Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
National%20Trail%20Mix%20Day.jpeg

Welcome to National Trail Mix Day!

National Trail Mix Day features a high energy, tasty treat for the trail or snacks. You can buy packages of trail mix at a store. Or, you can make up your own, using the ingredients you like best.

When you head out to a campout, a hike or to go biking, take the Trail Mix along with you. It provides the extra energy boost to keep you from getting tired and running out of energy along the trail. Don't limit trail mix to the trail. It is also good at campouts.

SU News

usa-today-8782467.0.jpg

Syracuse football opponent preview: Colgate Raiders Q&A (TNIAAM; Cassillo)

It’s week one! The Syracuse Orange actually play a game (on Friday), so we might as well start talking about it and their opponent, the Colgate Raiders.

Below, Ryan Dowgin (who you can follow on Twitter) stops by to tell us everything we need to know about about ‘Gate, HOODOO and more. Ryan’s a former Raiders football player and runs Colgate Football Memorabilia Collection — pretty much the web’s only Colgate football blog.

Does Syracuse matter to Colgate fans anymore? Or do you guys have more immediate fish to fry when it comes to sports?
Syracuse still matters, but not in the same way as the old days. The Colgate-Syracuse football game used to be the biggest sporting event of the year at Colgate, but now it’s just a chance to make some headlines and knock off a local FBS team. The more immediate fish to fry are the other Patriot League schools because winning all of those games guarantees a trip to the FCS playoffs.

The Raiders come into the season ranked. What are expectations like for 2016?
Expectations are high for 2016. The 2015 team ran the table in the Patriot League and made it to the Quarterfinals of the FCS playoffs. There were some key players that graudated, but overall most of the starters from 2015 are back. The expectation every year is to win the Patriot League and then make some noise in the playoffs and I think we are set up to do that again.

What do you think of Jake Melville's Walter Payton award chances this season?
He’s got a great shot, but it all depends on staying healthy (insert picture of me knocking on wood). For Syracuse fans who do not know, Jake is the latest in our long line of dual-threat QBs. He went 193/351 for 2,552 yards, 11 TD, and two INTs while rushing 186 times for 1,073 yards and 11 TDs. If he puts up similar or better numbers this year while leading us to the playoffs then he will be in the conversation for sure.

Syracuse obviously changed its system on both sides of the ball this offseason. What have you heard about Dino Babers's changes up to now?
I have not heard much about him to be honest. I do know that some of the hires he made will be familiar names to Colgate fans. JB Gerald is your new Director of High School Relations and was a big part of the 2003 Raiders team that went to the 1-AA national championship game. Nick Monroe is your new secondary coach and spent six years coaching at Colgate winning two league titles in 2005 and 2008.

PROS AND CONS: How playing in the Baylor-style offense affects quarterbacks' transition to the NFL (DO; Schwedelson)

To read Part 1 of the Babers Offense Series, click here. To read Part 2, click here.

Syracuse has used six different quarterbacks over the past two seasons. The Orange ranked 13th in the Atlantic Coast Conference in total offense last year. Its offensive play-calling has come under scrutiny.

Enter Dino Babers, who has repeatedly beamed about the offensive scheme he’s bringing to SU. And the team he’s leading, especially his quarterback, can be molded.

Starter Eric Dungey still has three years of eligibility remaining. Babers has said there’s no doubt that over time, the system will work. That means Dungey could join a select group by the time his Syracuse career is over.

Kevin Kolb, Robert Griffin III, Jimmy Garoppolo and Bryce Petty all spent multiple seasons in the Baylor-style offense and put up video game-like numbers. Griffin won the Heisman Trophy. But they’ve also all had up-and-down stints in the NFL. Griffin, Garoppolo and Petty still have chances to improve and match their college success.

“Scouts like to see them in a pro-style system because you see them run what they’re going to run in the NFL,” said Mark Dulgerian, an NFL Network researcher and scout for Optimum Scouting. “I don’t want to say they can’t be successful, they just haven’t practiced making some of the reads and some of the throws that they’re going to need in the NFL.

“It’s just a lot more difficult.”

Dungey has the chance to be the next in line. And if he enters the NFL, the same question that follows his predecessors will almost undoubtedly follow him. Can he handle the complexity of NFL offenses?

Syracuse football's defensive line is out to prove people wrong (DO; Schneidman)

First Ron Thompson left for the NFL Draft with a year of eligibility remaining. Then graduate transfer Gabe Sherrod backed out of his Syracuse pledge to join Michigan State. And when Jake Pickard dressed in sweats for a recent practice, it couldn’t seem to get any worse for the Orange’s defensive line.

Pickard, who was listed as a first-teamer on the post-spring depth chart, is now a backup wearing a brace on his left knee. The only freshman starter, Kendall Coleman, jumped him on the depth chart and 296-pound Chris Slayton shifted from defensive tackle to the outside to help Syracuse at arguably its most depleted unit.

“If you’ve got a son or a friend who’s playing defensive end, get excited,” first-year SU head coach Dino Babers said. “Buy some tickets because they’re going to be in the game.”

For a team that ranked 12th out of 14 teams in the conference in rushing yards allowed per game, and last in average opponent yards per rush, losing three starters on the defensive line — Thompson, Donnie Simmons Jr. and John Raymon — certainly didn’t help. Instead, Syracuse will rely on an 18-year-old who’s never played a collegiate snap, a converted defensive end who put on eight pounds as he was supposed to anchor the interior with fellow defensive tackle Kayton Samuels this season and a host of others to plug the gaps in SU’s first line of defense.

Syracuse football: TNIAAM staff predictions for 2016 (TNIAAM; Staff)

Kevin Wall (6-6)
I think Syracuse starts off with a 3-2 record, beats Wake Forest and Boston College on the road and finds a way to win at home against NC State to earn a bowl bid. There are going to be moments when the offense clicks (NC State) and games where the team is difficult to watch (Louisville), but I think the offensive skill players are able to get the Orange to the six-win plateau.

Ari Gilberg (5-7)
Notre Dame, Clemson and Florida State are all guaranteed losses, let’s simply establish that right off the bat. Louisville and Pittsburgh are both pretty damn close as well, so Syracuse takes another two Ls there. That leaves Colgate, USF, UCONN, Wake Forest, Virginia Tech, Boston College and NC State. With an improved offense but an inexperienced and lackluster defense, I think the Orange will go 5-2 against that slate and finish with a respectable 5-7 record.

Steve Haller (5-7)
I've got to rationally settle on 5-7 as my measuring stick for the year. Trying to look at this in a reasonable manner, You've got three wins in Colgate, BC and Wake. You've got two guaranteed losses in FSU and Clemson. You've got some should-be-favorable tossups in UConn and USF. You've got a less favorable in NC State and maybe Tech and then some probable losses with Pitt, ND and Louisville. I think you'll see some growing pains with the offense and the youth on the defense. We'll see if the Babers era is in full swing by week two, but the tale of the tape will be the two games after that. If they can take the two swing games against USF and UConn then who knows, there may be another surprise "W" in there, but I'm setting my bar at 5-7.

Syracuse football: Riley Dixon wins Denver Broncos punter job (TNIAAM; Cassillo)

When the Denver Broncos selected former Syracuse Orange football player Riley Dixon in this year’s NFL Draft, it was thought that he’d have his work cut out for him to make the full roster. It ends up that Dixon was up for the work...

Broncos release P Britton Colquitt.

— Nicki Jhabvala (@NickiJhabvala) August 30, 2016
With his only competitor for the role, Britton Colquitt, off the roster, Dixon is officially the Broncos’ punter now. In three preseason games, he’s averaged nearly 44 (!!!) yards per punt and out-played Colquitt enough that Denver was willing to go with the cheaper rookie (Dixon) over the veteran.

Yesterday, the Broncos made news by naming one-time Syracuse foe Trevor Siemian their new starting quarterback. You may remember him from the time Northwestern used a shady personal foul call to beat the Orange in the Carrier Dome, 42-41 in 2012. That afternoon, Siemian went 8-for-11 with 78 passing yards and one TD (Kain Colter had the majority of the throws on the afternoon). Now that same quarterback is the Broncos starter. What could go wrong?

The obviously talented Dixon has had some luck along the way to NFL stardom, so there’s always potential he could get help yet again to meet his true calling. Should Siemian, who most fans seem underwhelmed with, fail to lead the defending Super Bowl champs, perhaps they go a different direction at QB? A more dynamic, defender-punching, trick-playing direction?

Would be quite the leap for the former local walk-on punter. But at this point, are you really going to doubt it?

donboscofile083016.JPG

H.S. football 2016 preview: NJSFC United division - Sports - NorthJersey.com (northjersey.com; Staff)

DON BOSCO

The reigning Non-Public Group 4 champion looks to repeat and build another strong campaign.

The Ironmen have a talented QB in senior Tommy DeVito (1,248 passing yards in 2015), who is committed to Syracuse. Don Bosco will have to replace 1,000-yard RB Malik Bakker, but the Ironmen have a strong returner in junior Elijah Thomas ready to help fill that void.

The Ironmen should be strong defensively again, and have an excellent DE in senior Marcus Valdez, who is committed to Boston College.

Coach Greg Toal is one victory from 300 for his career.

Keep an eye on …

Tyler Friday, jr., DT; Elijah Singh, sr., WR; Kevin Brennan, jr., RB.

2016 ACC football team-by-team previews - The Boston Globe (bostonglobe.com; Benbow)

SYRACUSE

Coach: Dino Babers (first year).

2015 record: 4-8 (2-6, fifth).

Key player: Steve Ishmael, junior, WR, 39 catches, 570 yards, 7 TDs.

Outlook: Of the four new coaches in the ACC, Babers is the only one in the Atlantic Division, where Clemson and Florida State play. Knowing how hard it will be to rebuild an Orange program coming off back-to-back losing seasons, he joked at the ACC kickoff: “I think I have a high IQ. I’m not sure. I’m going to have to go back and check.”

What new Syracuse gameday tradition would you create? (TNIAAM; Keeley)

We're less than a week from a new Syracuse Orange football season and that means it's time to brush up on the traditions you'll be taking part in if you attend a home game in the Carrier Dome.

The Daily Orange recently published a list of sports traditions incoming freshman have to learn and many of them are going to come up this Friday when SU hosts the Colgate Raiders for the season opener. There's the SUMB pregame show on the quad before the game, jingling your keys on third down, singing the Alma Mater immediately following the game, and heading over to the Varsity afterward to take part in the banner flip when we win.

When basketball season gets here, there's of course the #StandAndClap until SU scores a field goal, celebrating Taco Time when he score 70 points, and more.

My question to you is...if you could swap out any of those traditions for a new one, what would it be?

For example, I've made my disdain for the #StandAndClap pretty clear and I'd love to replace it with something more unique and fun (because it's not fun. It's just not). I'd love to see more soccer-style chants and celebrations be a part of the college sports experience so I'd much prefer to hear some kind of stadium-wide cheer or song that we all do together when the game starts. Something that lets the opponent know we are going to get loud and we're going to stay that way the entire game and there's nothing you can do to stop us (well, until you hit a bunch of threes). I think it's the kind of thing that also inspired some SU fans to remain active and loud no matter what during the game. Maybe even leads to a dedicated section that never sits, never stops cheering, never stops singing.

Other

tullys-chicken-tendersjpg-c8586917543ea0c1.jpg

NYS Fair 2016: 12 kid friendly foods to vanquish hunger-induced meltdowns (PS; Cazentre)

Eating at the New York State Fair can be a breeze with kids with buckets of French fries and heaps of pasta in abundance.

But what if your 5-year-old is hangry and your 12-year-old is complaining and the only thing you see when you look up is gator on a stick and wine slushies?

This list of kid friendly munchies will have you covered no matter where you are on the fairgrounds.

1. Tully's Good Times
What's here? Tully's chicken tenders are a state fair classic and the ultimate in kid food.
Review: The tenders are "justifiably famous: extra crispy on the outside, juicy and tender inside," said Don Cazentre.
Where: Start of Broadway.

2. Cahoot's

What's here? A gentle way to introduce your child to the wonder of unholy state fair food mashups, the mac and cheese hot dog will blow young minds.
Review: Chris Baker said, "The perfect balance of cheese and dog, this one was hard to stop eating."
Where: The West End.

3. Dr. Vegetable
What's here? If you think your kid won't eat vegetables, try drowning them in batter and deep frying them into oblivion.
Review: "Crispy, hot, greasy and delicious pieces of cauliflower, broccoli, onion, mushroom and zucchini," said Tim Knauss.
Where: Restaurant Row.

4. Heid's of Liverpool

http://cuse.com/news/2016/8/30/acad...olar-athletes-of-the-week.aspx?path=academics

Anthony is a dual major in finance and real estate in the Martin J. Whitman School of Management. A native of Baldwinsville, N.Y., Anthony joined the Orange squad prior to the 2013 season and has since made a shift from defensive back to linebacker. Anthony serves in a leadership role for the Syracuse chapter of Uplifting Athletes and as the vice president of community outreach for the Syracuse Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC).

Anthony played in 11 games on special teams last season, most prominently on kickoff return. He earned ACC Honor Roll recognition in 2015 and has been named to the SU Athletic Director's Honor Roll every semester since his start in the fall of 2013.

http://cuse.com/news/2016/8/30/acad...olar-athletes-of-the-week.aspx?path=academics

Anthony is a dual major in finance and real estate in the Martin J. Whitman School of Management. A native of Baldwinsville, N.Y., Anthony joined the Orange squad prior to the 2013 season and has since made a shift from defensive back to linebacker. Anthony serves in a leadership role for the Syracuse chapter of Uplifting Athletes and as the vice president of community outreach for the Syracuse Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC).

Anthony played in 11 games on special teams last season, most prominently on kickoff return. He earned ACC Honor Roll recognition in 2015 and has been named to the SU Athletic Director's Honor Roll every semester since his start in the fall of 2013.

Way to go.