Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
tick-tock-day-december-29.png

Welcome to Tick Tock Day!

December 29th is Tick Tock Day, a day to review your dreams and goals and start making them into a reality! The end of December is a popular time for looking back on the year’s accomplishments — a helpful process when it comes to shaping your resolutions for the coming year. So now is the time to make your list, check it twice (no, wait — that’s Chrsitmas), and see which boxes you haven’t been able to check off for 2015. Use the remaining days of the year to complete your goal or come up with a fool-proof plan to get it done in 2016!

SU News

20150207mfpittsports12-11.jpg

Pitt to Face Syracuse Without Orange's Legendary Coach (post-gazette.com; Zeise)

One of Jamie Dixon’s best friends in the coaching world is Syracuse’s Jim Boeheim. One of the reasons he always enjoys when the Panthers play the Orange is that the two get to catch up with each other before the game.

But Wednesday when Pitt (10-1) plays host to Syracuse (10-3) in the second game of the “ACC Tip-Off” doubleheader, Dixon will not be able to spend a few minutes with Boeheim nor will he be able to try to match wits with him during the game.

That’s because Boeheim won’t be with the Orange for three more games as he is serving a nine-game suspension for NCAA violations within the program.

The Orange, instead, will be coached by his top assistant (and the Orange head coach designate) Mike Hopkins, who has guided the team to a 4-2 record in Boeheim’s absence.

Dixon said that not having Boeheim, who 7-13 against Dixon, on the other bench will be a little bit difference because the legendary coach has been such a fixture at Syracuse for so long.

“Yeah it will be [strange],” Dixon said. “I’m good friends with Jim Boeheim and I’m good friends with Coach Hopkins, too, so I am sure Coach Hopkins and I will talk some before the game. We have been friends for a long time ... [Hopkins and I] are from the same part of California.

“So it will be interesting, but once we start the game I’m sure it will be about the players.”

19452046-mmmain.jpg

Silent G is Summa Cum Laude

2015-16 Syracuse Basketball Mid-Season Report Card (the juice; Cheng)

Syracuse has reached the end of its non-conference schedule at 10-3, and will begin conference play on Wednesday at 9 p.m. against Pitt. Before we embark on ACC games, let’s look back on the first 13 games of the season and grade the Orange:

Michael Gbinije: Interim head coach Mike Hopkins referred to Gbinije as an “alpha dog” after Syracuse’s loss to St. John’s, and that’s exactly what’s he’s been throughout the season. Gbinije has not only been SU’s top scorer (18.6 ppg), he’s shooting 48.5 percent from the field and 44.6 percent from downtown. And he’s consistently stuffing the stat sheet, with 4.6 assists, 4.4 rebounds and 2.7 steals per game. It’s hard to think about where Syracuse would be without him. Grade: A+

Trevor Cooney: We all know what to expect from Cooney at this point in his career. The fifth-year senior is an above average defender in the zone and wildly inconsistent on offense. For every game he’s shot well from downtown such as games against Texas Southern (4-8 from 3) or Montana State (3-6), he’s also had poor game to balance it out. Against St. John’s, Georgetown, Texas A&M and UConn, Cooney was a combined 8 for 31 from downtown. Cooney is shooting 35.1 percent both from the field, and also from 3-point land. Grade: B

Malachi Richardson: The Orange need to find a way to get Richardson going again. Through the season’s first five games, Richardson was shooting 13 for 33 from beyond the arc. But after games like an 0-11 performance against St. John’s, or and 0-4 showing against Montana State, Richardson is shooting just 26.2 percent from distance. That being said, Richardson has shown himself to be a capable rebounder (4.8 rpg) and has also shown the ability to take the ball to the basket (a team-high 55 free throw attempts). Grade: C

CV5x_z2WwAAh4in.jpg

#Cooneyface

Ten Best Syracuse Orange Memos of 2015 (TNIAAM; Keeley et al)

2015 is practically in the books and it was an...interesting...year for Syracuse Orangefans. We were witness to the worst 50-game stretch of the Jim Boeheim Era. We saw the demise of the Scott Shafer Era as well as the beginning of the Dino Babers Era. We also got to see National Championships courtesy of the Field Hockey and Men's Cross Country as well as memorable post-season runs by men's soccer and track & field (literally).

In between all of that, we had to keep ourselves busy. We had to entertain ourselves on Twitter and during the tough times and memes were the way through all of it. Even when things were bad, we could count on a fun meme or hashtag to maintain our interest and/or distract us.

Here now, are the very best ones from 2015:

Honorable Mention

#DungeyforHeisman/The Dungeyeon: Eric Dungey quarterbacked his way into our hearts almost immediately and gave us hope about the future. Hopefully that future hasn't been hit in the head too many times.

Other

19459903-mmmain.jpg

'Pottersville' Movie to be Filmed in Hamilton, NY (PS; Weaver)

Parts of the village of Hamilton – including the iconic Colgate Inn and village green – will star in the upcoming movie "Pottersville," according to government officials working with the film's makers.

Filming for the movie will begin in early January, said Hamilton Mayor Robert McVaugh, who's been working with the filmmakers for the past few weeks. Scenes are planned for Hamilton and the Syracuse area, according to Onondaga County Film Commissioner Eric Vinal.

Representatives with the project came to a Hamilton village meeting in December, McVaugh said Monday. Since then, the crew has taken over part of the Colgate Inn, using its tavern as an office as the project comes together, the mayor said.

"It's very exciting," McVaugh said today. "The shooting will probably take place over various days through much of January. They've got us pretty excited."

A partner in Ron Perlman's Wing and Prayer Pictures production company, Josh Crook, on Monday declined to provide details about the project or the filming schedule. It was also unclear who is starring in the project.

Last edited:
tick-tock-day-december-29.png

Welcome to Tick Tock Day!

December 29th is Tick Tock Day, a day to review your dreams and goals and start making them into a reality! The end of December is a popular time for looking back on the year’s accomplishments — a helpful process when it comes to shaping your resolutions for the coming year. So now is the time to make your list, check it twice (no, wait — that’s Chrsitmas), and see which boxes you haven’t been able to check off for 2015. Use the remaining days of the year to complete your goal or come up with a fool-proof plan to get it done in 2016!

SU News

20150207mfpittsports12-11.jpg

Pitt to Face Syracuse Without Orange's Legendary Coach (post-gazette.com; Zeise)

One of Jamie Dixon’s best friends in the coaching world is Syracuse’s Jim Boeheim. One of the reasons he always enjoys when the Panthers play the Orange is that the two get to catch up with each other before the game.

But Wednesday when Pitt (10-1) plays host to Syracuse (10-3) in the second game of the “ACC Tip-Off” doubleheader, Dixon will not be able to spend a few minutes with Boeheim nor will he be able to try to match wits with him during the game.

That’s because Boeheim won’t be with the Orange for three more games as he is serving a nine-game suspension for NCAA violations within the program.

The Orange, instead, will be coached by his top assistant (and the Orange head coach designate) Mike Hopkins, who has guided the team to a 4-2 record in Boeheim’s absence.

Dixon said that not having Boeheim, who 7-13 against Dixon, on the other bench will be a little bit difference because the legendary coach has been such a fixture at Syracuse for so long.

“Yeah it will be [strange],” Dixon said. “I’m good friends with Jim Boeheim and I’m good friends with Coach Hopkins, too, so I am sure Coach Hopkins and I will talk some before the game. We have been friends for a long time ... [Hopkins and I] are from the same part of California.

“So it will be interesting, but once we start the game I’m sure it will be about the players.”

19452046-mmmain.jpg

Silent G is Summa Cum Laude

2015-16 Syracuse Basketball Mid-Season Report Card (the juice; Cheng)

Syracuse has reached the end of its non-conference schedule at 10-3, and will begin conference play on Wednesday at 9 p.m. against Pitt. Before we embark on ACC games, let’s look back on the first 13 games of the season and grade the Orange:

Michael Gbinije: Interim head coach Mike Hopkins referred to Gbinije as an “alpha dog” after Syracuse’s loss to St. John’s, and that’s exactly what’s he’s been throughout the season. Gbinije has not only been SU’s top scorer (18.6 ppg), he’s shooting 48.5 percent from the field and 44.6 percent from downtown. And he’s consistently stuffing the stat sheet, with 4.6 assists, 4.4 rebounds and 2.7 steals per game. It’s hard to think about where Syracuse would be without him. Grade: A+

Trevor Cooney: We all know what to expect from Cooney at this point in his career. The fifth-year senior is an above average defender in the zone and wildly inconsistent on offense. For every game he’s shot well from downtown such as games against Texas Southern (4-8 from 3) or Montana State (3-6), he’s also had poor game to balance it out. Against St. John’s, Georgetown, Texas A&M and UConn, Cooney was a combined 8 for 31 from downtown. Cooney is shooting 35.1 percent both from the field, and also from 3-point land. Grade: B

Malachi Richardson: The Orange need to find a way to get Richardson going again. Through the season’s first five games, Richardson was shooting 13 for 33 from beyond the arc. But after games like an 0-11 performance against St. John’s, or and 0-4 showing against Montana State, Richardson is shooting just 26.2 percent from distance. That being said, Richardson has shown himself to be a capable rebounder (4.8 rpg) and has also shown the ability to take the ball to the basket (a team-high 55 free throw attempts). Grade: C

CV5x_z2WwAAh4in.jpg

#Cooneyface

Ten Best Syracuse Orange Memos of 2015 (TNIAAM; Keeley et al)

2015 is practically in the books and it was an...interesting...year for Syracuse Orangefans. We were witness to the worst 50-game stretch of the Jim Boeheim Era. We saw the demise of the Scott Shafer Era as well as the beginning of the Dino Babers Era. We also got to see National Championships courtesy of the Field Hockey and Men's Cross Country as well as memorable post-season runs by men's soccer and track & field (literally).

In between all of that, we had to keep ourselves busy. We had to entertain ourselves on Twitter and during the tough times and memes were the way through all of it. Even when things were bad, we could count on a fun meme or hashtag to maintain our interest and/or distract us.

Here now, are the very best ones from 2015:

Honorable Mention

#DungeyforHeisman/The Dungeyeon: Eric Dungey quarterbacked his way into our hearts almost immediately and gave us hope about the future. Hopefully that future hasn't been hit in the head too many times.

Other

19459903-mmmain.jpg

'Pottersville' Movie to be Filmed in Hamilton, NY (PS; Weaver)

Parts of the village of Hamilton – including the iconic Colgate Inn and village green – will star in the upcoming movie "Pottersville," according to government officials working with the film's makers.

Filming for the movie will begin in early January, said Hamilton Mayor Robert McVaugh, who's been working with the filmmakers for the past few weeks. Scenes are planned for Hamilton and the Syracuse area, according to Onondaga County Film Commissioner Eric Vinal.

Representatives with the project came to a Hamilton village meeting in December, McVaugh said Monday. Since then, the crew has taken over part of the Colgate Inn, using its tavern as an office as the project comes together, the mayor said.

"It's very exciting," McVaugh said today. "The shooting will probably take place over various days through much of January. They've got us pretty excited."

A partner in Ron Perlman's Wing and Prayer Pictures production company, Josh Crook, on Monday declined to provide details about the project or the filming schedule. It was also unclear who is starring in the project.
"Pottersville" makes me think of "It's a Wonderful Life". The Lionel Barrymore villain was named Potter, and in the alternate universe that the angel Clarence showed George Bailey, the town was called "Pottersville".

"Pottersville" makes me think of "It's a Wonderful Life". The Lionel Barrymore villain was named Potter, and in the alternate universe that the angel Clarence showed George Bailey, the town was called "Pottersville".
Yes, if they wanted the look of Hamilton, one would think the movie would be titled 'Bedford Falls' instead.

Jamie Dixon and Boeheim are good friends? I am surprised, because I think Dixon is kind of a d(supply your own letters) during and immediately after games. Also, I was surprised but then not surprised to read that Boeheim is 7 - 13 against Dixon. It's not our imaginations! There are good reasons for paranoia and doomsaying! (donning crepe)

Jamie Dixon and Boeheim are good friends? I am surprised, because I think Dixon is kind of a d(supply your own letters) during and immediately after games. Also, I was surprised but then not surprised to read that Boeheim is 7 - 13 against Dixon. It's not our imaginations! There are good reasons for paranoia and doomsaying! (donning crepe)

You don't remember the famous press conference in 2011 after Donna wrote how he can't beat Dixon or Pitino?

You don't remember the famous press conference in 2011 after Donna wrote how he can't beat Dixon or Pitino?
No. The Supreme Being has mercifully blocked it from my memory banks.