Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
national-corn-chip-day.jpg

Welcome to National Corn Chip Day!

National Corn Chip Day celebrates the Corn Chip. Fifty years ago, few Americans knew what Corn Chips were. Today, most American can not imagine life without this tasty, crunchy holder of salsa, cheese and (mostly) mexican dips. Its even sprinkled atop salads, making salads even more crunchy.

On National Corn Chip Day, enjoy eating one of your favorite snacks. And, take our Corn Chip challenge...eat corn chips for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks today! I don't know about you. But, I will find that easy to do.

SU News

19639226-standard.jpg

SU Defeats ND 81-66 (photo gallery; PS; Axe)

No one likes to see Notre Dame on the schedule more than Trevor Cooney, who scored 22 points on Thursday night, bouncing back from scoring just eight against Virginia.

"He's been the designated Irish killer," ND head coach Mike Brey said earlier this week. "I mean, has the guy missed a shot against us in the last two years? It's unbelievable. So you know I'm always concerned about him, and he's had a great career.

Cooney dropped 33 on the Irish in 2014 and had nine crunch-time points (all with a sprained back) to help SU upset then-No. 9 Notre Dame last season.

"Gerry (McNamara) and him, it must be the Irish thing," Jim Boeheim said after the game. "They have all-time careers against this team."

usa-today-9082600.0.jpg

"Irish Killer" Trevor Cooney Strikes Again (TNIAAM; Gilberg)

Prior to Thursday night's game between theSyracuse Orange and Notre Dame Fighting Irish, ND coach Mike Brey dubbed Syracuse shooting guard Trevor Cooney "the designated Irish killer" during the ACC coaches teleconference on Monday.

Cooney sure lived up to his new nickname, draining his first five shot attempts to open the game. He remained hot the rest of the way, scoring 15 of his game-high 22 points within the first 16 minutes to give the Orange a comfortable 44-27 lead at the half.

Cooney went three-for-eight from behind the arc in addition to draining all five of his free throw attempts. Those three three-pointers moved Cooney to third on Syracuse's all-time three-pointer list, behind only Gerry McNamara and Andy Rautins, respectively.

As both Syracuse and Notre Dame fans surely know, Cooney has made a living off of breaking Notre Dame's heart. Two years ago, Cooney drained nine three-pointers en route to scoring a career high 33 points against the Irish. Last season, Cooney scored two late baskets just 80 seconds apart to lift Syracuse to a 65-60 upset over then-ranked No. 9 Notre Dame.

"I don't know [why I play well against Notre Dame]," Cooney said after the game. "I was just able to get going early and make some plays and it went in for me early, which was good."

zach-auguste-ncaa-basketball-notre-dame-syracuse-768x0.jpg

ND Struggles Without Jackson (slapthesign.com; Kelley)

The Notre Dame men’s basketball team fell to Syracuse in the Carrier Dome on Thursday in sloppy fashion, 81-66, and Demetrius Jackson’s presence was clearly missed.

Jackson, the Irish’s unrivaled leader, sat out with a pulled hamstring that he suffered against Boston College.

Without its facilitator and leading scorer on the floor, Notre Dame struggled to get anything going against Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim’s patented zone defense. Throughout the first half, their inability to create off dribble penetration led to turnovers and far too many shots from the perimeter. The Irish had been the best team in the country in regard to turnovers coming into tonight, averaging just 9.2 per game. Syracuse forced them into nine turnovers before halftime.

While they only turned it over once in the second half, the Irish were never able to climb out of the hole they dug for themselves.

Syracuse guard Trevor Cooney, who led the Orange with 22 points, spoke with the ESPN2 broadcasters after the game. He told them that the only thing that has changed since Boeheim returned from his suspension is their defensive intensity. That was definitely on display tonight, and the Orange have won four of their last five games.

Notre Dame had also won four of its last five and finally climbed into the top 25 this week, albeit as the 25th seed.

Other

12654351-10207327333035330-6889685459328512162-njpg-def6fc23af981254.jpg

Blizzard of 1966: Share Your Memories, Photos of Epic Storm (PS; Healy)

Fifty years ago, on Jan. 30, 1966, it began snowing. And when it was over, more than 42 inches fell on Syracuse.

The Blizzard of 1966 left many in Syracuse and Central New York buried under several feet of snow. The city shut down, schools closed and business was at a standstill.

As the community looks back on this historic winter storm, dig through your personal archives and share your memories and photos of the blizzard with syracuse.com.

Did you build an especially epic snow fort? Do you recall shoveling for days? Perhaps you remember enjoying the days off from school. Whatever your memories may be, share them in the comments below.

Here's how to get us your blizzard photos:

Upload your photos to syracuse.com:

1) Take a photo. Sign in to syracuse.com using your syracuse.com community account. If you don't have an account, you can register for free.

national-corn-chip-day.jpg

Welcome to National Corn Chip Day!

National Corn Chip Day celebrates the Corn Chip. Fifty years ago, few Americans knew what Corn Chips were. Today, most American can not imagine life without this tasty, crunchy holder of salsa, cheese and (mostly) mexican dips. Its even sprinkled atop salads, making salads even more crunchy.

On National Corn Chip Day, enjoy eating one of your favorite snacks. And, take our Corn Chip challenge...eat corn chips for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks today! I don't know about you. But, I will find that easy to do.

SU News

19639226-standard.jpg

SU Defeats ND 81-66 (photo gallery; PS; Axe)

No one likes to see Notre Dame on the schedule more than Trevor Cooney, who scored 22 points on Thursday night, bouncing back from scoring just eight against Virginia.

"He's been the designated Irish killer," ND head coach Mike Brey said earlier this week. "I mean, has the guy missed a shot against us in the last two years? It's unbelievable. So you know I'm always concerned about him, and he's had a great career.

Cooney dropped 33 on the Irish in 2014 and had nine crunch-time points (all with a sprained back) to help SU upset then-No. 9 Notre Dame last season.

"Gerry (McNamara) and him, it must be the Irish thing," Jim Boeheim said after the game. "They have all-time careers against this team."

usa-today-9082600.0.jpg

"Irish Killer" Trevor Cooney Strikes Again (TNIAAM; Gilberg)

Prior to Thursday night's game between theSyracuse Orange and Notre Dame Fighting Irish, ND coach Mike Brey dubbed Syracuse shooting guard Trevor Cooney "the designated Irish killer" during the ACC coaches teleconference on Monday.

Cooney sure lived up to his new nickname, draining his first five shot attempts to open the game. He remained hot the rest of the way, scoring 15 of his game-high 22 points within the first 16 minutes to give the Orange a comfortable 44-27 lead at the half.

Cooney went three-for-eight from behind the arc in addition to draining all five of his free throw attempts. Those three three-pointers moved Cooney to third on Syracuse's all-time three-pointer list, behind only Gerry McNamara and Andy Rautins, respectively.

As both Syracuse and Notre Dame fans surely know, Cooney has made a living off of breaking Notre Dame's heart. Two years ago, Cooney drained nine three-pointers en route to scoring a career high 33 points against the Irish. Last season, Cooney scored two late baskets just 80 seconds apart to lift Syracuse to a 65-60 upset over then-ranked No. 9 Notre Dame.

"I don't know [why I play well against Notre Dame]," Cooney said after the game. "I was just able to get going early and make some plays and it went in for me early, which was good."

zach-auguste-ncaa-basketball-notre-dame-syracuse-768x0.jpg

ND Struggles Without Jackson (slapthesign.com; Kelley)

The Notre Dame men’s basketball team fell to Syracuse in the Carrier Dome on Thursday in sloppy fashion, 81-66, and Demetrius Jackson’s presence was clearly missed.

Jackson, the Irish’s unrivaled leader, sat out with a pulled hamstring that he suffered against Boston College.

Without its facilitator and leading scorer on the floor, Notre Dame struggled to get anything going against Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim’s patented zone defense. Throughout the first half, their inability to create off dribble penetration led to turnovers and far too many shots from the perimeter. The Irish had been the best team in the country in regard to turnovers coming into tonight, averaging just 9.2 per game. Syracuse forced them into nine turnovers before halftime.

While they only turned it over once in the second half, the Irish were never able to climb out of the hole they dug for themselves.

Syracuse guard Trevor Cooney, who led the Orange with 22 points, spoke with the ESPN2 broadcasters after the game. He told them that the only thing that has changed since Boeheim returned from his suspension is their defensive intensity. That was definitely on display tonight, and the Orange have won four of their last five games.

Notre Dame had also won four of its last five and finally climbed into the top 25 this week, albeit as the 25th seed.

Other

12654351-10207327333035330-6889685459328512162-njpg-def6fc23af981254.jpg

Blizzard of 1966: Share Your Memories, Photos of Epic Storm (PS; Healy)

Fifty years ago, on Jan. 30, 1966, it began snowing. And when it was over, more than 42 inches fell on Syracuse.

The Blizzard of 1966 left many in Syracuse and Central New York buried under several feet of snow. The city shut down, schools closed and business was at a standstill.

As the community looks back on this historic winter storm, dig through your personal archives and share your memories and photos of the blizzard with syracuse.com.

Did you build an especially epic snow fort? Do you recall shoveling for days? Perhaps you remember enjoying the days off from school. Whatever your memories may be, share them in the comments below.

Here's how to get us your blizzard photos:

Upload your photos to syracuse.com:

1) Take a photo. Sign in to syracuse.com using your syracuse.com community account. If you don't have an account, you can register for free.
I remember, in Rochester, we were out of school for a week with that blizzard. And we DID build an epic snow fort. Good times. Hope to see you this weekend in the Dome. Annual trip.

I remember, in Rochester, we were out of school for a week with that blizzard. And we DID build an epic snow fort. Good times. Hope to see you this weekend in the Dome. Annual trip.
Hope to run into you too.

Maybe it is because I was a little kid at the time, but I think the Blizzard of 66 was at least twice as big as any other storm I have seen in CNY. The snow was so high it was not possible to open the front or side doors at my house and my father had to leave the house through a second floor window. A snow drift came up to the roof of the house and he was able to walk down it and eventually make his way to the street.

For a week or so we were able to walk to the roof of the house and the roof of the garage and we built our own epic snow fort in the drift that had plenty of room forus to install chairs and a card table.

Good times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom