Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
SU News

17392135-mmmain.jpg

SU Recruiting Target Tyus Battle Sets Up Visits to Duke and Louisville (PS; Waters)

In February, Tyus Battle trimmed his list of schools to seven. Now the highly-regarded 2016 recruit is beginning to set up some official visits.

Battle, a 6-foot-6 combo guard out of Gladstone (N.J.) Gill St. Bernard's School, will visit Duke on April 17 and Louisville on April 19, according to Evan Daniels of At their request, this network is being blocked from this site..

Battle has also set up a visit to Michigan, according to At their request, this network is being blocked from this site.'s Kyle Bogenshutz,

Kyle Bogenschutz @KyleBogie
Follow
2016 Gill (N.J.) St. Bernard 5-star wing Tyus Battle taking official visit to #Michigan in May http://foxs.pt/1G2FOCU @MichiganOnScout

1:31 PM - 28 Mar 2015

Daniels also reported that Battle has added Kentucky to his previous list of seven schools. That would leave Battle with a group of eight schools, including Duke, Louisville, Michigan, Syracuse, Connecticut, Notre Dame and Ohio State.

Battle has been on Syracuse's campus many times thanks to the school's proximity. It's a four-hour drive from Battle's home in New Jersey to Syracuse.

A week ago, Battle's father, Gary, said Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim called 15 minutesbefore SU officials released a statement that indicated Boeheim intended to retire in three years.

17390001-mmmain.jpg

Syracuse Beats Out Cleveland, Los Angeles and Houston to Win Attendance Crown (PS; Carlson)

Syracuse basketball fans proved their worth during the NCAA East Regional, helping bring in the top attendance of any of the four regional sites.

The Michigan State and Louisville game drew an announced crowd of 24,404 fans on Sunday, and the Sweet 16 games at the Carrier Dome generated an attendance of 24,453.

Those numbers were significantly better than the other games to be held in a football stadium. Headlined by Duke and Gonzaga, Houston's NRG Stadium drew 20,744 last night and 21,168 for the Sweet 16.

The regionals held in Los Angeles and Cleveland are more difficult to compare with Syracuse because both venues approached their seating capacities.

Cleveland's Quicken Loans Arena, which benefited from the presence of undefeated Kentucky, drew 19,464 and 19,465, while Los Angeles' Staples Center drew 19,125 and 18,909 fans for games headlined by Wisconsin and Arizona.

The 2015 numbers in Syracuse were better than the last time the Carrier Dome hosted in 2010 but failed to match the crowds of 30,000 regularly reached during the early 2000s. This year marked the seventh time that the Carrier Dome hosted the East Regional.

Syracuse bettered its previous numbers despite the fact that none of the four schools playing here were located within 450 miles of Syracuse. The numbers were buoyed by a huge swath of Michigan State fans who filled the lower bowl with green and made the atmosphere far from neutral.

Cooperstown Looked Like It Was Right Out of a Movie

OU Sports: Basketball, Bad News Bears and the Beatles-What a Long, Strange Trip It Was (tulsaworld.com; Emig)

The last thing I saw when I climbed into the car the night of March 17 was my wife’s sad face. She knew. If there’s one thing I have learned over 47 years, it’s how much women know.

And Christy knew.

Oklahoma was going to win two NCAA Tournament games in Columbus, Ohio, and that was going to keep me on the road to Syracuse, N.Y. That meant I wasn’t going to see my wife, my two kids, my two dogs, my cat, my house and all the cool stuff in my house for 11 days.

The only thing that got me through that? All the cool stuff I got to see, and experience, over the longest trip of my life — a drive from Norman to Dallas, a flight from Dallas through Atlanta and then on to Columbus, a drive from Columbus through Canton and Akron to Cleveland, a drive from Cleveland to Niagara Falls to Syracuse, a drive from Syracuse to Cooperstown and back, a flight from Syracuse through Chicago to Oklahoma City, and a drive from Oklahoma City to Norman, which was the happiest time I have spent in a car since Christy and I brought baby Gretchen home from the hospital in the summer of ’97.

On the longest trip of my life, I saw Niagara Falls. It was dark and cold and not exactly on our route to Syracuse, but I’d never seen it. So out of the goodness of my companions’ hearts, we dropped by for a look.

Like I said, it was dark and cold, and we were on the not-quite-as-scenic U.S. side of the Falls. So we Clark Griswold-ed it, got back in the car and drove on to Syracuse.

I saw quite a bit of Syracuse, but nothing as impressive as Cooperstown. I saw the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, which was OK. I’m not a big baseball guy, but I snapped pictures of the letter from the Mayo Clinic about Lou Gehrig’s condition, a cornerstone from Ebbets Field, the Phillie Phanatic costume and Miguel Agilar’s jersey from “Bad News Bears.”

To me, Cooperstown the town was a lot cooler. It had old Doubleday Field and a downtown village that looked right out of a movie. We ate at the Cooperstown Diner, which wasn’t any bigger than my kitchen but still somehow contained Tramel’s appetite.

On the longest trip of my life I saw Berry eat a hamburger as tall as the ketchup bottle on the table, topped off by a vanilla shake so thick he could barely suck it through his straw.

I saw the Carrier Dome back in Syracuse, but not until I was very near the entrance. The only way they could fit the thing on campus, I guess, was to wedge it between a bunch of other buildings. Seriously, you can’t see it until you’re there.

Then you go in and, honestly, you wish you hadn’t. It looks gray and feels cold. The most miserable coach I have encountered in 16 years of print journalism is Jim Boeheim. Now I understand why. If I had to go to work in that place every day, I’d be pretty miserable too.

-3fb8f6a6f65bd15c.jpg

Should Chris McCullough Declare for the 2015 NBA Draft? (PS; Axe)

When you heard the news that Syracuse forward Chris McCullough was thinking of putting his name in the hat for the 2015 NBA Draft, what was your reaction?

I think I have a pretty good idea.

A kid who played half a season at Syracuse because of an ACL tear who faced the brunt of Jim Boeheim's criticism while he was healthy? Sounds like a great idea to me!

I think I know what Jim Boeheim's opinion of the idea is based on discussions with sources and his on-the-record reaction to the mention of the name Chad Ford (or Chris as Boeheim calls him) during the season.

I spoke with an NBA scout on Monday who has scouted McCullough several times and is well-versed on his game.

I interjected some of the scout's views into this analysis of some of the popular talking points on McCullough's potential jump to the NBA Draft.

It's just one person's opinion, so take it for what it is worth, but adds an element to the discussion from someone who does not have an emotional attachment to the situation that a coach, fan, teammate, or family member would offer.

Syracuse Arm Chair Thoughts on NCAA Tournament (sujuiceonline.com; Auger)

While stuck between following updates to Jeff Goodman’s annual transfer list and waiting for Scott Shafer to land Syracuse’s first 2016 verbal commit (it’s recruiting season, baby!), here are some random musings on the madness that is March.

After a 39-point beat down, do you think West Virginia’s Daxter Miles, Jr. regrets running his mouth? Don’t poke the bear, son.

Now that Wisconsin has denied Arizona a spot in the Final Four in back-to-back seasons, can we somehow mandate that Sean Miller calls Bo Ryan in the off-season to schedule a home-and-home series starting in Tucson next year?

All four 5-seeds avoided the dreaded 5-12 curse this year. Remember that when filling out your bracket next season. Speaking of bracket blunders…

I got so caught up in watching Virginia win its second straight ACC regular season championship while playing stifling defense that I forgot about The Izzo Rule: don’t bet against Michigan State to reach the Sweet 16. *spits, kicks dirt, curses self*