Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Magna%2BCarta%2BBanner%2Bmark%2B1.jpg

Welcome to Magna Carta Day!

Following a revolt by the English nobility against his rule, King John puts his royal seal on the Magna Carta, or “Great Charter.” The document, essentially a peace treaty between John and his barons, guaranteed that the king would respect feudal rights and privileges, uphold the freedom of the church, and maintain the nation’s laws. Although more a reactionary than a progressive document in its day, the Magna Carta was seen as a cornerstone in the development of democratic England by later generations.

SU News

20571821-mmmain.jpg

Syracuse football recruiting: Pennsylvania WR Raheem Blackshear to visit on Sunday (PS; Bailey)

Syracuse will host at least two Class of 2017 targets with scholarship offers this weekend.

One, New Jersey outside linebacker James McCarthy, discussed his recruitment and relationship with SU on Friday. The other, Pennsylvania inside receiver Raheem Blackshear, did the same on Tuesday.

The 5-foot-10, 170-pound Blackshear is not rated by the major recruiting services and also holds offers from Army, Navy, Temple and Buffalo, among others. He helped lead Archbishop Wood (Warminster, Penn.) High School to a PCL Class AAA championship last fall, scoring a league-record seven touchdowns in one game.

Replacing ACC Football Divisions With Permanent Rivals Scheduling Plan (TNIAAM; Cassillo)

We've discussed before, but why not do so again?

Previously, we talked about replacing ACC football divisions altogether and using three permanent rivals while rotating the other five opponents. BC Interruption editor emeritus Brian Favat did too, using the pretty solid setup you'll see at that link. Jason Kirk and Bill Connelly put the idea to good use with the SEC this morning, acknowledging that league also has too many rivalries to make it work perfectly.

The ACC doesn't have this problem given its realignment history. From 1954 to 1971, it was an eight-team team conference, going back down to seven from 1972 (after South Carolina left) to 1982. It jumped back up to eight when Georgia Tech became a full member in 1983. Then up to nine in 1992 when Florida State became a full member. From 2004 to 2013, six more football members -- Miami, Virginia Tech, Boston College, Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Louisville -- were added, while Maryland left the league following the 2013 season. With nearly half the league arriving in the last 25 years, the ACC enjoys a flexibility the SEC (with four new members in the last 25 seasons) simply can't.

On the flip side, instead of each team having too many rivals, most have too few. That makes for some awkward marriages, as you'll see below. Many are either rooted in the old ACC or the old Big East, but of course, you can't please everyone. Below are the proposed permanent rivals for each of the 14 schools:

ACC_Permanent_Rivals.0.JPG

USF Bulls — 2016 Syracuse Football preview (the juice; Cheng)

As we countdown to kickoff in September, we’re going to be doing a team-by-team preview each week over the summer. SU will continue its 2016 non-conference schedule when it hosts USF on Sept. 17.

AAC FAVORITES: There is a buzz about the 2016 USF team that hasn’t been there since the end of Jim Leavitt’s head coaching tenure—and for good reason. The Bulls were one of the hottest teams in college football to close the 2015 season, with South Florida winning seven of its final eight games. The only blip was to a Navy team that would go on to win 11 games. Though the Bulls lost to Western Kentucky in the Miami Beach Bowl, it was still its first bowl appearance since 2010, and USF returns many of its weapons from last season.

WHO TO WATCH FOR: It was a breakout season for junior quarterback Quinton Flowers, who threw for 2296 yards and 22 touchdowns, while rushing for 991 yards and 12 more scores on the ground. Syracuse fans probably don’t need any introduction to Flowers, who gashed the Orange for 259 yards through the air (a season high) along with three total touchdowns in a 45-24 win last year. USF also returns its top running back (Marlon Mack – 1381 yards, eight TDs) and receiver (Rodney Adams – 822 yards, nine TDs). On defense, coordinator Tom Allen left for Indiana in the offseason. Allen’s 4-2-5 allowed for the Bulls to finish a respectable 52nd in the NCAA in defense, holding opponents to 380.5 yards per game. But the Bulls return middle linebacker Auggie Sanchez, who led the team with 117 tackles.

Syracuse Football 2016 Opponent Preview: Clemson Tigers (TNIAAM; Cassillo)

I could be much meaner than I am below, trust me.

The college football season is approaching pretty quickly, even if the Syracuse Orange kick off six days later on a Friday. As you already knew (since we're pretty far into these), we've been taking a look at all of SU's opponents for this fall. The schedule is still as difficult as always. Just the same, we're choosing an optimistic outlook on each week, where possible. Today, we test that with the:

Clemson Tigers
School: Clemson
Mascot: Tigers
#BRAND Slogan: "All In"
Alternate #BRAND Slogan Suggestions: "DISRESPECKTED Since 1896." "One of Five Orange Teams in the ACC."
Recommended Blog: Troy Nunes Is An Absolute Magician Shakin' the Southland
Conference: ACC
Coach: Dabo Swinney, 8th (full) year. Since assuming the Clemson head coaching role mid-way through 2008, Swinney has gone 75-27, including 48-14 in the ACC, and turned the Tigers into a national power. While the program has always historically been viewed favorably and as a league title contender, their ascension to national contender status is a recent phenomenon. Swinney has managed to cultivate a winning and fun culture that's attracted some of the nation's top recruiting classes in recent years. Clemson fell five points short of a national championship last season, much to your author's (and probably your) amusement.
2015 Record: (14-1) (8-0)

Deadline for Syracuse football 'Orange Out' t-shirt design contest is near (PS; Axe)

Do you have the next great t-shirt idea in mind for Syracuse University sports?

Would you like to see that t-shirt idea on display at the Carrier Dome on September 9 when the Syracuse University football team takes on Louisville?

You better get moving.

SU is looking for a fan-designed orange t-shirt for the 'Orange Out' campaign against the Cardinals. The deadline to submit your entry is June 15.

A release from SU athletics says "designs should emphasize the community's support for Syracuse football. It must be tailored for an orange t-shirt and is limited to one or two colors. The work must be completely original and appropriate."

Designs will be judged based on "creativity, consistency with the 'Orange Out' theme and how well it portrays the dedication and teamwork of the Orange."

Other

20572633-mmmain.jpg

Booze for Sunday brunch and football: Bar owners cheer end to morning sales ban (PS; Cazentre)

Last fall, the Louisiana State University football team and its hordes of fans descended on Syracuse for a Saturday afternoon game against the SU Orange.

Many of those fans, who promised to "drink this town dry," spent the night in Syracuse and then ventured out the next morning, Many showed up at Empire Brewing Co. in Armory Square for its famous Sunday Blues Brunch.

That's when they discovered a wrinkle in New York state liquor law: Even though Empire starts its brunch at 10 a.m., the state prohibited liquor, wine or beer sales before noon on Sunday.

"They were astounded that this law even existed," said Empire owner David Katleski, whose restaurant makes its own beer and serves wine and liquor. "It wasn't just them. Every Sunday after an SU game we have out-of-town fans coming in before they leave town and finding that we can't serve them alcohol."

Well if those fans are from the South they wouldn't be too astounded about no alcohol sales until after Noon on Sunday. That's standard down here.

Well if those fans are from the South they wouldn't be too astounded about no alcohol sales until after Noon on Sunday. That's standard down here.
That law still sneaks up on me occasionally. I like to get errands out of the way early in the AM, and if I ever go to the store and grab some beer with the groceries or pick some up at Wal-Mart with other supplies, I get shot down at least once or twice a year.

That law still sneaks up on me occasionally. I like to get errands out of the way early in the AM, and if I ever go to the store and grab some beer with the groceries or pick some up at Wal-Mart with other supplies, I get shot down at least once or twice a year.
You would have really hated blue laws... when nothing was open in the South on Sundays. ;)

Yeah, I think that article is exaggerating the reaction. It's the same here in Texas.

You would have really hated blue laws... when nothing was open in the South on Sundays. ;)
Still that way in Bergen County NJ. Actually it was until recently. I think it is now down to Paramus and Wyckoff NJ.

Map of LA parishes and their respective restrictions on sales. As you can see there are no restrictions on sales at all in all of southern LA. Some in northern LA.

Louisiana Liquor Laws

Lived in Louisiana for six years. It would surprise them as it is pretty normal to drink bloody mary's and mimosas prior to noon. Having worked in restaurants in both NYS and La. I was surprised when I could serve alcohol before noon.

Last edited: