims-performance-today (thespun.com; Machlin)

We haven't heard a whole lot from Buddy Boeheim since he joined the Detroit Pistons as an undrafted free agent last year. But for the second Summer League in a row, he's really cooking.

During today's Summer League game against the Orlando Magic, Boeheim came off the bench and quickly wowed fans by nailing a pair of three-pointers.

Boeheim's first-quarter heroics accounted for six of Detroit's 20 first quarter points.

Fans were downright stunned. Just about everyone agreed that they weren't expecting Boeheim to come off the bench and casually start balling out:

Other

PF3WAYD565G4PMYQKXI6KWE72Q.jpeg

Claire Wilson, of Radisson, recently caught this 42.5 inch, 19 pound tiger muskie in Onondaga Lake with a bass-rigged tube jig on 8-pound test line. She beat her husband's personal best by one pound.

Love, luck and Onondaga Lake: How a monster fish led to a marriage 30 years in the making (PS; Featherstone)

It’s a story as old as time: Young couple falls in love, split up, reunite decades later, get married, and together battle an enormous tiger muskie on Onondaga Lake.

That might sound a little fishy, but that’s exactly how life has played out for Claire Wilson and Bob Haberer, both of Radisson.

The couple began dating on July 1, 1992, when Claire was a freshman and Bob a senior at Paul V. Moore High School in Central Square. Bob’s family had a camp in Chaumont where’d they go ice fishing. On warm summer nights they’d fish for walleye on Oneida Lake.

“We did everything together,” Claire said. “He taught me a lot.”

Seven years, four prom dates, and countless fish later, Claire and Bob split up. They married different people, had kids, got divorced. They didn’t see each other for 19 years.

But fishing buddies are eternal. On July 1, 2018, they reunited. Four years later, and thirty years to the day they first started dating, they got married. And now they’re making up for lost time by catching loads of fish together.