Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
happy-pig-smiling.jpg

Welcome to National Pig Day!

National Pig Day is an event held annually on March 1 in the United States to celebrate the pig. The holiday celebration was started in 1972 by sisters Ellen Stanley, a teacher in Lubbock, Texas, and Mary Lynne Rave of Beaufort, North Carolina.[1][2][3]According to Rave the purpose of National Pig Day is "to accord the pig its rightful, though generally unrecognized, place as one of man's most intellectual and domesticated animals."[2] The holiday is most often celebrated in the Midwest.[4]

National Pig Day includes events at zoos, schools,[5] nursing homes, and sporting events around the United States. It is also recognized at "pig parties" where pink pig punch and pork delicacies are served, and pink ribbon pigtails are tied around trees in the pigs' honor.[2] According to Chase's Calendar of Events, National Pig Day is on the same day as pseudo-holidays Share a Smile day and Peanut Butter Lover's day.[6] It is an open question whether the holiday is a time to honor pigs by "giving them a break" or to appreciate their offerings (spare ribs, bacon and ham).[7]

SU News

os-pictures-markenzy-pierre-kissimmee-liberty--008

Syracuse Football Recruiting Sitdown: Markenzy Pierre (itld; Edsen Jr)

We’ve gotten the chance to interview several of the Syracuse football team’s newest recruits. Lets move to the running back position to talk to Markenzy Pierre.

We decided to ask him some key questions regarding his decision to come to CNY, his affinity with Adrian Peterson, and his lofty goals for the future.

This guy has a great head on his shoulder, he’s passionate, and I can’t wait to see him in the Carrier Dome. But before we jump the gun, lets learn a little bit more about him.

A fantastic interview with Pierre, if you’d like you can follow him on Twitter here: @MarkenzyP. Without further adieu lets get to our interview.

1b304a39379471e227d0d3ffca96.jpg

Syracuse Football Recruiting Sitdown: Russell Thompson-Bishop (itlh.com; Edsen Jr)

So first off why Syracuse? What was so enticing about this program?

Russell Thompson (@RTB__1):

I became interested in Syracuse in March, my uncle John Lobon is an alum and a person who was involved in many changes to the school when he was there. So I visited in June & did a private workout and got the offer. I fell in love with the coaches, and facilities. No other school recruited me harder, showed more attention, fit me as well as a WR & was the best balance of my offers of Academics and Athletics.

You speak eloquently about both the academics and athletics side of things, do you have hopes of the NFL or do you have another passion?

Russell Thompson (@RTB__1):

Yes I have hopes and dreams of going to the NFL, that is why I chose Syracuse over the ivy leagues. It provided me better opportunities while also getting a great education.

Syracuse Football Alumni In The NFL Part 5: Riley Dixon (itlh.com; Edsen Sr)

Riley Dixon – Denver Broncos.
Let me kick this off by saying Riley is one of my favorite Syracuse players of all time. Huh? What is Paul Sr saying now? Did he hit his head? Does he know that Riley was a punter? Ok, ok well let me help erase that minimum wage look off your face as I lay it out for you.

So yes Riley is a punter.

Let us get some of the statistics on the table for you right off. Riley Dixon was selected in the seventh round by the Denver Broncos at number 228.

He was the second of three punters selected in the draft. The other two punters drafter were

Drew Kaser by the San Diego Charger at pick 179 and Lachlan Edwards by the New York J-E-T-S at pick 235.

He had the best rookie campaign of any punter in NFL history with a record 41.3 yard average net per punt and was selected by the Professional Football Writers of America All Rookie Team for 2016.

The hidden stat that defines punters is even more impressive; 31 percent of all of his punts pinned Denver’s opponents inside their own twenty yard line.

NC State Stuff: The case for validity :: WRALSportsFan.com (wralsportsfan.com; Brownlow)

When it comes to proving whether or not NC State Stuff is real, you have to start in the most ridiculous place.

That’s how I ended up at Oakwood Cemetery.

In August 2015, it was announced that there were some unmarked graves in front of Gate 6 at Carter-Finley Stadium that would need to be relocated to Oakwood. The jokes immediately started flying about NC State’s football and basketball arenas essentially being built on top of a burial ground of some sort, maybe a cursed one. Perhaps there were some restless spirits tired of being trod upon.

Robin Simonton, executive director at Oakwood Cemetery, treated those “move-ins” from NC State just as kindly as she has treated all the others. She does a ritual of sorts in her head to welcome them to Oakwood when they arrive, she said, and she promises them that this will be their final resting place.

There’s still a lot unknown about the bodies found at Gate 6. NC State has known about the existence of that cemetery for at least a century, and it had not been marked off as a cemetery to avoid potential grave-robbing, according to Simonton. Another point scored for NC State in terms of respecting the dead. NC State didn’t want to move the graves unless they had to. But, as Simonton said, “progress happens”.

11 takeaways from 2017’s returning starters list (sbnation.com; Johnson)

9. That doesn’t mean the whole ACC is inexperienced, however.

With 20 returning starters, per Steele, Syracuse leads the country. Basically the entire defense is coming back, with 93 percent of the unit’s production returning. You should trust Dino Babers to coach up the offense, so not having to replace cogs on defense is huge.

NC State and Florida State rank highly as well, Clemson only needs to effectively replace Deshaun Watson to again be considered a contender, and Louisville returns the Heisman Trophy winner, so the ACC Atlantic again looks stacked.

Other

-e3d1f8830921fe3c.JPG

Movie star Zac Efron goes fly fishing in Upstate NY with brother, friends (PS; Figura)

Movie star Zac Efron was fly fishing Upstate NY recently with his brother, Dylan, and friends.

On Feb. 23, Efron posted on Twitter: "Fishing with my bro @DylanEfron and the boys. Life's good."

Dylan Efron also tweeted later that day: "Road trip! Upstate NY in search of fish."

It's not clear from their tweets and Instram photos where exactly they were fishing and how long they stayed, but at least one woman commented that the guys were in Pulaski on the Salmon River.

Cassie from Fulton tweeted on Sunday: "Did anyone else know that Zac Efron was in Pulaski all weekend fishing."

Anglers this time of year are flyfishing on the Salmon River and other Lake Ontario and Lake Erie tributaries for steelhead and brown trout.

A spokesman at the privately run, Douglaston Salmon Run said this morning he hadn't heard of anyone famous being there, or elsewhere on the river recently.

Jim Button, owner of the Salmon River Sports Shop in Pulaski, said he hadn't heard anything. In fact, he said he didn't know who Efron was.

"Look, we have movie stars, singers, politicians blow through here all the time," he said. "You often can't recognize them in their waders or with their hats on.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom