Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
bagpipes1.jpg

Welcome to Bagpipe Appreciation Day!

Today we celebrate and appreciate the storied history of an ancient musical device, the noble Highlands Scottish Bagpipe. To some, bagpipes are viewed as obnoxious, migraine inducing tools of cacophonic destruction; the medieval equivalent of leaf blowers and car horns. For those of weak temperament and weaker hearts, there may be truth to these observations. But to true, full blooded aficionados the great booming drones and shrill piercing beauty of such a mad sonical device can inspire only one word: Epic. So on this day of appreciation, head on over to houseoftartan.com and use their free online program to make your very own Scottish clan tartan to better enjoy your bagpipe experience!

SU News

It turns out Syracuse's new football coach is amazing at cornhole (foxsports.com; Blackburn)

Meet Dino Babers. He's the new coach of Syracuse football, and he is (probably) better than you at cornhole.

Babers came over to the Orange this offseason following two years at Bowling Green, and he apparently brought with him some pretty impressive skills at tailgate games. While outside ESPN's SportsCenter studios this week, Babers showed off stunning accuracy while tossing the bags. He managed to get on the board with all four throws, and he drained the final three in a row.

4554565.jpg

Snowball Effect Officially In Play For Syracuse Recruiting - Today's U (todaysu.com; Holcomb)

It may be a different spelling, but Syracuse fans are already pretty familiar with the name Faegan, –Faegan’s Pub is one of the most popular restaurants in the area among Orange students.

In a couple more years, linebacker Nadarius Fagan could become one of the most popular players for Syracuse football.

The three-star 6-foot-2, 200-pound defender from Miami, Fla., committed to Cuse on Sunday. Other schools on his final list included LSU, Nebraska, USC and Louisville; he also received an offer from Alabama according to Syracuse.com.

“Syracuse is getting a guy that’s going to bring a lot to the table,” Fagan said of himself according to 247Sports. “I’m going to bring leadership and everything else they are looking for.”

Without a doubt, this should be viewed as another huge victory in recruiting for the Orange, and at this pace, Syracuse is on its way to building its best football recruiting class in years.

Fagan is the 15th three-star recruit the Orange have landed for 2017. 247Sports rates the Fagan the No. 34 outside linebacker in the upcoming class.

This is the second time in less than a month that a three-star prospect chose the Orange over a highly regarded football program. In late June, athlete Allen Stritzinger picked Syracuse instead of Michigan because coach Dino Babers confirmed to the young recruit that he saw him as a running back. Other programs, including Michigan, were recruiting Stritzinger to play defense.

Why Clemson-Florida State has become college football's best annual game (cbssports.com; Solomon)

For years, Clemson coach Dabo Swinney faced questions at the ACC Kickoff about when the league's teams would win major nonconference games to make the league nationally relevant again.

"My only message was, 'Listen, we've just got to go to work, keep our mouth shut, keep our head down, and we've got to go win those type of games,'" Swinney said. "If you don't like it, then change it."

Clemson and Florida State changed it. Sure, the ACC could use more depth so it's not perceived simply as a two-team conference. But given where this conference once resided, it's time to acknowledge what's staring us in the face: Clemson-Florida State has become college football's best annual game.

Yes, it's even better than Alabama-LSU.

Before this goes any further, let's define "best." This doesn't mean best rivalry (hello, Alabama-Auburn, Ohio State-Michigan, Texas-Oklahoma, and the list goes on and on). This doesn't definitively mean the best game in a particular year (2016 nonconference games like Florida State-Ole Miss, Oklahoma-Ohio State, Oklahoma-Houston and Alabama-USC are among many compelling games on a short-term basis). And this doesn't necessarily mean the best game based on viewership (Clemson still has a smaller fan base than another national programs, and games like Alabama-LSU and Ohio State-Michigan are suited to potentially draw higher ratings).

A coach's calling (newburysportsnews.com; Whooley)

Chris White’s career in football has taken him from high school to college to the NFL and back.

It’s moved him from the East Coast to the West Coast and back again.

And now, as the running backs and special teams coordinator at Iowa for the past three years, the Pentucket graduate is smack dab in the middle.

White, a former Groveland native and Sachems football player, has created a career for himself in the sport by moving up through the ranks and hopes to continue climbing.

For now, though, White has over 16 years of experience in the game with seven different teams, but that’s not where his football career starts.

White graduated from Pentucket as a three-sport athlete (football, basketball and baseball) in 1985 after playing for one year under Tom Flaherty and three years under newly arrived Sachems head coach Steve Hayden.

“I just knew (Hayden) was going to be a great coach because he cares about kids,” said White. “He has a great relationship with them and he’s a really, really good football coach and I learned a lot from him.”

Wilson All-Met Sean Savoy and Bullis OL Aiden Brown commit to Virginia Tech football (washingtonpost.com; Gianotto)

Bullis offensive lineman Aiden Brown only knew Wilson All-Met Sean Savoy through Twitter and the two never met in Blacksburg, Va., Saturday when both were in town for a Virginia Tech recruiting event. Even after the pair announced their respective commitments to the Hokies less than an hour apart, as Brown drove home from Montgomery County (Va.) to Montgomery County (Md.) for the start of Bullis football training camp, he wasn’t aware of the connection the two now shared.

Over the weekend, Brown and Savoy became the latest Washington area football prospects to head to Virginia Tech, and the first that were entirely recruited by new Coach Justin Fuente and his staff.
Once last season ended, Savoy picked up scholarship offers from the Hokies, Maryland, Miami, Penn State, Kentucky, Iowa, Rutgers and Syracuse.

CZsDQ3YWQAAYfuu.0.0.jpg

Get To Know Your Orange Man - No. 36, LB Tim Walton (TNIAAM; Menefee)

Name: Tim Walton
Position: Linebacker
Year: Freshman
Height: 6’2"
Weight: 224 lbs.
Hometown: Detroit, Mich.
Highschool: Cass Technical
2015 Stats: As a senior, he led the team in tackles with 121 and also grabbed two interceptions.
2016 Projections: As an incoming freshman, he's not listed on the Syracuse Orange'spost spring depth chart. He played inside linebacker in high school, so assuming he's at the same position, he'll be behind junior Zaire Franklin, redshirt freshman Troy Henderson, and sophomore Kyle Kleinberg.
How’d He Get Here?: Walton originally committed to Illinois but flipped to Syracuse about a week before signing day. D-line Coach Vinson Reynolds and Walton have a strong relationship that played a big part in bringing him to Syracuse.
What’d Recruiting Sites Say?: 3 stars across the board (Scout, Rivals, 247, and ESPN).
Links of Wonder: More on his Illinois decommitment from MLive.com.
Money Quote: Here's a quote about Walton's work ethic in high school from MLive.com:
When Tim Walton first transferred from Bloomfield Hills Brother Rice to Detroit Cass Tech, he asked Tom Wilcher for a pair of keys to the weight room.
"I’ll lock up for you when I’m done," Walton confidently told his new football coach. "I’ll be the last to leave."

Colts’ Art Jones accepts blame for taking banned substance (WLFI; AP)

Indianapolis Colts defensive lineman Arthur Jones made one thing clear Tuesday: He blames himself for a failed test that resulted in a four-game suspension.

Three days after the league announced Jones violated its performance-enhancing substance policy, Jones arrived at training camp and explained he mistakenly took a banned ingredient in a supplement.

“Obviously it’s not how I wanted to start my camp,” he said. “You know, not going into too many details — it’s the situation I’m in.”

Jones is eligible to practice with the Colts and play in preseason games until final cuts are made Sept. 3. The 30-year-old Syracuse product avoiding going on the physically unable to perform list and could be on the field for Indy’s first workout Wednesday. Jones won’t be eligible to play in his first regular season game until the first week of return to the team until Oct. 3.

Other

19304536-standard.jpg

12 best food cities in Upstate New York, ranked (photo gallery; newyorkupdate.com; D'Imperio)

Having authored a book titled "A Taste of Upstate New York: A Guide to 40 Treasures", I feel I have eaten in just about every city across the Upstate region. As I look through my food journals, here are some interesting findings I came up with about Upstate's great "Food Cities.

if you go and look at the a&m team they had some decent passing games, but also threw a ton of INTS after babers stopped being Coord.. they struggled to run against several teams avg 2 yds a carry several games. passinf they were 14-31 against pitt, 14-35 vs VT , after the change went 15-30, 15-37, 20-37, 20-37, 11-22, they also had a few good passing games but were a bout a 50% passing team, the fact they could only run for 100 game was the bigger issue when you cant pass well.

they were 3-0 and after the change went 3-6.

Tom:
We moved a thousand miles closer to Syracuse and naturally guessed that Colorado Springs would be blanketed in all things Boeheim. Salt potatoes would once more be available at the local market. A blinding snowstorm would force a bag of kitty litter to appear in the trunk. When we arrived, I was excited to see Orange everywhere; but, alas, there is another team with a darker tone that hails from Denver. The Block S covering the spare tire on the back of my Jeep is the only true Orange found near the Mile High City. Snowfall is mediocre on the front range and salt potatoes are a fond memory. Floyd Little is the only Syracuse they know here, so I have to express my affection for Field Hockey and Lacrosse in the man-cave.
I really appreciate that you accepted the torch from Orangeyes, and post these daily updates. Otherwise, I just might have fallen for the hipster-school in Boulder.
War Damn Otto,
Greg

Tom:
We moved a thousand miles closer to Syracuse and naturally guessed that Colorado Springs would be blanketed in all things Boeheim. Salt potatoes would once more be available at the local market. A blinding snowstorm would force a bag of kitty litter to appear in the trunk. When we arrived, I was excited to see Orange everywhere; but, alas, there is another team with a darker tone that hails from Denver. The Block S covering the spare tire on the back of my Jeep is the only true Orange found near the Mile High City. Snowfall is mediocre on the front range and salt potatoes are a fond memory. Floyd Little is the only Syracuse they know here, so I have to express my affection for Field Hockey and Lacrosse in the man-cave.
I really appreciate that you accepted the torch from Orangeyes, and post these daily updates. Otherwise, I just might have fallen for the hipster-school in Boulder.
War Damn Otto,
Greg
Thank you. It is my honor to continue the Orangeyes tradition.

Only 1554 more miles and you will be in Buffalo, where your assumptions will be a lot closer to coming true. Google says 23 hours. Not so bad...

Thank you. It is my honor to continue the Orangeyes tradition.

Only 1554 more miles and you will be in Buffalo, where your assumptions will be a lot closer to coming true. Google says 23 hours. Not so bad...
Yeah, but it's Buffalo.