Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
11923265074_3d2b5166b4.jpg

Welcome to Feast of Fabulous Wild Men Day!

"It's Feast Of Fabulous Wild Men!" "Ogle and whistle at all the hunks you come across ! Just act wild and ask all your friends to do the same." Send our smart, stylish and fun ecards to anyone you feel like and celebrate the day in a unique manner!"

SU News

4012518_c8e2ad7c51cf4f399ef86080810169a7.jpg

Recruiting notes: Rich Central's Matthew Stuckey gets offer from NIU (chicagotribune.cmo; Narang)

Minnesota intrigues Marozas: Minnesota's football program will always carry a special meaning for Brother Rice junior left tackle Nick Marozas.

His first offer was from the Gophers on Dec. 6.

But Marozas said the Gophers are a more attractive sell with the recent hiring of former Western Michigan coach P.J. Fleck. Marozas also had an offer from Western Michigan when Fleck was coaching in Kalamazoo. Marozas said he wants to talk with Minnesota about its interest.

"The hiring of coach P.J. Fleck was cool," Marozas said. "He's probably one of my favorite coaches, and when I met him at Western, it was pretty nice. I like his energy and passion."

Marozas said he will probably make unofficial visits to Michigan State and Syracuse in January.

"It's going to be a busy January," he said.

Area Sports Briefs (dailystar.com; Staff)

Football clinic to

start in February

The NYSHSFCA will hold its annual football clinic at the Turning Stone Resort from Feb. 2-4.

The clinic's keynote speaker will be Dino Babers, head coach of Syracuse football.

For more information, contact George Mangicaro at gjmangica@twcny.rr.com

Oneonta athletics to

efea247b-90db-42a2-d4e4-dd8f8803803e-large16x9_340f9bbad43e4517df3ef70e396e053cDERRICKGORE.jpg

Syracuse native Derrick Gore to transfer from Alabama (cnycentral.com; Tamurian)

Syracuse native and Nottingham High School graduate Derrick Gore announced via social media he would be transferring from Alabama Football.

Gore walked-on with the Crimson Tide after playing junior college football in Coffeyville, Kansas.

In his first year with Alabama he earned a National Championship, of course this season the Tide fell to Clemson.

Gore scored a rushing touchdown against Florida in the SEC Championship as well as blocking a kick in that game. He rushed for 93 yards on the year.

As part of his post on Instagram, Gore says "To be clear, I want to give a special thanks to Coach Saban and Coach Burns for giving this kid from NY a shot."

One can assume Gore is looking for a place to see more action in his final two years of eligibility.

21851270-mmmain.jpg

Sean Keeley Q&A: Founder of Troy Nunes is an Absolute Magician stepping away from blog (PS; Carlson)

Sean Keeley founded the popular Syracuse sports blog Troy Nunes is an Absolute Magician 11 years ago, part of his effort to find a creative outlet that would allow him to write, and explore comedy, on a daily basis.

Over time, the site became a place for Syracuse fans to congregate, and Keeley became one of the prominent faces of the Syracuse fanbase, giving voice to their ideas and feelings.

He mixed a keen understanding of social media, a sharp wit and perhaps most importantly, an impeccable sense of humor. The blog developed its following during football's Greg Robinson era, when SU football fans could only laugh or cry.

Keeley recently moved from Seattle to Chicago, and began a new job with Neighborhoods.com. Along with those changes, Keeley, 38, a graduate of Syracuse's Class of 2000, announced on Monday that he is stepping away from his duties editing Troy Nunes is an Absolute Magician as he looks to spend more of his free time on other pursuits.

Long-time Nunes contributor John Casillo, another Syracuse graduate, will be taking over Keeley's position as editor. Keeley will write for the site occasionally, when he feels moved to chime in.

Keeley reminisced with Syracuse.com about his decade running a Syracuse fan blog in the question-and-answer session below.

Well, what led to your decision to step away now?

It's a decision I've been thinking about for a while now. As I've gotten older and had more things on my plate and my priorities have shifted the free time I had for Nunes has kind of diminished. I've also always been someone who, I consider myself a really big college football fan. I don't get quite as excited for college basketball. I consider myself a Syracuse basketball fan but I'm not really that into college basketball. It's tough to maintain a level of enthusiasm when you're writing about college basketball every day. What's happened the last few years is I've been really excited for football season and then, when it's over, I've kind of wondered if it's time to move on from this. I think the move to Chicago and thinking about other things I want to be doing with my career, and having John on staff, and a really great staff in place, it felt like the right time.

Here's Some Syracuse Football 2017 Notes And Quotes | FOX Sports (foxsports.com; Edsen Jr)

What does 2017 look like for the Syracuse football program? Well at least they have an engaging head coach in Dino Babers.
The past is bleak, the future is bright, and the present is enticing with head coach Dino Babers at the helm. The rest of the country got to witness the engaging personality of one former Hawaiian.

He as witty as ever and he is just the most personable coach I’ve ever come in contact with. So what’s in store for 2017? Lets dive in.

The college football season ended on Monday when the Clemson Tigers and the Alabama Crimson Tide collided in a classic clash. It just shows you how good the ACC is. Which is what SU is up against not only this season, but every season.

Recruiting weekends continue to occur which is leading up to national signing day on the first Wednesday in February. Spring practices are right around the corner and the annual spring game is soon after that.

ESPN.com’s Mark Schlabach released his annual, way-too-early top 25 for 2017 after the game on Monday. Which featured a few SU opponents in 2017.

• At Florida State
  • Clemson
  • At LSU
  • At Miami
  • At Louisville
  • Pittsburgh
SU played four of the six opponents on this list in 2016. They didn’t fare well, 0-4 to be exact, giving up 237 points total, giving up on average 59.3 points per contest. Which leads us to what can change in 2017?

Babers has said that the offense will be clicking midway through next season. But it isn’t the offense that SU fans are worried about, it’s the defense.

9 names for the Western Michigan football coaching job (battlecreekenquirer.com; Folsom)

Here are nine names WMU might consider:

Tony Annese, Ferris State head coach
One of the best offensive minds in the Midwest, Annese has won at multiple levels, including taking the Bulldogs to the NCAA Division II semifinal this fall. He won three Division 2 state championships at Muskegon High, two national championships in three seasons at Grand Rapids Community College and has taken Ferris from the GLIAC basement to a national power. His veer offense has been unstoppable, and three Bulldogs are in the NFL. One of his biggest achievements was turning a hardly recruited defensive end in Jason Vander Laan into one of the greatest rushing quarterbacks in college football history. Vander Laan won back-to-back Harlon Hill trophies, and his 5,953 career rushing yards are the most by any college QB.

Mike Denbrock, Notre Dame receivers coach
Denbrock grew up in Homer, which is just east of Kalamazoo along I-94. He is in his second stint with the Fighting Irish, serving under Brian Kelly since 2012. He has past coaching experience at Michigan State and GVSU and has sent the likes of Will Fuller and T.J. Jones to the NFL as top draft picks.

Mike Hart, Syracuse running backs coach
After the former Michigan running back retired from the NFL in 2010, he changed his focus to achieving his next goal: becoming the head coach of the Wolverines. Ron English gave him his first shot, as a quality control coach at Eastern Michigan in 2011, and Hart eventually became his running backs coach. After English's firing in 2013, seemingly every coach left the Eagles except for Hart. They had no head coach nor staff, but he made recruiting trips to Indiana and Illinois to keep EMU's 2014 class alive. Fleck saw that hustle, and Hart joined the Broncos shortly thereafter. Hart is now a running backs coach at Syracuse -- his hometown -- and continues to work his way up the ladder. He has no head coaching experience -- nor even as an offensive coordinator -- but neither did Fleck when he joined WMU.

Charles Huff, Penn State RBs coach
How much does a win-loss record really matter? After the Broncos finished 1-11 in Fleck's first season in 2013, incoming Penn State coach James Franklin plucked away WMU running backs coach Charles Huff, who worked under Franklin at Vanderbilt in 2011. Huff since has turned Saquon Barkley into a back-to-back 1,000-yard rusher and helped the Nittany Lions recruit the nation's No. 1 running back, five-star Miles Sanders, in 2016.

Tim Lester, Purdue quarterbacks coach
Lester's ties to WMU are too great to overlook. He was a four-year starting QB for the Broncos in 1996-99. He threw for 11,299 career passing yards, which ranked him fourth in FBS history at the time, and 89 touchdowns, setting 17 program and Mid-American Conference records in the process. He returned to WMU in 2005 to be its quarterbacks coach. He has had two stints as a head coach, including one year at Saint Joseph's (Indiana), where he went 7-4, and five years at Elmhurst (Illinois), where he compiled a 33-19 record.

Former U-M RB De'Veon Smith tweets good luck to Wheatley re: WMU job (freep.com; Snyder)

Just when it appeared Michigan had a full staff again after Jedd Fisch's departure and the reported arrival of Pep Hamilton to take his place, there may be more movement.

U-M running backs coach Tyrone Wheatley may be a candidate for the Western Michigan head coaching vacancy.

That's the implication from the tweets of his former running back De'Veon Smith, who wished him luck late Wednesday night, saying he hopes Wheatley gets the job, which opened when P.J. Fleck left for Minnesota on Jan. 6.

Wishing @CoachWheat6 good luck on getting the Western Michigan job!

— De'Veon Smith (@i_BSmith4) January 12, 2017
Yes I hope he gets the job!!

— De'Veon Smith (@i_BSmith4) January 12, 2017
On Jan. 7, Western Michigan running back Matt Falcon, who was a U-M commit after Wheatley took the job at Michigan in January 2015, tweeted cryptically.

Doug Marrone hire gets a ‘C-minus’ from Sports Illustrated (blackandteal.com; Lago)

Most fans were underwhelmed by the promotion of interim head coach Doug Marrone to the full time gig, and so was most of the national media.
The Jacksonville Jaguars had a roller coaster of a Monday news-wise, angering fans with the hiring of Doug Marrone as the full time head coach and subsequently quelling some of the vitriol by announcing Tom Coughlin as the new executive vice president of football operations.

There are still a lot of questions left to answer in terms of power structure and coaching staff, but it’s worth analyzing the hire of Marrone in a vacuum. By most accounts, Marrone is a very good head coach who got the Syracuse football program and the Buffalo Bills going in the right direction. He left a bad taste in peoples’ mouths with his abrupt departure from Buffalo, but in retrospect it appears he made the right decision.

Chris Burke over at Sports Illustrated discussed the hiring in some detail, including a grade that indicates he isn’t too impressed.

Other

Did Gov. Cuomo rule out a raised highway to replace I-81 in Syracuse? (PS; Hannagan)

Gov. Andrew Cuomo Wednesday laid out five choices for replacing Interstate 81 in Syracuse, but rebuilding the highway as an elevated roadway wasn't one of the options.

Rebuilding the 1.4-mile section of highway with another elevated highway that slices through the city has always made the cut over the last four years as the state Department of Transportation narrowed its choices on how to replace the aging I-81.

During his state of the state speech Wednesday, Cuomo said he ordered DOT to hire an independent firm "to carefully study all possible replacement options, including a tunnel, community grid, depressed highway, combination community grid/tunnel or combination community grid/depressed highway."

The announcement came during the governor's "State of the State" address Wednesday, his fifth in three days.

The raised highway option, which is estimated to cost about $1.7 billion, apparently didn't make the governor's cut.

The governor's office said the elevated highway, called a viaduct by the experts, is out. But, it could be put back into play if the consultant believes it should be one of options for replacing I-81, the governor's office said.

Prior to the governor's speech, it appeared the DOT was heading toward knocking down the highway, sending "through" traffic around the city on Interstate 481 and using local streets to carry traffic to Syracuse destinations. This is called the "community grid" option.

Last edited:
Good look at area players over the past 50 years.

CNY's 50 all-time greatest high school football players, in order
Good list but you can't omit Vic Hanson, who attended Central HS in Syracuse and was an AA end at Syracuse. He is a member of the College Football Hall of Fame...probably the only player from CNY to gain that honor (though Hart will probably join him some day).

Bill Horr was an AA lineman for Syracuse circa 1908 who was from Munnsville. He also won medals in the Olympics in throwing events.

James Williams was a great athlete from Henninger who went on to play at Wyoming. He was drafted by the Pats in 1983

Paul Tripoli was a star at Liverpool, went on to play at Alabama.

Trent Patterson was a great OL at Henninger and started for a couple of years for Alabama at OG in the late 1980s.