Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
FriedChickenDay.png

Welcome to National Fried Chicken DAY!

It’s National Fried Chicken Day! Today we honor a classic American dish. To make this flavorful favorite, coat a piece of chicken in homemade batter and fry it – it's easy! The result is a piece of perfectly cooked chicken that’s crunchy on the outside and juicy on the inside. Yum!

American fried chicken has its roots in the Southern United States, but Europeans have been eating fried chicken since the Middle Ages. During that time, cooks discovered that covering meat in flour and spices before cooking it helped seal in the flavor and made it easier to eat on-the-go.

SU News

-98414160e1140a87.jpg

Syracuse football recruiting: 2017 class (list of commitments) (PS; Mink)

Dino Babers' first full recruiting class is rounding into shape.

Headlined by Elite 11 quarterback Tommy DeVito, the 2017 class will set the foundation for Babers' early tenure at Syracuse.

We will update this chart through national signing day on Feb. 1, 2017.

2017 commitments
Name (Pos) star rating Ht./Wt. School Notable offers
Tommy DeVito (QB)
★ ★ ★ 6-1 1/2/190 Don Bosco Prep (Ramsey, N.J.) Syracuse, Boston College, Maryland, Rutgers
Sharod Johnson (WR)
★ ★ ★ 5-11/174 Booker T. Washington (Miami) Syracuse, Purdue, Illinois, UCF
Zach Morton (DE/LB)
★ ★ ★ 6-4/222 Cass Tech (Detroit) Syracuse, Bowling Green, Iowa State, Cincinnati
Tyrell Richards (LB)
No rating 6-3/225 Central Peel Secondary School (Brampton, Ontario) Syracuse
Nykeim Johnson (WR)
★ ★ ★ 5-9/167 Friendship Academy (Washington, D.C.) Syracuse, Virginia, Charlotte,

usa-today-8846493.0.jpg

Syracuse Football 2016 Preview: Ranking Top Five Opposing Offensive Linemen (TNIAAM; Cassillo)

In past years, we've come up with some creative ways to rank ACC players, Syracuse Orange football opponents and more, in the lead-up to the new season. This year, we're going position by position, ranking the top five players SU faces at each. These are obviously just pulled from the 12 scheduled opponents, and only those. So when you ask "where is ACC player X?" or "how can you skip ACC player Y?"... that's how.

Today:

Top Five Opposing Offensive Linemen
1. Roderick Johnson, Left Tackle, Florida State Seminoles

A returning 1st-team All-ACC player, the junior could very well be on of the top offensive tackles in the country. Johnson is a massive body on the line, at 6-foot-7 and 307 pounds, and already has a year-and-a-half of starts under his belt. He was instrumental when Florida State's quarterbacks stayed up right (26 sacks against ranked about middle of the country), and obviously helped facilitate Dalvin Cook's breakout year at running back too. This line brings a good deal of experience (ahem: everyone's back), but none more crucial than Johnson's.

2. Mitch Hyatt, Left Tackle, Clemson Tigers

Wake Forest Demon Deacons — 2016 Syracuse Football preview )the juice; Cheng)

As we countdown to kickoff in September, we’re going to be doing a team-by-team preview each week over the summer. SU will continue its 2016 non-conference schedule when it plays Wake Forest on Oct. 8.

BOWL GAME?: Wake Forest head coach Dave Clawson is now in the third year of his reclamation project with the Deacons. In his first two seasons, Wake Forest has gone 3-9, but there is some room for optimism year three. Perhaps the biggest reason will be the offensive line, which has been among the NCAA’s worst in the last two seasons. That unit returns four starters, including a pair of seniors. That should help an offense that finished 119th in the FBS last year at 17.4 points per game. With that in mind, Clawson has set the bar relatively high for the 2016 season, saying that he expects the Deacons to play in a bowl this December.

» Related: Notre Dame — 2016 Syracuse Football preview

WHO TO WATCH FOR: Last season, the Demon Deacons were forced to press true freshman Kendall Hinton into service after injuries to starter John Wolford. Wolford, now a junior, is the more accurate passer of the two (1791 yards at 60.9 completion percentage), but Hinton was by far the more explosive of the two. He finished second on the team in rushing with 390 yards and also scored seven touchdowns, while throwing for 929 yards, but only completed 52 percent of his passes. Clawson has yet to name a starter for the fall. On the other side of the ball, Wake Forest’s strength is in its defensive line. Junior defensive lineman Wendell Dunn was eighth on the team in tackles last season, including 7.5 tackles for loss. Fellow junior DL Duke Ejiofo led the team with 4.5 sacks despite missing the first five games of the season.

PREDICTION: Syracuse has had Wake Forest’s number since the 2011 season, winning four straight matchups. They are evenly matched this season, but advantage goes to the home team. SYRACUSE 24, WAKE FOREST 21.

Ranking the ACC's best and worst football uniforms (cbssports.com; Fornelli)

14. Louisville: There are so many reasons I don't like the Louisville uniforms, but the biggest is the all-black gothic look that the Cardinals have worn too many times lately. I have no idea what the hell they're trying to pull off with those, other than saying, "We love Scandinavian death metal." Then there's the logo. Do you know of a lot of cardinals with teeth? Because apparently the fine folks of Louisville seem to believe that cardinals have teeth and that beaks can bare those teeth for all to see when cardinals are angry. I live inIllinois. Our state bird is the cardinal. I see cardinals all the time. I've never seen one with teeth.

13. Boston College: Too plain and boring. Kind of like Boston College football itself lately. I don't mind logo-less helmets -- in fact, I often prefer them -- nor do I mind a minimalist approach. I often find simpler to be better. But for some reason, it just doesn't work for Boston College. Then there's the font of the numbers, which just looks out of place with the rest of the design.

12. Syracuse: I typically enjoy the combination of blue and orange but those complimentary colors can only do so much for Syracuse. Syracuse's uniforms have always looked like the kind of uniforms you could design when you were able to create your own school on NCAA Football back in the day. They're just extremely generic, and now even after a rebrand, Cuse just made things worse. The dumb-looking font of the numbers, the random gradients and the gray. Why the hell is a team whose mascot is literally the color orange wearing so much gray?

Henrietta native's Kanga Klothing helps in the cold (D&C; Walter)

You never know where you’ll be when inspiration strikes.

Henrietta native Jerome Watts was tailgating at a Syracuse football game one cold day in 2014 when it came.

As happens a lot in western New York, a cold snap had kicked in, so he pulled his arms out of his sweatshirt’s sleeves to keep them closer to his body.

“I’m a huge sports fan, but I’m not a huge cold weather fan,” said Watts, 45, a former Rush-Henrietta and Rochester City School District teacher and administrator.

A thought then struck him: Why has no one ever put pockets on the inside of garments for situations like these?

As that winter wore on, he noticed students walking to or from school, people on the street and a range of others did the same thing. The more he witnessed that, the more he saw a potentially untapped market.

“It was a combination of seeing people out in the cold, dealing with the cold but not really having the clothing for it,” said Watts.

The end result is Kanga Klothing, a fledging apparel line that features hidden pockets for warmth inside the body of garments and within the sleeves. Kanga — a play on the word Kangaroo — believes it offers a key advantage over traditional hoodies and shirts: flexibility.

Offseason College Football Conference Rankings For 2016 - (campusinsiders.com; Fiutak)

4. ACC
Clemson, Florida State, and Louisville – really, watch out for the Cardinals to potentially shock the conference – are all fantastic on a national title contender scale, but is the rest of the ACC ready to step up?

The Coastal just isn’t as good, but Miami should be a player right away under Mark Richt. North Carolina will still be dangerous, Duke will have its moments, and Pitt and Georgia Tech will still be better, but with Bronco Mendenhall taking over Virginia, and Justin Fuente stepping in at Virginia Tech, the division has three new head coaches.

Wake Forest has its best team in years, the Syracuse offense should explode under Dino Babers, Boston College has the defense, and NC State is overdue, but again, the spotlight is on the Atlantic’s superstars.

3. Pac-12
The Pac-12 has a little of the same issue the Big 12 is facing – where’s the top dog?

2. Big Ten

Three of the league’s mediocre teams – Illinois, Maryland and Rutgers – should get an instant infusion of better coaching with their respective changes, and Purdue has the best team yet under Darrell Hazell. And those are the most likely four-worst teams in the conference.

1. SEC

Other

20693416-mmmain.jpg

Was 50 1/8-inch tiger muskie landed in a tiny CNY lake a new state record? (PS; Figura)

Dalton Christiantelli said he was fishing for largemouth bass with a topwater lure when the big tiger muskie hit Sunday evening on Lake Como.

"I spotted him along the edge of where I was fishing," he said. "I cast a Spook (lure) toward him and I was surprised that he hit it."

A 25-minute battle followed on the tiny lake in southwestern Cayuga County. Christiantelli said he only had 4-pound test line and no net to land the fish that he later measured as being 50 1/8 inches long.

His fishing buddy, Erick Nash, of Dryden, was also in the boat and ended up grabbing and getting the fish in the boat with his bare hands – seriously cutting up one of his thumbs in the process.

"Without Erick, I think that fish would have just been a fish tale. He definitely was a major factor in the landing of the fish," Christiantelli said.

Christiantelli said his buddy wrapped his bloody hand up and the two drove to an emergency room in Cortland. "He got five stitches. We started calling it the '5-stitch fish.' "

The current state record for a tiger muskie was caught by Brett Gofgosky in 1990 in the Tioughnioga River on a sucker. It measured 50 inches, slightly smaller than Christiantelli's fish. However, weight is the deciding factor in New York's fish records.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom