Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
moon-day.jpg

Welcome to Moon Day!

Moon Day commemorates the day man first walked on the moon in 1969.

The Apollo Space program, begun by President John F. Kennedy, was created to put the first man on the moon. Apollo 11 fulfilled that dream, carrying astronauts Neil Armstrong, Michael Collins, and Edwin Aldrin, Jr. What an amazing and historic event it was!

On July 16, 1969, Apollo 11 was launched from Cape Kennedy Space Center atop a huge Saturn V rocket. On July 20, 1969, the Lunar Module, nicknamed the "Eagle", touched down on the surface of the moon at Tranquility Base. Upon landing, Apollo 11 Commander Neil Armstrong reported "The Eagle Has Landed". A few hours later, Neil Armstrong, stepped off of the Eagle's ladder, placed one foot upon the moon's surface and proclaimed: "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind".

SU News

ACC Network will not close gap with SEC (greenvilleonline.com; Robinson)

Waiting for the Atlantic Coast Conference Network cable channel has been like waiting for…well, the cable guy. We have been given a broad range and a lot of hopeful projections, but the picture is still unclear.

Instead of an appointment time of noon to 6 p.m., the ACC range is three years.

According to a report from ESPN’s Brett McMurphy, the ACC has agreed to extend its television rights deal with ESPN for 20 years through the 2035-36 academic year. This extension would include a broader digital ACC Network that will expand this fall. According to the report, a linear ACC Network channel also is scheduled to launch in 2019.

ACC Commissioner John Swofford is expected to reveal details of the agreement Thursday morning during the ACC Kickoff media event in Charlotte.

Don’t set your DVR just yet.

The last few years of overtures should have conditioned us with caution. The sluggish pace to even reach this point of promise should temper one’s confidence. Too much uncertainty lies between now and that scheduled launch.

MA’s All-Star Sidney Mims training for Auburn (montgomeryadviser.com; Bernal)

July 21 and Aug. 17.

The first is Thursday at Cramton Bowl, for the 57th annual North-South Football All-Star Game.
The next is for his tryout at Auburn.

“What I’m trying to do this game is to get better,” Mims said. “That’s every day, just to get better and take the momentum from this game to that walk-on tryout.”

The 6-foot-5, 245-pound defensive end passed on offers from Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Navy to try and walk on at his school of choice.

Mims’ interest in architecture led him to Auburn, and he hopes the All-Star Game will lead him to Jordan-Hare Stadium.

“I chose the college not because of football, I chose college because of my career,” Mims said. “I want to do architecture, and I know that Auburn’s a good school. I chose the school for school and not for football.”

Mims had 49 tackles and 10 tackles for loss this season, and caught for 186 yards and four touchdowns at tight end. With just a short week to prepare, Mims said the team is focusing on building chemistry. That should be easier now with the addition of four players from the Montgomery area to the roster.

20761899-mmmain.jpg

How John Wildhack rose from couch-surfer to Syracuse University athletic director (PS; Carlson)

John Wildhack spent the summer after his senior year working as a golf course groundskeeper, moved onto his older brother's couch and quickly came to a realization.

College graduation had passed. The real world had arrived. He needed a job.

Wildhack's first job interview came with a cable company in Syracuse, where he hoped to remain after college. His brother, Henry, recalled that Wildhack was passed over, ultimately sending him off to an organization in Connecticut that the family knew little about.

"I didn't get the job," John told Henry one night, in an apartment on Onondaga Hill. "I guess I've got to go to Connecticut."

"What's in Connecticut?" Henry asked.

"That cable sports thing," John answered. "EPSN (sic). Or whatever that is. They want to interview me."

John Wildhack borrowed his brother's new car to make a good impression. He survived the interview, and was hired as a production assistant at ESPN in 1980. It was hard to imagine at the time that the college kid shunned by a local cable company would someday be cutting deals worth billions of dollars and returning to run an athletic department that, to many, is the pride of the region.

But Wildhack's introduction to the sports industry reflects many of the qualities that his supporters rave about and why, many believe, he's an ideal fit for the Syracuse athletic department. Those who have worked with Wildhack describe a steady persona with relatively little ego, someone easy to talk to and get along with, and a world-class leader returning to Central New York because of his deep regional roots.

http://img.At their request, this network is being blocked from this site./sites/default/files/2016/02/28/Grissom.jpg?w=620&h=350&fit=crop&rect=4,0,1275,720

Quarterback transfers growing trend on prep landscape (detroitnews.com; Goricki)

Transfer seems to be the theme for high school quarterbacks this offseason.

Come the fall ...

■Jairus Grissom leaves Dearborn Heights Robichaud for River Rouge.
■Dwan Mathis leaves Belleville for Oak Park.
■Jahz Watts leaves Ypsilanti Community for Belleville.
■Caden Prieskorn leaves Lake Orion for Orchard Lake St. Mary’s.
■Ladarius Jefferson leaves East Marion High (Columbia, Miss.) for Muskegon.

“There are a lot of reasons kids transfer, and it’s not the kid that transfers himself,” Belleville coach Jermain Crowell said. “A parent felt he had a better opportunity either in football or feels the school is better academically. Every place is not for everybody and you don’t want them to stay if they don’t want to be there because that causes more problems than it’s worth.

“Social media is what changed things. Folks believe what is out there on Twitter. I don’t like kids transferring, but I don’t want to deal with parents who don’t want their kids here, don’t believe in what we’re doing because that poisons and corrupts the whole team.”

Grissom leads the pack, though.

A three-star senior, the 6-foot-3, 215-pound Grissom is a dual-threat quarterback who has received several verbal offers — among them Houston, N.C. State, Syracuse, Purdue, Indiana, Rutgers and multiple Mid-America schools.

Other

-0c54f12f7ebdf00a.jpg

The Mackenzie-Childs Barn Sale in the Highlight of the Year in Aurora...

Zac Brown Band, MacKenzie-Childs Barn Sale, Slipknot: 17 things to do this weekend in CNY (PS; Pucci)

Whether your ideal night out involves headbanging or unashamedly playing Pokemon Go in public, this weekend in Central New York has something for you.

Valley Field Days

Now in its 83rd year, Valley Field Days brings food, rides, games, fireworks and fun to Syracuse's Valley neighborhood. The four-day festival kicks off Wednesday morning with special needs children's day, when about 800 children from across the country will enjoy the rides, games and lunch prior to the event opening to the general public.

All proceeds benefit various community organizations and civic groups, as well as the Valley Men's Club annual Christmas tree lighting and other events.

Where: Meachem Field, West Seneca Turnpike, Syracuse, N.Y., 13202.
When: Wednesday, July 20 to Saturday, July 23, from 1 to 10 p.m.
How much: Free admission. Bring money for rides, food and souvenirs.

Brooklyn Brewery Beer and Food Pairing

Enjoy delicious craft brews and a delectable five-course small plates dinner, all for a good cause. All proceeds go to Syracuse Sounds of Music Association, a group that supports non-profit music organizations across Central New York.

Where: Central New York Community Foundation, 431 E. Fayette St., Syracuse, N.Y., 13202.
When: Wednesday, July 20, at 5 p.m.
How much: Tickets are $45 and are available online atwww.syracusesoundsofmusic.org.

Okay, that Greenville Online "article" should be listed as an editorial. Nothing in it provides proof that the ACC won't or can't close the gap with the SEC. Actually, the author just speculates it won't based on some of the league's less stellar football matchups. I have all the confidence that the league would not have A) extended the ESPN tv agreement 20 years and B) extend the GOR the same length, if they are not getting a hefty payout to close that gap. They aren't that stupid...are they?

moon-day.jpg

Welcome to Moon Day!

Moon Day commemorates the day man first walked on the moon in 1969.

The Apollo Space program, begun by President John F. Kennedy, was created to put the first man on the moon. Apollo 11 fulfilled that dream, carrying astronauts Neil Armstrong, Michael Collins, and Edwin Aldrin, Jr. What an amazing and historic event it was!

On July 16, 1969, Apollo 11 was launched from Cape Kennedy Space Center atop a huge Saturn V rocket. On July 20, 1969, the Lunar Module, nicknamed the "Eagle", touched down on the surface of the moon at Tranquility Base. Upon landing, Apollo 11 Commander Neil Armstrong reported "The Eagle Has Landed". A few hours later, Neil Armstrong, stepped off of the Eagle's ladder, placed one foot upon the moon's surface and proclaimed: "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind".

CnzplpDVMAAcWgH.jpg

Did you know ... all the color pictures on the moon were of Buzz Aldrin.

Because Neil had the only color camera.

"I love coach Briles," Babers said. "He opened my eyes up to something that I was just closed off to. I was in the dark and he brought me into the light. I think the world of him as a person. He's got a fantastic family and there's no doubt I wouldn't be where I am without some of the things he's done for me."

Babers said he's spoken once with Briles since his dismissal and elected to keep their discussions private. He declined to speak at length about Baylor's situation, only saying that there were good men and families on staff there.

"(Briles is) a good football coach, I think the world of him and I'm sure good things are going to happen to him down the road," Babers said.

I have to say, that statement is a little, well, disappointing. Even a tempered "Mistakes may have been made" and I wouldn't have thought twice about it.

"I love coach Briles," Babers said. "He opened my eyes up to something that I was just closed off to. I was in the dark and he brought me into the light. I think the world of him as a person. He's got a fantastic family and there's no doubt I wouldn't be where I am without some of the things he's done for me."

Babers said he's spoken once with Briles since his dismissal and elected to keep their discussions private. He declined to speak at length about Baylor's situation, only saying that there were good men and families on staff there.

"(Briles is) a good football coach, I think the world of him and I'm sure good things are going to happen to him down the road," Babers said.

I have to say, that statement is a little, well, disappointing. Even a tempered "Mistakes may have been made" and I wouldn't have thought twice about it.

If you listened to the broadcast you would have heard hesitation in his voice. He really didn't want to talk about the situation at Baylor. And what Bailey didn't put in the article was when the host asked him what people told him about taking the job at Syracuse Babers let out a hearty laugh. Said everyone told him NOT to take the job...except someone who he does listen to..Briles. So I guess we have to thank Briles for Babers.